Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default How Climate Activist Arnold Schwarzenegger Became Box Office Poison

Schwarzenegger was one quickly known as a conservative actor turned politician, but quickly turned into a RINO and then more so a liberal. Obviously his acting and movies went down to nil as he became a politician. He lectured California and America and even won re-election. He tried to do movies in between, not too successfully. And continued with the lecturing after leaving office, and much turned into attacks. At the same time he tried to get back into the movie scene. Obviously his name alone allowed him to do so, but the movies were never the same. And his lecturing and attacks continued, and maybe even grew.

The quality of the movies stayed the same, sub-par IMO.... He cheated on Maria Shriver... We found out about his old nanny and his son. At least he seemingly did the right thing by all the above.

But his attacks and lectures about America, on Twitter, IMO, has what kept him down in the movie scene. Yes, a lot of it is a popularity contest - and why people hit the theaters when it's a movie with big names in it. So, you act in a certain manner that reflects negatively on you, even if only by some, it stands to reason why movie viewership would go down, IMO.

--

How Climate Activist Arnold Schwarzenegger Became Box Office Poison

Reporters have spent days detailing why Terminator: Dark Fate became the year’s most embarrassing flop.

The movie made just $29 million stateside, and its foreign box office totals are equally weak ($94 million and counting). That’s no way for a franchise reboot to perform. Most observers are writing the saga’s obituary.

Those reporters nailed some of the core reasons for its box office woes, from franchise fatigue to recycled story beats. Most missed another crucial factor.

The sad decline of Arnold Schwarzenegger, A-list movie star.

Yes, once upon a time Ah-nold ruled Hollywood, cranking out hit after hit despite his limited acting chops. Today? He’s an anchor in the worst of ways, a drag on any project hoping to crack the critical $100 million box office mark.

He still could leverage his waning star power for direct-to-video glory a la Nicolas Cage and Bruce Willis. Otherwise, studios should be wary.

How did we get here? There’s no one answer …

‘Hasta La Vista, Hollywood’

The actor famously hung up his SAG card and ran for governor of Kah-lee-forn-ya in 2003. And he won via a special recall election.

His stunning victory added another chapter to his immigrant success story. Sure, his film career had cooled by then, but his political segue made making more movies impossible.

In Hollywood, taking any kind of sabbatical can be brutal to one’s career. Just ask Renee Zellweger, the Oscar winner who struggled to reclaim her film traction following a five-year hiatus.

The Report Card … Wasn’t Good

Schwarzenegger shocked the political landscape by becoming governor without any previous political experience (sound familiar?). He even won re-election with more than 1 million votes. Still, he left office with a brutal 23 percent approval rating within the state.

Everyone loves a winner. The actor turned Governator emerged from his political life with a slate gray cloud over his head … and brand.

RINO

Coming out as a conservative in 2019 Hollywood could kill one’s career, or at least make finding work a chore. Just ask the stars of Will & Grace, happy to avoid anyone who votes for the GOP.

Things weren’t as harsh a decade or so ago, but Schwarzenegger’s Republican brand didn’t make it easier on him. That’s only part of the problem, one that’s grown worse in recent years.

Some see him as yet another RINO – Republican in Name Only. That’s partially due to his California roots. It’s tough to be a rock-ribbed Republican in the Golden State.

Going political, per se, won’t always hurt your career. It’s given Alyssa Milano a huge boost, for example. Branding yourself as a member of one party, and then alienating key members of said group, is something different.

Eco-Whining

Some images are hard to shake, like a floppy-haired Hugh Grant begging for forgiveness on The Tonight Show after getting caught with a prostitute.

Similarly, close your eyes and you’ll see Schwarzenegger flaunting his fame sans guilt.

Remember the pictures of him puffing on massive cigars and driving around in a gas-guzzling Hummers? Few stars enjoyed the spoils of success quite like Schwarzenegger.

These days, he’s singing from the eco-choir. He even supports suing oil companies for hurting the planet. This week Schwarzenegger embraced the radical left’s climate change sage.

Rest - https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb...ame-box-office
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I always wondered if anyone knew anything about Arnold. He was only "conservative" by comparison to the other CA fruits and nuts. He'd have to run as a Dem anywhere else but maybe NM or the upper-Midwest.

Most of what I knew/know about him is from pre-acting, pre-politics bodybuilding days. He;s always held liberal views and his reported behavior has always been toward the left. And there were conservatives at one time saying, "Too bad he wasn't born in the US and can't run for President". Arnold's greatest asset has been self-promotion.

Of course his movie sucked. They should have stopped after the first one because they just kept going downhill from there. Not to mention how old is he now? His body sold Terminator. And really the rest of his movies. As a straight-up leading role actor he sucks. Can't blame Arnold it took from the 80s until now to figure it out.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I have never thought of him to be an "A-List" actor. Entertaining, but just average.

His verbal deliveries are clunky and I do not attribute that to his accent. It is lack of skill.
    His physical skill is impressive, but that is all he has.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I have never thought of him to be an "A-List" actor. Entertaining, but just average.

His verbal deliveries are clunky and I do not attribute that to his accent. It is lack of skill.
    His physical skill is impressive, but that is all he has.
    On one hand I'll give him props because he earned everything he has starting from the bottom. He arrived here from Austria with nothing but a contract from Joe Weider and the clothes on his back.

On the other hand, he was a dirty pool player as a pro bodybuilder. He played psych games with the other contestants. He jacked Lou Ferrigno's head up so bad in one MR Olympia he pretty much hosed him out. He was completely obnoxious, IMO. Then there's his "comeback" in 80 after 2 years of retirement and winning. He also was co-promoter with Joe Weider who had hitched his wagon to Arnold and rode his coattails to a fortune.

Might no sound lie much to some, but for me personally, how you get there matters as much as getting there.

One thing he DIDN'T do. Remember the early Van Damme movies? He would spend an inordinate amount of time towards the beginning of each one explaining away his accent. Especially in Kickboxer where his brother was an American kickboxing champion (in real life). "When my parents divorced my brother went to live in the US with my mother and I lived in Belgium with my father" or some such crap Arnold didn't bother

Anyway, I never considered Arnold a conservative by any real definition of the term.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke