Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    He's going quiet on backing himself up it appears thus far. Likely has some clients on the hot burner as well.
    It is I recall 6 hours ahead there. Does he post in the evening?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    ..... I'm halfway tempted to try out USMB ....

This little debate is one which neither of us is likely to do justice to. To examine the rights or wrongs of what you're claiming, I'm sure it'd be necessary to examine specific details.

I'd suggest a couple of perspectives, though.

One ... a Right wing forum (or predominantly so) will feel 'like home' to some. A little sanctuary of sanity in an otherwise eroding social order .. where cherished standards are being forever chipped away at. Those who'll feel this way can't be blamed for not being overly welcoming towards Left-wing agitators into their environment.

Two ... there's a sense of patriotism, national identity, in many Right wing Americans, and a sense of affrontery is only going to be natural when it's intruded upon by those who THINK they know better, when in fact they do not.

I've total sympathy with that, STTAB. I respect it.

I approach this forum as a Right winger who's supremely confident in what he believes in, and what he stands for. I will argue accordingly. I'll happily do that, to exhaustion if need be, because I believe that my ideas, perspectives, sheer faith in Right wing thinking, will serve me well, BUT, if they don't, then it'd be necessary to concede.

This, to me, is the only proper way to proceed.

BUT, that's just me. Others make of this forum what they choose.

They have that right, surely, STTAB ? Don't they have the right to post with honesty, according to what they feel is justified ?

In short, no . No one has a RIGHT to post here. We post here out of Jim's generosity, he sets the standards and the rules. That is HIS right. He began this thread to find suggestions to keep the board alive, and growing. If he concludes after reading this thread that "hey my board might do better if I shut down some of the posters who are constantly trying to run off people who disagree with them" that's his call. Same if he says "nah, I'm not worried about them" or what have you.

But no, no one has a RIGHT to post here.

3. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

..... I'm halfway tempted to try out USMB ....
    Last time I made a 'decent' post there, just as I do here in starting a thread.... came back like an hour later, and all good, like 79 replies to my thread already! But then I think I found like 3 of them on topic? Feuds that followed over from other threads from folks I have no idea who they are. Then a billion posts in general about how the left and right suck. But just utterly useless. And then peek around the sections first, and you'll see many are like that, if not the majority.

What they DO offer is a very large site, with many participants. So you are generally always going to find someone to discuss things with. It's just that you might get insulted from the first post, be injected into tons and tons of fun drama & find out who has the worst mother of them all. All good. Now go ahead and complain. Whatever the moderation side is these days I don't know for sure, but they were banning people for silly reasons and for retaliatory reasons. All one do is need read the announcements section and such. I don't mean to come down on the place, as hell, I kinda got it started. But I'm talking in comparison. That's one of the worst of the worst, for real. But if you truly wanted another place to try out... still not free of what we have here, and actually more, as they are bigger, but JPP is a decent place last I checked. And the owner is/was cool as hell!! He used to post with us from time to time. But the BIGGEST warning? Holy Hell, truthmatters aka wouldn't know the truth if it were stuffed down her throat, posts there, last I checked a year or so back or more.

IMO? ALL the sites have their share of issues we share as well. But not all of them are places to stay away from like DU. There are some decent folks at all of the above sites I'm sure, and I have known many, as they flip around various boards. It's the members that generally get attracted to political sites looking to debate aka argue things.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks Kathianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    It is I recall 6 hours ahead there. Does he post in the evening?
    Oh, I have no idea honestly. I'm not even sure exactly where he's at and don't care much about the very times he posts. But we'll see if he backs himself up or not. Or if he's learned well from Pete in the disappearing from answering questions and backing ones self up department.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    In short, no . No one has a RIGHT to post here. We post here out of Jim's generosity, he sets the standards and the rules. That is HIS right. He began this thread to find suggestions to keep the board alive, and growing. If he concludes after reading this thread that "hey my board might do better if I shut down some of the posters who are constantly trying to run off people who disagree with them" that's his call. Same if he says "nah, I'm not worried about them" or what have you.

Personally, I try and like to look at it like people DO have the right to post here, even though you are correct. That right exists until someone gives a reason to take it away - which is EXTREMELY rare unless someone is a spammer. I like freedom of speech and our old saying of your voice counts. I may be a true jerk off to some, but I have always honored free speech until I couldn't take it anymore, which again, very rare.

9. Thanks STTAB, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Last time I made a 'decent' post there, just as I do here in starting a thread.... came back like an hour later, and all good, like 79 replies to my thread already! But then I think I found like 3 of them on topic? Feuds that followed over from other threads from folks I have no idea who they are. Then a billion posts in general about how the left and right suck. But just utterly useless. And then peek around the sections first, and you'll see many are like that, if not the majority.

What they DO offer is a very large site, with many participants. So you are generally always going to find someone to discuss things with. It's just that you might get insulted from the first post, be injected into tons and tons of fun drama & find out who has the worst mother of them all. All good. Now go ahead and complain. Whatever the moderation side is these days I don't know for sure, but they were banning people for silly reasons and for retaliatory reasons. All one do is need read the announcements section and such. I don't mean to come down on the place, as hell, I kinda got it started. But I'm talking in comparison. That's one of the worst of the worst, for real. But if you truly wanted another place to try out... still not free of what we have here, and actually more, as they are bigger, but JPP is a decent place last I checked. And the owner is/was cool as hell!! He used to post with us from time to time. But the BIGGEST warning? Holy Hell, truthmatters aka wouldn't know the truth if it were stuffed down her throat, posts there, last I checked a year or so back or more.

IMO? ALL the sites have their share of issues we share as well. But not all of them are places to stay away from like DU. There are some decent folks at all of the above sites I'm sure, and I have known many, as they flip around various boards. It's the members that generally get attracted to political sites looking to debate aka argue things.

To me the ONLY enjoyable part of USMB was the flame zone, which is supposed to be least moderated area of the board, but is actually the most moderated part of the board.

Moderators are so busy looking to "get someone" in the flame zone that there is hardly any oversight at all in the regular forums.

As a test several months back . I wrote the most obscene post I could think of and posted it in the politics forum I am pretty sure I broke every rule they had and I even signed the post " fuck you usmb moderators this is sttab you can't keep me from posting"

then I had a friend post in the flame zone in a manner similar to me, not breaking any board rules , just being a semi obnoxious asshole like I can be sometimes.

The post upstairs is STILL up on the board and my account isn't banned or infracted in anyway .

The post down below got the user banned for being a "sttab sock"

LOL

That says everything you need to know about USMB.
    Last edited by STTAB; 11-05-2019 at 03:56 PM.

11. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post

You're taking me out of context. I was naturally referring to those who do post here, having the right - when they DO post - having the right to do so (subject to certain rules & regs !) in a way that's true to themselves, but also, hopefully, reputably as well.

I've no quarrel at all with the case you've just made. This is Jim's forum, and of course it'll follow that posters continue here according to his being happy that they do.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Personally, I try and like to look at it like people DO have the right to post here, even though you are correct. That right exists until someone gives a reason to take it away - which is EXTREMELY rare unless someone is a spammer. I like freedom of speech and our old saying of your voice counts. I may be a true jerk off to some, but I have always honored free speech until I couldn't take it anymore, which again, very rare.
    Ah, well !! I just agreed with STTAB on that one !

Regardless: glad to be here ! Besides which ... as I'm not an American, but I'm posting within what's basically an American community environment, it follows that I should respect my status as 'visitor' to it. It's something to keep in mind, anyway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Oh, I have no idea honestly. I'm not even sure exactly where he's at and don't care much about the very times he posts. But we'll see if he backs himself up or not. Or if he's learned well from Pete in the disappearing from answering questions and backing ones self up department.
    If Noir truly is from Northern Ireland, he'll share my own timezone. As I'm typing, it's 10.20pm.

GMT is 5 hours ahead of New York time, Eastern Seaboard. Is it correct that there's a 3 hour time difference between East and West United States ? So, minimum difference 5 hours, maximum 8 hours.

Subject to whatever responsibilities Noir has ... well, if I can post now, I don't see what stops Noir from doing so ... perhaps the Leftie need to evade plays a part ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

If Noir truly is from Northern Ireland, he'll share my own timezone. As I'm typing, it's 10.20pm.

GMT is 5 hours ahead of New York time, Eastern Seaboard. Is it correct that there's a 3 hour time difference between East and West United States ? So, minimum difference 5 hours, maximum 8 hours.

Subject to whatever responsibilities Noir has ... well, if I can post now, I don't see what stops Noir from doing so ... perhaps the Leftie need to evade plays a part ?

Maximum 10 hours... Hawaii.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

16. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Maximum 10 hours... Hawaii.
    Thanks ... should've thought of that !

I could check, of course .. but I'm now wondering about Alaska ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Thanks ... should've thought of that !

I could check, of course .. but I'm now wondering about Alaska ?

I believe they're an hour ahead of Hawaii.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

19. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I believe they're an hour ahead of Hawaii.
    Thanks again !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Thanks again !
    It's what I do.

I drink and I know things.
    Last edited by hjmick; 11-05-2019 at 06:55 PM.

22. Thanks Drummond, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Drummond, Kathianne, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

It's what I do.

I drink and I know things.
    What's a good drink recommendation when one needs a quick fix to drunkland? And which 2 teams will be in the superbowl this year?

Thx in advance my friend!!

24. Likes Drummond liked this post