Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Working On

Part of my self improvement plan:

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Abbey Marie, SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

another:

and one more:

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The only thing I stress about is my wife's visa bill every month. $1100 at Bed Bath & Beyond? I mean Christ on a cracker.

"well we needed new towels , but I didn't like any of them that were in the colors of our 4th bathroom that no one uses anyway, but still things need to match so when I bought new towels for the bathroom that never gets used I decided to just go ahead and change colors , so that meant a new shower curtain, and well I didn't want to hang the shower curtain on an old rod, so and then then a new rug and new hand towels and wash cloths, but then the soap dispenser I found was marked down from $50 to $20 so I actually saved $30 (forget it, I've tried explaining to her time and time again that buying something we don't need simply because it was marked down from $50 - $20 is NOT saving $30) well then I bought all this and then I realized I don't really like the color of the walls in that bathroom any more either, so here's a charge for $100 for paint from Home Depot as well"

And even with all that I know I'm a lucky man LOL

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The second one and stressing I know all too well. For me, that stress, at nighttime especially, has developed into what my doc calls the "mania". I sit/sleep/lay down and stress and think about things and my brain just keeps racing and thinking and stressing. It simply doesn't want to shut itself down, and it used to keep me up all night. Luckily I take medication now, and I can sleep, and the stressing and racing thoughts have disappeared.

The first would be magical! Nonetheless, I think it's something that would be fantastic for folks to follow. Another reason why I have encouraged folks to post in all sections, to allow us all to get to know one another better. I dunno, maybe it can help in recognizing how we all feel, and how we speak to one another.

For me, me alone I'm speaking of.... I will sometimes come here in an outright foul mood, or that "mania" going on and I may not even realize it. Sometimes I get moody from the mania, and I also may not recognize that. These things are MUCH easier to deal with in person, talking to people and one another, especially for me to be able to share feelings and explain why I may do this or that.

And you would think I would know better, but sometimes I'm not always fully aware. So I come here and already have a strike against myself. Like your pic points out, no one knows what's in my heart or what crap I'm going through the past few days.

If folks here were decent folks inside, and I honestly think each and every last member here IS. So that decency, when folks can see what's in the other person's heart, and know what ails them, and they know when things are cool, the communication here would be much better. We all don't really "know" one another. And when it's just an entity on the other side, and you see no feelings and no person and no knowledge of them, then I guess there is no heart, there are no challenges.

There's no magic wand to get folks here to know one another. I know and have stated already that I want to do better in quite a few manners, and will continue to do just that, and interact better, I hope. And I saw that some aren't terribly interested in doing similar.

And I also may be in the wrong thread too!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    The second one and stressing I know all too well. For me, that stress, at nighttime especially, has developed into what my doc calls the "mania". I sit/sleep/lay down and stress and think about things and my brain just keeps racing and thinking and stressing. It simply doesn't want to shut itself down, and it used to keep me up all night. Luckily I take medication now, and I can sleep, and the stressing and racing thoughts have disappeared.

The first would be magical! Nonetheless, I think it's something that would be fantastic for folks to follow. Another reason why I have encouraged folks to post in all sections, to allow us all to get to know one another better. I dunno, maybe it can help in recognizing how we all feel, and how we speak to one another.

For me, me alone I'm speaking of.... I will sometimes come here in an outright foul mood, or that "mania" going on and I may not even realize it. Sometimes I get moody from the mania, and I also may not recognize that. These things are MUCH easier to deal with in person, talking to people and one another, especially for me to be able to share feelings and explain why I may do this or that.

And you would think I would know better, but sometimes I'm not always fully aware. So I come here and already have a strike against myself. Like your pic points out, no one knows what's in my heart or what crap I'm going through the past few days.

If folks here were decent folks inside, and I honestly think each and every last member here IS. So that decency, when folks can see what's in the other person's heart, and know what ails them, and they know when things are cool, the communication here would be much better. We all don't really "know" one another. And when it's just an entity on the other side, and you see no feelings and no person and no knowledge of them, then I guess there is no heart, there are no challenges.

There's no magic wand to get folks here to know one another. I know and have stated already that I want to do better in quite a few manners, and will continue to do just that, and interact better, I hope. And I saw that some aren't terribly interested in doing similar.

I am trying to remember that I can only change myself. Whatever I do, it begins with me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    The only thing I stress about is my wife's visa bill every month. $1100 at Bed Bath & Beyond? I mean Christ on a cracker.

"well we needed new towels , but I didn't like any of them that were in the colors of our 4th bathroom that no one uses anyway, but still things need to match so when I bought new towels for the bathroom that never gets used I decided to just go ahead and change colors , so that meant a new shower curtain, and well I didn't want to hang the shower curtain on an old rod, so and then then a new rug and new hand towels and wash cloths, but then the soap dispenser I found was marked down from $50 to $20 so I actually saved $30 (forget it, I've tried explaining to her time and time again that buying something we don't need simply because it was marked down from $50 - $20 is NOT saving $30) well then I bought all this and then I realized I don't really like the color of the walls in that bathroom any more either, so here's a charge for $100 for paint from Home Depot as well"

And even with all that I know I'm a lucky man LOL
    If it helps you feel any better... My wife popped on Amazon last night and bought $239 worth of bones and treats for the dog (Nikoh). Of course not a single treat for my poor misguided and misunderstood Chihuahua.

And hey, I take hand me downs, even towels!!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I am trying to remember that I can only change myself. Whatever I do, it begins with me.
    Yups. That's what I said, I can turn over a leaf and TRY to do my best. I know I'll screw up often, but I plan on trying, and I'll hop right back on if I do screwup. And if others choose not to, so be it. Can only do my part.

12. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Untrue. I know I sound like a broken record preacher man. But nothing feels better than changing a child's life and giving them what they previously could only have dreamed of.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Untrue. I know I sound like a broken record preacher man. But nothing feels better than changing a child's life and giving them what they previously could only have dreamed of.
    One can provide opportunities, but the future is in the child's own hands.

15. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

I often stress about this ... which stresses me out . I try to remember back in the day when I didn't. I just took stuff as it came. Somewhere along the line it has come to predicting what's coming and stressing about it. And please don't give me an appointment for next week. Tell me that if one just came up and if I can get there in 30 minutes ... Hey, I wind myself up like a top for 30 minutes but it beats waiting around all week.

What I don't get is, I know it isn't that I didn't care. I just didn't worry about it until it happened. I blame it on getting old and I'd sure love to reverse the behavior. Instead, I just stress about not being able to
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

One can provide opportunities, but the future is in the child's own hands.
    Simply untrue. I know we like to believe we live in a country where everyone has equal opportunity, but that isn't true at all. Sure there are the outliers who escape abject poverty , but they are outliers for a reason. For every Ben Carson, there are 25K kids who grew up in that exact same lifestyle and still live that exact same lifestyle as adults

Opportunity changes futures , that's precisely why so many people risk life and limb to get into country illegally every year. Opportunities that they could only dream of in whatever shit hole they came from.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I agree with both. The opportunity must first exist. What one chooses to do with that opportunity will decide its affect.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

19. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I agree with both. The opportunity must first exist. What one chooses to do with that opportunity will decide its affect.

Of course true

Actually I think this is a very good example of why both parties suck.

On the one hand you have the Republicans who believe "hey everyone has the same opportunity, fuck you if you didn't succeed, I got mine"

on the other hand you have the Democrats "hey not everyone has the same opportunity, so why should people have to try, let's just let the government help them"

It's a combination of both. You have to help people get the oppurtunity, but if they don't want better no matter what you do for them , they will be losers for all time. My unofficially adopted son is a perfect example lf this. He was living in the city park when my wife brought him home. We sat him down and were straight with him. "We'll give you a home, and every oppurtunity our own children have, but that also means you have to work to earn it, you're not just gonna move in here and be a bum"

I still to this day don't think I'll have a more proud day than the day he graduated college. He's in Afghanistan now, A 1st LT in the US Army, he became a helicopter mechanic and now is in charge of several soldiers who maintain an entire squadron of helicopters. He plans on making a career of the Army. Ooh rah.

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Of course true

Actually I think this is a very good example of why both parties suck.

On the one hand you have the Republicans who believe "hey everyone has the same opportunity, fuck you if you didn't succeed, I got mine"

on the other hand you have the Democrats "hey not everyone has the same opportunity, so why should people have to try, let's just let the government help them"

It's a combination of both. You have to help people get the oppurtunity, but if they don't want better no matter what you do for them , they will be losers for all time. My unofficially adopted son is a perfect example lf this. He was living in the city park when my wife brought him home. We sat him down and were straight with him. "We'll give you a home, and every oppurtunity our own children have, but that also means you have to work to earn it, you're not just gonna move in here and be a bum"

I still to this day don't think I'll have a more proud day than the day he graduated college. He's in Afghanistan now, A 1st LT in the US Army, he became a helicopter mechanic and now is in charge of several soldiers who maintain an entire squadron of helicopters. He plans on making a career of the Army. Ooh rah.
    Funny how life always comes down to opportunity and choice. The opportunity has to exist, then you have to make the right choice. The "right" choice depending on how it turned out after the fact.

23. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Funny how life always comes down to opportunity and choice. The opportunity has to exist, then you have to make the right choice. The "right" choice depending on how it turned out after the fact.

It's funny , he never even thought about the Army before living here, in fact he had an arrest record and we had to get a waiver for him, but now he loves everything about Army life. I couldn't be more proud of the person he's became. Like I said before, my own son who's the same age, I never worried about him (he's also in the Army, stationed in Ga after 2 tours in Iraq, he's also a 1st Lt and I can't discuss too much about his role in the Army ) but he hasn't came out and said "this is gonna be my career" yet.

Here's hoping.

25. Thanks Gunny thanked this post