Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Always wonder myself. Can't address him as a superior as you do. I always give a polite salute. Of course he is a sir to me, and has earned much more than that.

How should I address? Curious!

LOl ,the whole "I work for a living" is simply a rub at lower ranked enlisted who call NCos sir or maam, and a small jab at officers who most enlisted believe are mostly worthless LOL.

It doesn't REALLY apply to civilians, just those of us who have served have heard it so many times it's almost an auto response LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Sir? He works for a living and being called sir is quite the insult to an NCO lol

Happy birthday CSM
    I was never in the military and don't pretend to know how all the addressing works.

I do know I was brought up with how to address folks as "Yes Sir" or "Yes Ma'am". "Respect your elders" or get an ass kicking. So to me, any guy is "sir" unless I know them or told otherwise. Similar with the ladies of course. That's how I would address people outside today. Everyone I know works or worked for a living and I would never mean any disrespect to any of them, more so towards military folks. I never once heard of or thought of "sir" to be based on someone's employment.

I just didn't feel right addressing a military person with a military name - when I felt that I never earned that right. I have earned the right to respect the F out of al of our military, and of course then some and more for such folks that dedicated a career to it, and worked their tail off to such positions.

It may appear insulting from the outside or to those in the know in the military, when I address CSM, I do so with a monster amount of respect, and look up to him, and I don't think I ever once crossed words with.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Sergeant Major is fine .... Command Sergeant Major is the more formal address.... akin to "His Majesty the King" ..... LOL
    Sergeant Major, I have always watched Gunny address you as such over the years, and also respected that camaraderie, and that level of respect in the military in respecting those officers. I always felt a little left out for not being in a club that I chickened out at!

I feel blessed to have all of you guys here over the years. And blessed with folks such as yourself, to be here and share stuff with all of us over the years. I hope that the respect doesn't go unnoticed, or that one may feel it's not there. I have always had an immense amount of respect for our military over the years, hence my boards being designed in a military nature of sorts. I think the best of our best is what made our country so great!

Ok, Sergeant Major, I haven't earned that right via serving our country, but love to show that respect regardless.

Thank you to all of you.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I was never in the military and don't pretend to know how all the addressing works.

I do know I was brought up with how to address folks as "Yes Sir" or "Yes Ma'am". "Respect your elders" or get an ass kicking. So to me, any guy is "sir" unless I know them or told otherwise. Similar with the ladies of course. That's how I would address people outside today. Everyone I know works or worked for a living and I would never mean any disrespect to any of them, more so towards military folks. I never once heard of or thought of "sir" to be based on someone's employment.

I just didn't feel right addressing a military person with a military name - when I felt that I never earned that right. I have earned the right to respect the F out of al of our military, and of course then some and more for such folks that dedicated a career to it, and worked their tail off to such positions.

It may appear insulting from the outside or to those in the know in the military, when I address CSM, I do so with a monster amount of respect, and look up to him, and I don't think I ever once crossed words with.

I can't even guess at how many pushups I did in basic training as a result of calling a female drill instructor "ma'am"

"Private I'm a Sargent in this this woman's Army, I work for a living, you do address me as ma'am" LOL took a shit load of pushups to break that southern habit. She even asked me once if I was just that polite or what my deal was, I told her "my mom raised me with manner ma''am , err I mean drill Sargent" when my parents came for basic training she introduced herself to them and my mom was all "it's nice to meet you ma'am" LOL

Its funny how you look back at something like that after 30 years and it seems so funny when at the time it seemed like pure torture.

6. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Happy birthday!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

8. Thanks CSM thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Sergeant Major, I have always watched Gunny address you as such over the years, and also respected that camaraderie, and that level of respect in the military in respecting those officers. I always felt a little left out for not being in a club that I chickened out at!

I feel blessed to have all of you guys here over the years. And blessed with folks such as yourself, to be here and share stuff with all of us over the years. I hope that the respect doesn't go unnoticed, or that one may feel it's not there. I have always had an immense amount of respect for our military over the years, hence my boards being designed in a military nature of sorts. I think the best of our best is what made our country so great!

Ok, Sergeant Major, I haven't earned that right via serving our country, but love to show that respect regardless.

Thank you to all of you.
    One of the reasons I love this board is BECAUSE of the respect shown to ALL the veterans who post here. YOu can bet that if us vets didn't feel respected, you would know it!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

10. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    One of the reasons I love this board is BECAUSE of the respect shown to ALL the veterans who post here. YOu can bet that if us vets didn't feel respected, you would know it!
    Thanks, Si.... Thank you, Sergeant Major. It means a lot to me if any of the military or veterans that come here, notices my appreciation for them and may notice how things get centered around them if and when possible. You guys are the heroes, my respect and small things are tiny gestures of thanks is all.

12. Likes Kathianne liked this post