Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Ups - wtf?

I knew I should have purchased from Amazon using my prime account and quick shipping, but Noooooooo, had to save a few bucks and buy direct from Ring - but I did get 2 day air shipment.

So they shipped out my 2 orders on the morning of the 5th. The 7th was a Saturday. According to the UPS website, they DO deliver such packages on Saturdays. Cool. Not cool though as they never arrived. And I know they ain't delivering to my ass on Sunday. Ok, whatever, I'll get them on Monday. Nope. So last night I check the tracking for both packages and they show arrival for the 10th. WTF? WHY?

So here it is today and still no packages. One of them shows it's last update as leaving NEW YORK CITY at 6:01am today, but still says will arrive by 10pm. Dunno, because usually my packages will state they are out for delivery from the Bronx, our closest UPS. I would imagine the shipment from NYC was to go to the Bronx, then out.

Now the other turned into a "DELAY". And the last update states "We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay"

What does that mean I wonder? So I search Google and come up with basically that it was sent to a wrong location. But where it doesn't state. I'll have to wait for it to arrive wherever they wrongly sent it to - and then wait for that location to send it back to NYC or to the Bronx. So now I don't know if tomorrow or longer.

Good thing I added in so much extra money for the quick shipping!! And the order isn't cheap, nearly $400!! Eff UPS and Eff Ring!!

And why Ring? Because they sent me an email the MORNING of the 5th telling me my order shipped. But according to the tracking of both packages, neither actually shipped until the 6th, so lying to me, and then delaying my shipment. When they sent the email that claims it was shipped already with a tracking number - turns out that just meant that they created the label with the number - but they still needed UPS to pick it up or for them to bring the packages to UPS.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I knew I should have purchased from Amazon using my prime account and quick shipping, but Noooooooo, had to save a few bucks and buy direct from Ring - but I did get 2 day air shipment.

So they shipped out my 2 orders on the morning of the 5th. The 7th was a Saturday. According to the UPS website, they DO deliver such packages on Saturdays. Cool. Not cool though as they never arrived. And I know they ain't delivering to my ass on Sunday. Ok, whatever, I'll get them on Monday. Nope. So last night I check the tracking for both packages and they show arrival for the 10th. WTF? WHY?

So here it is today and still no packages. One of them shows it's last update as leaving NEW YORK CITY at 6:01am today, but still says will arrive by 10pm. Dunno, because usually my packages will state they are out for delivery from the Bronx, our closest UPS. I would imagine the shipment from NYC was to go to the Bronx, then out.

Now the other turned into a "DELAY". And the last update states "We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay"

What does that mean I wonder? So I search Google and come up with basically that it was sent to a wrong location. But where it doesn't state. I'll have to wait for it to arrive wherever they wrongly sent it to - and then wait for that location to send it back to NYC or to the Bronx. So now I don't know if tomorrow or longer.

Good thing I added in so much extra money for the quick shipping!! And the order isn't cheap, nearly $400!! Eff UPS and Eff Ring!!

And why Ring? Because they sent me an email the MORNING of the 5th telling me my order shipped. But according to the tracking of both packages, neither actually shipped until the 6th, so lying to me, and then delaying my shipment. When they sent the email that claims it was shipped already with a tracking number - turns out that just meant that they created the label with the number - but they still needed UPS to pick it up or for them to bring the packages to UPS.
    What on Earth are you buying from Ring that costs that kinda money?

We're in the process of placing cameras all over our entire property due to someone stealing cattle from us last month, and didn't spend much more than that on cameras to cover the entire fence line (though quite a bit more than that on the server and related equipment to manage and store all the video the cameras will record.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    What on Earth are you buying from Ring that costs that kinda money?

We're in the process of placing cameras all over our entire property due to someone stealing cattle from us last month, and didn't spend much more than that on cameras to cover the entire fence line (though quite a bit more than that on the server and related equipment to manage and store all the video the cameras will record.
    It started out simply with the ring Hub thingy and 2 front pathlights. After using awhile I was impressed, so then I tried 2 spotlights, small buggers I chose, but good enough for the side entry of our house in the back, and I put the other in the shitty lighted garage. Of course everything is motion activated, or you can turn that off, or use schedules. Then it was the Ring doorbell camera was the last one. I love that thing and also very impressed!! It can alert you to motion, day or night, and of course let u know instantly when someone rings your doorbell. And the time from them pressing the button to me having them onscreen is SO quick. But it's best for using when I am upstairs, or waiting on a package that may never be coming! LOL But I see the mailman walking up the path and that's when the doorbell picks it up. Same with anyone coming towards the home. It's great for all of that and for protection.

Got a few more of the mini-spotlights and a dual spotlight, battery powered & motion activated, which can give you alerts if you want. 2 more pathlights for the backyard new pathway, and an outdoor camera for monitoring the entire side of the home and back. I have the perfect place to place it out of sight - and the camera will see both angles.

Basically, I'm a sucker for new technology - so go look at Ring's page and look at the prices. Some are very reasonable!! But some are a little pricey. You know I couldn't help but lean into at least one of those. After all, it's easily explainable to the wife, and she agrees with added security and remote access and monitoring!!

Hell, I even got 3 little sensor lights I'm gonna place on my stairs coming here upstairs. Battery powered and motion activated and will last quite some time before charging needed. Walk up and you have lights automatically, and you can control when they turn off - for me it will be 30 seconds after turning on.

Some are awesome!! And yea, I may be a sucker with a few, but they're still very useful, or going to be!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I think a lot of deliveries are behind this year. At least, that’s what my 4,000 member Moms group is saying. I think it’s because so many more people than ever are online shopping.

Btw, can you set up a Ring camera device if you don’t have a doorbell?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I think a lot of deliveries are behind this year. At least, that’s what my 4,000 member Moms group is saying. I think it’s because so many more people than ever are online shopping.

Btw, can you set up a Ring camera device if you don’t have a doorbell?
    Yes!! I started with just 2 lights in our front walkway, and a necessary "bridge". They had a special and it was like $80 bucks I think for 2 lights and the bridge. The bridge is needed to talk to all of your ring devices, but you only need one. Then any device you buy will attach to it, and allow you to control them remotely from their app. Good stuff when it arrives!

NOW - both my packages changed and expected delivery of tomorrow.

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

What the hell... Amazon owns Ring...

I don't know Jim... I won't bring any of that crap in to my house. It's bad enough the surveillance power and potential in our cell phones...

You know why no one talks about Orwell's 1984 and "Big Brother" anymore? Because so many have happily brought it through their front doors...

Apple, Google, Amazon... thanks but no thanks, I can set my thermostat and turn on my lights and electronics all by myself thankyouverymuch...
    Last edited by hjmick; 12-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

8. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Gunny, SassyLady, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

I don't know Jim... I won't bring any of that crap in to my house. It's bad enough the surveillance power and potential in our cell phones...

You know why no one talks about Orwell's 1984 and "Big Brother" anymore? Because so many have happily brought it through their front doors...

Apple, Google, Amazon... thanks but no thanks, I can set my thermostat and turn on my lights and electronics all by myself thankyouverymuch...
    I always take that stuff into account, but to an extent. For example, I won't be using a camera to monitor inside the home areas, as that "may" be problematic. Video will be of front walkway and rear and side entry ways. Nothing personal really. So if they wanna monitor what I see out my doorbell, or how often I bring my dog outside, so be it. And with the automated lights, same thing really. My phone is still 10x worse than all of the ring stuff collectively!!

A lot of folks get the pan Cams and stick them all around inside the homes, and that's much different. Folks are now IN the home and usually audio included. Not for me. Fun for testing, but out they go.

So all in all it's automated lighting and outdoors entry ways. And 3 tiny steplights inside, of which no cam or audio, simply and only tony lights. Motion lights and security cameras have been around forever. Now, it's the introduction of the internet & online storage and what not. I'm aware of such things so try to protect myself as I go along, to avoid any privacy issues.

BUT - if someone just willy nilly starts placing 9 indoor cams and such, and connect it to the internet and store all the records there - you're almost asking to be hacked or watched!! So placement and knowledge are huge! And not just disabling certain things as well, but knowing how to TRULY disable things!

10. Likes hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post

Yep, reminds me of the show Person of Interest where John remarks to Finch that the social media sites are a boon to law enforcement as people are pretty much willingly giving the FBI open access to their lives and Finch responds "I know , why do you think I invented them?"

By the way to anyone who hasn't watched PofI, GREAT show.

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Yep, reminds me of the show Person of Interest where John remarks to Finch that the social media sites are a boon to law enforcement as people are pretty much willingly giving the FBI open access to their lives and Finch responds "I know , why do you think I invented them?"

I agree- very good show. And I had a bit of a woman-crush on her:

Attached Images Attached Images
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

14. Likes jimnyc, hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Oh yeah, awesome show!! Finch is great, I love him. I love the whole technical aspect of things too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

17. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Another great reason to live in the country. My nearest neighbor is my parents, and we do not have a direct line of sight from house to house. It's a 5 minute drive in a car to get from home to home. My in laws live on the other side even further from me and then my grandparent's homestead that I inherited and have an aunt living in is 2 miles the other side of their house and then my rental house that my farm hand lives on is clear on the other side of the property.

I just don't know how city dwellers do it.

19. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Another great reason to live in the country. My nearest neighbor is my parents, and we do not have a direct line of sight from house to house. It's a 5 minute drive in a car to get from home to home. My in laws live on the other side even further from me and then my grandparent's homestead that I inherited and have an aunt living in is 2 miles the other side of their house and then my rental house that my farm hand lives on is clear on the other side of the property.

I just don't know how city dwellers do it.
    I recall in the late 80s-earlyv90s when they proclaimed how great wiring a part of downtown Philly with cctv. I said then it was a matter of time. Look where we are now.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Btw... UPS? They're the old, delapidated jalopy of mail delivery nowadays. Their trucks look and run like it too.

I don't know if they've been around since Christ was a Cpl, but they'been around since Gunny was
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

22. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Which is why NONE of mine go that route!

You can choose various plans to have videos automatically uploaded to their cloud, for a rolling 60 day storage. I almost did it, but chose against as I figured if I could view it - so can they!

But I still have the option in the app to view the neighborhood activity, and it is cool to see what's going on and from whom and where. Lots of Foxes cruising my area!! Not a lot of crime though. But a LOT less chance right there off the bat if you don't upload to begin with.

24. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post