Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Anyone else getting sick of hearing, "US has more deaths and infections than Italy." It's like saying, "NYC has more deaths than St. Louis!" Populations are in no way similar other than the fact they are both populated by humans.

I don't know is the whole of Western Europe has 300M people, but if so, then a fair comparison would be US and Western Europe when both are finished with rise and fall.
    All the media sources are jumping in on that and other statistics. They like selling doom and gloom

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Anyone else getting sick of hearing, "US has more deaths and infections than Italy." It's like saying, "NYC has more deaths than St. Louis!" Populations are in no way similar other than the fact they are both populated by humans.

I don't know is the whole of Western Europe has 300M people, but if so, then a fair comparison would be US and Western Europe when both are finished with rise and fall.
    I'm not sure myself. Pre-Brexit, I would've said 'yes'. Discounting the UK's 65 million + ... I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Drummond; 04-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I'm not sure myself. Pre-Brexit, I would've said 'yes'. Discounting the UK's 65 million + ... I'm not so sure.

Source gives pop. of 196,007,089 add UK per your number=261,007,089. Closer, with mostly similar health care

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

5. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Source gives pop. of 196,007,089 add UK per your number=261,007,089. Closer, with mostly similar health care
    Weird, Italy and Spain at least are missing, so probably getting close to apples and apples.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    All the media sources are jumping in on that and other statistics. They like selling doom and gloom
    The UK's 'Metro' newspaper (a freebie publication available at rail stations and on many buses, published for what once were rush-hour commuters) has come up with this:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/ny-se...aths-12534988/

NY sees more coronavirus diagnoses than any country on Earth and 799 more deaths

Nearly 800 New Yorkers died of coronavirus over the last 24-hours as the state has now confirmed more cases of the virus than any other country on Earth. At least 7,067 have been killed by Covid-19 across the state as of Thursday morning and over 151,000 have tested positive for the virus, Governor Andrew Cuomo said in his daily briefing. ‘We’ve lost over seven thousand lives through this crisis.That is so shocking and painful and breathtaking. I don’t even have the word’s for it,’ the governor said, while comparing the outbreak to 9/11, which saw 2,753 New Yorkers die.

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Weird, Italy and Spain at least are missing, so probably getting close to apples and apples.
    Bah, that map was whack, my bad.

Better: EU population:

About 1,150,000,000 results (0.84 seconds)

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

European Union/Population

446 million inhabitants

The EU covers over 4 million km² and has 446 million inhabitants - the world's third largest population after China and India.Feb 10, 2020

EU in figures | European Union

europa.eu › european-union › about-eu › figures › living_en

People also search for

United States
    328.2 million

Russia
    144.5 million

China
    1.386 billion

Last edited by Kathianne; 04-11-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

These reports on possible 'reactivation' have been circulating for at least a few days. This could be troubling or could be a testing problem-especially if they were China provided tests:
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/10/recove...ositive-again/

More recovered coronavirus patients in South Korea are testing positive again
    By Yaron SteinbuchApril 10, 2020

The number of people in South Korea who tested positive for the coronavirus for a second time after apparently recovering has risen to 91 — an increase of 40 from the 51 reported earlier this week, according to a report.

Jeong Eun-kyeong, head of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters that the virus may have been “reactivated” rather than the patients being reinfected, Reuters reported.

Health authorities in the country said epidemiological investigations were under way to figure out what is behind the disturbing trend — as many countries are hoping that people will develop sufficient immunity to prevent a resurgence of the pandemic.

“The number will only increase — 91 is just the beginning now,” said Kim Woo-joo, professor of infectious diseases at Korea University Guro Hospital, adding that patients had likely “relapsed” rather than been reinfected.

Enlarge ImageA man has his temperature checked during early voting for the April 15 general elections in Seoul, South Korea.
    A man has his temperature checked during early voting in the April 15 general elections in Seoul, South Korea.AP
    False test results also could be the cause, other experts said, or remnants of the virus could still be in people’s systems but not be infectious or of danger to the host or anyone else.

“There are different interpretations and many variables,” said Jung Ki-suck, professor of pulmonary medicine at Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital.

“The government needs to come up with responses for each of these variables,” Jung said.

12. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Kathianne...

I know it's not your fault, but even the map is wrong. Monaco is NOT that Island shown. Monaco is in the South of France. Been there. That Island marked Monaco is actually CORSICA. If they can't get even Maps correctly marked...Imagine how wrong most of the reporting is too!
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

14. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

These reports on possible 'reactivation' have been circulating for at least a few days. This could be troubling or could be a testing problem-especially if they were China provided tests:
    This suggests ... what ? That subtle mutations are creeping in, making immunity far harder to hang on to ? Or, that the body can't maintain what capacity for immunity it possesses ?

I wonder if this means that our societies are just stuck with Covid-19, unless scientists can come up with such a broad-spectrum vaccine that it meets all possible Covid variations ?

Anyway ... I've found this, suggesting plasma therapy as an answer:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coron...id=mailsignout

Doctors in the UK say they're increasingly frustrated the government has yet to approve trials for plasma therapy to help treat coronavirus patients.

The therapy involves extracting plasma from the blood of people who have recovered from the virus, and giving it to those who are critically ill.

The idea is that antibodies produced by patients who have had survived the virus will boost the immune systems of those who are trying to beat the disease.

Trials are already under way in other countries including China, France, Germany and the US but no decision has been made in the UK.

Dr Colin Hamilton-Davies leads the acute cardiac critical care unit at Bart's Hospital in London and has spent 30 years looking at this line of research.

He said lives could be saved if action is taken immediately.

"We have a national health service and blood service that is the envy of the world, we have a very substantially-sized department of blood transfusion, and for people harvesting blood plasma, we could step it up within a week.

"We could be administering it, not just to one or two people, but hundreds of patients."

There are no effective treatments for COVID-19 patients. Studies are under way into the use of antivirals and steroids, but many say the use of plasma therapy has yet to be adequately explored.

Dr Hamilton-Davies has written to Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab offering his expertise.
    Over-caution will be the death of us. Literally.
    Last edited by Drummond; 04-13-2020 at 03:34 PM.

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    This suggests ... what ? That subtle mutations are creeping in, making immunity far harder to hang on to ? Or, that the body can't maintain what capacity for immunity it possesses ?

I wonder if this means that our societies are just stuck with Covid-19, unless scientists can come up with such a broad-spectrum vaccine that it meets all possible Covid variations ?

Anyway ... I've found this, suggesting plasma therapy as an answer:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coron...id=mailsignout

Over-caution will be the death of us. Literally.
    That was my best guess on what would get us through till vaccine. However, it seems that those recovered do not have sufficient antibodies for the most part.

😜That together with reinfections is a bit baffling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

If found to be so, very troubling:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/sign...-search-futile

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default The Brits Are On The Case ........

.......... so, there !!!

The following report refers to TODAY. See:

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/uk-c...ancock-2545455

Human vaccine trials for Covid-19 will begin on Thursday, in a bid to make the UK the first country to create a drug to provide immunity against the disease, the Health Secretary announced.

Matt Hancock said human tests on a vaccine developed by Oxford University will start on Thursday, an outcome that would normally take “several years” to achieve.

The news marks a major breakthrough in the battle against coronavirus, and potentially offers the Government a way out of the crisis that has crippled the country.

Should the trials prove successful, the focus will turn to how the vaccine can be manufactured at scale to start treating the population and stop the spread of Covid-19.

Mr Hancock praised the speed at which scientists had worked on the vaccine trials, pointing out that reaching the stage of testing on humans would normally take considerably longer.

In normal times, reaching this stage would take years and I'm very proud of the work taken so far," he said, adding that both trials were "making rapid progress".

He went on: "At the same time, we will invest in manufacturing capability so that if either of these vaccines safely work, we can make it available for the British people as soon as humanely possible."

The Health Secretary said the Government would do “everything in our power” to support the work, and announced it will provide £20m in additional funding to help with clinical trials. A further £22.5m will be provided for trial of a second vaccine, at Imperial College, London.

Mr Hancock said the process for finding a vaccine would take “trial and error” but he has told UK scientists leading the search he would “back them to the hilt and give them every resource they need”.

"After all, this is a new disease, this is uncertain science but I'm certain we will throw everything we've got at developing a vaccine," he said.

"The UK is at the front of the global effort. We have put more money than any other country into a global search for a vaccine and, for all the efforts around the world, two of the leading vaccine developments are taking place here at home - at Oxford and Imperial.

"Both of these promising projects are making rapid progress and I've told the scientists leading them we will do everything in our power to support."
    So there we have it ... The Brits Are Pulling Their Finger(s) Out, and getting on with what needs to be done. Who knows ... the world's cure for Covid-19 may turn out to be a British one (?).

I can believe it. We are world leaders in cybersecurity issues, courtesy of GCHQ. We have leading virologists working at Porton Down (they proved beyond dispute EXACTLY where the toxin the Russians used in their attack on Salisbury, came from).

Now we have the Oxford people on the case.

Anyway -- this is the leading story in our news media, currently. Should be interesting to see what happens in the coming months (how's that for an understatement ?).
    Last edited by Drummond; 04-23-2020 at 12:17 PM.

20. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I hope they do it!

22. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post