Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Report: Midland Shooter Acquired Gun Privately, Seller May Face Charges

This is EXACTLY what I spoke of a few weeks ago.

Texas, like many other states, is a state where you can make private gun sales, and no background checks are needed. But it's really not that simple, and the seller still has responsibilities and and can still be held accountable for certain sales. Like I said earlier, they still cannot sell to someone under age. Still can't sell to a felon, or anyone else otherwise known to have failed or will fail a BG check...and other laws/regulations.

One could be more lax about it, and then claim they didn't know. But if it were me, I would take every precaution possible to cover my ass, for cases like this!!

---

Report: Midland Shooter Acquired Gun Privately, Seller May Face Charges

The Midland-Odessa shooter who attacked innocents on Saturday reportedly acquired his gun privately in order to avoid drawing attention to himself via a background check.

Gov. Greg Abbott (R) noted Monday that the Midland attacker had “previously failed a gun purchase background check in Texas.” At that time no one knew the means by which the gun used in Midland was acquired, but on Tuesday CBS DFW reported the shooter acquired the gun privately “to evade the background check where he would have been flagged.”

The person who sold the gun to the Midland shooter may face “federal charges.” Such charges would depend on what the seller knew about the shooter, including knowledge of things such as the shooter’s mental condition and the fact the shooter had already failed a background check.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-face-charges/

Midland-Odessa Shooter Denied Gun Purchase After Being Determined ‘Mentally Unfit’

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Federal law enforcement sources confirm the Odessa, Texas mass shooter was denied a gun purchase after being determined “mentally unfit.”

Texas DPS tells CBS 11 the denial came January 14, 2014.

DPS wouldn’t comment further citing its ongoing investigation into Saturday’s shooting in Midland-Odessa that killed seven people and injured 22 others.

The shooter, Seth Ator, 36, was shot and killed by law enforcement officers.

CBS 11 also confirmed the gunman purchased his weapon from a private seller and not a licensed gun dealer, which allowed him to evade a background check.

Under federal law, individuals who buy guns from other individuals don’t have to go through such a check.

On Monday, Governor Greg Abbott revealed in a tweet the shooter failed a background check in Texas when he tried to buy a gun and that he didn’t go through a background check when he obtained his weapon.

Retired Dallas ATF agent Tom Crowley said federal investigators are tracking-down the person who sold the AR-style rifle to the gunman.

“It’s all leg work now,” he said.

Crowley said the trace of the gun starts with the manufacturer, then moves to the wholesaler and retailer.

“The retailer will give us the person who signed the form and bought the gun and he’s the last person associated with that gun. So obviously, you go track him down talk to him to say ‘OK, what happened to this gun? What did you do with it’?”

Rest - https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/03/...kground-check/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I spoke of a few weeks ago.

Texas, like many other states, is a state where you can make private gun sales, and no background checks are needed. But it's really not that simple, and the seller still has responsibilities and and can still be held accountable for certain sales. Like I said earlier, they still cannot sell to someone under age. Still can't sell to a felon, or anyone else otherwise known to have failed or will fail a BG check...and other laws/regulations.

One could be more lax about it, and then claim they didn't know. But if it were me, I would take every precaution possible to cover my ass, for cases like this!!

---

Report: Midland Shooter Acquired Gun Privately, Seller May Face Charges

The Midland-Odessa shooter who attacked innocents on Saturday reportedly acquired his gun privately in order to avoid drawing attention to himself via a background check.

Gov. Greg Abbott (R) noted Monday that the Midland attacker had “previously failed a gun purchase background check in Texas.” At that time no one knew the means by which the gun used in Midland was acquired, but on Tuesday CBS DFW reported the shooter acquired the gun privately “to evade the background check where he would have been flagged.”

The person who sold the gun to the Midland shooter may face “federal charges.” Such charges would depend on what the seller knew about the shooter, including knowledge of things such as the shooter’s mental condition and the fact the shooter had already failed a background check.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-face-charges/

Midland-Odessa Shooter Denied Gun Purchase After Being Determined ‘Mentally Unfit’

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Federal law enforcement sources confirm the Odessa, Texas mass shooter was denied a gun purchase after being determined “mentally unfit.”

Texas DPS tells CBS 11 the denial came January 14, 2014.

DPS wouldn’t comment further citing its ongoing investigation into Saturday’s shooting in Midland-Odessa that killed seven people and injured 22 others.

The shooter, Seth Ator, 36, was shot and killed by law enforcement officers.

CBS 11 also confirmed the gunman purchased his weapon from a private seller and not a licensed gun dealer, which allowed him to evade a background check.

Under federal law, individuals who buy guns from other individuals don’t have to go through such a check.

On Monday, Governor Greg Abbott revealed in a tweet the shooter failed a background check in Texas when he tried to buy a gun and that he didn’t go through a background check when he obtained his weapon.

Retired Dallas ATF agent Tom Crowley said federal investigators are tracking-down the person who sold the AR-style rifle to the gunman.

“It’s all leg work now,” he said.

Crowley said the trace of the gun starts with the manufacturer, then moves to the wholesaler and retailer.

“The retailer will give us the person who signed the form and bought the gun and he’s the last person associated with that gun. So obviously, you go track him down talk to him to say ‘OK, what happened to this gun? What did you do with it’?”

Rest - https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/03/...kground-check/

And THIS is why I personally don't give a shit if they make it illegal to sell a weapon without a background check. Too many just don't give a flying fuck. Yes , of course you and I won't just sell weapons to just anyone but we must remember America is full of dumb fucks and many of them own guns. We're talking about the same people who have baby snakes and such as pets and when they're done with them they just release them into the city even . I mean Americans are stupid.

And you can't tell me that going to a local gun store and saying "hey I need to run a background check on ________ before selling him this gun" is some major hardship. And certainly it isn't any more intrusive than what we already allow. I'll say it again, no one should be able to get on FB or another social media site and buy so much as a .38 without any sort of inquiry into whether that person should own a gun.

I would support background checks for all gun sales long before I would support an assault weapons ban or any of the other measures being suggested.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'm going to a gun show next month, and I guarantee there will be HUNDREDS of guns there for sale by private citizens, as there always has been, and no one is going to ask anyone anything if it's a private sale. Although I will say, I'm sure if someone looks to be too young, that would be the only clincher, to have someone prove they're old enough to buy a gun.

I also expect this to be a big show with all the talk of universal background checks and other unconstitutional infringements on the 2nd Amendment. There's millions of Americans that believe someday the government will attempt to confiscate all the guns, so getting your hands on them before there's universal background checks will be something a lot of people will want to do.

I know for people that live in a city and possibly have never even held a firearm, they just don't get it. But when you've grown up in a small town in the middle of nowhere and everyone you've ever known has guns, and they hunt and target practice and guns have been a big part of your life, you look at this situation completely different.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-04-2019 at 04:56 PM.

4. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

As I have said before, I have no problems with background checks and proper
    instruction on handling a firearm.

The problem with personal sales or gifts between folks is difficult to oversee
    and manage.

So anti-gunners choose to lump everything in one basket and insist that it is wisdom.

Again, "Some people's children"!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

and manage.

So anti-gunners choose to lump everything in one basket and insist that it is wisdom.

Democrats would LOVE to have universal background checks. That would put them one step closer to being able to disarm America. I'm sure they're just SALIVATING thinking about it.

They know damn well they can't just TAKE THEM ALL AWAY in one fell swoop. They have to take baby steps. They're playing the long game here. They want Americans to be DISARMED so that the next time they're all in control they can pull whatever tyrannical crap they want and what's ANYONE going to be able to do about it? NOTHING! I hope I'm DEAD before that day ever gets here, because I don't want to live in an America that looks like EUROPE, or SAN FRANQUEERCO, overrun with SHIT and TWEEKERS and HOMELESS BUM CAMPS and TRASH and MUSLIMS and CRIME, and people just have to EAT IT.

By God I'm not getting any younger and I live alone, and when the day comes when someone decides to break into my home and I CAN'T fight off an attacker, I don't want to be stuck with a freakin' BUTTER KNIFE to defend myself, I want to have my GUN so I can BLOW THE SONS A BITCHES HEAD OFF.

[Rant not directed at you, Elessar, I'm just ranting in general.]
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 09-04-2019 at 08:06 PM.

8. Thanks LongTermGuy, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

and manage.

Read the response right above yours and see a gun owner bragging about "I'm going to a gun show and no one will even care who they sell their guns to" and see why so many people are pissed off about private gun sales right now. his sentiment is exactly spot on, there are tons of morons out there who don't give a shit who they sell their guns to. I'm sorry but given the level of mental illness in this country if you don't care who you sell your guns to, we need to make you care. There absolutely, positively are folks out there who have no business getting their hands on a gun.