Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Trying Grocery Pick-Up

I did my meal plans and went through and picked what I needed. Considered what I use so often: Greek yogurt, OJ, etc. Pick up is 11-12. I'll see how much time it saves, but pretty sure I'm saving money-IF I don't have to run to the store for things I forgot.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I did my meal plans and went through and picked what I needed. Considered what I use so often: Greek yogurt, OJ, etc. Pick up is 11-12. I'll see how much time it saves, but pretty sure I'm saving money-IF I don't have to run to the store for things I forgot.

My sister in law buys all their groceries this way now. She loves it.

Myself, I like to pick out my vegetables and such personally.

But then again, I'm retired and have the time, she works full time as does my brother and they have two children under 10.

We have a new grocery store in our local town, finally , so don't buy many groceries at Wal Mart anyway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    My sister in law buys all their groceries this way now. She loves it.

Myself, I like to pick out my vegetables and such personally.

But then again, I'm retired and have the time, she works full time as does my brother and they have two children under 10.

We have a new grocery store in our local town, finally , so don't buy many groceries at Wal Mart anyway.
    I'm actually doing this from Fry's, which is a Kroger grocery. While I tend to go into retail stores with a goal and get out, I tend to find myself buying weird things in the grocery. I go in for a few things, come out with socks and t-shirts. Bad.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I'm actually doing this from Fry's, which is a Kroger grocery. While I tend to go into retail stores with a goal and get out, I tend to find myself buying weird things in the grocery. I go in for a few things, come out with socks and t-shirts. Bad.
    That’s me in a drug store.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

LOL I go in with a list and come out with well everything. I'm terrible. I'll buy mustard every time I go into the store. I think have like 8 yellow mustards in my pantry right now LOL

so for that kind of stuff ordering online would be best for me , cuz i could look and say "no don't need to buy mustard this decade" LOL but then I'd just order my groceries online and go to the store for "just a few things" and come home with another mustard anyway LOL

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

LOL I go in with a list and come out with well everything. I'm terrible. I'll buy mustard every time I go into the store. I think have like 8 yellow mustards in my pantry right now LOL

so for that kind of stuff ordering online would be best for me , cuz i could look and say "no don't need to buy mustard this decade" LOL but then I'd just order my groceries online and go to the store for "just a few things" and come home with another mustard anyway LOL
    I must get @Russ to see this.

I went through a strange mustard phase for a while. We would look in the pantry, and find mustard after mustard. He'd love to point them all out to me, too, lol.

But seriously, there are so many interesting varieties, and it's the best condiment, imo.

-Abbey

10. Thanks STTAB, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I must get @Russ to see this.

I went through a strange mustard phase for a while. We would look in the pantry, and find mustard after mustard. He'd love to point them all out to me, too, lol.

But seriously, there are so many interesting varieties, and it's the best condiment, imo.

Oh, I'm just talking about 8 yellow mustards LOL I have tons of mustards, brown mustard, whole grain mustard, creole mustard, beer mustard, lol. Just for whatever reason almost every time I go to the store I think "I think we're out of mustard" and toss a French's yellow in my cart.

To be fair, when you have 4 kids at home and your house is the central hang out spot every weekend you do go through a shit load of groceries, sometimes it's hard to keep up. I practically buy milk by 6 pack of gallons.

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Oh, I'm just talking about 8 yellow mustards LOL I have tons of mustards, brown mustard, whole grain mustard, creole mustard, beer mustard, lol. Just for whatever reason almost every time I go to the store I think "I think we're out of mustard" and toss a French's yellow in my cart.

To be fair, when you have 4 kids at home and your house is the central hang out spot every weekend you do go through a shit load of groceries, sometimes it's hard to keep up. I practically buy milk by 6 pack of gallons.
    That is weird.

I have dijon mustard, spicy mustard, yellow mustard, white wine mustard, (which may just be another dijon?) LOL!

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Fresh Direct - and we'll never go back to the old way again! All week long to slowly fill the cart and properly shop without forgetting things (I still do). The site is great and helps you get the lowest priced items. You can select any day and many windows for them to deliver, usually a 2 hour window. The frozen stuff is always still frozen and cold products cold. Everything is always correct & we always get freshness when delivered. They do a fantastic job.

And then yeah, the wife like to hit the local farmers market once every few weeks. And anything needed during the week is my job to do. So you know we don't forget much when ordering.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Fresh Direct - and we'll never go back to the old way again! All week long to slowly fill the cart and properly shop without forgetting things (I still do). The site is great and helps you get the lowest priced items. You can select any day and many windows for them to deliver, usually a 2 hour window. The frozen stuff is always still frozen and cold products cold. Everything is always correct & we always get freshness when delivered. They do a fantastic job.

And then yeah, the wife like to hit the local farmers market once every few weeks. And anything needed during the week is my job to do. So you know we don't forget much when ordering.
    You know we use them at your suggestion.

-Abbey

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

guess I'm the odd man out.......I enjoy grocery shopping almost as much as going to a hardware store (which is every man's toy store)........

I look at new products, watch for sales and stock up on my favorites.......sometimes I'm at the meat counter and notice a sale on a particular cut of meat, then go all the way back to the veggie section on the other side of the store because I think of a side I could make that would taste good with it.......
    ...full immersion.....

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    guess I'm the odd man out.......I enjoy grocery shopping almost as much as going to a hardware store (which is every man's toy store)........

I look at new products, watch for sales and stock up on my favorites.......sometimes I'm at the meat counter and notice a sale on a particular cut of meat, then go all the way back to the veggie section on the other side of the store because I think of a side I could make that would taste good with it.......
    I get that, I just use cook books to do what you are doing. I too enjoy going through the store, my problem is that for some reason, unlike say Macy's, things I don't need jump out and catch my attention. I make myself a promise while walking in with the cart, 'I will not be diverted!' Every time I break that promise. It didn't happen when I was younger and was really busy with the kids, my folks, a fair sized home, but now? Disaster. LOL!

I also find the whole loading and unloading of the car, then putting the groceries away tiring. Not the shopping part, but the moving into the home part. That certainly was part of the impetus to try. I did find the produce as good or better than what I'd have chosen, so there's that. Heck, half the time when I'm picking up produce I'm trying to decide whether to put away or pick up what I saw on sale regarding some toy or whatnot a few minutes prior; I inevitably forget a shallot or something.

I definitely become less focused in groceries. I don't get it, but I'm beginning to accept it.

22. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I get that, I just use cook books to do what you are doing. I too enjoy going through the store, my problem is that for some reason, unlike say Macy's, things I don't need jump out and catch my attention. I make myself a promise while walking in with the cart, 'I will not be diverted!' Every time I break that promise. It didn't happen when I was younger and was really busy with the kids, my folks, a fair sized home, but now? Disaster. LOL!

I also find the whole loading and unloading of the car, then putting the groceries away tiring. Not the shopping part, but the moving into the home part. That certainly was part of the impetus to try. I did find the produce as good or better than what I'd have chosen, so there's that. Heck, half the time when I'm picking up produce I'm trying to decide whether to put away or pick up what I saw on sale regarding some toy or whatnot a few minutes prior; I inevitably forget a shallot or something.

I definitely become less focused in groceries. I don't get it, but I'm beginning to accept it.

I use the Food Network App, cookbooks are for old people. LOL

Seriously , the app is awesome. Find a recipe you like and it even saves your ingredients into a shopping list. Just take your phone to the store with all your recipes for the week saved, open your shopping list and voila you see everything you need for that week's meals (of course don't forget to double for most recipes if you have a family like mine, maybe even triple)

Seriously, I have both boys home right now, they are both on leave. So we have 8 people in the house, last night I made ground beef and potato tacos. I cooked 10 lbs of ground beef for one meal. Plus all the extras.

My little 7 year old foster son ate a pound by himself I think LOL

Luckily I don't have to buy beef, I'd go broke.

24. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post

Nope, I'm with you. I like to look things over when it comes to food too. Even our small grocery store in town here has quite a few goodies in it, but you have to slow down and look things over. They've got unique things stocked in places you'd just walk past if you didn't take the time to notice. I'm with you on meat too, I'm pretty dang picky when it comes to that. I need to look it over, like bacon. I'll flip as many packs of bacon over to check the little window in the back to find the best looking meat that I have to, even if that means all of them...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-24-2020 at 10:28 AM.

26. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Nope, I'm with you. I like to look things over when it comes to food too. Even our small grocery store in town here has quite a few goodies in it, but you have to slow down and look things over. They've got unique things stocked in places you'd just walk past if you didn't take the time to notice. I'm with you on meat too, I'm pretty dang picky when it comes to that. I need to look it over, like bacon. I'll flip as many packs of bacon over to check the little window in the back to find the best looking meat that I have to, even if that means all of them...

You do realize that that litltle bacon window doesn't tell you anything don't you? Bacon manufacturers purposely put their best bacon there.

Speaking of bacon, I suggest Wright brand. mmmmmmmm

28. Thanks Gunny thanked this post