Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Do you think this may be a case of stolen valor?

'Stolen Valor' is when someone represents themselves as a veteran in order to obtain money or goods and services. When I joined here, I mentioned in my introduction about a matter of stolen valor, as follows. I saw a post on a web forum, some things didn't add up for me. And I've seen stolen valor personally. I've also seen real disabled veterans use it to get free stuff like televisions, which technically isn't stolen valor but I don't think it's right.

First, I'm asking that nobody dox the alleged here, since the link has enough information to find him via Google; I quickly found his name, address, phone number, and social media. And I didn't call him, I've severe social anxiety, so he may really be a homeless veteran. There's even a possibility that a hoax has been perpetrated against him.

At the link, after some irate chatter from me, I tried to reach out to him, asked him some questions and made an appeal to help, to which he didn't respond. Had he responded I'd have called, but cold calling, no. Also, in his social media are some indications he's in fact depressed, but nothing to indicate he's a veteran or homeless. Although his social media hasn't been updated in a couple of months, which may be an indication of problems in his life. Now the amount of money we're talking about here isn't great. And after a couple of days he's not come back, perhaps he got scared off if he's in fact a scammer, or something terrible happened to him.

So here's the link, I'm there as 'Service Disabled Veteran'. If you've any thoughts on this matter please share.

LINK WAS DELETED BY ADMIN
    Last edited by Hot Dogger; 12-16-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Dogger View Post
    'Stolen Valor' is when someone represents themselves as a veteran in order to obtain money or goods and services. When I joined here, I mentioned in my introduction about a matter of stolen valor, as follows. I saw a post on a web forum, some things didn't add up for me. And I've seen stolen valor personally. I've also seen real disabled veterans use it to get free stuff like televisions, which technically isn't stolen valor but I don't think it's right.

First, I'm asking that nobody dox the alleged here, since the link has enough information to find him via Google; I quickly found his name, address, phone number, and social media. And I didn't call him, I've severe social anxiety, so he may really be a homeless veteran. There's even a possibility that a hoax has been perpetrated against him.

At the link, after some irate chatter from me, I tried to reach out to him, asked him some questions and made an appeal to help, to which he didn't respond. Had he responded I'd have called, but cold calling, no. Also, in his social media are some indications he's in fact depressed, but nothing to indicate he's a veteran or homeless. Although his social media hasn't been updated in a couple of months, which may be an indication of problems in his life. Now the amount of money we're talking about here isn't great. And after a couple of days he's not come back, perhaps he got scared off if he's in fact a scammer, or something terrible happened to him.

So here's the link, I'm there as 'Service Disabled Veteran'. If you've any thoughts on this matter please share.
    Sorry, but I deleted your link. Not fond of linking either way between forums as it never ends well, and folks like to leech in both directions. Then I read that thread and saw the admin was upset that someone was linking to the board and that thread. I don't really blame him/her. Just for precaution!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

3. Likes Hot Dogger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Free for discussion, just no links.

I will say this, I did read the thread in question and it all did seem a little sketchy. No way I send money to someone registered as anonymous who avoids the direct questions.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Likes Hot Dogger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Sorry, but I deleted your link. Not fond of linking either way between forums as it never ends well, and folks like to leech in both directions. Then I read that thread and saw the admin was upset that someone was linking to the board and that thread. I don't really blame him/her. Just for precaution!
    I didn't see the admin thing you mentioned, but their admin mentioned this website? Okay, I understand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I didn't see the admin thing you mentioned, but their admin mentioned this website? Okay, I understand.
    Oh, I don't know for sure, I just assumed when whoever it was posted about someone linking back to the thread with a name or whatever - that usually only an owner has access to those records.

8. Likes Hot Dogger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Oh, I don't know for sure, I just assumed when whoever it was posted about someone linking back to the thread with a name or whatever - that usually only an owner has access to those records.
    If the admin post you mentioned was at the end of the thread it was taken down, probably after you removed the link here, because I see no mention of such a thing.

Anyway, I'd hoped the guy would respond to my questions or at least ask me to give him a a call. I figure if a guy's not too embarrassed to make a thread like that, he's not too embarrassed to ask for help. So when he avoids that I figure he's not being truthful, he's just trolling for donations.

I've seen a lot of internet threads where people give a SOB story and say "No thanks, I don't want your money" but in the next post they're giving out their PayPal info. And I think they often have fellow grifters egging things on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

If the admin post you mentioned was at the end of the thread it was taken down, probably after you removed the link here, because I see no mention of such a thing.

Anyway, I'd hoped the guy would respond to my questions or at least ask me to give him a a call. I figure if a guy's not too embarrassed to make a thread like that, he's not too embarrassed to ask for help. So when he avoids that I figure he's not being truthful, he's just trolling for donations.

I've seen a lot of internet threads where people give a SOB story and say "No thanks, I don't want your money" but in the next post they're giving out their PayPal info. And I think they often have fellow grifters egging things on.
    It didn't say admin, I just assuned:

you never really know what to expect here....
    Some shill is spamming the board with name and number from this thread.
    I hope the OP contacts you.....
    Now that I re-read it, it could be in reference to another member - I read it originally as back end stuff, but now that I reread it..... That's what happens when I read things in the late afternoon, when my coffee and sugar high is now a hangover!

The paypal/venmo, refusal to answer questions, the "home", then hinting at needing more money. It didn't ring well in my book and I wouldn't send a nickel without some better confirmation. But I don't think I would ride someone too hard either. But the money thing makes me nervous.