Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    One in-port day while on the Cutter Venturous, our C.O. Stan Breedlove, summoned all of the Boatswain's and Gunner's Mates
    to his cabin. He was a Mustang, former Navy Quartermaster.

He told us our job was not just to teach and guide junior enlisteds, but also guide Ensigns (O-1), LTjg's (O-2),
    and some LT's (O-3). But he did warn us that Junior Officers could be fragile and break easy!

A very wise skipper!

I don't know why your post made me think of my grandpa, but it did.

Made me think of when he used to tell stories of the "old man" who was actually the 27 year old captain of the fire rescue ship he served on. The name escaped me at the moment. I'd have to search my memory

2. Thanks Gunny, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Much respect.

I was lucky outside of a few deployments , home for dinner every night.

Okay it wasn't luck. I started planning my life when I was 15. At 15 I knew I was going to join the military, at 16 I knew it would be National Guard. At 20 I knew I would I would make a career of it and retire by age 40.

I run my family the Army way LOL everyone is up at a certain time, everyone has a certain time to use the facilities in the morning, everyone has chores. Meals are at a certain time and you WILL be there. My oldest boys both joined the Army before college and went through Basic both said said "the only real difference was that we did a lot more shooting at home" LOL
    Yeah, I get called a hardass prick too. And told the Marine Corps should have a special place to just keep me while I outlive everyone else just to piss them off
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Abbey Marie, STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yeah, I get called a hardass prick too. And told the Marine Corps should have a special place to just keep me while I outlive everyone else just to piss them off
    I got called as asshole on an out-brief by an Ensign. I told him on the approach to the
    subject vessel, an LE Boarding, to sit down and not move. He had reached to make first contact on the subject vessel.
    My bowman was to make first contact and rig the bowline to slip free when we backed off.

After the out-brief, hearing that Ensign, the Gunner's Mate asked if I heard the comment.

I said "Tim, I sure did and could not get a better compliment from an Ensign!"
    Last edited by Elessar; 09-10-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

As the daughter of a WWII veteran of Monte Cassino and Anzio, I wonder if any significant number of those guys felt the sentiments on that lighter. I can’t ask him now.

So, what do you think? It was a very different time and a very different war, but some things are timeless and universal.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    As the daughter of a WWII veteran of Monte Cassino and Anzio, I wonder if any significant number of those guys felt the sentiments on that lighter. I can’t ask him now.

So, what do you think? It was a very different time and a very different war, but some things are timeless and universal.
    I cannot really comment positively or negatively on that inscription, being a non-combatant.

I have heard that line before, using a bit different verbiage -but that inscription shows the
    heart of the writer: Frustrated and disappointed:

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much,
    for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”.

Dad sent me that from 'Nam.
    Last edited by Elessar; 09-10-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

9. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Though I wasn't there (on land). I can speak from personal experience.

At that time. During Nam. "That inscription actually applied to EVERY AMERICAN THERE."

Nobody, and I do mean...Nobody at sea, on land, or in the air during all of those years...WANTED TO BE THERE!

Until you've personally witnessed (as I have...many times) the piles, and piles of Silver Caskets on pallets, sitting on a pier, waiting to be loaded aboard ships. You might not understand WHY that lighter spoke for everyone.

I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

11. Thanks Elessar, CSM, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes CSM, Abbey Marie liked this post