Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 81
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,271
    Thanks (Given)
    14885
    Thanks (Received)
    10820
    Likes (Given)
    2973
    Likes (Received)
    1415
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Non-existent. NOAA/NWS does not charge for the services provided.

    Add to my lists, International Ice Patrol to plot icebergs coming
    down from the Arctic. USCG, Canada, and Denmark benefit from the tracking
    provided, mostly recorded by USCG and Canadian Aircraft.
    Yes, I know about NOAA and no charge-it's a government funded agency.

    I was talking about STTAB asserting that private entrepreneurs would step in to replace. I don't think so. I do think NOAA is a necessary department.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    9,452
    Thanks (Given)
    8027
    Thanks (Received)
    7861
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    1493
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19808616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Yes, I know about NOAA and no charge-it's a government funded agency.

    I was talking about STTAB asserting that private entrepreneurs would step in to replace. I don't think so. I do think NOAA is a necessary department.
    They would ruin all of the areas I outlined.

    A sample NOAA web site and all of the things they do. They will vary depending on their locations
    for a NOAA/ NWS location:

    https://www.weather.gov/eka/
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  3. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
  4. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks (Given)
    600
    Thanks (Received)
    687
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4030836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Maybe you should Google NWS and see all of it's functions.

    To name a few:

    National Weather Service;
    National Fisheries Conservation;
    Marine Mammals protection;
    Partner with USGS (US Geolological Survey)for the Earthquake and Tsunami Warning Centers;
    Partner with the USGS again for volcano observation;
    Partner with the EPA and USCG for pollution response;
    Partner with the USCG to assist in Search and Rescue Planning;
    Partner with FEMA and various state and local Offices of Emergency Services;
    Provide Tide Tables for use by the public and responding agencies for all States along the coasts;
    Provide Great Lakes weather conditions for those states;
    Provide tornado, blizzard, flooding, and severe weather reports to all states.

    That is just a short list that comes to mind
    NONE of those things have anything to do with anything the federal government is tasked with in the COTUS.

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    9,452
    Thanks (Given)
    8027
    Thanks (Received)
    7861
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    1493
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19808616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    NONE of those things have anything to do with anything the federal government is tasked with in the COTUS.
    There was no NOAA / NWS when the COTUS was penned, so a straw man's argument.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    USA East Coast
    Posts
    377
    Thanks (Given)
    337
    Thanks (Received)
    227
    Likes (Given)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    183
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2081185

    Default Begs the question....

    How in the World did ANY OF US, or OUR PARENTS, and GRANDPARENTS survive....before all of those Beuracracy-led things appeared?
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,271
    Thanks (Given)
    14885
    Thanks (Received)
    10820
    Likes (Given)
    2973
    Likes (Received)
    1415
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    There was no NOAA / NWS when the COTUS was penned, so a straw man's argument.
    Of course, with that reasoning, there shouldn't be an FAA either. No NASA. No FCC.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  8. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
  9. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    9,452
    Thanks (Given)
    8027
    Thanks (Received)
    7861
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    1493
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19808616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Of course, with that reasoning, there shouldn't be an FAA either. No NASA. No FCC.
    Exactly.

    The duties and responsibilities of the agencies are covered by Federal Law,
    in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations.

    Web site is easy to find if any one doubts me, and they comply with the COTUS
    if anyone cares to research and not just spout off.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_o...al_Regulations
    Last edited by Elessar; 09-18-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  10. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks (Given)
    600
    Thanks (Received)
    687
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4030836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    There was no NOAA / NWS when the COTUS was penned, so a straw man's argument.
    WTF? That's exactly the point. The federal government is ONLY supposed to provide those things which are EXPLICITLY empowered to the federal government in the COTUS.

    I mean the very least you could have done was acknowledge that the federal government IS constrained by the COTUS and then maybe argued that hurricanes and other weather phenomenon affect the national security of the US or interstate trade or something else that the US government is entitled to regulate instead of some weak ass "well this organization wasn't around then" BS

  11. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks (Given)
    600
    Thanks (Received)
    687
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4030836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Of course, with that reasoning, there shouldn't be an FAA either. No NASA. No FCC.

    There shouldn't be. That's my entire point. Our federal government is bloated with agencies which not only in most cases don't do what they set out to do, but also probably aren't even really constitutional.

  12. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon USA
    Posts
    9,452
    Thanks (Given)
    8027
    Thanks (Received)
    7861
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    1493
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19808616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    There shouldn't be. That's my entire point. Our federal government is bloated with agencies which not only in most cases don't do what they set out to do, but also probably aren't even really constitutional.
    The USCFR is constitutional and recognized as the defacto Law of The Land.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

    A Deplorable!

  13. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks (Given)
    600
    Thanks (Received)
    687
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4030836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    The USCFR is constitutional and recognized as the defacto Law of The Land.

    I don't think you even understand the subject.

    The USCFR relies on the "nondelegation doctrine" to exist , and in fact the COTUS itself was meant to delegate powers. Says so right in the 10th Amendment, ANY powers not given to the feds via the COTUS are reserved for the states or the people themselves. The government isn't supposed to be able to just say "okay we want to regulate this , so we've included it in the USCFR, that means it's law" in fact that's even worse, because that's just Congress creating an agency and telling THEM to write laws. We have multiple executive branch agencies writing law, which is supposed to be reserved for Congress to do, and you're okay with that?

    Da fuq?


    Simple test, what if a Democrat President instructed the BATF to write a regulation in the USCFR outlawing AR15s. Hey that would be constitutional too right? Wait a minute, that's different.........Somehow.

    PS - The federal government is routinely sued over the "nondelegation clause" And in fact in Wayman vs Southard way back in 1825 the Supreme Court ruled explicitly that Congress could delegate SOME powers, but not any explicitly legislative powers IE Congress couldn't empower another branch to make law.

    In fact it wasn't until the 1930s that Congress seriously started ceding their own authority over to various federal agencies in terms of writing law. Before that the few times they tried SCOTUS knocked the law down.
    Last edited by STTAB; 09-18-2019 at 09:49 AM.

  14. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,271
    Thanks (Given)
    14885
    Thanks (Received)
    10820
    Likes (Given)
    2973
    Likes (Received)
    1415
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    There shouldn't be. That's my entire point. Our federal government is bloated with agencies which not only in most cases don't do what they set out to do, but also probably aren't even really constitutional.
    I do not disagree with your premise on eliminating some of the agencies. What I do disagree with is the lack of discernment of what are true responsibilities of each level of government and weighing which responsibilities should fall on the individual.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  15. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
  16. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks (Given)
    600
    Thanks (Received)
    687
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4030836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I do not disagree with your premise on eliminating some of the agencies. What I do disagree with is the lack of discernment of what are true responsibilities of each level of government and weighing which responsibilities should fall on the individual.
    And likewise I don't disagree (aka I agree) that we should be discerning and not just cut agencies willy nilly. That's why I said earlier just saying 'hey this is in the federal guidelines that makes it okay" is ridiculous, he could have at least make an argument that forecasting and tracking storms was related to national security or the general welfare of the country, or something.

  17. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,271
    Thanks (Given)
    14885
    Thanks (Received)
    10820
    Likes (Given)
    2973
    Likes (Received)
    1415
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    And likewise I don't disagree (aka I agree) that we should be discerning and not just cut agencies willy nilly. That's why I said earlier just saying 'hey this is in the federal guidelines that makes it okay" is ridiculous, he could have at least make an argument that forecasting and tracking storms was related to national security or the general welfare of the country, or something.
    I did. Days ago.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  18. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks (Given)
    600
    Thanks (Received)
    687
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    479
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4030836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I did. Days ago.
    You did, the other poster just flatly said "it's legal"

    That's what I commented on.

    But even at that, is it really a matter of national interest? Seems to me like it's more of a matter of regional interest. As you well know politicians are very good at ginning up excuses as to why they should have their pet programs or laws, and we aren't near careful enough in our scrutiny as to what they are doing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •