Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Quitting anything for Lent?

My wife and I were discussing this last night and she was trying to push a bunch of them on me. Some are simply never happening and some were downright impossible. As in - no coffee for 40 days? Impossible. Next! Not arguing with others? LOL, surely you jest! Give up eating meat? No can do! What would be next, oxygen and water?

So aiming at these. And maybe much 'less' with them, none at all for some.

Cursing - now this list is asking a lot! And I can certainly give it my best shot. But hell, I speak my mind all the time and some things just come out, and 99.99% of the time just in general conversation.

Coffee - I only put this one here as it was asked, and has been asked of me a zillion times. But this goes back to the air and water thing.

Complaining about others - I'll try. But in this crazy world I have a lot of opinions, and none to kindly.

Listening to the radio - fine, I just put in a CD or tune into XM.

Texting - while driving - Now THIS ONE I will truly try to stop, and not just for lent. I talk to my phone to get it to text, but you need to swipe and then click 2x before you can start talking. And if it doesn't read me correctly and makes typos, which is all the time, then I will drive with one hand or with my knees and quickly fix. (Don't worry, I'm a professional knee driver)

Speeding - Too rough. Something just built into me. "I can't drive 55".

Interrupting others - One of my truly bad habits, when having conversations kinda cutting in and talking on folks, but only because I will forget if I don't do so, or write it down, which would be odd.

Online shopping/spending - Impulsive spending is a symptom of bipolar. I try to control it with much smaller purchases less than say like $10 instead of truly expensive things!

So what about YOU, what are you giving up for Lent, if anything?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    My wife and I were discussing this last night and she was trying to push a bunch of them on me. Some are simply never happening and some were downright impossible. As in - no coffee for 40 days? Impossible. Next! Not arguing with others? LOL, surely you jest! Give up eating meat? No can do! What would be next, oxygen and water?

Cursing - now this list is asking a lot! And I can certainly give it my best shot. But hell, I speak my mind all the time and some things just come out, and 99.99% of the time just in general conversation.

Coffee - I only put this one here as it was asked, and has been asked of me a zillion times. But this goes back to the air and water thing.

Complaining about others - I'll try. But in this crazy world I have a lot of opinions, and none to kindly.

Texting - while driving - Now THIS ONE I will truly try to stop, and not just for lent. I talk to my phone to get it to text, but you need to swipe and then click 2x before you can start talking. And if it doesn't read me correctly and makes typos, which is all the time, then I will drive with one hand or with my knees and quickly fix. (Don't worry, I'm a professional knee driver)

Interrupting others - One of my truly bad habits, when having conversations kinda cutting in and talking on folks, but only because I will forget if I don't do so, or write it down, which would be odd.

Online shopping/spending - Impulsive spending is a symptom of bipolar. I try to control it with much smaller purchases less than say like $10 instead of truly expensive things!

I've been sort of doing this for awhile now, going to use Lent to focus on it. Do one nice thing-beyond friends-a day. Bringing my friend a treat doesn't take thought, she does the same. Offering a co-worker something, that's different. Paying a couple dollars for someone short when I'm cashiering-that type of thing. Picking up paper some kids threw down around the apartment grounds. . .

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Yeah, Same thing every year. No offense or Disrespect to anyone intended.

Like New Years Resolutions. We are at the age when we both agree to STOP giving anything Up. We just consider it lucky, and fortunate we've come this far...knowing what the FINAL thing we give up WILL BE!
    After all we've been through. We are surprised every day when we WAKE UP!
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

No.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

You have to quit something for 40 days for Lent? Baptists don't do "Lent" but if we did I'm betting there would be a whole bunch of people "quitting" things they already don't do. That would be MY game plan
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Never paid any attention to it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

hmmm maybe DP?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    hmmm maybe DP?

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

hmmm maybe DP?
    Good seeing ya posting Pete! And you haven't lost that simply awesome wonderful sense of humor of yours!

Now stick around a little as I have some beating up on you to catch up with!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

hmmm maybe DP?
    As opposed to your current participation? STILL won't know you aren't here unless you pop in to remind me
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke