Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default McConnell backs off, abruptly eases impeachment trial limits

I'm tired of the republicans always letting up, rigid usually with the rules and don't barely play the amount of games doing their jobs as the left does. Not even close. Look at this whole process, and the behavior of quite a many on the left. Literally obsessed with this and seemingly not doing jack shit otherwise.

The republicans, at times, should meet fire with fire. But nope.

The dems literally play games and break the rules in the house. Some complaints but ultimately no rules or rights restored. The republicans wanted certain witnesses and they were outright denied. They were supposed to have their own day for testimony and what not, and were denied that right. NOW, with even the breath of not calling certain witnesses, the left is crying foul. The republicans want to call Biden and son & that too they bitched and moaned about. Unfortunately for them, they aren't in charge this time. But those with the majority, too many of them anyway, don't seem to have much of a backbone.

--

McConnell backs off, abruptly eases impeachment trial limits

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell abruptly backed off some of his proposed rules for President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial on Tuesday, easing plans for a tight two-day schedule and agreeing that House evidence will be included. He acted after protests from senators, including fellow Republicans.

The trial quickly burst into a partisan fight at the Capitol as the president's lawyers opened arguments in support of McConnell's plan. Democrats objected loudly to his initial rules, and some Republicans then made their concerns known in private at a GOP lunch.

Without comment, the Republican leader submitted an amended proposal after meeting behind closed doors with his senators as the trial opened. The handwritten changes would add an extra day for each side's opening arguments and stipulate that evidence from the Democratic House's impeachment hearings be included in the record.

There is still deep disagreement about calling additional witnesses.

“It’s time to start with this trial,” said White House Counsel Pat Cipollone, the president's lead lawyer in brief remarks as the proceedings opened in public.

Chief Justice John Roberts gaveled open the session, senators having taken an oath last week to do “impartial justice" as jurors. House prosecutors were on one side, Trump's team on the other, in the well of the Senate, as senators sat silent at their desks, no cellphones or other electronics allowed.

Senators were stunned by McConnell's shift, which came during the private lunch and briefly delayed the start of the historic session.

A spokeswoman for Republican Sen. Susan Collins said that she and others had raised concerns. The Maine senator sees the changes as significant improvements, said spokeswoman Annie Clark.

Collins, Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio and a substantial number of other Republicans from across the party's ideological spectrum wanted to make the changes, according to two people familiar with the matter but unauthorized to discuss it in public. Some argued that the two-day limitation would have helped Democrats cast Republicans as squeezing testimony through in the dead of night.

The turnaround was a swift lesson as White House's wishes run into the reality of the Senate. The White House wanted a session crammed into a shorter period to both expedite the trial and shift more of the proceedings into late night, according to a person familiar with the matter but unauthorized to discuss it in public.

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/news/impeachme...052118187.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

McConnell’s job is to keep the Rs from switching over on more important issues, like keeping Bolton in closed doors or from testifying at all.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    McConnell’s job is to keep the Rs from switching over on more important issues, like keeping Bolton in closed doors or from testifying at all.
    Oh, no doubt, I agree. And it was after some lunch meeting with others that he changed his mind on some of this, obviously giving in to others worries/concerns.

And I should have started off with - and that's the right thing to do, and I take zero issue with doing the right thing or being honest. I think Mitch fits that role a hell of a lot better than Schiff. The dishonesty and shenanigans they played in the house truly pissed me off. I just hope that the republicans don't allow the democrats to win in any way for their games. And hopefully they don't allow their way to be a weakness.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I don’t know if the Republicans will keep their tradition of following the rules, but so far it seems the people recognize the traditional take and are giving credit. Not too much the shaking it up here seems called for.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Rumor has it that McConnell backed off this at the request of Collins. Honestly, 12 hour days is a pretty punishing pace when you're forced to listen to wind bags.

It was reasonable to back it off to 8-hour days, IMO.

BTW - I'm watching this on Fox, and every time I hear Donna Brazile speak I lose 4 IQ points. I'm still baffled as to why anyone wants to hear from her.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I would be a Grade A dumbass to watch this crap. It pisses me off to no end that it's even being tolerated by ANYONE, much less happening.

I got Bob the Train
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I would be a Grade A dumbass to watch this crap. It pisses me off to no end that it's even being tolerated by ANYONE, much less happening.

I got Bob the Train
    I am with you 100% on this. I will not watch any of it. As the entire thing was a witch hunt/sham and now the dems have gotten away with it...
    That the dems will never be punished for this , pisses me off to a totally unbelievable level.
    Several of them should be brought up on charges for this farce! This treasonous attempt to overthrow the results of a previous Presidential election.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I value my sanity and acceptable blood pressure too much to watch this.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

12. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Switching from 2 days to 3 was no big deal and was done to give Susan Collins some cover so she can go home and say "yes I voted against witnesses, but no i did not cave to anyone look I"m the one who convinced McConnell to switch from 2 days to 3 "

Because at this point this is no longer an attempt to remove Trump from office. Democrats realize that will not happen. Instead this impeachment trial is about attacking 4 Republican Senators who Democrats feel are vulnerable in 2020. They are going to use every dirty trick they can to get them out of office in their quest to retake the Senate. Because they KNOW they aren't going to beat Trump in 2020, so their hope is keep the house, take the Senate and impeach and remove Trump in 2021.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

I got Bob the Train

I'd take Donna Brazille over Juan Williams every time, they're both dishonest, but he's rude and dishonest.