Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    The Cold War is dead, long live the neo version.

In the long run, your assessment of Turkish power is correct, which will not stop the issues they currently thrust upon the real politic today.

Powers are shifting and realigning, it’s been happening for over a decade.

Fighting the last war-9/11 won’t do.
    The "Cold War" was just another name for a state of perpetual culture war that has existed since forever. I don't know what they call "now", but it probably is inaccurate.

We have been preparing for the last war since the first war we fought. We've gotten out asses kicked at the beginning of each one. Takes us about 2 years to industrialize. I can't even see that happening nor support for a war like WWII. Look at the two ragheads in Congress now. Open sympathizers with radical Islam.

On top of that, you want them to think NOW instead of reacting when they get slammed in the butt. Not asking for much, are you?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Russia and China regarding both Iran and No. Korea have been at this quite awhile, it's not new. Iran becoming something of a player, rather than just a pawn is still up for grabs. Turkey has clout for Russia at the least-both as NATO member and regarding its military.
    Iran may well end up as Trump's win or not.

However, this is beyond troubling with 'friends' and 'great guys' like these:

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-sha...s-north-korea/

Here We Go. China, Russia Look To Lifting Sanctions On North Korea
    JAZZ SHAWPosted at 9:21 am on December 17, 2019

While most everyone in America is obsessing over the impeachment follies, the situation on the Korean peninsula has gone from bad to worse, at least in terms of the goals of the United States and the west. Russia and China have prepared a UN resolution that would lift many sanctions on North Korea. The stated goal is to “enhance the livelihood of the civilian population.” But as admirable as such a goal might be, it would effectively take the handcuffs off of Kim Jong-un, leaving America and her allies nothing to go on but Kim’s promises to be a better actor on the world stage. And history has shown us repeatedly what his promises are worth. (Reuters)

China and Russia proposed a draft U.N. Security Council resolution on Monday, seen by Reuters, that would terminate some sanctions on North Korea “with the intent of enhancing the livelihood of the civilian population.”

The draft also welcomes “the continuation of the dialogue between the United States and the DPRK at all levels, aimed at establishing new US-DPRK relations, building mutual confidence and joining efforts to build a lasting and stable peace on the Korean Peninsula in a staged and synchronized manner.”

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Depends on how you want to look at it, I guess. Minus the billowing smoke, Erdogan appears to be painting himself into a corner by his own hand. He's putting himself in a position to have to choose a side.

I myself think he needs to be tested for dementia.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Depends on how you want to look at it, I guess. Minus the billowing smoke, Erdogan appears to be painting himself into a corner by his own hand. He's putting himself in a position to have to choose a side.

I myself think he needs to be tested for dementia.
    I think you meant to say needs to be lined up against a wall and be summarily executed.

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I think you meant to say needs to be lined up against a wall and be summarily executed.
    That would depend. We know it ain't Abraham Lincoln waiting in the wings to take over. I've heard it said it is rather unhealthy around Erdogan to wield too much power/influence or be too popular.

Sound like Saddam Hussein and Iraq? I'd have to see who or what is going to seize power in the event of his sudden and who gives a sh*t demise. There are a lot of different factions in Turkey, simply for it's location on the map. Without that central, alleged "secular" power and the army backing it, it might be better off leaving him where he is.

Trump doesn't really have to say much of anything. I'd tell Turkey either his missile system specifically designed to target NATO/UN forces perceived or real vulnerabilities had to go of he did. Then I would tell the weak-kneed sisters in NATO they either vote Turkey out of the club or I go.

No way it happens that way, but I like it and it's simple enough