Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Jerry Falwell Jr People Are Talking

Color me surprised. Not.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...y-loans-227914

‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence
    More than two dozen current and former Liberty University officials describe a culture of fear and self-dealing at the largest Christian college in the world.

By BRANDON AMBROSINO September 09, 2019

At Liberty University, all anyone can talk about is Jerry Falwell Jr. Just not in public.

“When he does stupid stuff, people will mention it to others they consider confidants and not keep it totally secret,” a trusted adviser to Falwell, the school’s president and chancellor, told me. “But they won’t rat him out.”

That’s beginning to change.

Over the past year, Falwell, a prominent evangelical leader and supporter of President Donald Trump, has come under increasing scrutiny. News outlets have reported on business deals by Liberty University benefiting Falwell’s friends. Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen claimed that he had helped Falwell clean up racy “personal” photographs.

Based on scores of new interviews and documents obtained for this article, concerns about Falwell’s behavior go well beyond that—and it’s causing longtime, loyal Liberty University officials to rapidly lose faith in him.

More than two dozen current and former high-ranking Liberty University officials and close associates of Falwell spoke to me or provided documents for this article, opening up—for the first time at an institution so intimately associated with the Falwell family—about what they’ve experienced and why they don’t think he’s the right man to lead Liberty University or serve as a figurehead in the Christian conservative movement.

In interviews over the past eight months, they depicted how Falwell and his wife, Becki, consolidated power at Liberty University and how Falwell presides over a culture of self-dealing, directing university resources into projects and real estate deals in which his friends and family have stood to make personal financial gains. Among the previously unreported revelations are Falwell’s decision to hire his son Trey’s company to manage a shopping center owned by the university, Falwell’s advocacy for loans given by the university to his friends, and Falwell’s awarding university contracts to businesses owned by his friends.

“We’re not a school; we’re a real estate hedge fund,” said a senior university official with inside knowledge of Liberty’s finances. “We’re not educating; we’re buying real estate every year and taking students’ money to do it.”

Liberty employees detailed other instances of Falwell’s behavior that they see as falling short of the standard of conduct they expect from conservative Christian leaders, from partying at nightclubs, to graphically discussing his sex life with employees, to electioneering that makes uneasy even those who fondly remember the heyday of the late Rev. Jerry Falwell Sr., the school’s founder and Falwell Jr.’s father, and his Moral Majority.

In January, the Wall Street Journal reported that in the run-up to Trump’s presidential campaign, Cohen hired John Gauger, a Liberty University employee who runs a private consulting firm, to manipulate online polls in Trump’s favor. Not previously reported is the fact that, according to a half-dozen high-level Liberty University sources, when Gauger traveled to New York to collect payment from Cohen, he was joined by Trey Falwell, a vice president at Liberty. During that trip, Trey posted a now-deleted photo to Instagram of around $12,000 in cash spread on a hotel bed, raising questions about his knowledge of Gauger’s poll-rigging work. Trey did not respond to requests for comment.

Jerry Falwell Jr. responded to more than two dozen written questions, defending his actions and criticizing the reporting of this article. “I fear that the true information I am sharing in good faith will simply not make any difference. And will only result in more questions,” Falwell said. He declined to answer subsequent questions.

I am a graduate of Liberty University, and my time there overlapped the tenures of both Falwell Sr. and his son. Over the course of my years of reporting on the university, the Falwells have granted me considerable access, including sit-down interviews in the offices of both Falwell Jr. and his brother, the Rev. Jonathan Falwell, who leads Thomas Road Baptist Church. I’ve written candidly about my time there as a student, reported about political divisions on campus and revealed that Trey co-owns a gay-friendly hostel in Miami.

Members of the Liberty University community are generally reluctant to go on the record. The school uses nondisclosure agreements to prohibit many university employees or board members from openly discussing what they’ve seen Falwell do. (“All trustees sign a confidentiality agreement that does not expire at the close of Board service,” Liberty’s attorney told board members in an email that was sent earlier this month after the school received inquiries from reporters on some of the issues outlined in this article.) Tenure and its protections are not available to Liberty faculty members outside the law school. If you teach or work at Liberty, you must get approval from Falwell’s office before you speak to the media. Talk to reporters without his approval—or publicly criticize him, even obliquely—and you could lose your job. If you’re a board member and do the same, you could get forced out, even if you have unimpeachable credentials in the Christian conservative movement.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

As I said in the thread where you asked for a reason to support Trump. THIS is enough reason . To say "no we do not accept you using the government as a bludgeon to silence those who you disagree with "

This is an example of why I emailed my support to Whoopie Goldberg with whom I disagree on every political issue, but I respect the hell out of her for calling out this type of behavior.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    As I said in the thread where you asked for a reason to support Trump. THIS is enough reason . To say "no we do not accept you using the government as a bludgeon to silence those who you disagree with "

This is an example of why I emailed my support to Whoopie Goldberg with whom I disagree on every political issue, but I respect the hell out of her for calling out this type of behavior.
    I really don't know what you are speaking of. If it's the mention of Trump in the article, in this case it is relevant.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I really don't know what you are speaking of. If it's the mention of Trump in the article, in this case it is relevant.

I'm talking about the only reason anyone gives one fuck what this school is doing is because they support Trump. If it were a private school that supporters Obama these same reporters wouldn't have cared if they had video evidence of them sacrificing 12 year old girls to appease the Gods!!

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

I'm talking about the only reason anyone gives one fuck what this school is doing is because they support Trump. If it were a private school that supporters Obama these same reporters wouldn't have cared if they had video evidence of them sacrificing 12 year old girls to appease the Gods!!
    The uncovering of corruption is all that is important. If you can't get behind that, then you are part of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    The uncovering of corruption is all that is important. If you can't get behind that, then you are part of it.

Says the guy who wants nothing to do with investigating the outright criminal behavior of the FBI, the NSA, the CIA and a few other three letter organizations in regards to their attempted coup of Trump that is downright laughable.

See Pete, I tried to warn you , you have zero credibility here because you consistently pick and choose what you are concerned about.

Let me tell you something Muppet. When I was active duty National Guard I worked with the Arkansas Joint Drug Task Force , my specific job was assisting in serving high risk no knock warrants . One time serving a warrant several folks jack rabbited, they got away but left behind some belongings. One of which I recognized as belonging to friend of mine, a lifelong friend up until that point.

His buddies weren't going to flip on him, I could have played dumb and let him get away. I mean I genuinely liked this guy and considered him a friend, but integrity demanded that I turn him in.

You think I give a flying fuck if Jerry Fallwell who I don't know at all gets busted if he broke the law? I don't. What I DO care about is the rule of fucking law in this country and in the USA we don'pt investigate people until we find a crime they may have committed because we don't like them or their political beliefs.

8. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny, FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady, Elessar, NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

You think I give a flying fuck if Jerry Fallwell who I don't know at all gets busted if he broke the law? I don't. What I DO care about is the rule of fucking law in this country and in the USA we don'pt investigate people until we find a crime they may have committed because we don't like them or their political beliefs.
    Me too and if you can prove otherwise, then you have a point.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That is EXACTLY what happened with Trump and his campaign and you didn't give a flying fuck. Proving you don't have an ounce of integrity Pete.

11. Thanks Gunny, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

True, except the writer who graduated from there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

That he gave 'approval' to Trump helped the Evangelicals reconcile their votes. Bottom line now though, his being taken down will not change anything other than the board at the school.

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

That is EXACTLY what happened with Trump and his campaign and you didn't give a flying fuck. Proving you don't have an ounce of integrity Pete.
    If so, why hasn't Trump and Barr done anything? I wonder....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I agree, but there is a second reason these people are making these statements: A gut-hatred of Evangelicals, and a delight in bringing them down.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

17. Thanks Gunny, FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    True, except the writer who graduated from there.
    Who knows what axe the writer has to grind with Liberty.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

19. Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Who knows what axe the writer has to grind with Liberty.
    Have to go with his writings over the years and the access he was given.

You have some information that would be pro-Liberty? All good!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I'm choking. Where's jimbob? @jimnyc? Prove otherwise? How about your every single wannabe "gotcha" moment during the Russian collusion crap wher you kept praying for just a process crime? WHILE not once holding Hitlery to task for her violating the United States Code art's 13 & 15 where classified material is concerned?

Just tuck it back in. You'd have served yourself better not commenting
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

22. Thanks STTAB, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain, FakeNewsSux liked this post