Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Now... GET YOUR GUNS BACK!

A very good thought.

I've long since argued against the ridiculously draconian gun laws we have in the UK. On this forum, I've argued repeatedly for a US-style gun law environment.

But ... if our two countries are ever likely to see an issue in totally different ways, gun control will be THE issue that'll create the greatest and sharpest disagreement. A former member of this forum joined a British blog site I was a member of (it now no longer exists), and mere mention of gun ownership brought her such vitriol from its other members that she was effectively driven off the site.

One member of that site even accused her of peddling guns, taking great exception to the very idea ... as though it branded her a criminal.

[I spent an entire afternoon on that site, doing nothing but defending her corner. It did no good ... and a couple of people there claimed that to argue as I did, I couldn't possibly be British]

No. Sadly, you may find agreement between Americans and Brits about Muslims, when that's discussed: but, when it gets down to discussion of action where guns so much as get a mention, agreement swiftly turns into strong disagreement. Our 'gun culture' has long been the polar opposite of yours (stupidly, in my view, but ... it IS).
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

HPD brought up a very relevant and important action to take as soon as possible. Giving up guns, giving up home defense by its occupants is never a good idea imho.
    I trust me to defend my home -as cops show up after the carnage.
    I'd rather the carnage to have been wrought upon the attackers of my home/family, rather than the carnage being wrought upon its rightful occupants. For that to be possible my home must have guns and a person very well trained how to use them!
    I started shooting at age 6.. March this year will be 60 years since I learned and I am by any standard a truly exceptional marksman/hunter. When young late teens and early twenties I gambled with friends in competitions shooting for bets. I never lost...
    Even at long range shooting or short ranger with pistols..
    Here in the South in my time/era--we were raised on guns at early age.. Learning to shoot even before learning to ride a bike or swim..
    I pray you guys get your guns back my friend... As my best bet is-- you are going to need them in the future..--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post

A very good thought.

I've long since argued against the ridiculously draconian gun laws we have in the UK. On this forum, I've argued repeatedly for a US-style gun law environment.

But ... if our two countries are ever likely to see an issue in totally different ways, gun control will be THE issue that'll create the greatest and sharpest disagreement. A former member of this forum joined a British blog site I was a member of (it now no longer exists), and mere mention of gun ownership brought her such vitriol from its other members that she was effectively driven off the site.

One member of that site even accused her of peddling guns, taking great exception to the very idea ... as though it branded her a criminal.

[I spent an entire afternoon on that site, doing nothing but defending her corner. It did no good ... and a couple of people there claimed that to argue as I did, I couldn't possibly be British]

No. Sadly, you may find agreement between Americans and Brits about Muslims, when that's discussed: but, when it gets down to discussion of action where guns so much as get a mention, agreement swiftly turns into strong disagreement. Our 'gun culture' has long been the polar opposite of yours (stupidly, in my view, but ... it IS).
    I'll tell ya bro, for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would be AGAINST being able to protect yourself. That just sounds like some draconian deep seated brain washing right there. Apparently I really am out of touch with the mindset of many Brits.

I just bought this... (below)... a Remington Model 700 in .300 Winchester Mag. It's a canon, and to me, it's my God given right to own it, let alone my constitutional right. But as far as I see it, if they ever try and take our 2nd Amendment right away, then we'll have no way to fight back if they ever want to take away all the rest. Without our second amendment right, we might as well bend over and kiss our asses goodbye, because at that point we're nothing more cattle...

THIS separates me from being CATTLE...

I'd love to see you Brits at least be able to get yourself a nice pistol or something.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-01-2020 at 11:02 AM.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@Drummond ... get yourself a nice little pea shooter like my Taurus Raging Bull .44 mag here... you hit an intruder with one of these rounds and you won't have to worry about shooting them again. They're done... (the finish is nicer on the pistol than it looks. It's oily and has link from the case on it, and that looks like scratches. The pistol is actually super nice.)

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-01-2020 at 11:09 AM.

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I'll tell ya bro, for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would be AGAINST being able to protect yourself. That just sounds like some draconian deep seated brain washing right there. Apparently I really am out of touch with the mindset of many Brits.

I just bought this... (below)... a Remington Model 700 in .300 Winchester Mag. It's a canon, and to me, it's my God given right to own it, let alone my constitutional right. But as far as I see it, if they ever try and take our 2nd Amendment right away, then we'll have no way to fight back if they ever want to take away all the rest. Without our second amendment right, we might as well bend over and kiss our asses goodbye, because at that point we're nothing more cattle...

THIS separates me from being CATTLE...

I'd love to see you Brits at least be able to get yourself a nice pistol or something.
    When you describe the Brit attitude as 'brainwashing' ... that's exactly it. Don't ever forget just for how long our Left (a hardline version of it, compared with the American version) has held positions of influence and power over here. Their politics is far more ingrained in people here than is true for Americans.

[Example: our NHS. Been around since 1948, introduced by our Left .. has known many scandals, and the worst of them saw a health trust kill HUNDREDS of people. But, nobody questions the healthcare model responsible for any of it. Take a political stand against our NHS ... any politician here doing that would be destroying his / her career, automatically]

Our idea of defence is leaving it up to the authorities. Someone goes berserk in a neighbourhood ... call the police. We had one example of a machete-wielding maniac threatening people (& in a street I once lived in !!). The police were called ... and before they'd arrived, the maniac had used his time to behead an elderly lady. Now, did this result in anybody calling for the right to own and use a gun, in self-defence ? NO ... the police response time was questioned, instead.

Brits recoil against using guns. I do think that's a product of generations of conditioning. Every single time we hear of a mass shooting in America, media and public mood alike is to say 'tut tut, that's where widespread gun ownership leads you'. Invariably news outlets, notably the BBC, embark upon 'examination' of the 'consequences of widespread gun ownership, and the need for more stringent controls'.

We get this EVERY SINGLE TIME you have such a crisis to resolve, and we blame those crises on your gun laws. Most people here think you should adopt OUR 'standards' .... and they don't waver in that belief, not even when a terrorist atrocity, like the recent one on London Bridge, happen.

By the way, your gun images didn't appear on my screen, just a message saying 'Image not found'. Not sure if that's transatlantic censorship at work .. ?...
    Last edited by Drummond; 02-01-2020 at 01:59 PM.

10. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Thought I'd add this, on the subject of UK gun laws, and who can own one, and under what circumstances ownership is permitted ...

https://www.newsweek.com/britains-gu...firearm-471473

What constitutes a "firearm"?

'Firearm' means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged.

What are the basic principles of firearms law in the U.K.?

U.K. firearms policy is based on the fact that firearms are dangerous weapons and the State has a duty to protect the public from their misuse. Gun ownership in the U.K. is a privilege, not a right. Firearms control in the U.K. is among the toughest in the world ...
    What is a good reason to own a firearm?

Applicants should be able to demonstrate to the licensing authority that they require their firearm on a regular, legitimate basis for work, sport or leisure (including collections or research). Chief Officers are able to exercise discretion over what constitutes a good reason, judging each case on its own merits.
    In other words, I couldn't just say I wanted to own a gun, without also being able to prove that I had a specific reason to need to, over & above what counts as 'normality'.

You in America have a right to bear arms. We in the UK have no such automatic right, and a specific case to prove ownership necessity must be made before the 'privilege' of owning a gun is granted.
    Last edited by Drummond; 02-01-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Can you just join a shooting club and then say the gun(s) are for leisure?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

13. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

When you describe the Brit attitude as 'brainwashing' ... that's exactly it. Don't ever forget just for how long our Left (a hardline version of it, compared with the American version) has held positions of influence and power over here. Their politics is far more ingrained in people here than is true for Americans.

[Example: our NHS. Been around since 1948, introduced by our Left .. has known many scandals, and the worst of them saw a health trust kill HUNDREDS of people. But, nobody questions the healthcare model responsible for any of it. Take a political stand against our NHS ... any politician here doing that would be destroying his / her career, automatically]

Our idea of defence is leaving it up to the authorities. Someone goes berserk in a neighbourhood ... call the police. We had one example of a machete-wielding maniac threatening people (& in a street I once lived in !!). The police were called ... and before they'd arrived, the maniac had used his time to behead an elderly lady. Now, did this result in anybody calling for the right to own and use a gun, in self-defence ? NO ... the police response time was questioned, instead.

Brits recoil against using guns. I do think that's a product of generations of conditioning. Every single time we hear of a mass shooting in America, media and public mood alike is to say 'tut tut, that's where widespread gun ownership leads you'. Invariably news outlets, notably the BBC, embark upon 'examination' of the 'consequences of widespread gun ownership, and the need for more stringent controls'.

We get this EVERY SINGLE TIME you have such a crisis to resolve, and we blame those crises on your gun laws. Most people here think you should adopt OUR 'standards' .... and they don't waver in that belief, not even when a terrorist atrocity, like the recent one on London Bridge, happen.

By the way, your gun images didn't appear on my screen, just a message saying 'Image not found'. Not sure if that's transatlantic censorship at work .. ?...
    I deleted the gun pics. I don't leave them up long. Kind of a small window to view them.

Years ago I wouldn't have cared, but the left here won't rest either until they confiscate them all.

They'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands.

15. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Can you just join a shooting club and then say the gun(s) are for leisure?
    Wouldn't work, Abbey.

We do have shooting clubs, but not many of them (I think I'd have to travel around 100 miles to get to the nearest one). Our clubs operate using strict rules, and the one I asked at (a couple of decades ago, now) told me that firearms could only be used on their premises (shooting at targets, that sort of thing). I'd have to secretly smuggle one out of the club ... most probably I'd be discovered quickly.

If I did smuggle one out, I'd be in illegal possession of it, and I'd probably be prosecuted if (when) caught.

Using it outside of the club would itself be an illegal act .. regardless of circumstances.

So, no. I could apply for a gun licence, but I'd have to explain why I, specifically, had particular need for one. I don't see how that could be explained to any authority's satisfaction.

I've posted this before. It's now an old story. Still instructive, though ..... it's the story of a farmer who'd been previously burgled, and finally decided he had to do whatever it took to protect his property. This he duly did. The timeline of events following this, are here >>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3087003.stm

Mr Martin served more time in jail than the surviving burglars did, and one of them even decided to try and sue Martin for Ł50,000 ....

From that BBC link, by the way .. this might interest 'HPD' ....

27 September 2002: Charlton Heston, former actor and president of the US National Rifle Association, gives his support to Martin.
    Mr Heston's intervention was noted, but basically ignored. It wasn't until the following July that Tony Martin gained his release from prison.
    Last edited by Drummond; 02-02-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I deleted the gun pics. I don't leave them up long. Kind of a small window to view them.

Years ago I wouldn't have cared, but the left here won't rest either until they confiscate them all.

They'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands.
    You're fortunate that you have the rights you do, that you live where you do.

If you'd been living in the UK, your actions would brand you, under our laws, as criminal. Our authorities would never tolerate them.

But then, that's what you get in a society where Left-wing sensibilities have been given too much latitude, too much acceptance.

I don't care how it's done, or what it takes. The Left's ability to exercise control or influence MUST be permanently curbed (preferably eradicated entirely) in your society. Otherwise, one day, your country will be indistinguishable from my own.

18. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

You're fortunate that you have the rights you do, that you live where you do.

If you'd been living in the UK, your actions would brand you, under our laws, as criminal. Our authorities would never tolerate them.

But then, that's what you get in a society where Left-wing sensibilities have been given too much latitude, too much acceptance.

I don't care how it's done, or what it takes. The Left's ability to exercise control or influence MUST be permanently curbed (preferably eradicated entirely) in your society. Otherwise, one day, your country will be indistinguishable from my own.
    Believe me bro, I thank God I live in America just about every day. The rest of the world can look at us all as gun totting barbarians all they want, but that's the way we like it.

It was armed citizens that formed this nation, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the armed citizens that are charged with keeping it.

This is what I envision every time I hear talk about disarming America...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-02-2020 at 02:49 PM.

20. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond, FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Believe me bro, I thank God I live in America just about every day. The rest of the world can look at us all as gun totting barbarians all they want, but that's the way we like it.

It was armed citizens that formed this nation, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the armed citizens that are charged with keeping it.

This is what I envision every time I hear talk about disarming America...

Great post.

It's vitally important that the Left is kept firmly at bay, never allowed any more power or influence than can be helped. If they can be discredited, wiped out as any political force that matters ... even better.

Because it's our Left that's made the UK as gun-shy as it is. To them, total subservience to and dependence upon The Mighty State is what they preach and insist upon. Result ... individual self-reliance becomes an alien concept !

You'll know better than I do that the spirit of self-reliance, and individual striving, the individual's freedoms MATTERING ... was & is what continues to make your country a great one.

22. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, FakeNewsSux thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Great post.

It's vitally important that the Left is kept firmly at bay, never allowed any more power or influence than can be helped. If they can be discredited, wiped out as any political force that matters ... even better.

Because it's our Left that's made the UK as gun-shy as it is. To them, total subservience to and dependence upon The Mighty State is what they preach and insist upon. Result ... individual self-reliance becomes an alien concept !

You'll know better than I do that the spirit of self-reliance, and individual striving, the individual's freedoms MATTERING ... was & is what continues to make your country a great one.
    Thank you for those kind words, brother.

I still think you should move to America. I think you'd love it here... ...

24. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

26. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    Brilliant video ... I enjoyed it a lot !

A couple of references to explain: 'The weird one with the glasses' can only be Rebecca Long-Bailey, a hard-Left MP who's fighting to become the next Labour Party leader after Corbyn (he's standing down in April, and there are four contenders for his job).

Rebecca L-B is seen as the 'Corbyn-continuation' candidate .. she fully endorses everything Corbyn stood for and is offering a policy platform pretty much identical to everything he's ever preached. I want her to win; to prove to the electorate that Labour refuse to listen to them. She should sideline Labour for at least a generation.

[Of course, she's battling to come up with a proper image ! She dropped the hyphen in her name to appear more 'working class'. She's now re-adopted it, because few people followed suit. Currently, she's to be known as 'Becky' (going for the more 'chummy' image)]

'Most of Hackney' ... a London borough, firmly and apparently incurably Socialist. It has Diane Abbott (Labour, what else ??) as its MP, whose media gaffes have become legendary. As an 'advertisement' for Socialism ... Hackney's long-term impoverished state says volumes. Yet, the people there keep on voting those responsible back on to their local council ...

John Bercow ... Speaker of the House until recently. Now fighting claims of bullying. Highly unpopular in his time (.. though, his performances made great television) ... Speakers usually get a peerage at the end of their terms. It's said that to award Bercow one, would be an outrage.

Bercow always claimed a neutral stance over Brexit. Nobody believed him, and his rulings at critical times were seen as deliberately obstructive to making progress with it.

On Diane Abbott ... her current gaffe is to reject that ex-military servicemen were capable of ever feeling bullied. This has earned her a torrent of charges of insensitivity and downright stupidity.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/di...ations-1385601

Diane Abbott deletes tweet suggesting ex-army officer couldn't be bullied in Bercow row.

Diane Abbott has come under fire for suggesting accusations of bullying made against John Bercow were unlikely to be true because they were made by an army veteran.

The shadow home secretary tweeted defending the former Commons Speaker,who has dominated headlines yet again after a former staff member, ex-black rod David Leakey, accused him of bullying.

Ms Abbott suggested that Mr Leakey, who was Lieutenant General, could not be a victim of bullying and intimidation due to his extensive military service.
    Here's a video of her floundering in a 'car crash' interview on LBC, with Nick Ferrari ... definitely cringeworthy in the extreme ...

Try another one ... Piers Morgan interviewing Abbott on ITV's flagship Breakfast show ...

Diane Abbott would've been our Home Secretary, had Labour won the last election.
    Last edited by Drummond; 02-07-2020 at 08:05 AM.