Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Can't Britain decided what to do with it's own borders since BREXIT?
    Consider the timing involved, with 31st January the cutoff date.

It would've been possible for an infected European to get to our shores in the final days before 31st January, incubate the virus without symptoms appearing before mid-February, spreading it around during that time ... and, symptoms among our own people would only be appearing, NOW.

As of yet, we've had two cases out of the known 35 where our people must've contracted the virus within the UK. They've only just appeared AS cases to consider. [Which fits the pattern, I'd say ....]

The others are all our own people, UK citizens, returning to the UK from virus hotspots such as Italy, Iran, Singapore, some from China. Our biggest problem to date has been whether our own citizens are returning here, infected.

BUT ... as for what we can now do with our borders, well, we're going through a transition period between Brexit Day and working out what our precise form of relationship with Europe, in future, will be. So this isn't quite as cut-and-dried an issue as you'd think it would be !!

See this ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting...k-after-brexit

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen ... what you’ll need to enter the UK will not change until at least 2021.

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens can continue to travel to the UK for holidays or short-term trips, without needing a visa.

You’ll need to show a valid passport or a national identity card if you’re a citizen of either:

an EU country

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland

There will be no change to travel document requirements this year. We may stop accepting national ID cards for entry to the UK for EEA and Swiss citizens after 2020. We’ll announce further details, including the date for this change, in advance to allow travellers good time to plan their trips.
    In any case, the 'free movement of people across the EU' basically refers to the right any EU citizen had to go to work in another EU country, or to go and live in another EU country. Citizens of EU member countries can treat other EU Member State countries as though they were their own. People can still travel here as easily as before, as tourists (except for showing a passport; necessary now, not necessary before Brexit).

The real issue is whether our people are willing to close our borders to EU people. So far, our Government has shown no willingness to do that ... all they do is issue warnings about the countries WE are advised not to visit.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-01-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Consider the timing involved, with 31st January the cutoff date.

It would've been possible for an infected European to get to our shores in the final days before 31st January, incubate the virus without symptoms appearing before mid-February, spreading it around during that time ... and, symptoms among our own people would only be appearing, NOW.

As of yet, we've had two cases out of the known 35 where our people must've contracted the virus within the UK. They've only just appeared AS cases to consider. [Which fits the pattern, I'd say ....]

The others are all our own people, UK citizens, returning to the UK from virus hotspots such as Italy, Iran, Singapore, some from China. Our biggest problem to date has been whether our own citizens are returning here, infected.

BUT ... as for what we can now do with our borders, well, we're going through a transition period between Brexit Day and working out what our precise form of relationship with Europe, in future, will be. So this isn't quite as cut-and-dried an issue as you'd think it would be !!

See this ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting...k-after-brexit

In any case, the 'free movement of people across the EU' basically refers to the right any EU citizen had to go to work in another EU country, or to go and live in another EU country. Citizens of EU member countries can treat other EU Member State countries as though they were their own. People can still travel here as easily as before, as tourists (except for showing a passport; necessary now, not necessary before Brexit).

The real issue is whether our people are willing to close our borders to EU people. So far, our Government has shown no willingness to do that ... all they do is issue warnings about the countries WE are advised not to visit.
    China is now claiming that the number of infected people is going DOWN, but I posted an article above that states the "cured" victims are testing POSITIVE for the virus still... what a mess.

I wonder how bad it will have to get in Europe before they realize that your open borders agenda is going to have to be suspended?

4. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Hopefully Brexit wasn’t too late.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I wouldn't listen to a thing China says. Their pollution is the lowest in decades and has been falling since mid-December-meaning that is when enough of their factories were closed or slowed down enough to make drastic differences.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

If catching this coronavirus isn't bad enough to think about catching it form other people, what about money, or something you ordered online? It just gets worse and worse...

-------------------------------

How long can the new coronavirus last on surfaces?

Some coronaviruses can linger on surfaces for up to 9 days.

China's central bank is taking steps to deep clean and even destroy its cash out of fears that the new coronavirus can survive on the surface of money and potentially spread, according to CNN.

But how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don't know. But if this new coronavirus resembles other human coronaviruses, such as its "cousins" that cause SARS and MERS, it can stay on surfaces — such as metal, glass or plastic — for as long as nine days, according to a new study. (In comparison, flu viruses can last on surfaces for only about 48 hours.)

In the new study, researchers analyzed several dozen previously published papers on human coronaviruses (other than the new coronavirus) to get a better idea of how long they can survive outside of the body. The authors found that these coronaviruses can linger on surfaces for over a week but that some of them don't remain active for as long at temperatures higher than 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius). The authors also found that these coronaviruses can be effectively wiped away by household disinfectants.

https://www.livescience.com/how-long...-surfaces.html
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-02-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I just have a GUT FEELING that this going to get a LOT worse before it gets better. I don't think we have any real idea how many cases there are because we don't have enough test kits, and we have no real idea how many people are infected that aren't showing symptoms yet, or not showing any at all but are carrying and spreading the virus. We're behind in this game, we're still playing catch up. Not enough test kits, people coming and going from foreign countries and not being checked, the virus found in a Post Office, and how much infected stuff did that person touch that got sent out?

IDK... it all just adds up to one incredible bad mess. I can see grocery store shelves going bare because of quarantines, pockets of shear panic and people getting a little crazy, and I mean around the globe. I don't think all our societies are ready for a financial catastrophe, or food supply interruption, or any type of deliveries, I think one will run into the other and effect it and the whole thing will suffer a cascading failure, and if it does... well... no one will be laughing at those stupid preppers anymore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    China is now claiming that the number of infected people is going DOWN, but I posted an article above that states the "cured" victims are testing POSITIVE for the virus still... what a mess.
    Interesting, because, if China's claim was actually correct, it would point to the widely accepted status quo as to where it all originated, being true. Viruses have a certain life / potency expectancy, after which they decline and (hopefully) disappear. So if China is experiencing that decline, this points to China as being the source .. which wouldn't help certain conspiracy theories ?

I wonder how bad it will have to get in Europe before they realize that your open borders agenda is going to have to be suspended?
    I think it'll go this way: the EU considers it doctrinally sacrosanct to maintain the 'open borders' diktat. After all, they want to sell it as a 'We're all united, we're all chums, we as the EU are one entity only' state of affairs. The psychology behind maintaining that will, from the EU's point of view (i.e those running the whole edifice), be an invaluable necessity just to help instill the 'unity' thinking. They'll never abandon it if they can help it.

For now .. as countries know new infections and see these skyrocket in the coming weeks ... they'll put territories into lockdown, or close borders, but they'll see it as a temporary measure that's forced upon them. The longer-term lesson necessary to best safeguard their citizens (to say nothing of everybody else) will NOT be learned.

The control-freaking heart of the EU's hierarchy will see to that.

Indeed ... they might even argue an opposite proposition, one in line with their eventual objective. They could say, 'If all Member States are prepared to see the EU as just one entity, and forget nationalistic divisions (e.g their very national identity !), we can better coordinate future responses to virus outbreaks, if ONLY they all surrender power to the Almighty EU Parliament.'

Where you've got Leftie-inspired fanaticism, you'll never see realism take hold, if it can possibly be denied. Power is more important to them than that.

That's what I think. I'm sure I'll be proved right. The EU, having established doctrine, will never surrender it.

12. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Interesting, because, if China's claim was actually correct, it would point to the widely accepted status quo as to where it all originated, being true. Viruses have a certain life / potency expectancy, after which they decline and (hopefully) disappear. So if China is experiencing that decline, this points to China as being the source .. which wouldn't help certain conspiracy theories ?

I think it'll go this way: the EU considers it doctrinally sacrosanct to maintain the 'open borders' diktat. After all, they want to sell it as a 'We're all united, we're all chums, we as the EU are one entity only' state of affairs. The psychology behind maintaining that will, from the EU's point of view (i.e those running the whole edifice), be an invaluable necessity just to help instill the 'unity' thinking. They'll never abandon it if they can help it.

For now .. as countries know new infections and see these skyrocket in the coming weeks ... they'll put territories into lockdown, or close borders, but they'll see it as a temporary measure that's forced upon them. The longer-term lesson necessary to best safeguard their citizens (to say nothing of everybody else) will NOT be learned.

The control-freaking heart of the EU's hierarchy will see to that.

Indeed ... they might even argue an opposite proposition, one in line with their eventual objective. They could say, 'If all Member States are prepared to see the EU as just one entity, and forget nationalistic divisions (e.g their very national identity !), we can better coordinate future responses to virus outbreaks, if ONLY they all surrender power to the Almighty EU Parliament.'

Where you've got Leftie-inspired fanaticism, you'll never see realism take hold, if it can possibly be denied. Power is more important to them than that.

That's what I think. I'm sure I'll be proved right. The EU, having established doctrine, will never surrender it.
    Well... I wish you all the best over, and hope that maybe credence will be given to any voices of reason that may rise up to counter the embedded leftist thinking, which just might get a lot of you killed if followed.

14. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

San Antonio mayor declares public health emergency after CDC officials mistakenly released a coronavirus quarantined patient: “We will hold them accountable”

----------------------

Officials in San Antonio, Texas, were furious with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday after the agency ‘mistakenly’ released a patient who had been quarantined for having contracted the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19).

Mayor Ron Nirenberg, in declaring a health emergency, blasted the agency for its negligence, calling it “unacceptable” and vowing to hold officials “accountable.”

“We will hold the CDC accountable to providing complete transparency for the public,” Nirenberg said in a statement a day earlier in a Facebook post.

According to the Austin-American Statesman, the mayor said that the patient had been quarantined and fully treated after contracting the virus. He also noted that after treatment the patient twice tested negative for the virus and thus was discharged from the Texas Center for Infectious Disease in San Antonio before a third test came back positive.

The patient — a woman, according to CNBC — “was among the 91 Americans evacuated from Wuhan and placed in federal, 14-day quarantine at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.”

The Statesman said that the patient has since been returned to the facility and will undergo additional monitoring and testing. And of course, it’s likely that anyone the patient came in contact with will also now have to be quarantined and monitored.

“The fact that the CDC allowed the public to be exposed to a patient with a positive COVID-19 reading is unacceptable,” Nirenberg said in a statement. “This incident is exactly why we have been asking for federal officials to accept the guidance of our local medical community.”

In a separate statement, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said, “we will not experience the consequence of no action,” noting further that letters sent to the CDC raising new concerns about monitoring of suspected coronavirus patients and their quarantine procedures have thus far gone unanswered.

Declaring an emergency is no small thing.

The San Antonio declaration comes following a similar designation by Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee (D) after a man died from the virus, becoming the first in the nation to perish from the outbreak. The male victim was in his 50s and did have underlying health problems, but thus far health officials have determined he did had no history of travel or contact with anyone else who is known to have had the virus.

The San Antonio Express-News noted further that Nirenberg’s emergency declaration also orders all evacuees currently under quarantine to remain there for the time being.

And local ABC affiliate KXXV reported:

Mayor Nirenberg has declared that those who have been quarantined at Lackland will not be able to ingress into and travel through the City of San Antonio. Previously quarantined people will also not be allowed to enter San Antonio until further notice.

The state of disaster and public health emergency will last seven days unless continued or renewed by the San Antonio City Council.

One of the big mysteries about the coronavirus has been its ability to re-infect patients who contract it once. The re-infection rate is only about 14 percent or so, according to a report by Natural News, but that is still significant enough to cause health officials on the local and national level some problems, obviously.

It should be noted that the imposition of a state of emergency is no small thing, whether it’s done on a national level or on a state or local level. Not only do such declarations provide governing officials with extra powers, but such declarations inevitably a) cause people some extra jitters; b) cost communities extra funds that could have been put to use elsewhere; and c) can impinge on freedoms.

It’s unclear how long the San Antonio emergency declaration will last or others that are being imposed at various locations around the country. But what is clear is that the virus is becoming a bigger problem by the day.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-03-...ronavirus.html
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-02-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Hopefully Brexit wasn’t too late.
    Already covered in another post ... though the answer, to the extent it even applies, is 'probably yes, it was'.

Brexit, where movement of EU peoples was concerned, addressed the porous nature of borders. Specifically, it was concerned with foreigners from other Member States having as much freedom to come and work here, and to set up home here, as they would in their country of origin.

Where the Coronavirus is concerned, it doesn't make much difference, Abbey. Tourism is still happening. The only real difference is that EU people wave their passports at our officials ... & that's basically it ! People are still entering our country.

In any event, our own citizens are returning from countries badly affected. Advice given ... go home, self-isolate if you think you're at high risk from having contracted it.

I heard a report a couple of days ago about a Brit returning here via Heathrow Airport, London. She approached an airport staff member to ask where she reports to, to get herself screened. The staff member looked at her blankly. There was NOBODY for her to see, in that airport. She was just waved through passport control.

17. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Following a press conference today, we're a lot clearer, now, on Government thinking and approach over this virus, here in the UK.

They're thinking of this as needing a four-stage approach. Stage one is still in effect ... attempted containment. Confirmed cases as of now are 51 ... a jump of 11 from yesterday, and steep rises are expected in the days ahead. Still, until or unless this really takes off in a big way, containment remains the current strategy.

'Worst case scenario' for this virus, should all measures fail, is to expect up to 80 percent of the UK's citizens to contract the virus at some stage, the vast majority recovering from what'll be only mild symptoms. [For some reason as yet unexplained, our officials are convinced the 80% figure cannot or will not be exceeded.] At the other end of the scale, around 20% of our population may become too ill to work.

Our police forces may find themselves so stretched that only major crime is given any attention, with more minor crime deliberately ignored.

See:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4376921.html

Coronavirus latest: NHS to delay non-urgent care and police to drop low-priority cases in event of major outbreak. Emergency laws to tackle virus

Army on standby to help in outbreak

One in five 'may be too ill to work'

One in five employees may be too ill to work during a coronavirus outbreak this year, according to the Government’s battle plan which today put Britain on an unprecedented war footing against the growing threat.

It also disclosed that the police would be told to focus on “responding to serious crimes and maintaining public order” if the disease cuts through their ranks.

The Armed Forces will be on standby “to provide support to civil authorities if requested”.

The blueprint warns “there could well be an increase in deaths arising from the outbreak, particularly among vulnerable and elderly groups”.

Town halls are working on how to deal with a surge in funerals, including the need to keep bodies in storage if the system is overwhelmed.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-03-2020 at 09:45 AM.

19. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

UK confirmed cases update: we now have 85 of them, an increase of 32 since yesterday.

29 of those 32 are people who had returned from abroad, from Corona virus 'hotspot' countries.

We're doing 'comparatively well' compared to Italy, Germany, France (so far). That said ....

... our Government has a 'resource' they call 'Cobra meetings'. Cobra is a designation of a meeting attended by key figures, its purpose being to address whatever emergency or severe security issue the UK faces at any one time. Decisions / plans of action / emergency powers are decided by these meetings. We're told that Boris is calling an emergency Cobra meeting at 5pm, GMT, in response to the steep increase in cases here in the UK over the past day.

21. Thanks Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So yesterday the latest was someone came up positive for the virus in "Westchester County" New York. Yikes, I live in Westchester, so I quickly looked up WHERE in the county when I got back home, and the updates said he is from New Rochelle - which is the town next to me, and one I am in daily! All the stores, since my neighborhood is lame, are about a mile south in New Ro as we call it around here. The closed a synagogue and 3 schools that his kid was associated with... AND said he apparently took the Metro North train to that town's exit. Which my wife takes daily and stops there coming and going.

A little too close to home for my liking.

I'm walking with paper towels to open doors and press buttons, and have little mini bottles of Purell. Also washing thoroughly whenever I get back home.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

23. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Just noticed the story on Drudge

My wife in NYC daily makes me nervous.

---

Coronavirus Update: Westchester County Man In Serious Condition; Synagogue, Schools Closed As Precaution

NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Hundreds of people who may have been exposed to coronavirus in New York have been told to self quarantine.

The warning comes after a Westchester County man tested positive for the disease.

The man is 50 and lives in New Rochelle but works as an attorney at Lewis and Garbuz, P.C. in Manhattan. He’s a member of Young Israel of New Rochelle. Five hundred to 700 people who attended services there must quarantine themselves at home.

Meanwhile, the death toll from coronavirus is rising in Washington State. Nine people are now confirmed dead there.

The quarantine order is massively disruptive for the faith community in New Rochelle’s north end. New York ordered Young Israel to halt all services, and people who worshiped there on Saturday Feb. 22 or attended a bat mitzvah and/or a funeral there on Feb. 23 must self-quarantine until March 8.

Rest - https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/03...unnity-spread/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Shit, now this

---

Family and Neighbor of NYC Attorney Also Test Positive for COVID-19, Taking State to 6 Cases

The wife, son, daughter and neighbor of a midtown Manhattan lawyer who has been hospitalized in critical condition since being diagnosed with the novel coronavirus have now also tested positive, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.

The son, a student at Yeshiva University in Manhattan, had been symptomatic prior to his father's hospitalization. No details on the son's condition were immediately available. The school said it canceled all in-person graduate courses on the campus as well as the boys' high school. Read the full statement and guidance from Yeshiva University here.

The Westchester father also has a daughter who attends SAR Academy and High School in the Bronx. School administrators voluntarily shut down the facility as a precaution. The neighbor who is now ill drove the Westchester man prior to his hospitalization.

"By definition the more people you test the more people you will find who test positive," Cuomo said at an Albany news conference.

The Westchester man, identified Tuesday as a New Rochelle resident in his 50s who has previous respiratory issues, had not traveled to areas associated with the nexus of the novel coronavirus outbreak and was considered to be the state's first instance of person-to-person spread. He is still in intensive care as of Wednesday morning.

Rest - https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...tests/2311723/