Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default Immunity for Diplomats Wife

Well this sure seems like a totally reasonable use of Diplomatic Immunity

The parents of a teenager who was killed in a head-on collision say they are "utterly broken" after the suspect, a US citizen, claimed diplomatic immunity and left the country.Harry Dunn, 19, was killed in an accident near RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on 27 August. It is an American spy base.

Police told Sky News that their initial findings show that Harry was riding his motorbike on the correct side of the road, but that a woman, who pulled out of the airbase onto the wrong side of the carriageway, hit him head-on. He suffered multiple injuries and died later in hospital.
    Sky News can reveal that the suspect is the wife of a US diplomat who claimed diplomatic immunity following the incident.

Harry's family received a letter from the US Ambassador to the UK, Woody Johnson, expressing "profound sadness". In a statement, the US Embassy in London told Sky News: "We express our deepest sympathies and offer condolences to the family of the deceased in the tragic August 27 traffic accident involving a vehicle driven by the spouse of a US diplomat assigned to the United Kingdom.
    “Embassy officials are in close contact with the appropriate British officials on this matter. Due to security and privacy considerations, we cannot confirm the identity of the individuals involved, but we can confirm the family has left the UK".

https://news.sky.com/story/us-diplom...ft-uk-11827518

*Edit - if a user with with the forum tools can please change the mistyped title to read ‘Immunity for Diplomats Wife’.
    Last edited by NightTrain; 10-05-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

*Edit - if a user with with the forum tools can please change the mistyped title to read ‘Immunity for Diplomats Wife’.
    Yeah, should see what NYPD deals with UN headquarters.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Likes hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Yeah, should see what NYPD deals with UN headquarters.
    Saw link in your reply.... diplomatic immunity is hardly something abused by Americans - it's something abused by many diplomats over time. And I have seen more committed in America by foreigners than anything/anywhere else. It's something that needs to be fixed universally. But that's the way the immunity works, hence the name. They can expel them if need be but cannot prosecuted by a host country, via the vienna convention. instead of finding nuggets to condemn America, perhaps change the laws if you don't like them. I think it stinks as well, but again, its law. And in most cases, they get away with it.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I am not sure if the spouse of an assigned diplomat can claim 'diplomatic immunity'.

Ahh...Yes they can: https://legal-dictionary.thefreedict...matic+immunity

Learn something new almost every day. This one is a 'get out of jail free' card.
    Last edited by Elessar; 10-05-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I am not sure if the spouse of an assigned diplomat can claim 'diplomatic immunity'.

Learn something new almost every day. This one is a 'get out of jail free' card.
    Yup. Even in parking tickets alone, they owe the USA millions and millions, as they don't have to pay. Same with fines in the UK where they owe millions. Crimes short of murder and spying, likely they will get away with it.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Nice to know some folk can just go to other countries and kill people without having to care.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Saw link in your reply.... diplomatic immunity is hardly something abused by Americans - it's something abused by many diplomats over time. And I have seen more committed in America by foreigners than anything/anywhere else. It's something that needs to be fixed universally. But that's the way the immunity works, hence the name. They can expel them if need be but cannot prosecuted by a host country, via the vienna convention. instead of finding nuggets to condemn America, perhaps change the laws if you don't like them. I think it stinks as well, but again, its law. And in most cases, they get away with it.
    Yep, your reply was my point to Noir, who had the link. London has nothing on NYC, that was my point.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yup. Even in parking tickets alone, they owe the USA millions and millions, as they don't have to pay. Same with fines in the UK where they owe millions. Crimes short of murder and spying, likely they will get away with it.
    They will get away with it, though they are likely to be booted for murder, then it's up to their home country what to do with them: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...munity-go.html

As for spying? Nothing will happen with that either, it's really expected.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yep, the real world isn't always fair.

Welcome to it...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

13. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Nice to know some folk can just go to other countries and kill people without having to care.
    Just ask the Bin Laden family and fellow travelers from Saudi Arabia who were the only ones allowed to fly from the United States after 9/11.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

Welcome to it...
    You should send that message to the grieving family.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

Welcome to it...
    Yup, ain't that some facts. And diplomatic immunity is unfair IMO, but is abused by so many others outside of the US. Folks don't give a shit. But want to whine when it's the reverse. Head on over to Vienna if you don't like it. It's been around forever, and the term 'immunity', well you would think it would spell things out, but I guess not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I personally believe that if the evidence warrants the US should revoke her immunity and ship her ass back to stand trial, BUT the reality is why should the US EVER do that, when other countries NEVER do it. Mostly because of the UN the US has more foreign diplomats in its country at any given time than all other nations combined, and they routinely commit crimes on purpose and claim diplomatic immunity and rarely is anything done about it.

So while I feel for this person's family , I am not going to get upset over this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That's for good reason. We can't , for example, be allowing Russia to arrest the children of our diplomats on trumped up charges. That would have the same affect as if they arrested the diplomat himself on trumped up charges.

There IS a process to revoke diplomatic immunity but it's rarely used.

19. Thanks Elessar thanked this post