Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    You did, the other poster just flatly said "it's legal"

That's what I commented on.

But even at that, is it really a matter of national interest? Seems to me like it's more of a matter of regional interest. As you well know politicians are very good at ginning up excuses as to why they should have their pet programs or laws, and we aren't near careful enough in our scrutiny as to what they are doing.
    Yes, it is national interest. "Saving lives" IS the business responsibility of government. The costs of not being forewarned are too devastating in both long and short term.

Weather forecasting is crucial still when the navy/air force are needed.

Can different agencies be combined, responsibilities and costs pared? Without a doubt. I've never been convinced that the Federal government has any good purpose in education, it should be at a local level. In any case, the government will always expand without pressure to reverse or at least slow down.

However, it shouldn't be done willy nilly by proclamation of people who really don't know the nitty gritty of what is done. Some, even most of what an agency is charged with, may be non-essential, but there may be some that are crucial.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Yes, it is national interest. "Saving lives" IS the business responsibility of government. The costs of not being forewarned are too devastating in both long and short term.

Weather forecasting is crucial still when the navy/air force are needed.

Can different agencies be combined, responsibilities and costs pared? Without a doubt. I've never been convinced that the Federal government has any good purpose in education, it should be at a local level. In any case, the government will always expand without pressure to reverse or at least slow down.

However, it shouldn't be done willy nilly by proclamation of people who really don't know the nitty gritty of what is done. Some, even most of what an agency is charged with, may be non-essential, but there may be some that are crucial.

BINGO, you hit it right on the head there, Much or even most of what this agency does can be done by someone else.

Inf act , as originally intended the the National Weather Service was in fact part of the Department of War (now the Dept of Defense) , however now it's in the fucking Commerce Department, but never fear because the USAF has their own weather forecasters who do not rely on NWS for anything.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...serve/70006597

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

If we are going to argue for the elimination of a federal agency, I’ll start with the Department of Education. Even though schools were pretty much always around.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

5. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    BINGO, you hit it right on the head there, Much or even most of what this agency does can be done by someone else.

Inf act , as originally intended the the National Weather Service was in fact part of the Department of War (now the Dept of Defense) , however now it's in the fucking Commerce Department, but never fear because the USAF has their own weather forecasters who do not rely on NWS for anything.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...serve/70006597
    Have you read nothing I wrote? No other agency does more to supply the people and other Government branches with
    weather data - period. The media glean off those notices and post what they wish in the form of opinion.

I don't care what military expertise you claim to have. I know full well what NOAA and NWS do to share
    data immediately to all branches, USGS, FEMA, and the sitting administration in D.C.

Do you think the White House and Pentagon just declare Lights Out after 1700? Just as in Command Centers,
    the watches in these facilities are 24/7.

Don't know about your planning experience, but you are far off base with this issue.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    If we are going to argue for the elimination of a federal agency, I’ll start with the Department of Education. Even though schools were pretty much always around.
    We picked the same one. LOL!
    It's only been around since 1979 and look at the flotsam in its wake.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I think the DoE could go away entirely and not be missed as well. Or at least be paired down to an agency which basically just says "these minimum standards must be met" so that we can ensure that kids in New York are receiving the same level of education as kids in Mississippi Oh wait, that isn't even happening WITH the giant bloated Department of Education we have now.

10. Thanks Abbey Marie, icansayit thanked this post