Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

After watching multiple press conferences by the President and his team of experts telling us of all the things they are doing/coordinating to stop this virus (and it’s a lot), I see Schumer saying that Trump cares more about the stock market than he does about containing the virus.

I think steam was about coming out of my ears. Based on what? Because Trump is also talking about small business loans and payroll tax cuts to make sure people don’t lose their jobs because of the epidemic. What a jerk, right?

I truly loathe Schumer. And Pelosi, who was standing next to him, nodding in agreement.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Thanks NightTrain, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Post on facebook this morning by President Trump...

The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant. Surgeon General, “The risk is low to the average American.”
    All the democrats care about is TRASHING Trump, non stop, 24/7, and it's disgusting... but then, it's coming from very disgusting people.

4. Thanks NightTrain, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

There's always backfire.

It was Pelosi ripping up the SOTU speech that made me decide to vote for Trump, IF he doesn't do anything to make that impossible.

While the move to close US to China infected areas was brilliant, he has been very slow on advising that schools, businesses that can easily go on 'work from home,' etc, do so. Yes, I believe it's an attempt to prevent panic, but the fear of lack of information-which IS out there, if one digs-has contributed to anxiety. Businesses would be impossibly stupid, which they are not, if they didn't notice the very real problems with supply chains. Again, the president has minimized, when he could have taken credit for 'seeing' the possible impact of such from even before he was elected. He could tout his steps in trying to bring those supply chains home or at least to allies.

With something like this, there's always the medical, the economic, and the political.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Info is important, as is taking steps on your own, as I know you have done, and as have I, to a little lesser extent. Russ has been working from home since last week, to protect me mainly.
    His company hasn’t made it policy to do so yet, but we are being proactive.

-Abbey

8. Likes NightTrain, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I didn't go to the auction today either, even though there were a few ornate, vintage oil lamps, and I collect them. I just decided I don't want to be a room with a bunch of people right now, not worth it. There'll be other auctions. I prefer the outside auctions anyway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Well this isn't good! Who wants to see guys in uniform over this!

But we are apparently up to 108 cases now. Yikeys. 173 in all of NY.

--

NY to Deploy National Guard to New Rochelle, Set Up Containment Area; Tri-State Cases Nearly Quadruple in Days

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced a slate of sweeping new directives Tuesday for Westchester County's New Rochelle, which he described as the "most significant cluster in the country" and accounts for the lion's share of the tri-state's surging caseload.

Those measures include deploying National Guard troops to a Health Department command post and setting up a satellite testing facility and one-mile containment area in the city. To date, Westchester County has seen 108 confirmed COVID-19 cases; that's 58 percent of all tri-state cases.

New Rochelle is home to the midtown Manhattan lawyer who has been linked to dozens of cases across multiple states. He was the second confirmed case in the state and its first instance of community spread.

There have since been fresh instances of community spread, including in New York City, which Cuomo said added more than a dozen new cases overnight. Overall, the state of New York sits at 173 confirmed cases, trailing only Washington state (179) as America's most impacted state.

Meanwhile, school closings, community event cancellations and other fallout from the virus are expanding as officials work to contain the spread.

Asked Tuesday whether New York City's iconic St. Patrick's Day Parade, scheduled for next week should be canceled out of caution, Cuomo said officials are still assessing the situation. But it's possible.

"You calibrate your response to the time and the facts and the circumstances in that place at that time," Cuomo said on CNN. "So parades, etc. we look at that on a daily basis."

Rest - https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-days/2319688/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I honestly didn't go back and look - but did all of you see that Italy has quarantined their ENTIRE country!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

13. Likes SassyLady, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Well this isn't good! Who wants to see guys in uniform over this!

But we are apparently up to 108 cases now. Yikeys. 173 in all of NY.

--

NY to Deploy National Guard to New Rochelle, Set Up Containment Area; Tri-State Cases Nearly Quadruple in Days

Rest - https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-days/2319688/
    Holy CRAP... so is this thing still going to BLOW UP or what?

Are we all in for a wild ride?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Holy CRAP... so is this thing still going to BLOW UP or what?

Are we all in for a wild ride?
    I dunno, but getting much worse and much quicker than I thought around these parts. I don't know how all those cases break up and specifically where, but the so called "epicenter" is less than a few miles from me. How many for sure were infected? How many did they pass it to? How many out there are not tested yet? How many don't know yet perhaps, and may be touching crap all over? That's worst case I suppose. But it's growing daily, and I can only assume that the borders of the infected zone are only going to grow larger.

And my fear is that what was brought in for help, will ultimately be used for keeping folks in and out.

16. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

As China is out there testing 20,000+ per day - the United States as a whole has thus far tested 6,500? WTF is wrong with this picture? What is the hold up I wonder?

Only 6,563 Americans have been tested for the coronavirus so far

Despite vows to drastically expand the coronavirus testing regime, federal and state public health authorities have tested only 6,563 people for the coronavirus as of Tuesday morning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and numbers provided by all 50 states.

That count includes people tested by the federal government and by state laboratories. Because those laboratories may not always report people who tested negative for the coronavirus, the true number of people tested is probably somewhat higher.

Confusion about that exact number persists even at the highest reaches government. Earlier on Tuesday, Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said he couldn’t provide the figure. “We don’t know exactly how many because hundreds of thousands of our tests have gone out to private labs and hospitals that currently do not report in to CDC,” he said in a CNN appearance.

That number stands in stark contrast to the promises made by leading members of the Trump administration’s coronavirus task force, who have variously asserted that 75,000 people would be tested by last week’s end and that laboratories across the United States would have the capacity to conduct 1.5 million tests by the beginning of this week.

Rest - https://news.yahoo.com/only-5000-ame...151447195.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

As China is out there testing 20,000+ per day - the United States as a whole has thus far tested 6,500? WTF is wrong with this picture? What is the hold up I wonder?

Only 6,563 Americans have been tested for the coronavirus so far

Despite vows to drastically expand the coronavirus testing regime, federal and state public health authorities have tested only 6,563 people for the coronavirus as of Tuesday morning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and numbers provided by all 50 states.

That count includes people tested by the federal government and by state laboratories. Because those laboratories may not always report people who tested negative for the coronavirus, the true number of people tested is probably somewhat higher.

Confusion about that exact number persists even at the highest reaches government. Earlier on Tuesday, Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said he couldn’t provide the figure. “We don’t know exactly how many because hundreds of thousands of our tests have gone out to private labs and hospitals that currently do not report in to CDC,” he said in a CNN appearance.

That number stands in stark contrast to the promises made by leading members of the Trump administration’s coronavirus task force, who have variously asserted that 75,000 people would be tested by last week’s end and that laboratories across the United States would have the capacity to conduct 1.5 million tests by the beginning of this week.

Rest - https://news.yahoo.com/only-5000-ame...151447195.html
    Evidently something to do with not enough test kits even in existence.

So the next logical question is, what the hell is the hold up making and distributing them?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-10-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I honestly didn't go back and look - but did all of you see that Italy has quarantined their ENTIRE country!
    Yep. Meaning, we're back to the scenarios of whether countries will consider sending planes to rescue their citizens, trapped in Italy.

Listening to a report just minutes ago, apparently the Italian authorities are going to the lengths of issuing permits to people which will give them PERMISSION to travel any appreciable distance by car, which drivers must have with them at all times, subject to ad-hoc checks by police. They warn that attempts to forge the documents will lead to prosecution & a possible jail term.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

20. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

US seriously screwed up testing, it continues.

Skeptics say that the President doesn't want the 'numbers' that come with testing, they will jump hugely.

Others say that the US just wanted to use their own test, assuming superiority.

Why it continues? Everyone wants to know the answer.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

@jimnyc , do you know if that lawyer had been in China?

-Abbey

23. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    @jimnyc , do you know if that lawyer had been in China?
    Nope, but he did travel to Israel and also Miami, so someone else transferred it to him from somewhere, and no one will likely ever know for sure.

The Department of Health has an unknown amount of tests. Last I heard some places needed to call them and then get the folks to come test or get kits. If anyone has them, get them out. If not, mass produce them and get them out. WHO all the way down to the dept. of health, down to hospitals and doctors offices, the medical community from the very top needs to start answering some basic questions and keep folks informed as to when things can be expected. IMO, the health side of our country has done a horrible job so far in getting information out, and getting out mixed information.