Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default County Seizes Michigan Man's Home After He Underpays Taxes by $8.41

Isn't there ever a time where common sense simply takes over? We see a lot of crazy shit over the years when it comes to government bureaucracy and I'm baffled as to why folks can't simply make stupid corrections and avoid this crap from happening.

--

County Seizes Michigan Man's Home After He Underpays Taxes by $8.41

Halloween may have passed, but here is a horror story about the government using its power to tax as a means of seizing private property, then making a profit for itself. Michigan's Oakland County basically stole an elderly man's house and flipped it for a profit.

Reason:

An 83-year-old retired engineer in Michigan underpaid his property taxes by $8.41. In response, Oakland County seized his property, auctioned it off to settle the debt, and pocketed nearly $24,500 in excess revenue from the sale.

Under Michigan law, it was all legal. And hardly uncommon.

Uri Rafaeli, who lost his property and all the equity associated with it, is just one of thousands of people to be victimized by Michigan's uniquely aggressive property tax statute.
    This is yet another example of a law being passed with good intentions but soon turning into a nightmare when power-hungry officials pervert it:

The law, passed in 1999 in an attempt to accelerate the rehabilitation of abandoned properties, empowers county treasurers to act as debt collectors. In the process, it creates a perverse incentive by allowing treasurers' offices to retain excess revenue raised by seizing and selling properties with delinquent taxes—even when the amount owed is minuscule, and even when the homes aren't abandoned or blighted at all.
    Rest - https://pjmedia.com/trending/county-...taxes-by-8-41/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Isn't there ever a time where common sense simply takes over? We see a lot of crazy shit over the years when it comes to government bureaucracy and I'm baffled as to why folks can't simply make stupid corrections and avoid this crap from happening.

--

County Seizes Michigan Man's Home After He Underpays Taxes by $8.41

Halloween may have passed, but here is a horror story about the government using its power to tax as a means of seizing private property, then making a profit for itself. Michigan's Oakland County basically stole an elderly man's house and flipped it for a profit.

Reason:

This is yet another example of a law being passed with good intentions but soon turning into a nightmare when power-hungry officials pervert it:

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/trending/county-...taxes-by-8-41/

I found a little more information on this case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unpaid-...s-their-house/

First, the guy didn't even live in the house, so no he didnt lose his home.

Second, he was several YEARS delinquent on penalties and such

Third, The county claims that the guy was given ample time notice to pay his taxes before the house was foreclosed, and the court appears to have agreed with the county and thus allowed the sale.

Just as a general rule when a government tax agency sends me a bill, I pay it.