Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Not looking good folks

The board that is. Seems when I am away, and not getting threads started, that things slowly dwindle, and it's dying I'm afraid. Folks not starting threads and others never do. Is what it is. I suppose various reasoning doesn't really even matter at this point. The point is, the board is going south for lack of participation. And like I told others, I'm ok with that. Between my old board and this one it was a straight run from 2003-2019 now. Not getting new members, folks don't want to start threads and many visit and don't post at all. And that's fine, we all tire for various reasons over time. But not looking good and I can't do things by myself. But if we close up shop, I'll be ok with that. I would just hope that many of us trade info and where they apparently prefer to hang and post at then!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne, Mr. P, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I dunno... I used to try to start threads but gave up mostly because of the personal feuds that seem to pop up more and more lately. If I wanted to listen (read) to a bunch of insults, I would play old videos of my family gatherings. Also, the political scene in this country has been reduced to a bunch of partisan hacks and talking heads browbeating each other in public.

I do enjoy a good debate and discussions on things besides politics and liberals.....
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy, Mr. P, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

You have too many sub forums. Many can be consolidated. I don't have time to browse them all to find interesting stuff.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I dunno... I used to try to start threads but gave up mostly because of the personal feuds that seem to pop up more and more lately.
    Aint that the truth, the quality of replies are frequently very low, and even in cases were interesting discussions are happening the intervening posts are filled with insults.

The drop in quality contributors has also had an inevitable consequence on the forum - Nukeman, Trigg, Revelerts, DragonStryk, PMP, FJ, Stephanie etc offered a lot more than the folk endlessly that are derailing threads.

I don’t expect the quality to improve.
    Last edited by Noir; 10-31-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    You have too many sub forums. Many can be consolidated. I don't have time to browse them all to find interesting stuff.
    Not true, Pete. So what you're saying is - you ain't bright enough to find a story and know where to post it? I don't think I EVER go forum to forum. I either look at last 10 posts at the top of the board, or I go by new posts.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I dunno... I used to try to start threads but gave up mostly because of the personal feuds that seem to pop up more and more lately. If I wanted to listen (read) to a bunch of insults, I would play old videos of my family gatherings. Also, the political scene in this country has been reduced to a bunch of partisan hacks and talking heads browbeating each other in public.

I do enjoy a good debate and discussions on things besides politics and liberals.....
    That's what I have been telling people lately. We CAN still discuss, we CAN still even heartily disagree on many subjects - but it's HOW we write to one another that matters. We remain friendly and post as such, you'll generally get a decent reply. There are some that don't care and always troll about, but I am personally trying to post decently and walking away when things get bitter/nasty replies and such. OR i place the usual suspects of ruining threads on a form of ignore, and voila!

9. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Aint that the truth, the quality of replies are frequently very low, and even in cases were interesting discussions are happening the intervening posts are filled with insults.

The drop in quality contributors has also had an inevitable consequence on the forum - Nukeman, Trigg, Revelerts, DragonStryk, PMP, FJ, Stephanie etc offered a lot more than the folk endlessly that are derailing threads.

We ALL have full control over this. Just as I am truly trying my best top remain friendly, even in the face of crappy subjects, makes the difference. It takes ONE person to start and then some others will follow suit in the personal department.

Oh, I sit back and watch, and I know who goes personal the quickest. I know how folks tend to respond, I know who starts threads and all that jazz. None here are fully innocent, but no doubt some worse than others. AND this is a possible consequence of having limited rules, of which everyone wanted as folks often complained about how we ran things here.

All I can do personally is be responsible for my own actions, and I would hope all would do the same and make efforts. Then it's quite clear who the troublemakers are, and if folks FINALLY used the ignore thingy and only discussed with those wanting to actually discuss - problem somewhat solved. Certainly won't help the activity level around here though and I know that. I don't expect quality to improve right now either, but always hopeful, especially with an upcoming election. Then again, with the current climate, elections tend to draw in the wackos.

And not every person leaves for the same reason. No doubt we don't offer fully what they want, or they would still be here, I admit that. But some folks have lives, like Nuke/Trigg with 3 kids and all around the college age and traveling and such.... and then I think they outgrew the place. But they didn't leave because of fighting. But quite a few others definitely did so. But not everything is due to personal fighting and insults. And to an extent, it does involve multiple parties at times. I just wish I could have FORCED ignore on some folks over the years. It was an option in an older older version of Vb.

I can only do the best of what "I" can do, and plan on continuing to try and do that.

11. Thanks Kathianne, CSM, Gunny, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Not true, Pete. So what you're saying is - you ain't bright enough to find a story and know where to post it? I don't think I EVER go forum to forum. I either look at last 10 posts at the top of the board, or I go by new posts.

Come on man, insulting someone who is trying to offer what they feel is a good suggestion isn't any way to grow the board. And you know I feel about Pete, I'm just saying...........

For myself Jim, I think you need to cut off the memes with no on subject comments from the poster, if you notice every time that shit gets started the thread dies. No one wants to wade through that garbage , particularly when you have a sub forum dedicated to political humor of which those memes belong in.

Also, and this seems obvious, many on this board need to start being way more tolerant of opinions they don't agree with. What kind of interesting conversations can we expect if the only people who are encouraged to post are those who share the majority opinion, and then couple that with no matter how stupid the person is , they are encouraged to continue their stupidity if they hold the majority opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, if it's a financial thing, let us know, I'm happy to kick in a few bucks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

We ALL have full control over this. Just as I am truly trying my best top remain friendly, even in the face of crappy subjects, makes the difference. It takes ONE person to start and then some others will follow suit in the personal department.

Oh, I sit back and watch, and I know who goes personal the quickest. I know how folks tend to respond, I know who starts threads and all that jazz. None here are fully innocent, but no doubt some worse than others. AND this is a possible consequence of having limited rules, of which everyone wanted as folks often complained about how we ran things here.

All I can do personally is be responsible for my own actions, and I would hope all would do the same and make efforts. Then it's quite clear who the troublemakers are, and if folks FINALLY used the ignore thingy and only discussed with those wanting to actually discuss - problem somewhat solved. Certainly won't help the activity level around here though and I know that. I don't expect quality to improve right now either, but always hopeful, especially with an upcoming election. Then again, with the current climate, elections tend to draw in the wackos.

And not every person leaves for the same reason. No doubt we don't offer fully what they want, or they would still be here, I admit that. But some folks have lives, like Nuke/Trigg with 3 kids and all around the college age and traveling and such.... and then I think they outgrew the place. But they didn't leave because of fighting. But quite a few others definitely did so. But not everything is due to personal fighting and insults. And to an extent, it does involve multiple parties at times. I just wish I could have FORCED ignore on some folks over the years. It was an option in an older older version of Vb.

I can only do the best of what "I" can do, and plan on continuing to try and do that.

Here's what I think Jim on that score. I don't think "ignore" should be an option. I think it kills potential good conversations. I'll use Tyr here as an example and hope he doesnt mine. I know he has me on ignore. Whatever, anyway every occasionally he posts something that makes me think "hmmm" and I'd like to offer a response and that would further a particular thread but why bother since he has me on ignore? If it were me I'd take everyone off ignore and just ruthlessly enforce thread bans and tell whiners that's gonna have to be good enuff. I think that would create some conversation. And I also realize it would probably result in some thread bans for me LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

Speaking for me personally Noir, I'd like to see you post more.

15. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

The reality is that DP retains only the most demented conservatives and a few moderates who love misery.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Come on man, insulting someone who is trying to offer what they feel is a good suggestion isn't any way to grow the board. And you know I feel about Pete, I'm just saying...........

For myself Jim, I think you need to cut off the memes with no on subject comments from the poster, if you notice every time that shit gets started the thread dies. No one wants to wade through that garbage , particularly when you have a sub forum dedicated to political humor of which those memes belong in.

Also, and this seems obvious, many on this board need to start being way more tolerant of opinions they don't agree with. What kind of interesting conversations can we expect if the only people who are encouraged to post are those who share the majority opinion, and then couple that with no matter how stupid the person is , they are encouraged to continue their stupidity if they hold the majority opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, if it's a financial thing, let us know, I'm happy to kick in a few bucks.
    First off, let Pete and I discuss ourselves, no need for you to butt in to my comments to him and vice versa. We're both big boys and can handle ourselves, I assure you.

I don't like the memes non-stop in good threads either. We should have a few threads dedicated to the humor of such and have them posted there, not as news article posts or responses.

And the tolerance - yeps. Folks should either have tolerance and respond as humans, or utilize the ignore function. Been saying so for years and years, but no one listens. And if folks think things are somehow "different" here, they aren't. Do folks feel if they go to other boards like usmb, jpp, DA, DU or any other board with more than 1k posts - that they won't be littered with fighting, insults and arguments? I know it sucks, but that's what politics does to people, again, nature of the beast. It's not something that DP has a trademark on, it's something that "humans" have trademarked - and that's usually their freedom of speech, which will often lead to harsh disagreements on politics. In fact, I would say that most other places are much much worse, and come with worse moderating as well.

We definitely moderate little here, and can do better on some subjects. But it's up to the community. And if folks DID have more tolerance, less personal comments and/or just ignored the riff raff.... but folks here and elsewhere have ALWAYS chosen the negative route of speaking their minds, whenever. And yet everyone also complains about the smallest changes in how the place is moderated. I prefer to let folks choose for themselves, while offering quite a few ways to easily make the place at least a little better for themselves. Most don't bother with such options.

Finances it is not. I know folks have been MORE than gracious to DP over the years, but the majority of the time I have no issue at all footing the bill. I NEVER complain about such and never will.

If I knew of a magic wand to be able to advertise and get tons of members, and most being 'nice' people, I would do so. Hell, I can't even get many asses to come join. Maybe I'm wrong for this.

18. Thanks Kathianne, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

First off, let Pete and I discuss ourselves, no need for you to butt in to my comments to him and vice versa. We're both big boys and can handle ourselves, I assure you.

I don't like the memes non-stop in good threads either. We should have a few threads dedicated to the humor of such and have them posted there, not as news article posts or responses.

And the tolerance - yeps. Folks should either have tolerance and respond as humans, or utilize the ignore function. Been saying so for years and years, but no one listens. And if folks think things are somehow "different" here, they aren't. Do folks feel if they go to other boards like usmb, jpp, DA, DU or any other board with more than 1k posts - that they won't be littered with fighting, insults and arguments? I know it sucks, but that's what politics does to people, again, nature of the beast. It's not something that DP has a trademark on, it's something that "humans" have trademarked - and that's usually their freedom of speech, which will often lead to harsh disagreements on politics. In fact, I would say that most other places are much much worse, and come with worse moderating as well.

We definitely moderate little here, and can do better on some subjects. But it's up to the community. And if folks DID have more tolerance, less personal comments and/or just ignored the riff raff.... but folks here and elsewhere have ALWAYS chosen the negative route of speaking their minds, whenever. And yet everyone also complains about the smallest changes in how the place is moderated. I prefer to let folks choose for themselves, while offering quite a few ways to easily make the place at least a little better for themselves. Most don't bother with such options.

Finances it is not. I know folks have been MORE than gracious to DP over the years, but the majority of the time I have no issue at all footing the bill. I NEVER complain about such and never will.

If I knew of a magic wand to be able to advertise and get tons of members, and most being 'nice' people, I would do so. Hell, I can't even get many asses to come join. Maybe I'm wrong for this.

First off, Pete is not a big boy. He's a little child. His every post confirms this.

Second, you are correct , it isn't this board. Hell go read USMB, it's a total shit show and the average IQ of posters over there can't possibly be in the triple digits.

Third, the hog board I'm on just shut down there politics sub forum altogether AGAIN, lol they shut it down about once a year because the owner gets pissed about the content then he'll cool off and reopen it in a few months. LOL some of them are pretty smart posters, I might see if they want a new politics home.

There is probably about 60 posters who posted there regurarly most of them conservative but a few liberals sprinkled in as well, and not everyone lives in Arkansas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    The reality is that DP retains only the most demented conservatives and a few moderates who love misery.
    Are the rules preventing folks from posting? Are the rules preventing anyone other than conservatives from posting here? Have any folks that left done so other than on their own accord? So you believe us few demented conservatives are so good or so mean that we scare away the leftists who solely want to have good conversation, like yourself?

Folks retain themselves, that's a fact. And if someone prefers to bail the place instead of ignoring someone, so be it, that's their choice and right. But no on is forcing anyone to stay or leave.

And for the one person that I KNOW that never posts anything more than a sentence or 2, and pretty much ONLY tries to be negative and insult others opinions - you're about the last person that should speak up. Myself, I admit faults and I admit when wrong. You should learn from it. Not everyone is perfect, but many of us TRY and we DO participate and discuss things at length. Many of us also discuss many friendly things down below. Usually the same type of folks are also mysteriously missing from the friendly stuff, as they have no desire. But for YOU to try and lay blame at the feet of others, while some are admitting fault, and YOU somehow toss fire on it and act innocent...

well that's just laughable Pete. I DO like you and I DO try and nudge you towards writing more and expressing yourself, but apparently all you have left is judgmental one liners, and unable to participate. And then some would wonder why after thousands of one liner insults, and then degrading the board as a whole all the time - folks will still wonder why some on occasion give you some shit in return.

If this all makes you special somehow, and myself a demented conservative, so be it. I thought folks could more think for themselves, more control themselves, easily work with vB software and adjust things to their liking accordingly. But us small few of demented folks apparently are too much for the masses that think differently, and I use my magical Nazi powers to ban anyone that can handle themselves in a discussion.

If you don't mind, I think I'll continue being the same person I am. Not perfect by any stretch, that's for damn sure! But I still plan on trying harder - and I do plan on trying much harder in avoiding fights and personal stuff. This isn't personal - I TRULY wanted you to ignore other shit and take the prompts and try to discuss things. But you have your preferences as well, just like others I suppose.

21. Thanks STTAB, Kathianne, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    First off, Pete is not a big boy. He's a little child. His every post confirms this.

Second, you are correct , it isn't this board. Hell go read USMB, it's a total shit show and the average IQ of posters over there can't possibly be in the triple digits.

Third, the hog board I'm on just shut down there politics sub forum altogether AGAIN, lol they shut it down about once a year because the owner gets pissed about the content then he'll cool off and reopen it in a few months. LOL some of them are pretty smart posters, I might see if they want a new politics home.

There is probably about 60 posters who posted there regurarly most of them conservative but a few liberals sprinkled in as well, and not everyone lives in Arkansas.
    I'd be MORE than happy to eliminate sub-forums if the community thinks that will benefit this place. Folks have to give a count out of shout outs to an extent, let me know which sub-forums they never ever use and they feel is a waste of time, and I can condense. That's not a problem. And I do thank Pete for the suggestion. I just don't think Pete himself will make a difference at all or change at all with sub-forums changed/missing. I don't think Pete is a child at all, I've posted with him. I think he now POSTS like a child most of the time, as per his own choice. And eventually, yep, then that's what people will think.

I could list the top 20 boards out there and they are ALL worse regarding the chaos, sub-forums, nazi moderating and all the fun stuff. We ain't special and we ain't much different. We are one of a bunch. But folks claiming this is the worst or whatever - good luck when you hit the other places. When you can't post your opinion, don't blame me. When you make a post and then 300 people reply with garbage unrelated to politics, don't blame me. I see a lot of crappiness in the places I have been and I try to do it a little differently. A little more freedom and a lot less moderation - and the community and staff of course, will step in for very problematic things like spamming, or folks wanting to literally kill one another. But I would rather have minimal rules, and then allow every member the ability to make various things disappear to their liking, without it affecting every single member of the board.

But here I mainly do what the community wants me to do, to an extent of course. And I defy folks to find another community that THEY can run and have so much say in.

But the lack of tolerance of others opinions and the inability of folks to utilize things to make their own experience better, that's a major issue. Folks would rather see others get into trouble than ignore things that make them want to leave. Nature of the beast thing again I guess.

But the things that folks always complain about, the main problems here at DP, I sometimes myself scoff at a little, knowing that it could easily be fixed. AND that it's so much worse at the majority of other places. No awards given here and I know we suck in size - but those are simply the facts otherwise.