Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Like I said, I know everyone is different. If someone doesn't like my postings or me in general or whatever - place me on ignore, I'll ensure that everyone here has that ability, but of course the rules will still remain, however few they are. But I am NOT going to stop posting and having fun, because one or 2 folks may not like me. But I respect that as your choice. But understand that if you start a thread, of course folks will respond and/or respond directly to you as the thread starter. So may want to avoid even starting them, rather than post that you ain't participating. I'm not asking you to do so, just a recommendation. It confused me, but understand if that's your choice. That's what I have been pointing out, we all have choices. And if you feel it's best to not discuss politics, then that's your choice to be respected.
    I find some interesting things from reading. I post what I'm interested in and have been participating for a long time. We all knew, at least we thought we did, that this last national election would change things. It did. What used to be fine, isn't anymore.

So, I will not bother with sarcasm or posting things that rile others. I will post things I think others may be interested in, read and see where they go with it if they also find it of interest.

It'll be my kinder, gentler style.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    I came here thinking we would all have something in common. Then, someone complains about my use of memes, since I have experienced being Ignored, generally when I attempt new posts, that regularly are ignored as well.

So, despite a troll, calling me a troll. If someone doesn't like what I post, or my opinions. I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS!

Go somewhere else, or keep ignoring me. Troll on, and look in a mirror once in a while. Otherwise, as several members here have told me "STFU".

I don't have you on ignore. I am not a pussy so I don't use that feature.

As for memes I enjoy them from time to tome. What I don't enjoy is a thread being bombarded with meme after meme with that have nothing to do with the topic. How many different topics have you leapt into and posted a meme that was basically "Democrats are poopy heads haha" without any on topic comment from you? The answer is a lot, and that KILLS threads man.

There are times when we have 3 members online and 20 visitors lurking. Do you think when they see a thread about something and the first response is a meme calling Democrats poopy heads followed by 3 other posters "haha man you're right , fuck Democrats they are all dumb fucks" in thread after thread after thread is likely to encourage new membership? It isn't , in fact it stops CURRENT members from posting in the thread, let new members.

Maybe YOU want an echo chamber where it's just 4 posters posting dumb memes and stifling conversations , but the rest of us don't and more importantly unless and until Jim tells me "stop telling those dumbasses that they are dumbasses" I'm not going to stop. I merely offered MY suggestion in a thread discussing ways to liven up the board.

I've no problems whatsoever with your posts that are more than just a dumb meme.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I find some interesting things from reading. I post what I'm interested in and have been participating for a long time. We all knew, at least we thought we did, that this last national election would change things. It did. What used to be fine, isn't anymore.

So, I will not bother with sarcasm or posting things that rile others. I will post things I think others may be interested in, read and see where they go with it if they also find it of interest.

yep....me too....
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

5. Thanks Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, LongTermGuy, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

I myself find snarky Kathy hilarious. Just being honest.

Well, except when she disagrees with me, and then that bitch pisses me off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Okay

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I don't have you on ignore. I am not a pussy so I don't use that feature.

As for memes I enjoy them from time to tome. What I don't enjoy is a thread being bombarded with meme after meme with that have nothing to do with the topic. How many different topics have you leapt into and posted a meme that was basically "Democrats are poopy heads haha" without any on topic comment from you? The answer is a lot, and that KILLS threads man.

There are times when we have 3 members online and 20 visitors lurking. Do you think when they see a thread about something and the first response is a meme calling Democrats poopy heads followed by 3 other posters "haha man you're right , fuck Democrats they are all dumb fucks" in thread after thread after thread is likely to encourage new membership? It isn't , in fact it stops CURRENT members from posting in the thread, let new members.

Maybe YOU want an echo chamber where it's just 4 posters posting dumb memes and stifling conversations , but the rest of us don't and more importantly unless and until Jim tells me "stop telling those dumbasses that they are dumbasses" I'm not going to stop. I merely offered MY suggestion in a thread discussing ways to liven up the board.

I've no problems whatsoever with your posts that are more than just a dumb meme.
    I don't care whether you have no problem or not. You are not running this site. As for what others may think. I don't care about that either. If I want to post something that makes somebody lighten-up, or laugh. That's my perogative to do so. Because YOU don't like something, sounds like you have the problem, not me. If I am to blame because you think people are going somewhere else. I don't care about that either. As for DEBATES here. I have NEVER seen a TRUE debate take place here since I joined. In fact. It's not really possible to do here.
    As for stopping current members from posting. Check out SOME OF YOUR RESPONSES to them, or me. Calling names because you feel superior to others is exactly like the HYPOCRITE Leftists we all despise.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

8. Thanks jimnyc, LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

FWIW, I'm firmly against removing sub forums. It forces some posts to get dumped into a general forum, where they're quickly lost. It was a sad day the last time a bunch of those were nuked.

Visitors can't see attached photos. If they want to see it, they have to log in to the board with their account.

I really have no problem with memes. Possibly a quick chuckle if I find it clever as I scroll by, it takes a whopping 1.5 seconds to digest it and scroll past. And if I got a chuckle, so much the better.

As far as participation goes, I'm of the opinion that the more rules there are, the more it stifles. That's not to say that everything should be allowed, because there's decency lines that people cross that make it an unpleasant experience if left unchecked, even though most of us believe in free speech.

A very large factor is that I think there's a lot of burnout going with the national level circus that's been raging in Washington. We've witnessed some breathtaking maneuvers that wouldn't have even been contemplated 15 years ago and there's been no letup. All of us can weather the occasional shenanigan but it's been fury pitch since Jan 2017.

And it appears to be devolving.

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is. I do think things will be fine in the long run.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Here's what I think Jim on that score. I don't think "ignore" should be an option. I think it kills potential good conversations. I'll use Tyr here as an example and hope he doesnt mine. I know he has me on ignore. Whatever, anyway every occasionally he posts something that makes me think "hmmm" and I'd like to offer a response and that would further a particular thread but why bother since he has me on ignore? If it were me I'd take everyone off ignore and just ruthlessly enforce thread bans and tell whiners that's gonna have to be good enuff. I think that would create some conversation. And I also realize it would probably result in some thread bans for me LOL
    I refuse to use the Ignore feature. It is just a way to show you were defeated.
    You always have the option to back out of a thread without saying (typing) a word.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

11. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    We ALL have full control over this. Just as I am truly trying my best top remain friendly, even in the face of crappy subjects, makes the difference. It takes ONE person to start and then some others will follow suit in the personal department.

Oh, I sit back and watch, and I know who goes personal the quickest. I know how folks tend to respond, I know who starts threads and all that jazz. None here are fully innocent, but no doubt some worse than others. AND this is a possible consequence of having limited rules, of which everyone wanted as folks often complained about how we ran things here.

All I can do personally is be responsible for my own actions, and I would hope all would do the same and make efforts. Then it's quite clear who the troublemakers are, and if folks FINALLY used the ignore thingy and only discussed with those wanting to actually discuss - problem somewhat solved. Certainly won't help the activity level around here though and I know that. I don't expect quality to improve right now either, but always hopeful, especially with an upcoming election. Then again, with the current climate, elections tend to draw in the wackos.

And not every person leaves for the same reason. No doubt we don't offer fully what they want, or they would still be here, I admit that. But some folks have lives, like Nuke/Trigg with 3 kids and all around the college age and traveling and such.... and then I think they outgrew the place. But they didn't leave because of fighting. But quite a few others definitely did so. But not everything is due to personal fighting and insults. And to an extent, it does involve multiple parties at times. I just wish I could have FORCED ignore on some folks over the years. It was an option in an older older version of Vb.

I can only do the best of what "I" can do, and plan on continuing to try and do that.
    I hear you on the family thing. Deal is with me, it's feast or famine. And of course that's assuming whether or not I babysit the grandpup was an option. When I didn't, I could post all day which usually meant watching dust grow on my screen. I do babysit, and it's just pure chaos where I'm juggling everything I need to do for myself. When I get on lately I involved myself in a couple of conversations where I considered my part less than stellar, or even up to minimal par for me simply because I was rushing, giving half-answers. Not an excuse, just telling it how it is.

The babysitting hours don't kill me. It's all the crap the Brady Bunch -- probably better-defined as the Bundy's) has going that sticks me with kids.

Anyway, I give it my best shot. I know I used to try and post at least 5 new threads a day. That's not going to happen again anytime this year (The munchkin goes to school next year or so I am told).
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    FWIW, I'm firmly against removing sub forums. It forces some posts to get dumped into a general forum, where they're quickly lost. It was a sad day the last time a bunch of those were nuked.

Visitors can't see attached photos. If they want to see it, they have to log in to the board with their account.

I really have no problem with memes. Possibly a quick chuckle if I find it clever as I scroll by, it takes a whopping 1.5 seconds to digest it and scroll past. And if I got a chuckle, so much the better.

As far as participation goes, I'm of the opinion that the more rules there are, the more it stifles. That's not to say that everything should be allowed, because there's decency lines that people cross that make it an unpleasant experience if left unchecked, even though most of us believe in free speech.

A very large factor is that I think there's a lot of burnout going with the national level circus that's been raging in Washington. We've witnessed some breathtaking maneuvers that wouldn't have even been contemplated 15 years ago and there's been no letup. All of us can weather the occasional shenanigan but it's been fury pitch since Jan 2017.

And it appears to be devolving.

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is. I do think things will be fine in the long run.

Good post ! ^^^^

Also....I Love meme`s (they speak for themselves)!! ...as long as you or jimmy dont mind...

Most here know and understand whats going on..easy fix...IMO!!

15. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of posts waiting for me since yesterday. Now to go through, and hope folks are remaining positive!!

And we have a few online with about 579 visitors right now. Nope, not popular, just another bot running rampant. I blocked some IP subnets and they should now be disappearing.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Why I don't post as much.

I come here to read what people have to say about issues. I don't come here to read the personal put downs. It just distracts from the subject. I don't like trying to stay on subject when I have to read through personal attacks.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

18. Thanks Kathianne, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, CSM, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I refuse to use the Ignore feature. It is just a way to show you were defeated.
    You always have the option to back out of a thread without saying (typing) a word.
    If someone has the ability to see the posts from someone, and simply walk away when it's known garbage, then that's as good as the ignore button to me. I have more respect for those that ignore, in any manner, and walk away, opposed to coming here solely to fight. I think we have truly got them down very very much, but can still build up the positive and have less negativity ruining threads here.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post

I come here to read what people have to say about issues. I don't come here to read the personal put downs. It just distracts from the subject. I don't like trying to stay on subject when I have to read through personal attacks.
    I think it's the common theme of the complaints - folks don't want to be in threads littered with the crappy fights and personal put down crap. I know I had my part to play in it. I know I'm sticking to fixing my part. We ain't bringing folks back by suddenly trying to be more respectful here, but it can't hurt for those already here to see more discussion and less personal stuff.

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post

Sometimes a person is just begging to be told how stupid they are.

23. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sometimes a person is just begging to be told how stupid they are.
    C'mon, understood, believe me! And I am one that enjoys at time slapping around someone I think is trolling or truly being/playing dumb or delusional.

But listen, please, listen to what all the other members here are stating, some that don't post very often - and they are making it crystal clear to us what one of the major issues is. Instead of status quo, we should heed that advice and capitalize on it. There's a time and place for the former, called the cage, but we should all work together in listening to what folks are saying, and make an effort to improve.