Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Wanted to add - how long before Trump gets blamed for the market conditions? You watch. A worldwide health crisis and he WILL get blamed somehow by some!
    That is what I've been saying, while very worrisome, it's good the CDC came out today and said, "It's not good, prepare."

When the President says, "Under control", if and when it goes out of control, he will be blamed.

There is no need to panic, but there definitely are reasons to be prepared for shortages in stores in coming months. If you need certain meds, better find out if they or necessary ingredients for them are coming from China. If so, you need to talk to doctor about getting at least a 90 day supply to put aside.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Yep, now down to -762 for the day. That's one hell of a beating in 2 days, and how far will it crash?
    Now around -650. One more hour for some buying. Yesterday was awful, hopefully today will just be bad.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    That is what I've been saying, while very worrisome, it's good the CDC came out today and said, "It's not good, prepare."

When the President says, "Under control", if and when it goes out of control, he will be blamed.

There is no need to panic, but there definitely are reasons to be prepared for shortages in stores in coming months. If you need certain meds, better find out if they or necessary ingredients for them are coming from China. If so, you need to talk to doctor about getting at least a 90 day supply to put aside.
    Apparently Warren has been blaming Trump already in various ways for the virus, I honestly never saw that. She claims not filling federal positions played a part, as did the Paris accord and climate change. Idiocy.

But Russia has been at it with their propaganda, avoiding the REAL topic about labs in China and claiming Trump did just that himself!!!

Russian TV Runs Conspiracy Theory Blaming Trump for Coronavirus

A Russian state television show has run a conspiracy theory which blames the coronavirus outbreak on none other than U.S. President Donald Trump.

During Wednesday evening’s edition of “Vremya” on Channel One, host Kirill Kleimenov recounted the theory that the highly contagious virus didn’t originate in a cave of Chinese bats, but was actually manufactured in an American laboratory on Trump’s orders.

Kleimenov pointed to an unmistakable “signature” in the virus’ name which could only be the work of Trump.

“From the origin of the word, the origin of the virus becomes clearer. What is it called? Coronavirus. Take the word ‘crown.’ It is the basis of the name and comes first,” Kleimenov said.

“What did Donald Trump, the president of America, China’s main rival in the world arena, do in his previous life? That's right, he handed out crowns at his famous beauty contest. So the origin of the coronavirus, and most importantly, the goals and objectives of its use become absolutely clear,” he continued, admitting that it was just a conspiracy theory.

In reality, coronaviruses get their name from the virus' appearance, which resembles a crown.

Rest - https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/...navirus-a69189
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Shoot, didn't think of that. I see my doc this week and I'll bring that up to him, and hope mine are safe. One is a narcotic (xanax) and he can only prescribe me 30 days worth according to NY law (or what he tells me). So hopefully I'll be ok with that one.

I hope they're way off with this one and we get minimal contact, but not sounding good the way it's spreading thus far.

CDC Warns of Coronavirus Spread in USA: ‘Disruption to Everyday Life Might Be Severe’

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, warned that the spread of China’s deadly coronavirus in the United States is all but certain and said Americans’ everyday life could be dramatically affected.

“As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder,” Messonnier told reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses,” the top public health official added. “Disruption to everyday life might be severe.”

Messonnier said the continued spread of the virus has led to a shift to a more dire tone.

“The data over the last week and spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern, and raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here, so that has changed our tone,” she said.

The illness that originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan has now infected more than 80,000 people globally. 77,000 cases have been confirmed in China with others in parts of Europe and the Middle East.

To date, 57 cases have been confirmed in the U.S., including 40 cases of people who the government transported from the Diamond Princess cruise ship from Japan.

The virus’ spread caused the U.S. stock market to plunge.

An expected rebound after Monday’s 1,000-point nosedive on Wall Street had yet to materialize by midday Tuesday.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down nearly 500 points by 1 p.m. EST. The S&P 500 was down about 50 points and the Nasdaq 122 points.

The 10-year Treasury yield hit a record low of 1.32 percent Tuesday while the 30-year bond also fell.

Some experts anticipated at least somewhat of a rebound Tuesday, which has usually been seen following precipitous drops on a Monday, particularly after futures indicated a boost.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ght-be-severe/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Shoot, didn't think of that. I see my doc this week and I'll bring that up to him, and hope mine are safe. One is a narcotic (xanax) and he can only prescribe me 30 days worth according to NY law (or what he tells me). So hopefully I'll be ok with that one.

I hope they're way off with this one and we get minimal contact, but not sounding good the way it's spreading thus far.

CDC Warns of Coronavirus Spread in USA: ‘Disruption to Everyday Life Might Be Severe’

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, warned that the spread of China’s deadly coronavirus in the United States is all but certain and said Americans’ everyday life could be dramatically affected.

“As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder,” Messonnier told reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses,” the top public health official added. “Disruption to everyday life might be severe.”

Messonnier said the continued spread of the virus has led to a shift to a more dire tone.

“The data over the last week and spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern, and raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here, so that has changed our tone,” she said.

The illness that originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan has now infected more than 80,000 people globally. 77,000 cases have been confirmed in China with others in parts of Europe and the Middle East.

To date, 57 cases have been confirmed in the U.S., including 40 cases of people who the government transported from the Diamond Princess cruise ship from Japan.

The virus’ spread caused the U.S. stock market to plunge.

An expected rebound after Monday’s 1,000-point nosedive on Wall Street had yet to materialize by midday Tuesday.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down nearly 500 points by 1 p.m. EST. The S&P 500 was down about 50 points and the Nasdaq 122 points.

The 10-year Treasury yield hit a record low of 1.32 percent Tuesday while the 30-year bond also fell.

Some experts anticipated at least somewhat of a rebound Tuesday, which has usually been seen following precipitous drops on a Monday, particularly after futures indicated a boost.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ght-be-severe/
    Yep, that was the information I linked to earlier, it's good the CDC did that. Trump keeps saying that the US has it under control here, though we KNOW that literally thousands of people have been to China or have contact with people that have and none of these people have been tested. There's only about 500 people that have been screened upon entry, most have not been. Not the equipment or people to do so. Then there are those that have lied.

It's not 'under control' here or anywhere.

Got to hit a balance between panic and deception. Denying the problem will only create more distrust of government; going to far down the road, panic will ensue.

Meds-check with the doc, some of the restrictions may be under change, as the medical community is aware of Chinese supplylines and possible issues.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

With a half hour of trading left, down about 820. I think there will be more calm when folks get more facts, which the announcement by CDC will help. Better late than not at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

A bit of early analysis from the announcement:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...us-inevitable/

From what I've been reading since the middle of January, mitigation is the goal.

*slow the spread, so that the medical system does not go under.
    *people need to stop being in large groups
    *businesses should develop work at home procedures if they don't have them and encourage workers to do just that if they already do.

What I've noticed from before and after China 'came clean'-a misnomer if there ever was one about the virus:
    *Goods from China ran short of demand at Christmas. We ran out of Nintendo Switch about 10 days before Christmas and didn't get more until the end of January.
    *Stock from China is now hitting the stores in mass, literally no place to store it. (Likely they are closing their warehouses and have stopped production, but we don't know.) We likely have about 2 months of stock such as video games and players, cell phones, laptops, etc.-not sure what will happen when the deliveries stop being 'back stock' from past orders. If we're right, there will be shortages and that will include foods and medicines and who knows what all, not just electronics.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yep, that was the information I linked to earlier, it's good the CDC did that. Trump keeps saying that the US has it under control here, though we KNOW that literally thousands of people have been to China or have contact with people that have and none of these people have been tested. There's only about 500 people that have been screened upon entry, most have not been. Not the equipment or people to do so. Then there are those that have lied.

It's not 'under control' here or anywhere.

Got to hit a balance between panic and deception. Denying the problem will only create more distrust of government; going to far down the road, panic will ensue.

Meds-check with the doc, some of the restrictions may be under change, as the medical community is aware of Chinese supplylines and possible issues.
    I think being under control - should mean that they have everything in the ready should anyone become sick, and that they have doctors and facilities to handle an outbreak. And of course, under control should mean that any outbreak is at a level of being controlled. Of course no country can say that! Not for awhile now anyway. But like you pointed out, ya can't turn around and say "Well we have an unknown amount sick at this point but numbers are rising. And while prepared for sick folks, at this point we don't yet know where they may be and where they got sick, and who has been in contact with them so far."

And just like that, things spread overnight. But someone has to stand up and show folks what is being done and that they are prepared and at the ready, and things are all thumbs up and "we got it" attitude. Even if not truly the truth. And that will work!

Until and if we ever see empty shelves, as that's when the panic buying happens overnight in areas. And once you see pockets of numbers in neighborhoods, that's when those areas panic too. And then - how will the MSM handle things should there be an outbreak in certain areas - they too should take some responsibility and not instill fear IMO.

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Here's what the CDC has posted regarding what it's doing and what communities and individuals should do to prepare:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

If you need certain meds, better find out if they or necessary ingredients for them are coming from China. If so, you need to talk to doctor about getting at least a 90 day supply to put aside.
    I was just going through all of my emails and got this "chain mail" forwarded by my Dad! I sure hope things never get as drastic here in the US, compared to millions being under martial law over there and people dying left and right, and China handles it like national secrecy.

But yeah, if/when anything shits the fan over here, it may very well be wise to grab some crap.

-

This is only from one source living in China, but it is still something we need to be prepared for and pay attention.

Just received this note from a retired Special Forces soldier living in China.

TL/DR: big impact coming on medical supplies, vitamins, and drugs. Stock up now.

Hi all. So the Corona Virus has shut down all of East and Central China and is now moving across other countries in Asia. This is going to have deep and almost immediate effects on goods and products that are for sale in the US, on everything from auto parts to zippers.

Of greatest concern for now is what it will do to supplies of medical equipment and drugs, everything from band aids and cotton swabs and vitamins and prescription drugs of all kinds.

Also, protective gear like face masks and hazmat suits. I strongly advise that you prepare your families accordingly, and consider begin stocking up on some of these items that will be in very high demand, very soon.

China makes of 90% of the drug ingredients and about 80% of the medical supplies used in the United States, and right now, nobody in China is making them at all.

I have been living in China for eight years and am on Wechat (a social networking app) with about 800 expatriate business executives across China. The economy here no longer exists, basically. It’s been closed for 3 weeks, and nobody really knows when the manufacturing sector or any of the factories will reopen.

Martial law has been declared in eight provinces with a total population of 500 million people, and the rest of us outside these zones have had our movements proscribed to going out to get groceries once every two days.

Army and police in the Eastern provinces (where most of the industry is) are arresting people who are outside their homes, though even that isn’t as effective as before because now so many military and police units are infected and unable to function.

There are very few flights available in; the roads and ports are closed, railroads shut down. Even if a factory owner can get permission to open, his workers aren’t allowed to move, and he can’t ship product out. This will go on for an indeterminate period.

For the kinds of drugs and supplies I’ve mentioned above, the export markets will not be getting any new production for many weeks. These supplies and medicines are in critical and desperate supply here and the Chinese government has ordered local governments to procure whatever is necessary from factories and shops.

The true numbers of the infected and dead are many orders of magnitude higher than the official accounts, which nobody really believes anymore.

A quick note about care or aid packages: in the event you have churches or friends here in Asia who ask you to send them medical supplies, those packages will likely never arrive to where you had hoped. The customs officials have been ordered to seize any medical supplies for use in hospitals.

Even passengers arriving in airports are having their carry-on bags and stowed luggage searched for masks, respirators, rain gear (no kidding)—anything that could be used by hospital staff to protect themselves from what they’re dealing with—and it’s being confiscated.

With respect to the disease itself, I don’t think this disease can be stopped anything short of supernatural means. Infections continue to soar, even under military-enforced quarantines that have been in place for almost a month. You have to see the Army response here to believe it, and yet nothing has worked.

You mercifully haven’t had many cases there, yet, but I fear that you’re just six or seven weeks behind where we are in China, and four to five weeks behind Japan. Only a miracle can stop it, and that’s what we need to be praying for. If you're a man or woman of faith, get some more. If at some point you left it or lost it, go back to where you saw it last, and pick it up again.

All the best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Jim, I'm not surprised. Suddenly those that were all concerned that this was no more than the flu, saw conspiracies behind it all, now consider themselves experts.

The president is supposed to address some of this tonight, 6pm est. I'll be at work. I hope he walks the fine line between being concerned and calm. The CDC posted some basic guidelines, I posted above.

The truth is, nothing is happening here tomorrow. It could be a year, though not likely. It's about being aware and hopefully making a few changes that become habits. These changes would help mitigate and buy time, which I wrote about yesterday.

As I said, I've been learning for more than a month, I'm mostly surprised that others haven't done the math and realized the wide swath so quickly cut.

14. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default 83 In Nassau County, NY Being Monitored/Tested In Voluntary Isolation

One is showing symptoms according to 'breaking news.'

https://abc7ny.com/health/coronaviru...on-li/5969274/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

2 days ago, AU told their people to get prepared, stockpile food and medicine, while they are readily available. Gee, who'd have thought?

https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...f8592ccb572d13

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Our government now saying to lay in at least 2 weeks worth of food, medicine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...il-if-n1144351

We probably have a bit more than a week's worth of food, remember I'm in an apartment. Going to get some rice, noodles, canned goods above our usual. Neither of us are huge meat eaters, so I guess I'll just pick up some tuna and ground turkey that I can repackage into thin packs.

Now is the time, when supplies are still in good shape. As the article says supplies may get short by mid-April. There are the preppers-they are already ready and armed. There are those that move when a threat seems immediate-the hoarders. Then there are those who have no recourse when it's all gone-they will do what they can to get it from those that have it.