Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default Just a reminder to myself

I didn't want to lose this, so I am posting it here. This is the one place I visit everyday if I can.

Written by my son; had to share:

Seen a lot of very deep post this morning about veterans. I have been thinking this morning (as I iron my uniform for what must be the 10,000th time since I joined) about these post, and my service, and others service, and the families that support the service members. Recently I posted an article where the author stated that not all service members are hero's, I agreed. But all service members HAVE sacrificed. Some more, some less, but all have sacrificed. Whether you believe in all, some or none of the military action the US has taken over the course of our country's history, what you can't deny is that OUR duly elected officials are the ones that decide where and when the military is used. Our elected officials empower military leaders to determine where and when our military trains, how long they are gone for, and how to best use the military as power projection and deterrence in times of peace. So combat vet, or peace time vet, we who serve the duly elected government DO serve and sacrifice for our civilian population. I write this not because I want to rub our service in the face of any doubting civilians, but because I want you, my brothers and sisters in arms, to know your service IS special, I want you, sons and daughters of those departed service members who have acted on the orders of this nations leaders, to know that service meant something, MEANS something. To the families who supported your veteran, thank you, having seen a service member that has support at home, versus a service member who does not, I can tell you a supporting network of friends and family truly are a combat multiplier. I also wanted to say this, to my fellow vets, Shakespeare was right: "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother" . Our story is a collective story, that we share in, we revel in - truly your story is my story and mine yours. How many veterans share a story, and based on our collective understanding, its like we are actually reliving our own experience as we hear it. It has been said, there is nothing that can compare to service anywhere in the civilian world, and it is true. Finally, I want to thank those who I have had the absolute privilege of leading, it truly was an honor. I only hope you got as much from me, as I got from you. Happy veterans day folks!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Thanks Kathianne, Bilgerat, SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc, Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

That is beautiful, I know why you want to keep it. Please, thank your sons for their service again. As always, thank you for yours.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes jimnyc, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I didn't want to lose this, so I am posting it here. This is the one place I visit everyday if I can.

Written by my son; had to share:

Seen a lot of very deep post this morning about veterans. I have been thinking this morning (as I iron my uniform for what must be the 10,000th time since I joined) about these post, and my service, and others service, and the families that support the service members. Recently I posted an article where the author stated that not all service members are hero's, I agreed. But all service members HAVE sacrificed. Some more, some less, but all have sacrificed. Whether you believe in all, some or none of the military action the US has taken over the course of our country's history, what you can't deny is that OUR duly elected officials are the ones that decide where and when the military is used. Our elected officials empower military leaders to determine where and when our military trains, how long they are gone for, and how to best use the military as power projection and deterrence in times of peace. So combat vet, or peace time vet, we who serve the duly elected government DO serve and sacrifice for our civilian population. I write this not because I want to rub our service in the face of any doubting civilians, but because I want you, my brothers and sisters in arms, to know your service IS special, I want you, sons and daughters of those departed service members who have acted on the orders of this nations leaders, to know that service meant something, MEANS something. To the families who supported your veteran, thank you, having seen a service member that has support at home, versus a service member who does not, I can tell you a supporting network of friends and family truly are a combat multiplier. I also wanted to say this, to my fellow vets, Shakespeare was right: "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother" . Our story is a collective story, that we share in, we revel in - truly your story is my story and mine yours. How many veterans share a story, and based on our collective understanding, its like we are actually reliving our own experience as we hear it. It has been said, there is nothing that can compare to service anywhere in the civilian world, and it is true. Finally, I want to thank those who I have had the absolute privilege of leading, it truly was an honor. I only hope you got as much from me, as I got from you. Happy veterans day folks!
    I know those with the right, those who have served, can and sometimes will determine who gets labeled a hero. For me, a civilian, and one who has watched freedoms in our country, and watched how things could be from other countries around the world. For us non-serving civilians, you are all our heroes. Or at least in my book.

Even as an outsider, I see a ton of the sacrifices that our military folk give. I've watched the deaths in my short time on this planet, and I wasn't born until '68 and all the big wars had passed us by. I've seen those sacrifices, and the suffering of many who have been in wars. I've seen too many families out there crying about loved ones they will never see again, those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Just this morning I was linked to a site by my Dad, who is also a huge supporter of the military. He shook his head and complained to me about the money that folks make in the military. And then hell, as I looked through the various branches, and saw what the long timers makes.... and then as if that's not bad enough, then the shitty minimal help to those veterans truly in need.

So to you again, thank you! And tell your sons the same!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock