Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    If they want to break from Royal life, it’s pretty hypocritical to use that very royal life to earn your money. Sorry, I just cannot respect their “eat your cake and have it too” attitude. If you’re going to walk away, really ​walk away.
    In fact, the point of today's little 'summit' talks was to work out precisely the extent of if, or how, they WILL walk away. Nobody, before the discussion, had determined how that would play out.

I'd suggest that the decision is the Royal Family's to decide, and not for outsiders to judge.

Part of the sympathy I have for Harry and Meghan comes from just how little of their lives they've called their own. OK, you could argue that Meghan made her choice (.. though, did she fully understand what it was she was taking on ?). Harry, by contrast, up to now, has been saddled with duties, many of which that he only has because of the circumstances of his birth.

Harry can now make his own life .. actually be master of his own fate, for the first time.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    In fact, the point of today's little 'summit' talks was to work out precisely the extent of if, or how, they WILL walk away. Nobody, before the discussion, had determined how that would play out.

I'd suggest that the decision is the Royal Family's to decide, and not for outsiders to judge.

Part of the sympathy I have for Harry and Meghan comes from just how little of their lives they've called their own. OK, you could argue that Meghan made her choice (.. though, did she fully understand what it was she was taking on ?). Harry, by contrast, up to now, has been saddled with duties, many of which that he only has because of the circumstances of his birth.

Harry can now make his own life .. actually be master of his own fate, for the first time.
    Who gets to decide, and who gets to judge, are two very different things. Live a public life, little ‘ol me gets to judge your behavior. And no one can tell me I cannot.

As I’ve said, walk away, ok, it’s your life. Be Wallace Simpson II, if you will. But don’t try to have it both ways and expect us to not notice and judge you negatively for it.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Who gets to decide, and who gets to judge, are two very different things. Live a public life, little ‘ol me gets to judge your behavior. And no one can tell me I cannot.

As I’ve said, walk away, ok, it’s your life. Be Wallace Simpson II, if you will. But don’t try to have it both ways and expect us to not notice and judge you negatively for it.
    I thought that the whole point was for them to lead a far less public life ? In which case, do they not proportionately deserve less of such negative judgment ?

Anyway ... the news we have is that the Queen is sympathetic to the couple, and she wants to help them attain their goal(s).

If the Queen can approve, if she can be sympathetic to their situation and can seek an equitable outcome, does she herself deserve negativity from any of us as a result ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I thought that the whole point was for them to lead a far less public life ? In which case, do they not proportionately deserve less of such negative judgment ?

Anyway ... the news we have is that the Queen is sympathetic to the couple, and she wants to help them attain their goal(s).

If the Queen can approve, if she can be sympathetic to their situation and can seek an equitable outcome, does she herself deserve negativity from any of us as a result ?
    No, she is the “decider”, and it’s up to her how to handle them.

Whether or or not they lead a private life (I highly doubt they will, but we’ll see), the judgment is based on actions thus far. As it should be.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I think Monarchies are an archaic idea anyway. The days of Kings and Queens seems very odd in this day and age. To be pampered and rich exceeding the vast majority of people on earth just because you were born... "royal." What a deal. I don't get why people still subscribe to such a setup.

I give Harry and Megan a lot of credit for wanting to walk away from it and make their own way, but for God's sake, they should get "advice" from someone OTHER than the filthy OBAMA'S.

I know you've expressed support for the royal family before, brother Drummond, and I do believe that had I been born in the UK, I might have a different opinion of a "royal family" myself... IDK. But us Americans pretty much have been brought up to believe that if you gain wealth, it should be done by your own toil, not just given to you because you were born, and then to be supported for generations for doing virtually nothing.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-15-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I think Monarchies are an archaic idea anyway. The days of Kings and Queens seems very odd in this day and age. To be pampered and rich exceeding the vast majority of people on earth just because you were born... "royal." What a deal. I don't get why people still subscribe to such a setup.

I give Harry and Megan a lot of credit for wanting to walk away from it and make their own way, but for God's sake, they should get "advice" from someone OTHER than the filthy OBAMA'S.

I know you've expressed support for the royal family before, brother Drummond, and I do believe that had I been born in the UK, I might have a different opinion of a "royal family" myself... IDK. But us Americans pretty much have been brought up to believe that if you gain wealth, it should be done by your own toil, not just given to you because you were born, and then to be supported for generations for doing virtually nothing.
    I think we agree .. I've got nothing at all against the path Harry and Meghan have chosen for themselves. They clearly want to get by from their own efforts / own revenue-creating plans /own money they already have, rather than continue to have the British taxpayer fund them, as is true for the Royal Family generally.

Can't help but agree on the Obamas. Then again, though .. and as Obama observed in an interview .. he gets a lot of favourable regard from overseas, and Harry was no doubt swayed from how our media treated him. Presumably Meghan reinforces those beliefs, if she's typical of the Californian crowd.