Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default U.S. Service Members Killed In Afghanistan Identified

Afghanistan is FUBAR. We need to leave or get down to business. I don't mean some Paris Peace Accord "we're leaving with honor" BS either. I mean more like you don't deserve us nor our help -- bye. No excuses nor trying to blow smoke up everyone's asses. We are not accomplishing anything and it is as much the fault of who we are helping as it is the enemy.

Recap: We deposed the Taliban for refusing to surrender OBL. He's dead. Mission accomplished.

This incident sounds like another war we got tangled up in. This guy is an ally? They all look the same to me.

OAN Newsroom
    UPDATED 7:22 AM PT — Monday, February 10, 2020

The Pentagon has identified two Americans who were recently killed in an attack in Afghanistan. On Sunday, the Defense Department confirmed Javier Gutierrez and Antonio Rey Rodriguez were fatally shot by a man in an Afghan uniform, during a mission Saturday night. The servicemen were supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.
    Six other troops were also injured during the shooting. According to officials, the gunman was an Afghan soldier who had got into an argument with U.S. forces before opening fire. The shooter was not associated with the Taliban.
    “The operation is ongoing there, we still do not know whether he was an infiltrator or if it was done by mistake,” explained Shah Mahmood Miakhel, Governor of the Nangarhar province. “A delegation has gone there for a comprehensive investigation, whenever we receive more details will share that with you.”
    Further details on the incident are slim, but authorities confirmed the alleged gunman has been killed. An investigation into the attack is ongoing.
    https://www.oann.com/american-forces...n-afghanistan/
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I would have thought that after watching Russia get it's ass kicked in Afghanistan for 9 years we'd have learned that it's not worth the effort, and they're right next door, and I don't buy this, "we're fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here" crap at all.

I think we should pack up and leave that killing field lock, stock 'n barrel. We haven't changed SHIT there in how many decades? What a worthless endeavor, not to mention the trillions of dollars and lives we've WASTED there.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-10-2020 at 11:50 AM.

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I would have thought that after watching Russia get it's ass kicked in Afghanistan for 9 years we'd have learned that it's not worth the effort, and they're right next door, and I don't buy this, "we're fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here" crap at all.

I think we should pack up and leave that killing field lock, stock 'n barrel. We haven't changed SHIT there in how many decades? What a worthless endeavor, not to mention the trillions of dollars and lives we've WASTED there.
    No one wants to be the one to put his name on the line as making the call. Either party.

In the meantime, US service members are dying with no real goal. We're going to wait out the Taliban? Those people have been killing each other since before the Europe, never mind the US, even existed. Let 'em. Without us.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    No one wants to be the one to put his name on the line as making the call. Either party.

In the meantime, US service members are dying with no real goal. We're going to wait out the Taliban? Those people have been killing each other since before the Europe, never mind the US, even existed. Let 'em. Without us.
    Yup... everybody is afraid of what will happen if we leave. They'll get BLAMED for it.

Well then who's to blame for getting us INTO that quagmire in the first place? Seems to me that they're a helluva lot more responsible for wasted money and lives than anyone with the balls to get us out of there would be.

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yup... everybody is afraid of what will happen if we leave. They'll get BLAMED for it.

Well then who's to blame for getting us INTO that quagmire in the first place? Seems to me that they're a helluva lot more responsible for wasted money and lives than anyone with the balls to get us out of there would be.
    Consider the facts. The person that pulls out WILL get blamed. His/her whole party will get blamed.

Now that doesn't mean crap to the Dems. They get caught red-handed and blamed and they don't care. Republicans on the other hand cringe at the thought that the Dems/MSM/left accuse them of being conservative, never mind something more.

We did not stick to the plan. The plan was to punish the Taliban for not handing over bin Laden. That has somehow morphed into keeping the Taliban out of power/destroying the Taliban since the continuing war hangs on the thread of the (correct) accusation that the Taliban is a terrorist organization. Except when they were the muhajadeen and fight the USSR. Then they were freedom fighters and we supported them (not so) under the table.

Once bin Laden was dead, we should have just left. We had as good a claim to "mission accomplished" then as anything else. Instead, we're propping up a corrupt government that's main source of income is heroin. Boy are we ever looking smart . Rest assured, there is a lot of money being made to keep that war going.

Politically, it's as stated. No one wants to be the one to call the game.

10. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Consider the facts. The person that pulls out WILL get blamed. His/her whole party will get blamed.

Now that doesn't mean crap to the Dems. They get caught red-handed and blamed and they don't care. Republicans on the other hand cringe at the thought that the Dems/MSM/left accuse them of being conservative, never mind something more.

We did not stick to the plan. The plan was to punish the Taliban for not handing over bin Laden. That has somehow morphed into keeping the Taliban out of power/destroying the Taliban since the continuing war hangs on the thread of the (correct) accusation that the Taliban is a terrorist organization. Except when they were the muhajadeen and fight the USSR. Then they were freedom fighters and we supported them (not so) under the table.

Once bin Laden was dead, we should have just left. We had as good a claim to "mission accomplished" then as anything else. Instead, we're propping up a corrupt government that's main source of income is heroin. Boy are we ever looking smart . Rest assured, there is a lot of money being made to keep that war going.

Politically, it's as stated. No one wants to be the one to call the game.
    That's it in a nut shell right there.

However, I think Trump would like to pull us otta there, but he's got all his "advisers" telling him not to.

Maybe he will in his second term, when he has nothing to lose. I think a lot of Americans WOULD like to see us leave, no matter what happens after.

And weren't the dems supposed to be the ones that HATED WAR? Since when did they turn into the war mongers that think we need perpetual war?

Oh... I should think for a minute here... they just hate ANYTHING the republican party does, and what it is doesn't matter. Whatever it is they do, they're AGAINST IT, PERIOD, and will use it to their advantage... HYPOCRISY AND ALL. They know their PROPAGANDA WING will carry their water.

But the republicans need to learn that their propaganda wing doesn't have the same effect it used to have BEFORE SOCIAL MEDIA. They're not the ONLY source of news anymore. The TRUTH CAN BLEED OUT now despite them pushing their biased crap. It's a little different now than it was 30 years ago. They're not the only source anymore, and yes, that REALLY pisses them off.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-10-2020 at 05:19 PM.