Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
How long would UNfrozen meat last on a ship with more than 5000 people onboard, at sea for more than six months. Or between UREPS (Underway replenishments) where store ships, and tankers transfer new supplies of FROZEN FOOD (meats) to other ships.

Navy cooks, Army cooks, Coast Guard cooks, and Marine cooks have no reason to worry about the food they serve to the troops. EVEN COOKS HAVE TO EAT.
I once asked the cooks and mess sergeant why they don't thaw the meat in the refrigerator before cooking, they said it was a safety issue. I realize now also the logistics. Now I spent most my time at a small post, the chow hall might have served 100 people a meal, less than that many times. But on a large post or ship, they'd have to thaw out thousands of pieces of meat then cook it, cook it or else it's going to spoil.

The Air Force ate best, they'd the best food, best selection. The last time I ate at a chow hall was as a civilian doing contract work at Great Lakes Naval Hospital, it was pretty good, and they had good coffee.