Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Dental appointment, scared to death!

So I finally have a dentist appointment for 2:30 tomorrow afternoon. I have no choice this time as my front tooth is pretty good and loose. My other front tooth is fake since I was 10 years old, thanks to my sister. That one has had a 'loose feeling' about it for like 15 years! I think my other dentist told me like 10 years ago or so that my bone was 'dropping down' or something like that. Basically, in the end, I believe bone loss altogether. So I figured I may as well get it over with and have them do both potentially. And quite frankly, I'm not exactly thrilled with the other 2, I guess the 'lateral incisors'? I dunno, see what the Doc says. And maybe either 4 individual implants or if possible maybe a bridge of sorts, so that it would be less implants. All I know is that I am a major scaredy cat when it comes to dental. I want to be knocked out and not feel a thing. Now way Jose, wake me when done! I can't stand even when they just stick the pokey little thing in there. Or hell, even the smell scares the crap out of me. I literally have anxiety about this. I have looked at like 60 doctors and practices online but have finally found someone I like, I think, and I was able to make the appointment online, like the coward I am!!

This is going to be very tough for me. I hate going to the dentist, hence the predicament I am in. But its now or never. Probably drop like 40 xanax before I go! Ok, maybe not. This will likely require a lengthy appointment in taking down information and taking Xrays and scans. And then plan for another appointment when they/he can do the work. So lucky me, at least 2 visits.

I just want to go to sleep and wake up done.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

You’ll wonder why you waited so long.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So I finally have a dentist appointment for 2:30 tomorrow afternoon. I have no choice this time as my front tooth is pretty good and loose. My other front tooth is fake since I was 10 years old, thanks to my sister. That one has had a 'loose feeling' about it for like 15 years! I think my other dentist told me like 10 years ago or so that my bone was 'dropping down' or something like that. Basically, in the end, I believe bone loss altogether. So I figured I may as well get it over with and have them do both potentially. And quite frankly, I'm not exactly thrilled with the other 2, I guess the 'lateral incisors'? I dunno, see what the Doc says. And maybe either 4 individual implants or if possible maybe a bridge of sorts, so that it would be less implants. All I know is that I am a major scaredy cat when it comes to dental. I want to be knocked out and not feel a thing. Now way Jose, wake me when done! I can't stand even when they just stick the pokey little thing in there. Or hell, even the smell scares the crap out of me. I literally have anxiety about this. I have looked at like 60 doctors and practices online but have finally found someone I like, I think, and I was able to make the appointment online, like the coward I am!!

This is going to be very tough for me. I hate going to the dentist, hence the predicament I am in. But its now or never. Probably drop like 40 xanax before I go! Ok, maybe not. This will likely require a lengthy appointment in taking down information and taking Xrays and scans. And then plan for another appointment when they/he can do the work. So lucky me, at least 2 visits.

Tell ya what man... I had an impacted wisdom tooth that was in at a 45 degree angle pulled at the VA not to long ago, and from start to finish I really didn't feel a thing. Before they began anything that would hurt, they slapped a huge Q-tip in my mouth by the tooth that pretty much deadened everything on it's own, so I could barely feel the Novocaine when they did that, and after that absolutely nothing. It didn't really even hurt after the Novocaine wore off either, even though they had a heck of time getting it out.

So don't worry too much man, if this dentist you found is half as good as the VA then you're not going to feel a thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Trust me my friend-- about 95% of our immense fear is totally unfounded.
    Necessary dental work is and will improve your health and is relatively painless.
    For me it is the intrusive nature of having any person reach into my mouth.
    As any unwanted touching is a big no-no-- on my personal list. After it is over you'll likely
    feel such a relief. The fear is always greatest before the storm- and often the so-called storm is just a very mild Spring shower.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Listen to everybody Jim...No Kidding.

Dentist's today have this CODE. Make every patient NOT FEEL A THING. Otherwise, many of them go out of business, or (not kidding) Dentists have the highest Suicide rates among Drs.

I can make you feel better, and help you remember THIS. After I came home from Operation Desert Storm, and my spinal surgeries. The medications began to loosen all of my teeth so much. I couldn't eat without some of them breaking. NO JOKE. A year after I retired. The VA had to PULL all of the 26 or so teeth I had left. SO...I WEAR FALSIES...and hate them. Be thankful you will have the rest of yours to eat with, and smile. If you feel DOWN....Think of Me...If you dare. GOOD LUCK.

I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

7. Thanks Abbey Marie, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

About 1 1/2 hours away and leaving in like 30 minutes. The place is a bit further away but worth it for a good dentist I guess.

So I don't know if he'll do anything today other than a scan and a peek inside and trying to determine a course of action. Hopefully he'll be able to see me and get started pretty quick after that so that I don't have to worry so much and can get back to eating properly. But didn't sleep well and the anxiety is through the roof today. Hopefully all goes well and he gives me an easy pathway to getting things fixed.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

9. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

About 1 1/2 hours away and leaving in like 30 minutes. The place is a bit further away but worth it for a good dentist I guess.

So I don't know if he'll do anything today other than a scan and a peek inside and trying to determine a course of action. Hopefully he'll be able to see me and get started pretty quick after that so that I don't have to worry so much and can get back to eating properly. But didn't sleep well and the anxiety is through the roof today. Hopefully all goes well and he gives me an easy pathway to getting things fixed.
    Don't worry brother, nowadays they have all kinds of goodies to make the entire ordeal virtually PAINLESS.

11. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    Dentist's today have this CODE. Make every patient NOT FEEL A THING. Otherwise, many of them go out of business, or (not kidding) Dentists have the highest Suicide rates among Drs.

I can make you feel better, and help you remember THIS. After I came home from Operation Desert Storm, and my spinal surgeries. The medications began to loosen all of my teeth so much. I couldn't eat without some of them breaking. NO JOKE. A year after I retired. The VA had to PULL all of the 26 or so teeth I had left. SO...I WEAR FALSIES...and hate them. Be thankful you will have the rest of yours to eat with, and smile. If you feel DOWN....Think of Me...If you dare. GOOD LUCK.
    I wear falsey's as well, pard. I didn't go to the dentist for like 25 years, but I knew I had all kinds of problems and after having so many painful tooth aches I broke down and went. They scraped on them for two days trying to get all the built up tartar off and I said enough. They had at least cleaned them pretty good at that point, but there was other work to be done and yes, I put it off for another couple years. Then a tooth BROKE OFF while I was eating and I'd had enough. I could tell people would recoil when I talked to them because of bad breath, and I knew that was due to bad things going on in my mouth, and I honestly felt it was making me feel sick. Knowing you can DIE from oral infections I went in again. They said my upper front teeth were pretty good, but the rest were trashed, so they recommended pulling them all because full dentures are easier to wear than partials, so, I did it, but I had oral surgery and was out for the whole thing. After that I had a couple really bad experiences with dentures and I was in a panic thinking they were ALL like that. So I looked up the BEST rated dental clinics for making dentures and money was NO OBJECT. Went to a place in Madison and the pair they made me was an absolute WORK OF ART, and I LOVE THEM. They fit SO WELL that minutes after I pop them in, I forget I'm wearing them, and I can eat ANYTHING with them, ANYTHING, and they use teeth that are exactly like natural teeth, not those ugly things that look like CHICKLETS. So I'm real happy with mine, not to mention the stellar big white PERFECT smile. They LOOK awesome as well as work perfect. I'd do exactly the same thing over given the chance.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-18-2020 at 01:33 PM.

13. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

To quote FDR: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Yes, I know a dental horror story, but it was once, and it was an infection above and beyond the routine dentist visit.

Matter of fact, yesterday, I got the the last crown replaced. The DT or whatever civilians call dental techs, just calls me a hardass, Old Corps Marine. Something she learned from her Marine SO. Went in yesterday to get the temp pulled and the permanent crown put on and they started in on me about novacaine. Gave 'em my most disdaining sneer. You aren't shooting me up with that crap so I can sit for 30 minutes for it to kick in so you can get in and out of my mouth in 3 minutes or less. Get to work. My sea story for the day

I spent the last 12 months and a good $10k fixing teeth. Nothing major. Mostly neglected maintenance. I walked in thinking man, they are going to pull every tooth out of my head I had one pulled that is in the queue for an implant (in the back so no hurry), and I think 4-5 crowns replaced.

Other than the pain in the butt juggling the babysitting, the hype of going to the dentist was a LOT more than any issue. The cost with insurance still sucked. I think we're trained from an early age to mind-f*ck ourselves before we ever get there. And dental nowadays is nowhere near as traumatic as it was when I was a kid and they still used hand-crank drills and tree saws
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

15. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    And dental nowadays is nowhere near as traumatic as it was when I was a kid and they still used hand-crank drills and tree saws
    NO SHIT... that's why I put off going to the dentist for so many years. My first experiences with the dentist were sitting there and getting the novocaine needle and it hurt like hell, (going to feel a little mosquito bite my ass), and then it never seemed to be enough because that old drill, DRIVEN BY BELTS, hurt like a sons a bitch too, EVERYTHING hurt, from start to frickin' finish and afterwards, so I had a complex about going to the dentist from an early age.

It's all different now though, even the novocaine, it's much better than the old stuff. They have novocaine that lasts up to 7 hours now.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-18-2020 at 04:47 PM.

17. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    NO SHIT... that's why I put off going to the dentist for so many years. My first experiences with the dentist were sitting there and getting the novocaine needle and it hurt like hell, (going to feel a little mosquito bite my ass), and then it never seemed to be enough because that old drill, DRIVEN BY BELTS, hurt like a sons a bitch too, EVERYTHING hurt, from start to frickin' finish and afterwards, so I had a complex about going to the dentist from an early age.

It's all different now though, even the novocaine, it's much better than the old stuff. They have novocaine that lasts up to 7 hours now.
    You got novacaine your first visit, huh? My dad wouldn't pay for it. Said it would teach me to brush my teeth I got my first 2 fillings sans novacaine.

I got two fillings in boot camp and turned down the novacaine. I didn't see me, a drill instructor and a mouth flopping all over my face going together in a manner to my liking

Military dentists suck. Especially at the recruit depots. They're as fresh out of school as you are and Uncle Sam is giving them a place to learn their trade.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

19. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

You got novacaine your first visit, huh? My dad wouldn't pay for it. Said it would teach me to brush my teeth I got my first 2 fillings sans novacaine.

I got two fillings in boot camp and turned down the novacaine. I didn't see me, a drill instructor and a mouth flopping all over my face going together in a manner to my liking

Military dentists suck. Especially at the recruit depots. They're as fresh out of school as you are and Uncle Sam is giving them a place to learn their trade.
    Ya got more guts than I do, brother.

I had my oral surgery at the VA Madison, and subsequent impacted wisdom tooth pulled. I thought they did a pretty good job. No complaints, and they had that huge Q-tip laced with something they slapped in my mouth before they even hit me with the novocaine needle, hardly felt a thing, and got the 7 hour novocaine so nothing hurt after that wore off either... much...

I never went to a military dentist on base in the 8 years I was active, and long after either, and it had been awhile before too... just a big CHICKEN...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-18-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Well @jimnyc , are ye alive? Or did you runaway with the hygienest?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

22. Likes Kathianne, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

To quote FDR: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Yes, I know a dental horror story, but it was once, and it was an infection above and beyond the routine dentist visit.

Matter of fact, yesterday, I got the the last crown replaced. The DT or whatever civilians call dental techs, just calls me a hardass, Old Corps Marine. Something she learned from her Marine SO. Went in yesterday to get the temp pulled and the permanent crown put on and they started in on me about novacaine. Gave 'em my most disdaining sneer. You aren't shooting me up with that crap so I can sit for 30 minutes for it to kick in so you can get in and out of my mouth in 3 minutes or less. Get to work. My sea story for the day

I spent the last 12 months and a good $10k fixing teeth. Nothing major. Mostly neglected maintenance. I walked in thinking man, they are going to pull every tooth out of my head I had one pulled that is in the queue for an implant (in the back so no hurry), and I think 4-5 crowns replaced.

Other than the pain in the butt juggling the babysitting, the hype of going to the dentist was a LOT more than any issue. The cost with insurance still sucked. I think we're trained from an early age to mind-f*ck ourselves before we ever get there. And dental nowadays is nowhere near as traumatic as it was when I was a kid and they still used hand-crank drills and tree saws
    I get teeth cleaned every 3 months. Insurance pays for 2 and I pay for 2. Knock-on-wood .... I've never had a root canal... do have 8 crowns and a bridge in front. Had tooth knocked out in teens. My mom had every tooth pulled when she was 34 and tried to wear dentures. They never fit so most of time she was toothless ... before she was 40. She had a gum disease and that was the solution back then. Scared the crap out of me so I see dentist frequently to keep things in good order.

Good luck Jim.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I get teeth cleaned every 3 months. Insurance pays for 2 and I pay for 2. Knock-on-wood .... I've never had a root canal... do have 8 crowns and a bridge in front. Had tooth knocked out in teens. My mom had every tooth pulled when she was 34 and tried to wear dentures. They never fit so most of time she was toothless ... before she was 40. She had a gum disease and that was the solution back then. Scared the crap out of me so I see dentist frequently to keep things in good order.

Good luck Jim.
    Both my sisters do the same, and they both have very nice teeth, not to mention my 85 year old Dad had all his teeth when he passed away, and my 91 year old mother still has all her teeth. So there's no doubt in my mind that the reason "I" don't have my teeth is because I didn't make frequent visits to the dentist.

I thought, well if I brush and floss every day I should be OK... aaaaahhh... nope...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 02-19-2020 at 09:10 AM.