Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,015
    Thanks (Given)
    14814
    Thanks (Received)
    10745
    Likes (Given)
    2885
    Likes (Received)
    1395
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    No , I didn't say Trump was right, I said NWS was wrong for tweeting out that Trump was wrong. And that Ross had every right to threaten to fire political appointees who work for him if they continued to allow people in their agency to publicly embarrass the boss.

    That being said, This is at least the third time that I can remember where I have publicly defended you and posted that you are a plus to this board and you respond by lumping me in with the idiots who never think Trump is wrong , despite every evidence to the contrary. IOW you seem incapable of or unwilling to return the respect I give you , even when we disagree. So be it, it hurts my e feelings, but its all good.

    Have a nice evening Kath.
    You too! Wrong is wrong, I don't go along with saying wrong is right.

    Same logic, the President says that aliens or an asteroid are about to hit earth. NASA responds that isn't correct. It's ok then for the President to start firing those at NASA.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks (Given)
    1568
    Thanks (Received)
    2182
    Likes (Given)
    504
    Likes (Received)
    442
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14246618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Those that think he's perfect, they love whatever. Those that don't, he doesn't care about.
    I think that I am in a third group. I don't think Trump is perfect, and I admit he has a lot of faults. But his policies have been mostly good for America, and I'm willing to put up with his faults to get the benefits of his good aspects. I also think that if Clinton or Obama had been treated by the media that way they've been treating Trump, then there would be plenty of similar stories about them. Especially Clinton.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    You may not be interested in war, but war may be interested in you - Leon Trotsky
    It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

  3. Thanks SassyLady, FakeNewsSux, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Abbey, Elessar liked this post
  4. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,015
    Thanks (Given)
    14814
    Thanks (Received)
    10745
    Likes (Given)
    2885
    Likes (Received)
    1395
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I think that I am in a third group. I don't think Trump is perfect, and I admit he has a lot of faults. But his policies have been mostly good for America, and I'm willing to put up with his faults to get the benefits of his good aspects. I also think that if Clinton or Obama had been treated by the media that way they've been treating Trump, then there would be plenty of similar stories about them. Especially Clinton.

    That would put us in agreement mostly. I have said that much of what he's done has been good for domestic. I have many problems with foreign policies, but disagreeing with a president I can support is not new either.

    I too don't think the media has been anything close to 'fair', they never are with 'Republicans.' I know, I know, Trump is worse than anything before. It may be because of the way Trump has been too, but nah.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  5. Thanks Russ thanked this post
  6. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,167
    Thanks (Given)
    516
    Thanks (Received)
    654
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    443
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3816079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    You too! Wrong is wrong, I don't go along with saying wrong is right.

    Same logic, the President says that aliens or an asteroid are about to hit earth. NASA responds that isn't correct. It's ok then for the President to start firing those at NASA.
    Kath , listen carefully.

    A) it is not the job of federal employees to correct the President. It's not their job, it's not their responsibility. Half the fucking time how they go about doing so is illegal.

    B) The President and his cabinet have every right to fire , or threaten to fire, political appointees who they feel aren't doing their job. Even if they feel that job is to make sure their agency is not embarrassing the President.

    It is possible to both think that the President was wrong to say anything about Alabama being in possible danger AND for it to be wrong for federal employees to try to embarrass him.

    However , since we began this thread it has came out that Ross didn't threaten anyone anyway, and NWS says they weren't even aware of Trump's statements when they tweeted out that Alabama was in no danger. So who knows the truth.

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,015
    Thanks (Given)
    14814
    Thanks (Received)
    10745
    Likes (Given)
    2885
    Likes (Received)
    1395
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Kath , listen carefully.

    A) it is not the job of federal employees to correct the President. It's not their job, it's not their responsibility. Half the fucking time how they go about doing so is illegal.

    B) The President and his cabinet have every right to fire , or threaten to fire, political appointees who they feel aren't doing their job. Even if they feel that job is to make sure their agency is not embarrassing the President.

    It is possible to both think that the President was wrong to say anything about Alabama being in possible danger AND for it to be wrong for federal employees to try to embarrass him.

    However , since we began this thread it has came out that Ross didn't threaten anyone anyway, and NWS says they weren't even aware of Trump's statements when they tweeted out that Alabama was in no danger. So who knows the truth.
    Did the NWS put out a message to AR and AZ? If so, it would make as much sense-at the time they did so.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  8. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks (Given)
    1568
    Thanks (Received)
    2182
    Likes (Given)
    504
    Likes (Received)
    442
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14246618

    Default

    By the way, in regard to the NWS people putting out statements "correcting" Trump or making him sound foolish... I work at a large company with thousands of employees and one CEO, and if I made public statements saying the CEO was wrong about something, or making him sound foolish, then I would expect to get fired within 48 hours. And if I were the CEO and one of the employees made public statements to make me sound foolish, then I would fire that employee, and feel good about it.

    This is really a class in "Working for a Living 101". Don't publicly make your boss, or the boss's boss, or especially the CEO look foolish. If you do, expect to get fired. It's as simple as that, and it's fair, too.

    I don't like these NWS employees expecting to get treated any better than the rest of us. If they want to tell the media that their CEO is a fool, then they should shut up about the risk of losing their job.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    You may not be interested in war, but war may be interested in you - Leon Trotsky
    It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

  9. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes Abbey liked this post
  10. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,167
    Thanks (Given)
    516
    Thanks (Received)
    654
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    443
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3816079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    By the way, in regard to the NWS people putting out statements "correcting" Trump or making him sound foolish... I work at a large company with thousands of employees and one CEO, and if I made public statements saying the CEO was wrong about something, or making him sound foolish, then I would expect to get fired within 48 hours. And if I were the CEO and one of the employees made public statements to make me sound foolish, then I would fire that employee, and feel good about it.

    This is really a class in "Working for a Living 101". Don't publicly make your boss, or the boss's boss, or especially the CEO look foolish. If you do, expect to get fired. It's as simple as that, and it's fair, too.

    I don't like these NWS employees expecting to get treated any better than the rest of us. If they want to tell the media that their CEO is a fool, then they should shut up about the risk of losing their job.

    And the attitude they have is exactly what is wrong with our government. There is zero accountability for anything government employees do. Well, not zero Congress did finally pass a law saying that VA employees could be fired for killing patients, for example.

    But, can one imagine how inefficient Amazon would be if they ran their business the way the government runs and their employees behaved the way government employees behave? Think Jeff Bezos would tolerate a warehouse management team tweeting out that he was wrong about something? Fuck no he wouldn't. There wouldn't even be a "next time this happens" it would just be "you're fired"

    And for those who say "government isn't business" the hell it isn't.

  11. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,015
    Thanks (Given)
    14814
    Thanks (Received)
    10745
    Likes (Given)
    2885
    Likes (Received)
    1395
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475381

    Default

    Bottom line though, private business employees work of the company. Public employees work for the people. Reporting on hurricanes, tornadoes, etc., if they join the ranks of IRS, FBI, etc., people are going to get killed.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  12. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,167
    Thanks (Given)
    516
    Thanks (Received)
    654
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    443
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3816079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Bottom line though, private business employees work of the company. Public employees work for the people. Reporting on hurricanes, tornadoes, etc., if they join the ranks of IRS, FBI, etc., people are going to get killed.
    Actually, a question I would ask is why do we even have this agency? It's unnecessary, and should be shut down in it's entirety. Let CNN , FoxNews, and the like forecast the weather.

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,015
    Thanks (Given)
    14814
    Thanks (Received)
    10745
    Likes (Given)
    2885
    Likes (Received)
    1395
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Actually, a question I would ask is why do we even have this agency? It's unnecessary, and should be shut down in it's entirety. Let CNN , FoxNews, and the like forecast the weather.
    Where do you think CNN, FOX and the like get their data?
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  14. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,167
    Thanks (Given)
    516
    Thanks (Received)
    654
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    443
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3816079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Where do you think CNN, FOX and the like get their data?
    '
    Some of it from the National Weather Service, but not all of it. And they would find another place to get it if they had to.

    See , this is why our government is so bloated, mention getting rid of ANY agency and it's met with derision, even though everyone knows the agency is un needed

    For God Sakes we literally still have a Bureau of Indian Affairs LOL

  15. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,015
    Thanks (Given)
    14814
    Thanks (Received)
    10745
    Likes (Given)
    2885
    Likes (Received)
    1395
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    '
    Some of it from the National Weather Service, but not all of it. And they would find another place to get it if they had to.

    See , this is why our government is so bloated, mention getting rid of ANY agency and it's met with derision, even though everyone knows the agency is un needed

    For God Sakes we literally still have a Bureau of Indian Affairs LOL
    Do you actually know how the data is gathered, disseminated, and analyzed? Do you think forecasting, as precise or not as it may be is useless or at least dispensable?

    BTW, this has 0 to do with the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  16. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,167
    Thanks (Given)
    516
    Thanks (Received)
    654
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    443
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3816079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Do you actually know how the data is gathered, disseminated, and analyzed? Do you think forecasting, as precise or not as it may be is useless or at least dispensable?

    BTW, this has 0 to do with the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
    I think, scratch that I KNOW that private entities would fill the void if the National Weather Service was disbanded. And of course the Bureau of Indian Affairs has EVERYTHING to do with my post because it is one of a million examples we have of government waste.

  17. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39,015
    Thanks (Given)
    14814
    Thanks (Received)
    10745
    Likes (Given)
    2885
    Likes (Received)
    1395
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I think, scratch that I KNOW that private entities would fill the void if the National Weather Service was disbanded. And of course the Bureau of Indian Affairs has EVERYTHING to do with my post because it is one of a million examples we have of government waste.
    Why would private companies step in? Ever notice how many 'models' there are for hurricanes are utilized?

    https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cf...d-forecasting/
    “The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.” De Tocqueville



  18. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,167
    Thanks (Given)
    516
    Thanks (Received)
    654
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    443
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3816079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Why would private companies step in? Ever notice how many 'models' there are for hurricanes are utilized?

    https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cf...d-forecasting/
    Why do private companies step in and spend hours discussing the weather now?

    See, everyone is small government until you bring up doing away with a government agency or program that they like

    Pray tell where in the COTUS is the federal government taxed with providing weather alerts to anyone?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •