Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

macs are for people who are easily satisfied with the software they give you, and aren't into customizing with other software and options.

I like that I can install programs/software and not worry about compatibility to Windows, as well as install one that I prefer over the pre-loaded stuff.

Businesses use Windows PC's not because of marketing, but because of the ability to have programs custom-designed for them for about 1/8 the price of one for a Mac OS. This is because writing programs for Mac is difficult because their OS is more complex. Another reason why virus-designers don't do mac viruses. Too much work for too little effect. Many companies have specially designed programs to fit their particular business operations. Banks/Credit Unions, Retail stores, accountants, financial advisors, etc., almost all have software designed for their business. Even Officemax, where I work PT, uses PC's for all operations, including the ImPress graphic design center. It all comes down to versatility. Macs just aren't versatile enough to be used on a wider scale.

It is like going to a car dealer that only sells one make/model car, and all you have to choose from are the options that the car will come with, vs. going to a dealer that sells the full line of two or more manufacturers as well as an array of accessories to make the car uniquely yours. If you're satisfied with the one make/model, then so be it. it's your choice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyKitten99 View Post
    macs are for people who are easily satisfied with the software they give you, and aren't into customizing with other software and options.

I like that I can install programs/software and not worry about compatibility to Windows, as well as install one that I prefer over the pre-loaded stuff.

Businesses use Windows PC's not because of marketing, but because of the ability to have programs custom-designed for them for about 1/8 the price of one for a Mac OS. This is because writing programs for Mac is difficult because their OS is more complex. Another reason why virus-designers don't do mac viruses. Too much work for too little effect. Many companies have specially designed programs to fit their particular business operations. Banks/Credit Unions, Retail stores, accountants, financial advisors, etc., almost all have software designed for their business. Even Officemax, where I work PT, uses PC's for all operations, including the ImPress graphic design center. It all comes down to versatility. Macs just aren't versatile enough to be used on a wider scale.

It is like going to a car dealer that only sells one make/model car, and all you have to choose from are the options that the car will come with, vs. going to a dealer that sells the full line of two or more manufacturers as well as an array of accessories to make the car uniquely yours. If you're satisfied with the one make/model, then so be it. it's your choice.
    Your assumptions are woefully outdated. The new Macs can rub ob windows if one would actually want that. I worked for a large retail store 11 years ago that was completely Mac on the floor, the accountants still screwed around with Windows, but all of the individual departments including cashiers were on Macs. This was a very specialized store, a huge art supply store, the oldest and biggest in the world........ how could they be almost completely powered by Apple?

The real reason people go for Windows based units is that they can be purchased from Korean manufacturers for almost nothing. Because they are cheap, there are a lot of them so parts are cheap, you can build one from parts that you can pick up at Fry's and it's easier to find people to do work on them.

A lot of that isn't true anymore and if there is some obscure crappy little game you need to play that isn't set up for Macs, you can boot your Mac up in Windows and play that little game to your heart content. Oh and there is plenty of software for the Mac, it tends to be the type that someone who wants to use their computer to make money, rather than play games, can use.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    Your assumptions are woefully outdated. The new Macs can rub ob windows if one would actually want that. I worked for a large retail store 11 years ago that was completely Mac on the floor, the accountants still screwed around with Windows, but all of the individual departments including cashiers were on Macs. This was a very specialized store, a huge art supply store, the oldest and biggest in the world........ how could they be almost completely powered by Apple?
    My statements aren't assumptions, they're facts. There is a difference. Did this store have multiple locations and the customer volume that a multi-state store such as OfficeMax or Best Buy had? It doesn't matter what kind of store you worked in, it matters what they needed the computers to do. If it was a privately owned store, one location (your's), and all that was needed was cashiering, then yes, what was already available on the Mac probably would work just fine. But when you need the system to do more than just run a register, then Mac won't suffice-they're just not that versatile yet. When I worked for Wells Fargo Bank, every program we used to look at customer accounts was Windows-based, and I believe 99% of the PC's were Dell.

The real reason people go for Windows based units is that they can be purchased from Korean manufacturers for almost nothing. Because they are cheap, there are a lot of them so parts are cheap, you can build one from parts that you can pick up at Fry's and it's easier to find people to do work on them.
    I don't go for windows PC's solely because they're cheaper. I go for customization and the ability to have more than one person at my disposal to look at it, if I ever do encounter a problem.

I don't know if you have ever looked at actual parts for PC's, but they aren't cheap. Some are cheaper than others, but if you pick higher-quality, you still pay a pretty penny. Maybe they are cheaper than Macs, but the parts you can buy for Macs, won't fit into PC's, so there's only one market. Parts for Pc's generally will fit most major systems. Supply & demand determine product prices... simple economics.

A lot of that isn't true anymore and if there is some obscure crappy little game you need to play that isn't set up for Macs, you can boot your Mac up in Windows and play that little game to your heart content. Oh and there is plenty of software for the Mac, it tends to be the type that someone who wants to use their computer to make money, rather than play games, can use.
    . Did I ever say anything about games? Even so, if I did, why would you feel the need to say it is crappy? Are all games that run on windows crappy to you? Or I take it that you don't play games at all, especially since finding good ones that play on Macs (at least past machines) is like finding gold in a copper mine.

Not everyone uses their computer to make money. Very few consumers do. My husband certainly doesn't. His was specifically built for gaming, which is his hobby. Macs just cannot handle the games he plays.

I actually do use my PC to make money because I am self-employed and I take my laptop everywhere I go when I am with clients. I'll say this, that nobody I know that is self-employed, uses Macs.

Also, why would I want to take the extra steps on a Mac just to run a program on windows, when I could have one that is Windows-ready and save myself the trouble?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unless Canada is more Mac friendly, I don't see a lot of the problems listed in this thread happening. There are several locations in my area alone that service and sell Macs. Honestly, it seems as though more and more people are switching, including those who are self-employed. One of my self-employed friends just upgraded his Mac laptop (something or other) for $57.00. With certain exceptions, I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

I've been using Macs since I was 14 yrs old. In my opinion, many compatibility issues that drove me crazy and turned me off to owning one have been resolved. I would agree that a Mac isn't the best option for certain things, but for everyday use, they're grrrreat. I have an old upgraded Ibook and I love it. In fact, I've owned 2 PCs in 3 yrs. My mother has owned 4 Macs (including the Ibook I now own) in somthing like 16 yrs! She's self-employed and will move to PC when they remove her Mac from her cold dead hands. I guess that's a never.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well I subscribe to the philosophy of whatever 'floats your boat.' I learned on pc's, loved the computers since I really started using. On the other hand, about 2 years ago, in a pique after my 4th or 5th pc crashed and burned, I bought a Mac. 2 months ago, bought the macbook, I wouldn't look back.

I don't have a problem with those that love their Dells, Compaqs, HP's, etc. I do feel sorry when I see the call outs on, "MS Office keeps crashing, what do I do?" I love this video, reminds me of Fame v. The Office!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jkrn6ecxthM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jkrn6ecxthM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)