Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
You did, the other poster just flatly said "it's legal"

That's what I commented on.

But even at that, is it really a matter of national interest? Seems to me like it's more of a matter of regional interest. As you well know politicians are very good at ginning up excuses as to why they should have their pet programs or laws, and we aren't near careful enough in our scrutiny as to what they are doing.
Yes, it is national interest. "Saving lives" IS the business responsibility of government. The costs of not being forewarned are too devastating in both long and short term.

Weather forecasting is crucial still when the navy/air force are needed.

Can different agencies be combined, responsibilities and costs pared? Without a doubt. I've never been convinced that the Federal government has any good purpose in education, it should be at a local level. In any case, the government will always expand without pressure to reverse or at least slow down.

However, it shouldn't be done willy nilly by proclamation of people who really don't know the nitty gritty of what is done. Some, even most of what an agency is charged with, may be non-essential, but there may be some that are crucial.