Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Site down / suspended

If you came earlier today you would have saw a message on the screen that our site was suspended.

The reason for this was an attack on the site overnight and they then suspended us, I guess for the protection of other sites on the same server.

My choice was to find another provider or upgrade things to a better server with them, of course of which I chose. For double the money of course.

This one should hopefully be fine and has ddos protection enabled at all times (for a cost of course! lol ).

** Things are still going on right now, so it's possible it may go back down once again. I'm not even sure yet if this is the new server or old one.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks RoccoR, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    If you came earlier today you would have saw a message on the screen that our site was suspended.

The reason for this was an attack on the site overnight and they then suspended us, I guess for the protection of other sites on the same server.

My choice was to find another provider or upgrade things to a better server with them, of course of which I chose. For double the money of course.

This one should hopefully be fine and has ddos protection enabled at all times (for a cost of course! lol ).

** Things are still going on right now, so it's possible it may go back down once again. I'm not even sure yet if this is the new server or old one.
    Jim, thanks. I saw the notice early this a.m. I'm at work, talk more later. Off tomorrow.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

It would appear that the site was only turned back on and hasn't been moved to any new server. It's possible for more downtime to be coming. If so, you know why and what's going on and that we aren't shut down!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Things have been resolved and we are still on the original server.

We suffered a little downtime but all good at the end of the day.

In communications with them, the operations manager emailed me and within is the best explanation:

I'm sorry for the confusion here and also for not updating your ticket sooner, I meant to reply once I saw your compute order and issued that refund as I figured there'd be some confusion from your side with what's going on.

Our team made a mistake and accidentally suspended your site as the target of an attack when it was just a false-positive from our monitoring systems, and there was no DDoS/DOS towards your domain or services. You should not have been suspended or prompted to upgrade to a compute. That is entirely our fault for misclassifying this activity and causing you a suspension/downtime when none should have been incurred.
    Shit happens and I of all people know that very well. Everything was reversed and he gave me a free month of hosting - which IMO was totally unnecessary, as things are completely fixed within 12 hours, and really wasn't a major mistake considering the false-positive that occurred.

But THAT is how a quality company handles any issues. I had already paid for the upgrade and was going to be satisfied with what had to be done, considering the supposed attack. I didn't point it out to anyone, they just noticed and reversed my charges and told me what happened and apologized.

Double thumbs up to them from me!

8. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes Bilgerat, Kathianne liked this post