Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Well, I'm not much help to you, Abs... my doctors wanted elevated heart rate and didn't care how exactly that was achieved.

Walking was the suggestion right out of the gate, anything to get some minor cardio.

I did mine by normal work, doing 7/10s for months on end... so I never had to really think about it, I just did what I do!

Since you've got that hip working against you, the swimming idea is a sound one. I always liked swimming.

You could always have Russ show up wearing nothing but a 10-gallon Stetson, a toolbelt and cowboy boots. That's sure to boost your heart rate!

Hahahahahaha! This is one my favorite posts I've ever read on the board!!! I love it!

I immediately went out and bought a 10-gallon Stetson, a toolbelt, and cowboy boots (with a secret compartment).
    Abbey now has an occasionally elevated heart rate, along with somewhere to hang her hat!
    Thanks, NT, and thank you Abbey!!!
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain, Abbey Marie, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Thanks Gunny.

One wall of my heart is permanently damaged from the heart attack.

About 1.5-2 years ago my cardiologist gave me a stress test, which I survived, haha. I haven't asked her about specific exercises, but she had given me a general go-ahead to exercise. When I told her we planning to go to hilly Sicily for 11 days, she said "Go, have fun". And I fairly recently had PT for the hip, where I did recumbent bike and leg-strengthening exercises 2-3 times a week. But not as much as I did the other night.
    I would say then I'd be in the swim crowd. When I first saw it when STTAB mentioned it my jarhead light clicked on and I thought Swim=laps in an Olympic pool, performed in the Marine Corps proscribed perfectionist manner, as rapidly as possible.

The notion "swim" includes treading water didn't click until today

I am all for it and would in fact swim myself if it was convenient for me and I didn't have a munchkin all day.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Abbey Marie, STTAB thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

they say that if you do something 20 times it becomes a habit.........let us know when you hit 21.....
    ...full immersion.....

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I hate to sound lie a commercial, BUT ... consult with a physician. Preferably, a sports medicine md as well as your cardiologist. Reason being is I could give you enough workouts to keep you busy for years, but it would be negligent on my part to not know EXACTLY what your heart problem is/was. Is the damage physical and permanent? Will exercise ultimately do more damage. What exercises are safest and most productive for what you wish to do.

It is my understanding damage to heart is permanent. You would want exercises that would benefit you most while placing the least amount of stress on the heart.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just practical .

I don't have any heartburn with anything anyone else has mentioned. One thing, and STTAB touched on this: Draw a big, fat red line through "lose weight". What you weight is irrelevant to the composition of the weight. Anything about what you should weigh from accepted American standards is going to be archaic. You can weigh 20 more pounds than you do now and be healthier than if you weighed 10 less if your fat to lean muscle mass ratio is off kilter.

Bingo. Have a friend of my wife's she's a good 20-30 lbs overweight, not obese but definately on the plus side, well recently she's decided to start making some changes. She's changed her diet and began daily workouts. Nothing extreme, just some sensible diet changes and some moderate exercise. After two weeks she was pissed to discover that she had actually gained 3 pounds.

Well , simply losing wait doesn't mean a person is healthier. She will eventually lose weight , but probably 10 lbs tops as she isn't overweight by much to begin with and a good portion of the fat she now has is going to become muscle.

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Well, despite the wise warnings in here, that shoulder machine I tried last night messed me up. I was up most of the night with real bad neck and top of the shoulder pain that extends from just above the shoulder blade up the neck to the base of my dopey noggin. Really hurt, damn it. I just had to keep going even though I didn’t know what I was doing, and it was starting to get really hard to lift.

A heating pad and Advil are helping somewhat, but turning my head is no fun. What a maroon!

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well, despite the wise warnings in here, that shoulder machine I tried last night messed me up. I was up most of the night with real bad neck and top of the shoulder pain that extends from just above the shoulder blade up the neck to the base of my dopey noggin. Really hurt, damn it. I just had to keep going even though I didn’t know what I was doing, and it was starting to get really hard to lift.

A heating pad and Advil are helping somewhat, but turning my head is no fun. What a maroon!

Ice & heat-alternately. Since the shoulder I’ve tried for moderation.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

12. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Sounds like you strained your trapezius. That is the muscle in your back that connects your head to your shoulders and back. No fun, and THIS is going to hurt

Sit flat on the floor, legs straight out. You can use a chair of you can't sit on the floor. Hands behind your head, elbows straight forward. Curls your head forward trying to touch your chin to your collar. Don't worry. You aren't going to get even close You'll be pulling your head forward with your hands so DON'T over-do it. Just enough to feel the stretch. Hold it, then let off.

You can also reach across the top of your head with your hand and pull your head (you are actually going for the stretch to the side, not jerking your head around with your hands) to the side. Same the other way. Same rules apply: get to the stretch, hold it a few seconds, then let off.

There's no easy fix so don't expect miracles. It will help though, and it will help loosen up your neck/shoulders/upper back.

Just an idea (I do the stretches regularly).
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I would say then I'd be in the swim crowd. When I first saw it when STTAB mentioned it my jarhead light clicked on and I thought Swim=laps in an Olympic pool, performed in the Marine Corps proscribed perfectionist manner, as rapidly as possible.

The notion "swim" includes treading water didn't click until today

I am all for it and would in fact swim myself if it was convenient for me and I didn't have a munchkin all day.

Swimming is bar none the best exercise for someone who is just wanting to tone without building muscle. Now , of course, if you are a competitive swimmer you are also going to want to do weightlting and such, but something tells me Abbey isn't looking to give Michael Phelps a run for his money.

Oh get this Gunny, at age 48 I'm doing my first triathalon this weekend. I have a buddy who has been doing them for years, and for years he's been asking me to join him. Well next weekend the group that he competes with is putting on a benefit with all proceeds going to Tunnels to Towers, so I felt the need to participate. Even neater, both of my adult sons are home at the moment and they are going to compete as well. One was actually supposed to report to duty Friday but his new CEO upon hearing why he was requesting a delay told him "see you the following Wednesday but you have better have made a good showing hooah"

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Swimming is bar none the best exercise for someone who is just wanting to tone without building muscle. Now , of course, if you are a competitive swimmer you are also going to want to do weightlting and such, but something tells me Abbey isn't looking to give Michael Phelps a run for his money.

Oh get this Gunny, at age 48 I'm doing my first triathalon this weekend. I have a buddy who has been doing them for years, and for years he's been asking me to join him. Well next weekend the group that he competes with is putting on a benefit with all proceeds going to Tunnels to Towers, so I felt the need to participate. Even neater, both of my adult sons are home at the moment and they are going to compete as well. One was actually supposed to report to duty Friday but his new CEO upon hearing why he was requesting a delay told him "see you the following Wednesday but you have better have made a good showing hooah"
    Good luck with the triathlon. I used to work out to run them at one time but never did.

I've been swimming since I can remember. I was and presumably wishfully thinking I am Water Survival Qualified (which automatically certifies me as a lifeguard with the Red Cross) from my jarhead days. I literally could stay in the pool 8 hours. Was in my thirties then That was all more mental than physical for me. I could stay in the water all day but not using the Red Cross strokes taken to a perfectionist extreme by the Marine Corps. I literally had to re-teach myself to swim on the fly by failing each each even the first time and doing it over the way they wanted. It was fun Was definitely full of myself when I finally got finished though

If I had to choose one exercise only to work out it would probably be swimming. It pretty much covers everything.

Sounds like your son better show or not show up at work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Good luck with the triathlon. I used to work out to run them at one time but never did.

I've been swimming since I can remember. I was and presumably wishfully thinking I am Water Survival Qualified (which automatically certifies me as a lifeguard with the Red Cross) from my jarhead days. I literally could stay in the pool 8 hours. Was in my thirties then That was all more mental than physical for me. I could stay in the water all day but not using the Red Cross strokes taken to a perfectionist extreme by the Marine Corps. I literally had to re-teach myself to swim on the fly by failing each each even the first time and doing it over the way they wanted. It was fun Was definitely full of myself when I finally got finish

If I had to choose one exercise only to work out it would probably be swimming. It pretty much covers everything.

Sounds like your son better show or not show up at work
    All of my children excel at everything they do. I've been blessed. Myself, I'm just hoping to survive.

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

An update:
    Heading to the gym soon with Russ. Neck/shoulder are all better, but I will stick to the bike for a bit. It's not much, but it beats the heck out of not going at all, I believe. Plus Russ likes when I go, lol.

Cardiologist likes my BP and told me I've lost 10 lbs since last year. Again, not much, but if she's happy, I'm happy. She told me most patients gain 5-10 lbs, so she's thrilled with the number. I also told her how much I'm doing on the bike, distance and duration, and she likes that too. I feel better knowing that my Cardiologist feels it’s safe.

Now to get in better shape, and maybe lose more. Need to look good for our trip to Bermuda in May.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

21. Thanks Kathianne, Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

An update:
    Heading to the gym soon with Russ. Neck/shoulder are all better, but I will stick to the bike for a bit. It's not much, but it beats the heck out of not going at all, I believe. Plus Russ likes when I go, lol.

Now to get in better shape, and maybe lose more. Need to look good for our trip to Bermuda in May.
    Yep, Russ likes going to the gym with you.

And you already look good for the trip to Bermuda.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

23. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, SassyLady liked this post