Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default America Remembers Dec. 7, 1941 On The 78th Anniversary Of Pearl Harbor Raid

OAN Newsroom
    UPDATED 11:12 AM PT — Saturday, December 7, 2019

Saturday marked the 78th anniversary of the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, which claimed the lives of thousands of American service members. Japanese planes attacked the Hawaiian naval base shortly before 8:00 a.m. on December 7, 1941, taking the whole country by surprise. It’s considered one of the most important moments in U.S. history and marked a significant turning point in American military strategy.
    More than 2,400 Americans were killed, including sailors, marines, soldiers and civilians. Nearly 20 naval vessels, including eight battleships, were either damaged or destroyed.

The day after the attack, President Franklin Roosevelt asked Congress to declare a state of war, which lead to one of the most memorable speeches made by a president in American history.
    “Yesterday, December 7, 1941 — a date which will live in infamy — the United States Of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan,” stated the 32nd U.S. President.
    The move would carry the U.S. into WWII and military offensives against Japan and Germany.

It’s not clear how many Pearl Harbor survivors remain in total, but three survivors of the doomed USS Arizona are still with us. One survivor, Lou Conter, was a Quartermaster 3rd Class aboard the Arizona on the day of the attack and helped with firefighting and rescue efforts. The 98-year-old California resident attended a remembrance ceremony on Tuesday in Hawaii.
    “I always come out to pay respect for the 2,403 men that were killed that day, including 1,177 of my shipmates on the Arizona,” said Conter.
    Survivors of the Arizona have been buried with the ship over the years. NPR reported sailor Lauren Bruner will be the last. Bruner was the second to last person to get off the Arizona alive. He died in September at the age of 98 and will be returned to his ship on Saturday.
    https://www.oann.com/america-remembe...l-harbor-raid/

I'd be willing to bet most Americans don't remember what date December 7, 1942 falls on, much less the significance.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    https://www.oann.com/america-remembe...l-harbor-raid/

I'd be willing to bet most Americans don't remember what date December 7, 1942 falls on, much less the significance.
    I do.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I do.
    Of course. I was referring to the "brother is racist" types. Sort of set the stage for my sarcastic ire for the day with that crap.

I'm quite sure everyone on this board remembers. How many of us are under 50 years of age? A couple?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I remember
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post