Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default General election 2019: Let the healing begin, urges PM after poll win

Boris Johnson has said he hopes his party's "extraordinary" election win will bring "closure" to the Brexit debate and "let the healing begin".
    Speaking in Downing Street, he said he would seek to repay the trust placed in him by Labour supporters who had voted Conservative for the first time.
    He said he would not ignore those who opposed Brexit as he builds with Europe a partnership "of sovereign equals".
    The Tories have won a Commons majority of 80, the party's largest since 1987.
    It means the UK is heading out of the EU at the end of next month, the BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg said, with Mr Johnson's "thumping" majority allowing him to get the laws required through Parliament "in a matter of weeks".
    The Conservatives' victory in the 650th and final contest of the election - the seat of St Ives, in Cornwall - took their total number of MPs up to 365. Labour finished on 203, the SNP 48, Liberal Democrats 11 and the DUP eight.

Sinn Fein has seven MPs, Plaid Cymru four and Northern Ireland's SDLP has two. The Green Party and NI's Alliance Party have one each.
    The Brexit Party - which triumphed in the summer's European Parliament elections - failed to win any Westminster seats.
    The Conservatives swept aside Labour in its traditional heartlands in the Midlands and the north of England and picked up seats across Wales, while holding off the Lib Dem challenge in many seats in the south of England.
    Voter turnout overall, on a cold and damp polling day, was 67.3%, which is down by 1.5% on the 2017 total.
    'Break from wrangling'

Speaking outside No 10, Mr Johnson thanked lifelong Labour supporters who deserted Jeremy Corbyn's party and turned to the Conservatives, saying he would fulfil his pledge to take the UK out of the EU on 31 January.
    "I say thank you for the trust you have placed in us and in me and we will work round the clock to repay your trust and to deliver on your priorities with a Parliament that works for you".

Mr Johnson, who earlier accepted the Queen's invitation to form a government, also addressed those who did not vote for the Conservatives and still want to remain in the EU.
    "We in this One Nation Conservative government will never ignore your good and positive feelings of warmth and sympathy towards the other nations of Europe," he said.
    Mr Johnson's focus on the one nation pitch suggests he will seek to offer policies to people beyond the Tory heartlands - more public spending, for example, after years of austerity, the BBC's political correspondent Nick Eardley said.
    He added that there is no strict definition of one nation conservatism, "but broadly, it refers to the idea the Conservative Party should act for everybody in the UK. That means policies that work for people from different economic backgrounds, from different regions and from the different nations of the UK."
    When they return to Westminster next week, MPs are due to begin the process of considering legislation paving the way for the UK to leave on 31 January. Talks about a future trade and security relationship will begin almost immediately.
    Nevertheless, Mr Johnson said the UK "deserves a break from wrangling, a break from politics and a permanent break from talking about Brexit". "I urge everyone to find closure and to let the healing begin."

He said he would use his new-found parliamentary authority to bring the country together and "level up" opportunities, while he said he recognised that the NHS remained the "overwhelming priority" of the British people.
    The BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the PM's appeal for unity marked a striking change in tone to when he first became prime minister in July.

At 33%, Labour's share of the vote is down around eight points on the 2017 general election and is lower than that achieved by former leader Neil Kinnock in 1992.
    Mr Corbyn has said he will not fight another election as Labour leader and that he expects to stand down "early next year" when a successor has been chosen by the party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50786580

Let's just hope the "healing" doesn't include a GWB v Carson act
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50786580

Let's just hope the "healing" doesn't include a GWB v Carson act
    I suspect this is Boris trying for a Churchillian moment. He's said to think of himself as having attributes similar to Winston Churchill.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

4. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I suspect this is Boris trying for a Churchillian moment. He's said to think of himself as having attributes similar to Winston Churchill.
    I wish someone would appear to be Churchill-like, even Churchill light would be good.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I wish someone would appear to be Churchill-like, even Churchill light would be good.
    In the fullness of time, Boris will not disappoint you, I think. He'll also chuck in a few gags for good measure ...

8. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

In the fullness of time, Boris will not disappoint you, I think. He'll also chuck in a few gags for good measure ...
    Churchill was like the proverbial Old West gunfighter they'd bring in to tame a town. He was the first person the town got rid of once he had ridden the town of all the bad elements.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Churchill was like the proverbial Old West gunfighter they'd bring in to tame a town. He was the first person the town got rid of once he had ridden the town of all the bad elements.
    Yes, indeed.

Churchill's treatment after WWII was absolutely disgusting. I don't know what more I can say on that one.

12. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Yes, indeed.

Churchill's treatment after WWII was absolutely disgusting. I don't know what more I can say on that one.
    I read his biography once. I mean a real book. It's one of those old people things my grandkids stare in amazement at

He indeed was treated poorly considering he was the only voice of hope for Europe prior to USSR and USA entry into the war that both countries believe only began with them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default Post-election Corbyn interview

Jeremy Corbyn has been interviewed on the subject of his election disaster. In the interview, he fails to take responsibility for it ... & thinks he had too rough a ride from the media.

I'm always amazed to observe the immense capacity Lefties have for self-denial. On the plus side, if Labour fails to learn the lessons it needs to learn, it'll become permanently unelectable. [... No bad thing .. !!!]

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4313156.html

Jeremy Corbyn has refused to accept responsibility for Labour's failure in the general election and insisted Brexit and the media were to blame.

The Islington North MP told journalists he had "done everything he could" to lead the party to a win, adding that Labour membership had more than doubled since he ascended to the top position.

Shortly after the landslide victory for the Conservative Party , Mr Corbyn announced he would not lead Labour into another election.

Speaking from his constituency on Friday, he said he will be stepping down has the head of the party in the "very near future".

Mr Corbyn said: “This election was ultimately taken over by Brexit and we as a party represent people who voted both Remain and Leave.

“My whole strategy was to reach out beyond the Brexit divide to try and bring people together, because ultimately the country has to come together.”

Asked what went wrong with his campaign, the veteran MP said: "Those is Leave areas in some numbers voted for Brexit or Conservative candidates which meant that we lost a number of seats and we didn't make the gains we hoped we could've done, particularly in the Midlands and the North."
    He correctly analyses much of the process which led to his Party's catastrophic lack of support this time around. But understanding, and learning necessary lessons ... these don't gel in Corbyn's dogma-entrenched mind.

My link above carries a video of Corbyn's interview with Sky News (I've not found a way to post it as a video on its own here). Use the link ... see Corbyn's 'righteous' self-denial of simple truths ...
    As for a video I can post ... this is an interesting one .. courtesy of Sky News, Australia .. no punches pulled. I enjoy her comments !

This one, too ... recorded just over a week before the election, with a senior Corbyn aide being tackled by an irate Welsh voter ...

Labour weren't listening, then. From Corbyn's attitude, I get that they still won't listen.

Fools.
    Last edited by Drummond; 12-15-2019 at 08:09 PM.

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

The second one had me laughing. Hard-headed much?

17. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Last edited by Kathianne; 12-20-2019 at 12:31 PM.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

19. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Yep ... I was watching as all of this happened. Interestingly -- the voting figures showed that a handful of Labour MP's sided with the Government, despite Corbyn's Labour Party being under orders, from him, to vote against these Brexit bills.

Not only are Labour now reduced to a voting irrelevance, as they now have far fewer MP's than they need to make a difference, but those that ARE there can't be relied upon to show Party unity any more.

The Electorate Has Spoken. Labour have been comprehensively walloped for defying the Referendum result, and through it, the Will of the People. But still, Corbyn (though subdued) still bleats on about how HE 'won the arguments' ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-conservatives

Jeremy Corbyn was accused of being in denial yesterday after issuing a Labour recruitment video in which he says his manifesto had been “popular”. He claimed to “have won the arguments” and “inspired millions to engage in politics”.
    Ah, well. Boris is triumphant and now able to properly govern: Parliament is now back to being a healthy, fully-functional political entity. Corbyn and some of his colleagues are retreating into a self-manufactured escapist fugue, with their former vandalism in the Commons completely neutralised, and Corbyn - judging by his latest forlorn appearances - looking like he might've recently been chewing on wasps ...

Happy days .. in the UK, at least.

Merry Christmas, Kathianne.
    Last edited by Drummond; 12-20-2019 at 08:03 PM.

21. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Just found this anti-Labour website ! Looks like fun ...

https://www.binlabour.com/

As if Corbyn hadn't suffered enough already, there were raised eyebrows on Friday when it emerged that six Labour MPs had voted in favour of Boris Johnson's Withdrawal Agreement. This came despite an insidious purge of pro-Leave MPs and candidates over the course of the last year. All but one MP who backed Leave in 2016 now remains in the Parliamentary Labour Party (Graham Stringer). The others were purged by way of various means - either suspended (Kelvin Hopkins), deselected (Roger Godsiff) or driven out (Frank Field, Kate Hoey). Those who backed Remain initially, but had since backed Leave faced similar pressures. Caroline Flint survived the purge, but she did not survive the election.

So, who were the rebels that defied the Labour whips on Friday?

Sarah Champion (Rotherham - 68% Leave)
    Rosie Cooper (West Lancashire - 55% Leave)
    Jon Cruddas (Dagenham & Rainham - 70% Leave)
    Emma Lewell-Buck (South Shields - 62% Leave)
    Grahame Morris (Easington - 66% Leave)
    Toby Perkins (Chesterfield - 59% Leave)

The Leader of the Opposition has clearly not got over his election defeat and was in a foul and discourteous mood yesterday. Leaving his house he ignored a reporter's questions and slammed his car door, very nearly taking out the guy's microphone. He followed this up by sulking all the way through the opening of Parliament and completely blanked Boris Johnson as the pair walked to the House of Lords.

Fresh from reportedly berating her party leader last night in a 20 minute tirade, defeated Wakefield MP Mary Creagh took her grievances to the airwaves. Creagh lashed out at Corbyn in multiple interviews, blaming him for the election disaster and failing to take responsible for it. Come again? Talk about someone failing to take responsibility Mary - how about looking a bit closer to home? You've spent the last three and a half years trying to overturn the 63% Leave vote in your own constituency. You also accuse Corbyn of 'narcissism'. How's this for narcissism - campaigning for a second referendum to overturn the first and then going into an election thinking that your Leave voting constituents would meekly return you as their MP?
    Last edited by Drummond; 12-20-2019 at 08:21 PM.

23. Thanks Gunny thanked this post