Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Try being me for a week or two

I was on this page a little while ago and laughed at what I had in common with damn cartoons. I deal with depression and anxiety all the time, and it's ruined a good portion of my adult life, not being able to live out things fully the way I would like. And not many see it because I hide it. It's embarrassing for whatever reason.

@NT'sGirl is one of the rare few that saw it in action. On my first trip to Alaska it was a long 14 hour flight. 5 hours to Dallas, 4 on the ground and then another 6 or so to Alaska? I was already on edge. Rick and Sharon picked me up and away we went. We made a few stops and stopped at a friend of theirs over there, Lee. Great guy! All cool as hell there that I met. But my anxiety was picking up and I couldn't gobble xanax in front of everyone. As we were leaving his house I felt it, and Sharon noticed and asked if I was ok. I was flush and all kinds of sweaty, my hair and my chest/neck area. I felt it and didn't know anyone noticed, but she did! It got better, and the trip was fantastic as you know, but the anxiety found it's way to interrupt me several times while there.

Anyway, to ME, these pictures make so much sense. I can relate to each and everyone of them in some way or manner. Folks that have never dealt with it don't understand. But when I talk to others, and they tell me things they deal with, I realize I'm not alone, just alone.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Hard pass.

I see everyday what it does to a person. My wife has multiple diagnosis'... Bi-Polar, anxiety, depression, PTSD, one or two more just for fun...

There were several years when she couldn't leave the house except to go to work. I did everything... grocery shopping, took the kids to there shit, took the kids out, cars, everything that had to be done outside of the house, and a lot of what needed to be done inside of the house, I did. I'm not complaining, not even a little bit. I am showing just how debilitating mental illness can be.

The key is a good doctor and proper medication. It took us years and a couple of stumbles to get to that point...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing embarrassing about it, Jim. Nothing. Hang in there.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Hard pass.

I see everyday what it does to a person. My wife has multiple diagnosis'... Bi-Polar, anxiety, depression, PTSD, one or two more just for fun...

There were several years when she couldn't leave the house except to go to work. I did everything... grocery shopping, took the kids to there shit, took the kids out, cars, everything that had to be done outside of the house, and a lot of what needed to be done inside of the house, I did. I'm not complaining, not even a little bit. I am showing just how debilitating mental illness can be.

The key is a good doctor and proper medication. It took us years and a couple of stumbles to get to that point...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing embarrassing about it, Jim. Nothing. Hang in there.
    I got the bipolar and anxiety and depression, but no ptsd stuff thankfully. I know a lot deal with it or deal with someone with it, but more so don't know anything.

I work my hardest to ensure I do those little things that you took responsibility of. I'm still the one taking care of the home and yard (I try) and I'm the one who does all the errands outside the home. So I am functioning, just not as I would fully prefer. I would prefer to be working and if I didn't stumble I would/should be in the 120k range now. Instead, nada!

I have been with my same Doc since about 2004. We have tried various medicine lineups in the first 6-10 years, but I think we are on to something stable now that I like. Been on the same meds for a long long time now and I'm cool with it. Take an antidepressant in the morn and some other crap, and then something to sleep at night. And xanax as needed. I DO NOT abuse that one, never. Most people do. He said I'm a rarity. Never once increased dosage and never once did my dog eat my meds! Supposed to take 5 a day but I really take 2, and as needed from there, which thankfully isn't often. But that antidepressant is a double edge sword. It helps, but if I forget just ONE day, by 5pm I'm feeling a little crazy, off the rails, speedy up and light headed. If I forget THEN, I likely will have horrid sleep and feel 20x worse the next day. You MUST go down slowly when going off, very slowly. If at all.

So I'm a slave to my medication and I absolutely can't stand that.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Jim, I can totally relate. Bipolar II, anxiety, PTSD, hyper vigilant, insomnia, major depressive disorder and a period of time with mild agorophobia.

Most of my life I woke up pissed off that I woke up. Not anymore.

Anti depressants don't work on me which I just recently discovered is probably due to TBI.

My Bipolar II allowed for long periods of time, years, of high functionality and then short periods of debilitating depression. As I grew older the high and low periods started swapping out and longer depressive episodes and shorter periods of functioning. Bipolar II is harder to diagnosed due to the longer periods of up and down.

In 2013 .. after divorce and death of baby sister from 10 year cancer battle I checked myself into a mental health facility. While there I tried a mood stabilizer, Lamotrogine, and was able to have a better outcome.

And then, last year, I started on Keto diet, 90 day detox protocol and peptide injections. Lost 40 lbs and got off the lamotrogine, blood pressure meds, ulcer medication, ambien (took every night for 20 years ... now, maybe once a month). I feel better than I have my whole life.

I still have down days ... but it is a day here and there ... not weeks, months, years.

I truly believe a lot of my ability to deal with depression has to do with what food I put in my body.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Jim, I can totally relate. Bipolar II, anxiety, PTSD, hyper vigilant, insomnia, major depressive disorder and a period of time with mild agorophobia.

Anti depressants don't work on me which I just recently discovered is probably due to TBI.

My Bipolar II allowed for long periods of time, years, of high functionality and then short periods of debilitating depression. As I grew older the high and low periods started swapping out and longer depressive episodes and shorter periods of functioning. Bipolar II is harder to diagnosed due to the longer periods of up and down.

In 2013 .. after divorce and death of baby sister from 10 year cancer battle I checked myself into a mental health facility. While there I tried a mood stabilizer, Lamotrogine, and was able to have a better outcome.

And then, last year, I started on Keto diet, 90 day detox protocol and peptide injections. Lost 40 lbs and got off the lamotrogine, blood pressure meds, ulcer medication, ambien (took every night for 20 years ... now, maybe once a month). I feel better than I have my whole life.

I still have down days ... but it is a day here and there ... not weeks, months, years.

I truly believe a lot of my ability to deal with depression has to do with what food I put in my body.
    That's what I have, Bipolar II. And I too can go a month or 2 on such a "high" that I feel I can do so many things and sleep less and the 'mania' sets in a little for the better, as that stage in the high you can take advantage of it. Many famous people had it and did just that, and many in athletes, politics and lots of smarty pants folks.

But then the fun starts when the high starts going away and you start feeling sluggish. Then you start getting depressed - and have NO WAY to explain it, as you don't even know why you're depressed. It's not like I'm always sad or brought down by specific things, just life in general, and my body suffers as a result.

Then I want to sleep in more and go to bed earlier. I start hibernating and not wanting to go out and not wanting to see people, and not wanting to even call people as much, or answer the phone... Then folks like us will often ignore responsibilities like doctor appointments and taking care of ourselves. Not with the shrink though, as we need our meds! I let my hair grow at those times, may shower less and life just basically starts to suck. That's when folks here may see me disappear or not post for awhile, as I know I'm not myself.

Someone in my family is taking Lamotrogine right now!

I feel similar to you about putting things in my body. And part of me would love nothing more than to go back and not being on life controlling medications and being a slave to them. But, unfortunately for me, I have to admit that it's helped me. I make bad decisions. I spend not quite wisely and a tad out of control. I would often stay out with the guys drinking and what not after work. Was all wound up at work on coffee and a little wound up in general. Just all kinds of bad decisions in life. I'm sure you're aware of all the possible negative things that a bipolar person can do. Well, I did them all!! And I'm not cured, but the person I am now is much different. More in control. Not bouncing off the walls 24x7. A little better with all of my decisions, most of the time. I just hate to have to take things on a schedule. To have to visit a doc monthly and pay such money. And all of the "What If's" that come along with it.

I don't know about me and agorophobia. More and more and more now in my life I find being away from home to be SO uncomfortable, and just want to get back to the safety of home. I was also recently diagnosed with ADHD by my doc, but we aren't doing anything about it.

I am TRULY glad to see that you dealt with it head on, beat it to an extent and are on all that healthy stuff and better!! I read so many stories of similar folks and success stories. Good for you!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    That's what I have, Bipolar II. And I too can go a month or 2 on such a "high" that I feel I can do so many things and sleep less and the 'mania' sets in a little for the better, as that stage in the high you can take advantage of it. Many famous people had it and did just that, and many in athletes, politics and lots of smarty pants folks.

But then the fun starts when the high starts going away and you start feeling sluggish. Then you start getting depressed - and have NO WAY to explain it, as you don't even know why you're depressed. It's not like I'm always sad or brought down by specific things, just life in general, and my body suffers as a result.

Then I want to sleep in more and go to bed earlier. I start hibernating and not wanting to go out and not wanting to see people, and not wanting to even call people as much, or answer the phone... Then folks like us will often ignore responsibilities like doctor appointments and taking care of ourselves. Not with the shrink though, as we need our meds! I let my hair grow at those times, may shower less and life just basically starts to suck. That's when folks here may see me disappear or not post for awhile, as I know I'm not myself.

Someone in my family is taking Lamotrogine right now!

I feel similar to you about putting things in my body. And part of me would love nothing more than to go back and not being on life controlling medications and being a slave to them. But, unfortunately for me, I have to admit that it's helped me. I make bad decisions. I spend not quite wisely and a tad out of control. I would often stay out with the guys drinking and what not after work. Was all wound up at work on coffee and a little wound up in general. Just all kinds of bad decisions in life. I'm sure you're aware of all the possible negative things that a bipolar person can do. Well, I did them all!! And I'm not cured, but the person I am now is much different. More in control. Not bouncing off the walls 24x7. A little better with all of my decisions, most of the time. I just hate to have to take things on a schedule. To have to visit a doc monthly and pay such money. And all of the "What If's" that come along with it.

I don't know about me and agorophobia. More and more and more now in my life I find being away from home to be SO uncomfortable, and just want to get back to the safety of home. I was also recently diagnosed with ADHD by my doc, but we aren't doing anything about it.

I am TRULY glad to see that you dealt with it head on, beat it to an extent and are on all that healthy stuff and better!! I read so many stories of similar folks and success stories. Good for you!!
    You don't have to go off meds ... just stop putting one thing (carbs) in your body and go for a month and then eliminate something else for another month. Now, you've eliminated 2 things. The next month add another thing. At the same time add something like MCT oil. Eventually you will feel better about not putting stuff in your body.

Start with something like sugar or grains ... give your body a chance to repair rather than fighting off the poisons. You will definitely go through some withdrawal but your body will eventually adapt.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post

I'm so proud of you, SL! You look so good and healthy!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I was on this page a little while ago and laughed at what I had in common with damn cartoons. I deal with depression and anxiety all the time, and it's ruined a good portion of my adult life, not being able to live out things fully the way I would like. And not many see it because I hide it. It's embarrassing for whatever reason.

@NT'sGirl is one of the rare few that saw it in action. On my first trip to Alaska it was a long 14 hour flight. 5 hours to Dallas, 4 on the ground and then another 6 or so to Alaska? I was already on edge. Rick and Sharon picked me up and away we went. We made a few stops and stopped at a friend of theirs over there, Lee. Great guy! All cool as hell there that I met. But my anxiety was picking up and I couldn't gobble xanax in front of everyone. As we were leaving his house I felt it, and Sharon noticed and asked if I was ok. I was flush and all kinds of sweaty, my hair and my chest/neck area. I felt it and didn't know anyone noticed, but she did! It got better, and the trip was fantastic as you know, but the anxiety found it's way to interrupt me several times while there.

Anyway, to ME, these pictures make so much sense. I can relate to each and everyone of them in some way or manner. Folks that have never dealt with it don't understand. But when I talk to others, and they tell me things they deal with, I realize I'm not alone, just alone.
    Sometimes it takes one to know one. ( most people assume I am normal until you get to know me )
    I saw it in you because I know it in me, and several of my family members.
    I am thankful every day that I have decided to not give a shit if you dont like me having a mental breakdown you can leave. I may be stuck in my own personal hell of a brain but you dont have to stay.

Also I found ways that work for me to keep the dragons at bay, without the drug therapy. People who are able to understand and support me are the keys to my life.

Trying to explain my version of anxiety and depression to anyone who has never had to deal with it on the daily is very frustrating for all parties involved in that convo..
    because I dont look like I have a problem.... because I can still smile and laugh and "act normal".

As I have told several friends and family who feel they are alone... NOT ONE person on this earth is perfect or normal! Every person has had to deal with depression and anxiety at some point. Some of us just have a lifetime pass on that bus. It helps when you are no longer afraid of it. It helps to let others know when it gets too heavy. Some days are great and you dont have to pretend to be a normal person because you just are, other days you have to fake it until you find your way out.

Love ya man
    I will always be there for you even on the darkest day.
    I will gladly share the burden with you or anyone else trying to find a way out of the dark labyrinth, as others have done for me.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Shit... I feel good to be me now...

Had a veteran friend pass away recently. He was younger than I am. Was over to his place and talked to him about the VA telling him he had cancer and... well... he didn't look or sound much different to me than he ever had. We had a little swig of Crown Royal whiskey that he liked, talked, I left... a few days later I got a call from a girl that I didn't know but evidently was in his life, got my number off his phone and they knew I was his friend, called me and said he'd passed away the night before... I was like... fuck... why is everyone I know dying?

I wish only the best for whoever, you Jim, Sassy, everyone. It's a real bummer the problems you have. Makes me feel thankful for the few problems I have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Hope you get to feeling better, Jim.

I never know what to say to these threads because I'm a sarcastic smartass at heart and will usually say the wrong thing Just keep on keepin' on, buddy
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Hope you get to feeling better, Jim.

I never know what to say to these threads because I'm a sarcastic smartass at heart and will usually say the wrong thing Just keep on keepin' on, buddy
    Oh I'm good man, thanks! It won't "get better" as it's just a part of me. I don't think there's a cure and no magic way of never having any symptoms at all. The best you do is find the best doctor you can, find the best medication that works for YOU, and stick with it. And if that's what it takes for me to be "normal" most of the time? So be it.

Sharon and Rick will agree:

I AM a tattooed dirtbag.
    I DO act normal and dress normal.
    I curse and am just as bad as regular guys
    I'm a typical male pig
    I can have fun with the best of them

In other words, most wouldn't notice. I CAN even be the life of the party, at least used to be. And my kookiness and craziness used to be fun, as in having fun, not truly crazy.

But then as I got older, something happened one day and I was depressed for no reason. No biggie. But then one day I had an anxiety attack for the first time. I COULDN'T even TALK. All I could do was breathe hard, and every now and again spit one word out. The adrenaline was going crazy. It felt like I was on a 200mph rollercoaster in my heart and head. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I had NO IDEA what was happening. My aunt sent my nephew over and he quickly took me to the hospital. Within 10 minutes of being there it started going away. By the time was in with the doctor, it was gone. He said that was normal, that I was in a safe setting and therefore felt safe. He explained it was likely anxiety set off by something. And that's where the fun started!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NT'sGirl View Post
    Sometimes it takes one to know one. ( most people assume I am normal until you get to know me )
    I saw it in you because I know it in me, and several of my family members.
    I am thankful every day that I have decided to not give a shit if you dont like me having a mental breakdown you can leave. I may be stuck in my own personal hell of a brain but you dont have to stay.

Also I found ways that work for me to keep the dragons at bay, without the drug therapy. People who are able to understand and support me are the keys to my life.

Trying to explain my version of anxiety and depression to anyone who has never had to deal with it on the daily is very frustrating for all parties involved in that convo..
    because I dont look like I have a problem.... because I can still smile and laugh and "act normal".

As I have told several friends and family who feel they are alone... NOT ONE person on this earth is perfect or normal! Every person has had to deal with depression and anxiety at some point. Some of us just have a lifetime pass on that bus. It helps when you are no longer afraid of it. It helps to let others know when it gets too heavy. Some days are great and you dont have to pretend to be a normal person because you just are, other days you have to fake it until you find your way out.

Love ya man
    I will always be there for you even on the darkest day.
    I will gladly share the burden with you or anyone else trying to find a way out of the dark labyrinth, as others have done for me.
    Thanks, Sharon! Or Thanks, woman!

I hate you dang strong women. Women are SO much stronger than men in handling illness and pain. My wife is the same. Sassy does great and now you. I need those crutches and would be deathly afraid to try anything else but.

I DO prefer the natural over Xanax as you know, I don't like that one. That's why my Doc is amazed I never went up in time due to usage, or lost them or whatever. Nah, I just know what they do and take them minimally. Plus they knock you senseless. I'd rather do things naturally if I can. But I don't mind the anti-depressant. And after YEARS of suffering at nights, I don't mind taking something that helps with those racing thoughts and inability to get REM sleep.

That's why I loved you guys so much, made me feel at home. No judgement. So much more comfy there than in the NY setting. I often get stuck in my brain and have nowhere to go. At least out there, I had you guys in a great setting, and then once we hit nature, and no one around, relaxation found me!

But yeah, I'm also one that DOES worry about what others think or say, and I think that may have lead to a bit of the agoraphobia type stuff and avoiding judgmental NY folks, and just stay home.

And yup, you were a happy go lucky type, and I saw NO signs of depression or anxiety in you. I don't know how much you would have saw in me if I didn't constantly make you guys aware. I sometimes worry about what others think, or what they may be seeing in me or whatever, so I talk about it and explain it, and sometimes too much. I honestly don't remember you telling my an awful lot. Maybe you didn't. Many deal with anxiety and depression and it's hard to tell unless we compare bags at medication time. I told you guys outright as I had to fill my planner for the week at your house. And I recall you bringing out the bag for you, or you and Rick. A lot of us are on meds. Quite often I feel like I'm the only one in the world dealing with this crap, and the only one taking medications to make things better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Thanks, Sharon! Or Thanks, woman!

I hate you dang strong women. Women are SO much stronger than men in handling illness and pain. My wife is the same. Sassy does great and now you. I need those crutches and would be deathly afraid to try anything else but.

I DO prefer the natural over Xanax as you know, I don't like that one. That's why my Doc is amazed I never went up in time due to usage, or lost them or whatever. Nah, I just know what they do and take them minimally. Plus they knock you senseless. I'd rather do things naturally if I can. But I don't mind the anti-depressant. And after YEARS of suffering at nights, I don't mind taking something that helps with those racing thoughts and inability to get REM sleep.

That's why I loved you guys so much, made me feel at home. No judgement. So much more comfy there than in the NY setting. I often get stuck in my brain and have nowhere to go. At least out there, I had you guys in a great setting, and then once we hit nature, and no one around, relaxation found me!

But yeah, I'm also one that DOES worry about what others think or say, and I think that may have lead to a bit of the agoraphobia type stuff and avoiding judgmental NY folks, and just stay home.

And yup, you were a happy go lucky type, and I saw NO signs of depression or anxiety in you. I don't know how much you would have saw in me if I didn't constantly make you guys aware. I sometimes worry about what others think, or what they may be seeing in me or whatever, so I talk about it and explain it, and sometimes too much. I honestly don't remember you telling my an awful lot. Maybe you didn't. Many deal with anxiety and depression and it's hard to tell unless we compare bags at medication time. I told you guys outright as I had to fill my planner for the week at your house. And I recall you bringing out the bag for you, or you and Rick. A lot of us are on meds. Quite often I feel like I'm the only one in the world dealing with this crap, and the only one taking medications to make things better.
    She's funny. This cracked me up:

I feel EXACTLY the same way at times
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    She's funny. This cracked me up:

I feel EXACTLY the same way at times
    Yup, as do I. But sometimes I fail at that and wonder what they feel or worry about it. But quite often I'm like "Don't like it? Adios!"

Sharon is absolutely hilarious! Rick is a smart bastard and pretty dang funny himself. Was such a blast chilling in a cabin and their home for over a week, twice no less! And they met me once, and actually invited me back. And then after twice, I'm invited now a 3rd time. So either them two are completely nuts, or they just don't mind that my head is strapped on to my shoulders - about as good as that reel of Rick's was attached to the pole he let me use to catch that king!! LOL If ya don't remember or know, when I hooked into my second fish there, and Rick is yelling the hell out of me to reel it in bring her ashore - the damn reel falls clear off the pole! So now I'm holding the reel up against the pole between 2 fingers and praying to the Gods to not only let me bring that sucker in, but to please let a bear not sneak up behind me and eat me while I had a salmon nearby!! A little unsettling when Rick brings guns, and has the "sniper" girl that was in the military stand point and protect us while we had fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

"Bipolar affective disorder, manic, severe degree, without mention of psychotic behavior"
    That's what is listed as my official diagnosis. At least what the Doc's handywoman wrote in the online place they have for records and communication. Have no idea why he has my manic crap list as severe? But glad I'm not a psycho either though!! LOL

I guess the manic is that pretty much anyone diagnosed with any bipolar automatically has it to an extent. It's a matter of what type of bioplar and how often all these events happen. My manic events or the "highs" come and go, and seems like the highs and lows last for almost an equal amount of time. But that even changes a little each time. Then add in me telling him I think about and dwell on thinking about things at night and being unable to fall asleep.

30 years ago this would simply have been described as "manic depression", as that's what it was long known as. Here's a bit about it for anyone giving a shit, takes 2 mins to read just what I copied, and you will officially know a little bit more about me. Exciting, ain't it? The bold I made because those things stood out about me. I could do this for days with my level of interest, but not many interested in bipolar/mania related things. -- and they say diagnosis between 15 to 24. Looking back, I see all the symptoms in me back then, and even much earlier. But I wasn't diagnosed until I was like 35 or so.

Also, I was never ever suicidal. Never needed near hospitalization. Never had hallucinations. Not that anything wrong with those folks, I guess just saying I am luckier than some still. Mine might be through family, as Mom was diagnosed with manic depression and was hospitalized way back in the early 80's.

-----------------------

Bipolar disorder was formerly called manic depression. It is a form of major affective disorder, or mood disorder, defined by manic or hypomanic episodes (changes from one's normal mood accompanied by high energy states). Bipolar disorder is a serious condition. Mania often involves sleeplessness, sometimes for days, along with hallucinations, psychosis, grandiose delusions, or paranoid rage. In addition, depressive episodes can be more devastating and harder to treat than in people who never have manias or hypomanias.

What Is Bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar disorder is a complex disorder that likely stems from a combination of genetic and non-genetic factors. The mood episodes associated with it involve clinical depression or mania (extreme elation and high energy) with periods of normal mood and energy in between episodes. The severity of mood episodes can range from very mild to extreme, and they can happen gradually or suddenly within a timeframe of days to weeks. When discrete mood episodes happen four or more times per year, the process is called rapid cycling. Rapid cycling should not be confused with very frequent moment-to-moment changes in mood, which can sometimes occur in people with bipolar disorder or other conditions such as borderline personality disorder.

What Causes Bipolar Disorder?

Like with other mood disorders, the causes of bipolar disorder are not known. What is known is that bipolar disorder involves dysregulation of brain functioning and sometimes has a genetic component (it can run in families).

At What Age Is Bipolar Disorder Usually Diagnosed?

Bipolar disorder usually appears between ages 15 and 24 and persists through a lifetime. It's rare that newly diagnosed mania is seen in young children or in adults over age 65.

Severity of symptoms varies with individuals who have bipolar disorder. While some people have a few symptoms, others have many that impair their ability to work and live a normal life.

Marked by relapses and remissions, bipolar disorder has a high rate of recurrence if untreated. Patients with severe mania usually require hospitalization to keep them from risky behaviors. Those who are severely depressed also might need hospitalization to keep them from acting on suicidal thoughts or psychotic symptoms (delusions, hallucinations, disorganized thinking).

About 90% of individuals with bipolar I disorder, which is the more serious form, have at least one psychiatric hospitalization. Two out of three will have two or more hospitalizations in their lifetime.

Like with other mood disorders, the causes of bipolar disorder are not known. What is known is that bipolar disorder involves dysregulation of brain functioning and sometimes has a genetic component (it can run in families).

Along with manic or depressive episodes, patients with bipolar disorder may have disturbances in thinking. They may also have distortions of perception and impairment in social functioning.

Rest - https://www.webmd.com/depression/gui...c-depression#1