Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Pollsters: Technology Has Been a Disaster for Caucuses

IMO, all technical issues that may arise can be fixed, and even made better for the future.

But how good is the oversight on the technology? Is their guaranteed access and oversight on all of this? I doubt it.

That's the main issue I have, is the potential for taking advantage in some manner and of course cheating. If folks cheat the other way, then they will look for more ways with this method.

--

Pollsters: Technology Has Been a Disaster for Caucuses

In a recent article, Nate Silver’s polling aggregation blog FiveThirtyEight states that tech that was designed to improve the efficiency of caucuses have actually make the process significantly worse, potentially “dooming” caucuses following the Iowa fiasco.

In an article titled “Tech Was Supposed To Improve Caucuses. Instead, It May Have Doomed Them,” FiveThirtyEight outlines how tech that was meant to streamline the caucus process has in fact led to multiple issues for both the Iowa and Nevada caucuses.

FiveThirtyEight’s Kayleigh Rogers writes that technology wasn’t meant to improve transparency, increase participation and streamline the reporting of results, but that’s not what happened:

But there’s one thing Democrats probably weren’t expecting tech would do: highlight so much of what was already wrong with caucuses. Even if the new technology worked flawlessly, the need for these digital tools only underscored the many problems with caucuses, nearly none of which could be solved with an app. Now, there’s an open question about whether caucuses will be part of 2024’s nominating process.

The Democrats’ tech utopianism started with plans in Iowa and Nevada to hold “virtual caucuses,” allowing Democrats who couldn’t attend a caucus in person to cast a ballot remotely by phone. There’s a reason you didn’t hear much about them over the past month — they were kiboshed by the DNC due to security concerns.

But even traditional caucuses were being modernized, which is why you heard all about infamous apps, jammed phone lines and Google forms in the past few weeks. They were high-tech workarounds for some of caucuses’ flaws: they’re not inclusive, they’re not transparent and the complicated math and arcane rules can confuse even the most seasoned of volunteers, opening the door for errors.
    Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/...-for-caucuses/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It wasn't technology that said, "Hey, let's do early voting with caucuses." Insane.

Bring back paper, simple. Get rid of early voting. Pass voter ID.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    It wasn't technology that said, "Hey, let's do early voting with caucuses." Insane.

Bring back paper, simple. Get rid of early voting. Pass voter ID.
    Early voting has its place. I'm fine with taking it away from Joe Average with no real reason to do it.

I had to vote early while on active duty. Especially when I first joined and you actually had to write in your "write in".

However, it doesn't break my butt to go down the street and around the corner to the elementary school to vote now. And I would prefer paper with my handwriting on it. And a receipt would be nice. That way it's there in my hand writing or not and if not and I have a receipt somebody has some 'splainin' to do.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Early voting has its place. I'm fine with taking it away from Joe Average with no real reason to do it.

I had to vote early while on active duty. Especially when I first joined and you actually had to write in your "write in".

However, it doesn't break my butt to go down the street and around the corner to the elementary school to vote now. And I would prefer paper with my handwriting on it. And a receipt would be nice. That way it's there in my hand writing or not and if not and I have a receipt somebody has some 'splainin' to do.
    For those in the military, for those who will be away for business or planned vacations, for those sick, yes.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill