Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default British poll projects landslide for Boris Johnson

This looks to be VERY interesting!! And great for the UK!!

--

Boris Johnson on course for 68-seat majority in UK election

The same poll accurately predicted that Theresa May would lose her majority in 2017.

LONDON — Boris Johnson is on course to win a 68-seat majority in the U.K. general election, according to a major new poll.

The YouGov seat prediction survey — which accurately predicted that Theresa May would lose her majority in 2017 — said the Tories would win 359 seats (up 42) with Labour dropping to 211 (down 51) if the election were held tomorrow.

The prediction will hand a boost to the Conservative campaign, and suggests the prime minister will have enough MPs to ensure Britain will leave the EU on January 31.

It serves a blow to the Labour party, suggesting the Tories will snatch 44 seats, including in some in its northern heartlands.

According to the poll, the Lib Dems would win 13 seats (up one), the SNP would win 43 (up 8), and Plaid Cymru and the Green Party would keep their four seats and one seat respectively.

However, some commentators warn that predictions of a Tory victory could in themselves impact the result because Conservative voters may be less inclined to turnout if they think the party is on course for a clear victory.

The so-called MRP poll — Multilevel Regression and Post-stratification — was done by interviewing 100,000 people and feeding the results through a demographic analysis.

https://www.politico.eu/article/youg...n-uk-election/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Drummond, NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Sounds good. Now we'll have to wait for Drummond to tell us what it means
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Sounds good. Now we'll have to wait for Drummond to tell us what it means
    I think it means, in short, that even in the UK they are tiring of all the lefty bullshit.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond, NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I think it means, in short, that even in the UK they are tiring of all the lefty bullshit.
    Yeah, but I want him to explain who these parties are and who're the good guys and who're the bad guys. I gather Conservatives are the good guys. I have no idea what a Tory is, nor what the difference between a Lib-Dem and Labour is. I gather the Green is the same there as here.

And where they stand in relationship to one another, and who will help who.

Other than that, not much
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

A great thought !

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, it's not. The election campaign has had twists and turns to it, each designed to fight for the political 'moral ground' ... this is proving to be an especially hard-fought campaign on all sides .. and within a toxic environment worse than any I've ever experienced.

I'll explain further in answer to Gunny's questions ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Yeah, but I want him to explain who these parties are and who're the good guys and who're the bad guys. I gather Conservatives are the good guys. I have no idea what a Tory is, nor what the difference between a Lib-Dem and Labour is. I gather the Green is the same there as here.

And where they stand in relationship to one another, and who will help who.

Other than that, not much
    OK ... I've already drafted one reply to this, to find that this site won't post it !! I'll try this again, though in shortened form. I only have so much patience, I'm afraid.

Here are our main Parties (the main contenders, anyway) ...

• CONSERVATIVES
    • LABOUR
    • LIBDEM
    • BREXIT
    • UKIP
    • SNP

The Conservatives are - broadly - our version of your Republican Party (only with the 'Godfearing' element entirely absent. Declaring yourself as a Godfearing politician over here is a good way of killing off your political career). You'd think of them, maybe, as very soft Left (though more Right wing, now, under Boris's leadership).

Labour are our mainstream Leftists. They're far to the Left of even your Democratic Party, as their current wholesale re-nationalisation of industry programme amply proves ...

LibDems (formerly our Liberal Party) are a 'halfway house' between the Conservatives and Labour. Currently they're the most mainsteam anti-Brexit Party there is.

Brexit Party ... the polar opposite of the LibDems. They feel that the Conservative Brexit deal is too pro-EU, but, they recognise that it represents the most realistic way of achieving Brexit. So, they're not fielding election candidates in any constituency where the Conservatives won last time around, to ensure no vote-splitting occurs. They're hotly contesting all others.

UKIP ... the original pro-Brexit Party. These days .. a shadow of its former self, after its founder, Nigel Farage, noted that it was attracting 'fringe' personalities. Nigel broke with it, created his own Party in opposition, early THIS year. They achieved stunning successes in the MEP election a few months ago.

SNP (Scottish Nationalist) ... basically, a form of Labour Party (though not Labour, but a separate Party), but based in Scotland. They're firmly in charge there, so much so that this coming election will be little more than a formality for them. They're Nationalist, fiercely so, and they're utterly determined to separate from the UK as soon as possible.

Gunny, you mention the Greens. Yes, they're pro-'Green' in their beliefs, fiercely pro-environmentalist. A more minor Party here. But on Brexit, in so far as they have a position, they agree with the LibDems. Where vote-splitting is possible, they're tending to stand down rather than field an opposing candidate where the LibDems might win out.

Who are the good guys ? Well, if you're pro-Conservative, voting Conservative is what you'd do. Some might vote for the Brexit Party ... however, the Brexit Party having decided not to oppose the Conservatives where the Conservatives are strong, does much to solve that dilemma.

Labour. They're far to the Left of your Democratic Party, as their plans for wholesale re-nationalisation of businesses proves (a re-run of the Sixties). They were against a Brexit Referendum being held. They ratified Article 50, the means by which the Brexit process began, but have stymied its progress ever since. Labour say - INSIST - that Brexit can only happen if we have a deal in place with the EU, but oppose any on offer.

Its leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has been a friend to terrorists in the past; Hamas and the IRA are clear examples. Corbyn is on record as saying he'd never use our nuclear deterrent under ANY circumstances. He wants wholesale nationalisation of industry, and wants fibre broadband connections to be entirely under Government control. He is a bitter (some might say 'rabid') opposer of Donald Trump.

The LibDems are pledged to reverse Brexit in any way they can. No ifs or buts. No compromises on that. Their entire focus is Brexit's reversal.

Brexit, UKIP ... these speak for themselves. Both pro-Brexit. UKIP is now a minor Party, with the Brexit Party having effectively overtaken them.

The SNP ... in a situation where Labour could win our election, but with no overall majority, they'd become Labour's enablers ... offering support ... but ONLY if Labour grant them a Referendum to quit the UK. If they gain their independence, and if the UK was out of the EU itself, it's the SNP's policy for Scotland to rejoin the EU.

Who are the Tories ... well, 'Tories' is the old name for the Conservatives (.. basically). Hundreds of years ago, our two main Parties were the Whigs and the Tories.

Those who still use the term 'Tory' usually do so as opposers of the Conservatives, as 'Tory' also has its derogatory meaning. They mean to demean Conservatives when they use it.

'Tory' earns its derogatory meaning, from ...

https://www.theirishstory.com/2019/0.../#.Xd_Bz-j7TIU

Tory is the Anglicisation of the Irish word toiraidh, literally ‘pursued men’ or more figuratively ‘men on the run’. Particularly in 17th century Ireland, it referred to bandits or outlaws, often those driven from their lands by the Plantations that accompanied the Tudor and Stuart conquest of Ireland.

In the early 1600s, the more common name for Irish bandits in English was ‘wood kerne'– derived from the traditional Gaelic soldiers known as ceathern or ‘kern’. But by mid century, during the Confederate and Cromwellian wars, the term ‘tory’ had become more widespread for irregular fighters or bandits.
    A few people use the name 'Tory' without knowing its negative meaning. Most, however, do use it because they enjoy disparaging Conservatives when they do.
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-28-2019 at 09:07 AM.

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    OK ... I've already drafted one reply to this, to find that this site won't post it !! I'll try this again, though in shortened form. I only have so much patience, I'm afraid.

Here are our main Parties (the main contenders, anyway) ...

• CONSERVATIVES
    • LABOUR
    • LIBDEM
    • BREXIT
    • UKIP
    • SNP

The Conservatives are - broadly - our version of your Republican Party (only with the 'Godfearing' element entirely absent. Declaring yourself as a Godfearing politician over here is a good way of killing off your political career). You'd think of them, maybe, as very soft Left (though more Right wing, now, under Boris's leadership).

Labour are our mainstream Leftists. They're far to the Left of even your Democratic Party, as their current wholesale re-nationalisation of industry programme amply proves ...

LibDems (formerly our Liberal Party) are a 'halfway house' between the Conservatives and Labour. Currently they're the most mainsteam anti-Brexit Party there is.

Brexit Party ... the polar opposite of the LibDems. They feel that the Conservative Brexit deal is too pro-EU, but, they recognise that it represents the most realistic way of achieving Brexit. So, they're not fielding election candidates in any constituency where the Conservatives won last time around, to ensure no vote-splitting occurs. They're hotly contesting all others.

UKIP ... the original pro-Brexit Party. These days .. a shadow of its former self, after its founder, Nigel Farage, noted that it was attracting 'fringe' personalities. Nigel broke with it, created his own Party in opposition, early THIS year. They achieved stunning successes in the MEP election a few months ago.

SNP (Scottish Nationalist) ... basically, a form of Labour Party (though not Labour, but a separate Party), but based in Scotland. They're firmly in charge there, so much so that this coming election will be little more than a formality for them. They're Nationalist, fiercely so, and they're utterly determined to separate from the UK as soon as possible.

Gunny, you mention the Greens. Yes, they're pro-'Green' in their beliefs, fiercely pro-environmentalist. A more minor Party here. But on Brexit, in so far as they have a position, they agree with the LibDems. Where vote-splitting is possible, they're tending to stand down rather than field an opposing candidate where the LibDems might win out.

Who are the good guys ? Well, if you're pro-Conservative, voting Conservative is what you'd do. Some might vote for the Brexit Party ... however, the Brexit Party having decided not to oppose the Conservatives where the Conservatives are strong, does much to solve that dilemma.

Labour. They're far to the Left of your Democratic Party, as their plans for wholesale re-nationalisation of businesses proves (a re-run of the Sixties). They were against a Brexit Referendum being held. They ratified Article 50, the means by which the Brexit process began, but have stymied its progress ever since. Labour say - INSIST - that Brexit can only happen if we have a deal in place with the EU, but oppose any on offer.

Its leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has been a friend to terrorists in the past; Hamas and the IRA are clear examples. Corbyn is on record as saying he'd never use our nuclear deterrent under ANY circumstances. He wants wholesale nationalisation of industry, and wants fibre broadband connections to be entirely under Government control. He is a bitter (some might say 'rabid') opposer of Donald Trump.

The LibDems are pledged to reverse Brexit in any way they can. No ifs or buts. No compromises on that. Their entire focus is Brexit's reversal.

Brexit, UKIP ... these speak for themselves. Both pro-Brexit. UKIP is now a minor Party, with the Brexit Party having effectively overtaken them.

The SNP ... in a situation where Labour could win our election, but with no overall majority, they'd become Labour's enablers ... offering support ... but ONLY if Labour grant them a Referendum to quit the UK. If they gain their independence, and if the UK was out of the EU itself, it's the SNP's policy for Scotland to rejoin the EU.

Who are the Tories ... well, 'Tories' is the old name for the Conservatives (.. basically). Hundreds of years ago, our two main Parties were the Whigs and the Tories.

Those who still use the term 'Tory' usually do so as opposers of the Conservatives, as 'Tory' also has its derogatory meaning. They mean to demean Conservatives when they use it.

'Tory' earns its derogatory meaning, from ...

https://www.theirishstory.com/2019/0.../#.Xd_Bz-j7TIU

A few people use the name 'Tory' without knowing its negative meaning. Most, however, do use it because they enjoy disparaging Conservatives when they do.
    A "Tory" in the US, were Crown Loyalists/sympathizers during the American Revolutionary War.

I did not know it had a negative connotation in the UK. I thought it was just another political party. Tories in the UK as a political entity sound like those here who call themselves "conservative"; yet, their hatred for Donald Trump causes them to sit idly by and watch the Dems win.

Why is it again the Lib/Dems aren't Labour? They consider themselves the "moderate" liberals?

I don't get the SNP. Then again, my ancestry is Scot, and I've never gotten them. They spend WAY to much time screwing themselves. So the SNP wants to break with the UK only to subjugate itself to a weak, effeminate EU. Brilliant And I guarantee you its the politicians in the Lowlands that are all for that crap. That's without looking so you can correct me if I'm wrong.

What a mess. Appreciate the class. .

14. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

A "Tory" in the US, were Crown Loyalists/sympathizers during the American Revolutionary War.

I did not know it had a negative connotation in the UK. I thought it was just another political party. Tories in the UK as a political entity sound like those here who call themselves "conservative"; yet, their hatred for Donald Trump causes them to sit idly by and watch the Dems win.

Why is it again the Lib/Dems aren't Labour? They consider themselves the "moderate" liberals?

I don't get the SNP. Then again, my ancestry is Scot, and I've never gotten them. They spend WAY to much time screwing themselves. So the SNP wants to break with the UK only to subjugate itself to a weak, effeminate EU. Brilliant And I guarantee you its the politicians in the Lowlands that are all for that crap. That's without looking so you can correct me if I'm wrong.

What a mess. Appreciate the class. .
    On your 'Why is it the Lib/Dems aren't Labour' question ... well, they just aren't. They have always been separate Parties. I'm wondering if you're thinking of the American usage of 'liberal', which identifies them with the Left ? Remember: we don't make that association here. Liberal / Leftist is an association that's American rather than British.

I think I'm right in saying that our LibDems (re-named from the 'Liberal Party') are the modern-day version of our old Whig Party, going back a number of centuries ... THEY were the old-time opposition to what passed here as our Conservatives of those days. Labour are a far more modern Party, and they first came into being out of the old Trade Union movement that formed in the late nineteenth century. Track back to the origins of Communism, and those of Labour ... though the dates don't quite coincide, they do trace their origins to a similar period.

The SNP are Socialist, but are a particularly fanatical incarnation of them, with their energies centred around winning their so-called 'independence' from the UK. Just a couple of years ago, they had a Referendum on quitting the UK, saying then as part of their hype that the Referendum was a 'once in a generation' opportunity to separate from the UK. They lost their Referendum, but lost no time in preparing to have another go at winning it. The 'once in a generation' promise is now a joke: obviously, they'll just keep fighting until the Scottish people vote the 'right' way.

Labour, should they win the upcoming election, are in no hurry to grant them another Referendum. Why would they be, when a united UK gives them greater power ... and not least because, if they won the SNP's backing in a minority Government, they'd be losing their input were the Referendum to say 'yes' to Independence ! Nicola Sturgeon, the SNP's leader, said just days ago that Labour HAD to grant them their Referendum in return for support. This defies Corbyn's declaration that any decision on holding one would be deferred for at least two years.

I don't understand why the SNP want Scotland to ally itself with the EU, but they do feel strongly about it. Still, maybe this'll help ...

https://hienalouca.com/2019/06/12/ni...r-in-brussels/

Nicola Sturgeon was seen hugging Jean-Claude Juncker as she claimed that Scotland is ‘increasingly’ on a separate path to the rest of the UK.

The First Minister said her country will ‘always be’ a European nation while on a visit to Brussels, where she embraced the European Commission President and declared that Scotland identified with values of ‘internationalism, solidarity and co-operation’.

And with the SNP leader also pushing for a second vote on independence, Ms Sturgeon said she hoped Scotland’s separate stance was being ‘acknowledged and welcomed’ in Europe.

Scots voted to stay part of the EU in the 2016 referendum, putting the country at odds with the UK as a whole.

The First Minister said her country will ‘always be’ a European nation while on a visit to Brussels, where she embraced the European Commission President and declared that Scotland identified with values of ‘internationalism, solidarity and co-operation’

And in the recent European elections, the SNP – which fought a strong anti-Brexit campaign – increased its share of the vote and won three of the six Scottish MEPs.

That contrasted with results south of the border, where Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party took most seats.

Ms Sturgeon said that in the ‘battle of ideas which is confronting many European countries’, Scotland and its people had ‘consistently supported ideals of internationalism, European solidarity and co-operation'.

She told how Scotland and the rest of the UK are ‘increasingly’ on different political paths.

And addressing the European Policy Centre think tank in Brussels, she said: ‘The basic values of the EU are ones we identify with. We like the idea of independent nation states co-operating for the common good.’
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-28-2019 at 12:51 PM.

16. Thanks Gunny, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    On your 'Why is it the Lib/Dems aren't Labour' question ... well, they just aren't. They have always been separate Parties. I'm wondering if you're thinking of the American usage of 'liberal', which identifies them with the Left ? Remember: we don't make that association here. Liberal / Leftist is an association that's American rather than British.

I think I'm right in saying that our LibDems (re-named from the 'Liberal Party') are the modern-day version of our old Whig Party, going back a number of centuries ... THEY were the old-time opposition to what passed here as our Conservatives of those days. Labour are a far more modern Party, and they first came into being out of the old Trade Union movement that formed in the late nineteenth century. Track back to the origins of Communism, and those of Labour ... though the dates don't quite coincide, they do trace their origins to a similar period.

The SNP are Socialist, but are a particularly fanatical incarnation of them, with their energies centred around winning their so-called 'independence' from the UK. Just a couple of years ago, they had a Referendum on quitting the UK, saying then as part of their hype that the Referendum was a 'once in a generation' opportunity to separate from the UK. They lost their Referendum, but lost no time in preparing to have another go at winning it. The 'once in a generation' promise is now a joke: obviously, they'll just keep fighting until the Scottish people vote the 'right' way.

Labour, should they win the upcoming election, are in no hurry to grant them another Referendum. Why would they be, when a united UK gives them greater power ... and not least because, if they won the SNP's backing in a minority Government, they'd be losing their input were the Referendum to say 'yes' to Independence ! Nicola Sturgeon, the SNP's leader, said just days ago that Labour HAD to grant them their Referendum in return for support. This defies Corbyn's declaration that any decision on holding one would be deferred for at least two years.

I don't understand why the SNP want Scotland to ally itself with the EU, but they do feel strongly about it. Still, maybe this'll help ...

https://hienalouca.com/2019/06/12/ni...r-in-brussels/
    Our Republican Party replaced the Whigs here which led to the US Civil War with Lincoln's election. At the time, the Republicans were the progressives and the Democrats the conservatives. They've completely reversed roles over the years while jockeying for votes.

So will the LibDems vote with the Conservatives? You mentioned them not contesting strongly held conservative seats. Does that leave the Tories as a swing vote? (either way)

As far as Scotland goes, doesn't make sense to me that a Nation that prides itself on its fierce independence is willing to give it away so easily. Might have to change my last name

18. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Our Republican Party replaced the Whigs here which led to the US Civil War with Lincoln's election. At the time, the Republicans were the progressives and the Democrats the conservatives. They've completely reversed roles over the years while jockeying for votes.

So will the LibDems vote with the Conservatives? You mentioned them not contesting strongly held conservative seats. Does that leave the Tories as a swing vote? (either way)

As far as Scotland goes, doesn't make sense to me that a Nation that prides itself on its fierce independence is willing to give it away so easily. Might have to change my last name
    The role reversal between Republicans and Democrats is news to me ! First time I've heard anything about it. You learn a little something every day ....

You're confusing the British LibDems with the Brexit Party. Yes, OK, the LibDems went into coalition with the Conservatives during the first post Gordon Brown Labour Government, at the beginning of this decade. But an enormous amount has happened since then ! These days, the LibDems and the Conservatives are as opposed to each other as I've ever seen them to be. Jo Swinson, the current LibDem leader, is forthright to say the least: she publicly declares that Boris Johnson is completely unfit to be our Prime Minister.

Their positions on Brexit are complete opposites of each other. Boris wants Brexit concluded, with us leaving the EU, ASAP. Jo Swinson will see Brexit completely reversed if she can possibly arrange it. Boris respects the 2016 Referendum result. Jo wants to disregard it totally and without hesitation or regret.

Nigel Farage, head of the Brexit Party, DID take the view that Boris needed to be opposed, because, according to him, the latest EU-UK deal falls short of a complete break with Europe. He's rethought that, though, and now, is refusing to contest constituencies where the Conservatives won them at the last election. This he's doing because he thinks split voting of Brexiteers between his Party and the Conservatives would see Labour win many of those seats.

The SNP's position in Scotland is schizophrenic. They're fanatical about getting independence, but equally as fanatical about being 'good Europeans'. They somehow remain blind to the reality that every day of EU membership sees member States become that little tiny bit less independent as a stand-alone Nation State than the previous day. Why ? Because the EU passes legislation in the European Parliament, and according to treaty, member States are obliged to incorporate it all within their own systems of law.

One thing I'd be curious about is whether Scotland would have to abandon their 'own' currency. I think they would. They run too small an economy to persist with a 'rival, non-UK Pound Sterling'. No, I think they'd be forced to be propped up as an integral part of the Euro.

Last I heard, the EU were insisting that all new Members MUST adopt the Euro as a part of membership itself. Scotland is highly likely to be dragged out of the EU and then forced to reapply for membership. In which case ... they'll not even have the independence of running their own currency, but be at the perpetual mercy of the Euro's relative health.

The smaller the member State ... the greater the impact peaks and troughs will have when the Euro rises or falls in value.
    Last edited by Drummond; 11-28-2019 at 09:00 PM.

20. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Soon, we'll know:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/el...t-tory-victory
    "The Election Is Boris Johnson's To Lose" - Pound Hits 7-Month High As Traders Bet On Tory Victory
    by Tyler Durden
    Wed, 12/04/2019 - 05:47

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is riding high on Wednesday following a meeting with President Trump, one of his closest political allies.
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

Enjoyed my meeting with Prime Minister @BorisJohnson of the United Kingdom at @10DowningStreet last night. Talked about numerous subjects including @NATO and Trade.

With UK election polls showing the Tories with a sizable lead over Labour, an analyst at UBS quipped that the UK snap election is now "Boris Johnson's to lose," according to the FT.

Though many of Johnson's political opponents have spent the last couple of weeks complaining about the corrupting influence of 'YouGov', which many claim is biased in favor of the Tories, it appears that the Conservatives' lead is being reflected across polling companies.
    A YouGov poll released last night showed both the Tories and Labour down one point at 42% and 33%, though it wasn't the only poll to show a sizable conservative lead.

Freddie Scovell Esq.@FreddieScovell

Replying to @DTofNinianPark @afneil

Not just me old fruit...
    Current Tory Lead by Pollster:

Opinium: +15
    DeltaPoll: +13
    Kantar: +11
    Survation: +11
    ComRes: +10
    YouGov: +9
    Panelbase: +8
    ICM: +7
    BMG: +6

Polls from 23rd November or later only.
    3:04 AM - Dec 4, 2019 · South East, England

See Freddie Scovell Esq.'s other Tweets

These numbers drove cable to its highest level since May, with Neil Jones, the head of FX sales at Mizuho Bank, attributing the move to traders' cutting back their sterling short positions and hedges as a Tory victory looks increasingly likely.
    In a continuation of its gains from Tuesday's session, the pound broke above $1.30 Wednesday morning.

According to Bloomberg and the FT, investors see a decisive conservative majority as the best possible outcome for the snap vote on Dec. 12 because it would enable Johnson to push his Brexit deal through Parliament before the January deadline, allowing the UK to finally begin is split from the EU. To be sure, after the deadline, the negotiations over the substance of a future UK-EU trading relationship will begin, which is where some see problems. Many analysts suspect that Johnson's pledge not to extend the Brexit transition period beyond the end of next year has already set up the UK for another round of gridlock and last-minute extensions.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

22. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    There's still a week to go before election day. As they say over here (& over there, too ?) .. 'A week is a long time in politics'.

So it is. Anything can happen in the next week. We've already had a rollercoaster of a ride over this election ... anything can happen, any day. Such as, the attempt by Labour to claim that our NHS was going to be sold off to American interests .. a potential vote-killer.

In any case, we would be foolish to rely on poll results. Theresa May DID, in 2017, and called an election .. believing she was all set to get an increased majority of MP's for her Party once it had been held. In fact, what slim majority she had was slashed.

In 1992, every poll predicted a Labour victory. In fact, Labour didn't next win one until 1997.

So, no. None of us can take anything for granted until after the election happens. Even then, if it's a 'hung Paliament', days or weeks longer might be needed before we know who's won what !

24. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post