Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Iran Claims It Arrested Source of Damning Ukrainian Plane Video

Figures, Iran is more concerned with going after folks that may have helped others know what happened. And my guess - they lie about arrests and trials and what not so that they don't have to hold the proper people accountable.

--

Iran Claims It Arrested Source of Damning Ukrainian Plane Video

Iranian officials claimed on Wednesday that they had arrested a person believed to have taken video footage of the final moments of Ukrainian International Airlines (UIA) Flight 752, which appeared to show it aflame before crashing.

The video challenged Iran’s initial explanation for the plane crashing shortly after departing Tehran’s international airport – mechanical failure – particularly compared to the speculation Iran ultimately admitted to, that the Iranian military used a surface-to-air missile to shoot it out of the sky. The sky is largely dark, with a small speck in the distance that appears to be the plane. A projectile clearly hits the speck that creates an explosion, giving the impression that a missile or other weapon targeted it. The video appeared online before Iran admitted to shooting down the plane and after an Iranian “preliminary report” had blamed a spontaneous engine fire for the deaths.

The civilian airliner was flying to Kyiv last week when, shortly after takeoff, it appeared to catch fire and ultimately crashed, killing 172 people on board. Most of the victims were Iranian, Canadian, and Ukrainian citizens. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has demanded financial compensation from Iran for the killings.

The BBC cited Iranian media on Tuesday reporting that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), a U.S.-designated terrorist organization, had arrested a person for posting a video taken of the flight burning in air. Fox News corroborated the report, stating that Iranian outlets expected the imprisoned person to face “national security” charges for allegedly filming the video.

Internet security activist Nariman Gharib initially posted the video online.

Gharib told Canada’s CBC broadcaster on Wednesday that he had received threats for publishing the video. He also insisted that his source had not been arrested and that he had confirmed the source’s freedom Wednesday morning, after reports of the arrest surfaced. He left open the possibility that Iranian authorities arrested the wrong person for sharing the video.

“The person who is the source of the video is SAFE and I can assure you IRGC is orchestrating another lie,” Gharib said on Twitter. He also urged Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to intervene on behalf of the person arrested, if anyone, and have them released.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/middle-eas...n-plane-video/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Drummond, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Figures, Iran is more concerned with going after folks that may have helped others know what happened. And my guess - they lie about arrests and trials and what not so that they don't have to hold the proper people accountable.

--

Iran Claims It Arrested Source of Damning Ukrainian Plane Video

Iranian officials claimed on Wednesday that they had arrested a person believed to have taken video footage of the final moments of Ukrainian International Airlines (UIA) Flight 752, which appeared to show it aflame before crashing.

The video challenged Iran’s initial explanation for the plane crashing shortly after departing Tehran’s international airport – mechanical failure – particularly compared to the speculation Iran ultimately admitted to, that the Iranian military used a surface-to-air missile to shoot it out of the sky. The sky is largely dark, with a small speck in the distance that appears to be the plane. A projectile clearly hits the speck that creates an explosion, giving the impression that a missile or other weapon targeted it. The video appeared online before Iran admitted to shooting down the plane and after an Iranian “preliminary report” had blamed a spontaneous engine fire for the deaths.

The civilian airliner was flying to Kyiv last week when, shortly after takeoff, it appeared to catch fire and ultimately crashed, killing 172 people on board. Most of the victims were Iranian, Canadian, and Ukrainian citizens. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has demanded financial compensation from Iran for the killings.

The BBC cited Iranian media on Tuesday reporting that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), a U.S.-designated terrorist organization, had arrested a person for posting a video taken of the flight burning in air. Fox News corroborated the report, stating that Iranian outlets expected the imprisoned person to face “national security” charges for allegedly filming the video.

Internet security activist Nariman Gharib initially posted the video online.

Gharib told Canada’s CBC broadcaster on Wednesday that he had received threats for publishing the video. He also insisted that his source had not been arrested and that he had confirmed the source’s freedom Wednesday morning, after reports of the arrest surfaced. He left open the possibility that Iranian authorities arrested the wrong person for sharing the video.

“The person who is the source of the video is SAFE and I can assure you IRGC is orchestrating another lie,” Gharib said on Twitter. He also urged Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to intervene on behalf of the person arrested, if anyone, and have them released.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/middle-eas...n-plane-video/
    From what I can see, the BBC no longer has a report on this at all (though, it DID do; I spotted it when it first appeared). I've searched their website referencing Gharib's name, and a choice of words referring to the downed plane video, and found nothing ... and although the domestic BBC TV channels in the UK carry a 'Red Button' text service anyone here can activate for news and information, the news report that DID appear there, no longer does. No trace at all of that entry, now ...

Is this the BBC characteristically bending to its perception of 'PC imperatives' it thinks it has a need to observe ?
    Last edited by Drummond; 01-16-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    From what I can see, the BBC no longer has a report on this at all (though, it DID do; I spotted it when it first appeared). I've searched their website referencing Gharib's name, and a choice of words referring to the downed plane video, and found nothing ... and although the domestic BBC TV channels in the UK carry a 'Red Button' text service anyone here can activate for news and information, the news report that DID appear there, no longer does. No trace at all of that entry, now ...

Is this the BBC characteristically bending to its perception of 'PC imperatives' it thinks it has a need to observe ?
    Sounds like some inconvenient truths on Google and/or Wikipedia. I got some fair and impartial info from there at times that no longer exists. The one that sticks out is the fact that we sold Saddam Hussein dual-use equipment during the Iran-Iraq War and the CIA taught his chemists how to refine the mustard gas he didn't have that he was using.

I went back to quote it after we invaded Iraq and Lo and Behold! Gone.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post