Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Now sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a great link to a map of this virus. It's searchable and can be broken down.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So yesterday the latest was someone came up positive for the virus in "Westchester County" New York. Yikes, I live in Westchester, so I quickly looked up WHERE in the county when I got back home, and the updates said he is from New Rochelle - which is the town next to me, and one I am in daily! All the stores, since my neighborhood is lame, are about a mile south in New Ro as we call it around here. The closed a synagogue and 3 schools that his kid was associated with... AND said he apparently took the Metro North train to that town's exit. Which my wife takes daily and stops there coming and going.

A little too close to home for my liking.

I'm walking with paper towels to open doors and press buttons, and have little mini bottles of Purell. Also washing thoroughly whenever I get back home.
    I don't blame you ! You can't be too careful.

Here in the UK, on a more personal level ... someone who helps manage the living complex I reside at, made a trip to London a few weeks ago. She intended to visit the Tutankhamun exhibition at the Saatchi Galleries, just off of the Kings Road, Chelsea. To get there from Wales, she took a train to Paddington, travelled by Tube on the Circle Line to Sloane Square station, and visited the exhibition.

Unknown to her at the time, the first confirmed London case was reported for the Queen Elizabeth II Conference centre, situated close to Westminster Tube station ... just 3 stations along on the Circle Line, I think. Distance as the crow flies ... around 1.5 to 2 miles.

[I happen to know that conference centre ... I was there in 2014, representing my Office ..]

So, I told this person about her 'close shave' ... when I was able to. Fortunately, she's had no symptoms, and is now well past the incubation period.

We're given basic advice ... wash your hands frequently with warm-hot water, using soap. Failing this, use hand-gels designed for anti-viral cleansing ... alcohol based. Needless to say, these gels are virtually impossible to get, here, now ... people are panic-buying whenever they can.

I've had to draw on the American wing of Amazon to get my own supplies in of gel (I saw 'Purell' listed ... it's not one we see sold on the UK market). Order pending !

Other measures ... I've got myself a couple of large bottles of Isopropryl liquid, because of its high alcohol content, and I'm using them for surface wipes (70%-99% alcohol content, depending on the type you obtain).

I've also bought some bars of soap that include certain oils. Oils such as Neem, Laurel oil (usually matched with Aleppo soap), Tea Tree ... these are all thought to have anti-viral properties. Seems to me that soap containing them, might do a better job than those without ?

Maybe the oils themselves would be worth obtaining, if available.

A tip: if Isopropryl turns out to be difficult to get ... AND, if someone in your household uses a Braun shaver cleaned with their cleaning cartridges ... the liquid in them is formulated similarly to Isopropryl. So, in an emergency ... using unused cartridges might be an idea ...

If nothing else, they will guarantee some healthy shaves ..

Here in Wales ... so far as I know, only ONE confirmed case has come to light .. that was days ago (England accounts for most of those reported throughout the UK). I daresay that'll change radically in the days ahead.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-04-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yep, one in Wisconsin.

They say those masks will not help you prevent catching it. They're saying the masks are more for people WITH the virus to slow down spreading it.

Also heard that NoKo was finally reporting a case, and that the person was shot and burned. Yep, aren't ya lucky you don't live in NoKo?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-04-2020 at 11:44 AM.

6. Likes jimnyc, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Also heard that NoKo was finally reporting a cases, and that the person was shot and burned. Yep, aren't ya lucky you don't live in NoKo?
    ... Seriously ??

Wow. I hope our UK media don't get hold of that story .. it'll delight our Left wing propagandists, who like to paint America as savage and uncivilised. The anti-gun lobby (do we even need one, here ??) will have a field day with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    ... Seriously ??

Wow. I hope our UK media don't get hold of that story .. it'll delight our Left wing propagandists, who like to paint America as savage and uncivilised. The anti-gun lobby (do we even need one, here ??) will have a field day with it.
    I don't know how your anti gun lobby would spin that against guns though, since it wasn't NoKo citizens that shot and burned the person, it was the NoKo GOVERNMENT.

Kind of makes the case citizens SHOULD have guns, not shouldn't...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-04-2020 at 11:47 AM.

9. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

... Seriously ??

Searched and found mentions on the MSM, and this story of at least him being executed for leaving home! Like I said, if you search you will find much of this story, I just chose this source was all.

KIM’S CORONA CRACKDOWN North Korea deals with coronavirus by EXECUTING patient who ditched quarantine to go to public bath

NORTH Korea has brutally executed a coronavirus patient for going out in public, reports claim.

Kim Jong-un's dictatorship is dealing with the virus with an iron fist after the man was put to his death for dodging quarantine to go to a public bath.

The patient was arrested by officers and immediately shot as the country takes sickening measures to avoid the killer outbreak spreading.

South Korean Dong-a Ilbo newspaper reported that the man - a government official - had been placed in isolation after travelling to China.

Kim Jong-un imposed military law to enforce a lockdown to combat the virus despite not experiencing any confirmed cases.

Rest - https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/109581...virus-patient/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks Drummond, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

UK confirmed cases update: we now have 85 of them, an increase of 32 since yesterday.

29 of those 32 are people who had returned from abroad, from Corona virus 'hotspot' countries.

We're doing 'comparatively well' compared to Italy, Germany, France (so far). That said ....

... our Government has a 'resource' they call 'Cobra meetings'. Cobra is a designation of a meeting attended by key figures, its purpose being to address whatever emergency or severe security issue the UK faces at any one time. Decisions / plans of action / emergency powers are decided by these meetings. We're told that Boris is calling an emergency Cobra meeting at 5pm, GMT, in response to the steep increase in cases here in the UK over the past day.
    UK total increased by another two, following a report from Northern Ireland ... both cases live there. Total now 87.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I don't know how your anti gun lobby would spin that against guns though, since it wasn't NoKo citizens that shot and burned the person, it was the NoKo GOVERNMENT.

Kind of makes the case citizens SHOULD have guns, not shouldn't...

I take your point. But instead of being taken up by anti-gun people, it'd instead be taken up by those against Capital Punishment.

The UK hasn't allowed the death penalty for several decades ... and in fact, we don't even permit extraditions to the US if it could lead to a death sentence for the 'accused'.

Our Lefties will still consider that they've ample material to launch a fresh 'anti-America' sentiment.

I don't have such qualms. I'm in favour of executions where the culpability for a deserving action is beyond dispute.

14. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I take your point. But instead of being taken up by anti-gun people, it'd instead be taken up by those against Capital Punishment.

The UK hasn't allowed the death penalty for several decades ... and in fact, we don't even permit extraditions to the US if it could lead to a death sentence for the 'accused'.

Our Lefties will still consider that they've ample material to launch a fresh 'anti-America' sentiment.

I don't have such qualms. I'm in favour of executions where the culpability for a deserving action is beyond dispute.
    Since I've had the chance to read your posts about the UK and Europe in general, I'll have to say, I had no clue it was THAT, LEFT, over there. I am rather surprised.

16. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

This is exactly why I wouldn't ever want to live in a city again. City people will be absolutely SCREWED in a true, 100%, SHTF situation...

-----------------

Coronavirus fears cause panic-buying among shoppers in Brooklyn and Queens in New York

Preppers know that disaster will strike when you least expect it, but they’re probably just as surprised as non-preppers were at how swiftly the coronavirus (COVID-19) has spread in America. Unfortunately, not everyone had the foresight to set up preps and a survival stockpile, which was proven when shoppers flocked to several stores in Brooklyn and Queens in New York on Monday.

Americans warned to start preparing for “domestic acceleration”

As reports confirmed that there are now 103 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the U.S., frightened shoppers across the country went into “panic buying” mode. Stores ran out of stock as buyers hoarded food and medical supplies. Over the weekend, various supplies flew off of store shelves as health officials confirmed that the first two patients in the country died because of coronavirus in Washington state.

Citizens started panic buying supplies once health authorities cautioned that the public must start preparing for “domestic acceleration of the virus.”

Over the weekend, videos showing shoppers in a frenzy to hoard bottled water, disinfectant wipes, sanitizer and toilet paper popped up all over social media. The shoppers were spotted from California to New York.

Other videos showed people lining up outside supermarkets in Brooklyn on Monday morning, the same day New York Governor Andrew Cuomo confirmed details about the state’s first confirmed case. Cuomo added that Brooklyn would be testing for community spread since there is a chance that the disease could soon spread through the city. He revealed that the first coronavirus patient in New York was a healthcare worker in Manhattan, who is now isolated.

A statement from Cuomo’s office reported that the unidentified woman, who is in her late 30s, was infected with the coronavirus (COVID-19) while traveling in Iran. To date, 91 patients in America have been confirmed to have coronavirus, following one case reported in Rhode Island and a fifth “unknown” origin case confirmed in Chicago on Sunday.

Concerned citizens have also been posting photos of store and pharmacy shelves that were emptied after shoppers hoarded supplies and medication. Some Walgreens stores in southern California have run out of cold and flu medications, cough medicines, masks, thermometers and vaporizers. Meanwhile, buyers in Hawaii were hoarding flatbeds of bottled water, canned goods, paper towels and toilet paper from Costo. During the weekend, photos of empty shelves at grocery stores in New York were also posted online.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-03-...-new-york.html
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-04-2020 at 12:57 PM.

18. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Since I've had the chance to read your posts about the UK and Europe in general, I'll have to say, I had no clue it was THAT, LEFT, over there. I am rather surprised.
    I'm a bit surprised, myself. What I described was nothing new ... very much the opposite, in fact. Attitudes I've covered in this thread, true of the UK, go back at least three generations. Those for the EU may not be as old, but ... deeply entrenched, nonetheless.

20. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

For what it's worth ... here is tonight's London Evening Standard report on the Coronavirus outbreak:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4377801.html

The world has lost its battle to stop coronavirus, a leading health official has said, as the UK suffered its largest surge in cases in a single day.

Infectious disease expert Professor Neil Ferguson conceded: “You can see from the statistics, the number of countries affected, that that battle is really over," as the country saw its biggest spike in cases from 51 to 87.

His comments came as Boris Johnson announced that statutory sick pay will be available from the first day of illness under emergency legislation, as the risk of an epidemic grows increasingly likely.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation has warned of a global shortage of protective equipment to fight the deadly Covid-19 virus, and Italy is set to shut all schools across the country from tomorrow, as it grapples with more than 3,000 confirmed cases.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-04-2020 at 02:36 PM.

22. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Everybody needs to settle down, and THINK.

All of this is serious, of course. But think about this for a moment. THE FLU kills more people EVERY YEAR in every country than we lost during all of VIETNAM. Shucks. We lose more people to automobile accidents in this country every year as well.

Try to see past 'THE SKY IS FALLING' being broadcast every hour, of every day.

As far as washing our hands. Didn't ALL OF US learn to WASH OUR HANDS after going to the bathroom when we were young?
    It's called Personal Responsibility. Pure and Simple.

The Politicians who blamed Trump for this WANT US to have a Real PANDEMIC in order to gain their power....ANY WAY THEY CAN. If we don't see that for what it really is. We Deserve Joe, Bernie, or God Forbid...Hillary.
    Now..go right ahead and BLAST me all you want. I'm used to it now.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

24. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    All of this is serious, of course. But think about this for a moment. THE FLU kills more people EVERY YEAR in every country than we lost during all of VIETNAM. Shucks. We lose more people to automobile accidents in this country every year as well.

Try to see past 'THE SKY IS FALLING' being broadcast every hour, of every day.

As far as washing our hands. Didn't ALL OF US learn to WASH OUR HANDS after going to the bathroom when we were young?
    It's called Personal Responsibility. Pure and Simple.

The Politicians who blamed Trump for this WANT US to have a Real PANDEMIC in order to gain their power....ANY WAY THEY CAN. If we don't see that for what it really is. We Deserve Joe, Bernie, or God Forbid...Hillary.
    Now..go right ahead and BLAST me all you want. I'm used to it now.
    Granted, 'civilisation as we know it' is not in mortal danger !! The world will go on. It's not as though we're talking global bubonic plague ...

Nonetheless -- consider this:

https://news.yahoo.com/chinas-corona...151608803.html

China’s deadly coronavirus may have the same death rate as Spanish flu, an expert has warned.

While this is the early stages of the disease, deaths from the new virus rose to 17 on Wednesday with hundreds of cases now confirmed, increasing fears of widespread contagion.

The previously unknown flu-like coronavirus strain is believed to have emerged from an animal market in central Wuhan city, with cases now detected as far away as the US.

Professor Neil Ferguson, from Imperial College London, said the current rate of disease could be comparable to the death rate of Spanish flu.

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 is widely regarded as “the deadliest in history”, and is believed to have infected around 500 million people worldwide, killing between 20 and 50 million.

In the UK, it is thought around 228,000 thousand people died of Spanish flu from around 10 million people who were thought to have been infected - a death rate of around 2%.

Chinese officials have confirmed 440 cases of the new coronavirus strain - 2019-nCoV - so far, with 17 deaths.

Based on existing data, the disease is said to have a 2% death rate. This means that for every 50 people who catch the infection, one will statistically die.

To put this into context, around one in every 1,000 who develop flu die, giving it a death rate of 0.1%.

Death rate is different from the death toll. For example, if 100 people caught the infection and the death rate was 2%, the death toll would be two. Whereas if 1,000 people became ill, 20 would die. The total number of deaths in part comes down to the fatality rate and how many people catch the virus.

Professor Peter Horby from the University of Oxford pointed out that fatality estimations are based on “clinical data around hospital cases”.

Of those in hospital, “15%-to-20% are severe cases”, defined as needing ventilation.

Coronaviruses as a class are common, causing everything from the common cold to epidemics like severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars).

2019-nCoV is thought to have originated in animals before “jumping” over to humans.

“Novel viruses spread much faster because we have no immunity,” Prof Ferguson said.
    'Seasonal' flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. Estimates for Covid-19 vary between 1-2%. If 2% is correct, it's as lethal as Spanish flu was.

With 'normal, seasonal' flu .. a person contracting it shows symptoms within a few days at most. People around the infected person are alerted to the risk of contracting it far quicker than is true of the Coronavirus. With this 'Covid 19' strain, an infected person can be incubating it, showing no symptoms, and simultaneously be infectious to others. So, it spreads, long and far, before evidence of the spread is even seen.

We have means of preparing for and protecting against known, 'common' strains of flu. Covid 19 is far too new for that to have been possible. We can therefore do little to protect ourselves from it, beyond basic hygiene measures.

All of this helps explain why the Coronavirus spread is serious. At its worst, it'll be as bad as Spanish Flu was. And, the Spanish flu pandemic WAS bad.

As for 'blaming politicians' for it .. is this something peculiarly American ? Nobody where I am is blaming any politician for it. No doubt Trump 'is to blame' .. just because Trump lives and breathes, much to the insane chagrin of the American Left .....
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-04-2020 at 05:12 PM.

26. Thanks Kathianne, icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Oh boy... here we go... just heard on the local news here that Krogers, among other places, were LIMITING purchases of things like Sani Wipes and Cold and Flu medicine, because of people HORDING. No doubt expecting things to get much worse and thinking they're going to get ahead of the ball game and then GOUGE people selling it later.

Nothing like a global pandemic to bring out the BEST in people...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-04-2020 at 06:09 PM.

28. Likes jimnyc, Drummond liked this post