Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default Oh, Lord

This really sucks. 30 people missing after a dive boat caught fire off Santa Cruz island:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-ki...ta-cruz-island
    Last edited by Elessar; 09-02-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

2. Thanks Kathianne, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    This really sucks. 30 people missing after a dive boat caught fire off Sanat Cruz island:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-ki...ta-cruz-island
    Fire is the big fear, even on smaller boats.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So sad:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...a-cruz-island/

At Least 4 Dead, 30 Missing In Charter Boat Fire Off Ventura County Coast
    September 2, 2019 at 1:35 pmF

VENTURA (CBSLA) – Five people were rescued, at least four people were killed and another 30 remain missing after a blaze broke out on a charter boat early Monday morning directly off Santa Cruz Island, across from the Ventura County coastline. Authorities confirmed there are fatalities, although the exact number is unknown.

At 3:15 a.m., the U.S. Coast Guard and Ventura County Fire Department crews rushed to a mayday call that the “Conception,” a 75-foot-long charter dive boat carrying 39 people, was ablaze 20 yards off Platts Harbor on the north side of Santa Cruz Island, which is located about 30 miles west of the city of Ventura.

“I can’t breathe!” a member of the crew can be heard screaming in the mayday call obtained by CBS2. There was no word on what may have sparked the blaze.

All five crew members aboard were rescued by a passing good Samaritan boat called the “Grape Escape,” while 34 passengers remain unaccounted for. The crew members jumped off the burning boat, Coast Guard Capt. Monica Rochester told reporters at a news briefing from Channel Islands Harbor.

“The crew was actually already awake and on the bridge and they jumped off,” Rochester said.

The passengers were all below deck at the time.

“The report I received is they (the passengers) were below deck asleep,” Rochester said.

Ventura County Fire crews battled the blaze, but the boat eventually sank in 64 feet of water, about 20 yards offshore.

Just before 11 a.m., the Coast Guard told the Associated Press that four bodies had been recovered near the burned-out boat, leaving 30 people unaccounted for.

As of noon, the Coast Guard was scouring the area with choppers and boats for any possible survivors who had managed to jump off the Conception or made it to the shore.

At around 7:30 a.m., one of the surviving crew members was seen being boated in to Channel Island Harbor by rescuers and then placed into an ambulance to be taken to a hospital. He appeared to have suffered a leg injury. It’s unclear if the man was a crew member or one of the divers.

CBS2 has confirmed Conception is owned by Truth Aquatics, a boat rental service based out of Santa Barbara. It was built in Long Beach and first launched in 1981. According to Truth Aquatics’ website, Conception has a maximum capacity of 46 people. The company would not immediately comment on the incident when reached by CBS2. The charter appeared to have been booked by a group called Worldwide Diving Adventures.

Experienced diver and CBS2 employee Darla Fletcher, who has taken several diving trips with Truth Aquatics, explained that the divers’ quarters on the boat are below deck and very cramped.

“Typically, the crew members will sleep up top, they’re not gonna sleep down there with the divers,” Fletcher said. “Especially on a full boat like this weekend, there were probably divers filling every possible bunk.”

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

If the Captain survived he may as well not have. He's going to be crucified. Rightly so based on the above. You leave your ship before the passengers and you can just hang it up.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

As stated previously, still too early to know what exactly happened. But based on the schematics of the boat that I have seen, if it was a fire that started in the galley and got out of control, there was no way for the passengers to get out, their only exit was up some stairs and through the galley.

Everything I've read, and remember from living in the area for decades on knowing folks, indicates that the company Truth Aquatics, was always responsive and responsible when presented with findings from safety inspections.

Just a terrible, tragic accident... hopefully...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

10. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default Search Suspended

Update: https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/25cc3ad

Survivablity at this point was nil.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    As stated previously, still too early to know what exactly happened. But based on the schematics of the boat that I have seen, if it was a fire that started in the galley and got out of control, there was no way for the passengers to get out, their only exit was up some stairs and through the galley.

Everything I've read, and remember from living in the area for decades on knowing folks, indicates that the company Truth Aquatics, was always responsive and responsible when presented with findings from safety inspections.

Just a terrible, tragic accident... hopefully...

I was mistaken, apparently the was a hatch above a set of the bunks that provided egress from the sleeping quarters to the salon deck, which included the galley. If the fire started in the galley and spread quickly, then I would imagine this escape hatch was useless...

Once the fire started, it was too late for many on board the Conception
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I always hated cases like that, but except for Alaska Air 261, never had a boat case like this.
    Most I recall was 6 people, and we got them all alive.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Moved OT posts to cage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Search for survivors was suspended last evening.

That is one of the hardest decisions a Commanding Officer has to make.

Been there dozens of times. One always has to wonder 'what if'?

A Deplorable!