Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default What we know and don’t about the Americans who died from coronavirus

World
    What we know and donÂ’t about the Americans who died from coronavirus
    SONY SALZMAN
    Good Morning AmericaMarch 14, 2020, 11:29 AM CDT
    As the novel coronavirus continues to claim lives in the United States, experts are investigating what factors increase some peopleÂ’s risk of dying from the virus.

So far, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have not released a summary of basic demographic information about the people who have died, but according to information collected by ABC News' Medical Unit, the majority of deaths have been among people in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

MORE: Early mortality rates for coronavirus are likely misleading, experts say

The data in the U.S. is similar to Italy, which has been particularly hard-hit by the coronavirus, found the average age among the 105 patients who died from the virus as of March 4 was 81 years old. It also roughly matches data from China, which found that the risk of death increases with age.

So far, at least 49 people in the United States have died from COVID-19. Basic demographic information from local health authorities -- age, gender or both -- is available for 42 of the deaths. Among those, at least 24 were women and 18 were men. This stands in contrast to data from China, where a majority of deaths were in men.

PHOTO: A person is loaded into an ambulance, Thursday, March 12, 2020, at the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Wash., near Seattle. The nursing home is at the center of the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus in Washington state. (Ted S. Warren/AP)
    PHOTO: A person is loaded into an ambulance, Thursday, March 12, 2020, at the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Wash., near Seattle. The nursing home is at the center of the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus in Washington state. (Ted S. Warren/AP)
    In the U.S., of the cases for which there is data, only one person who died was in their 40s, while two people died in their 50s. Seven people were in their 60s, nine people in their 70s, 13 people in their 80s and 10 people were in their 90s.

This means the vast majority of deaths so far are among people older than 70, which matches roughly with data emerging from Italy, China and other countries hard-hit by COVID-19.

This information should be interpreted cautiously. The data is partial and does not include cases for which patient demographics have not been released by local public health authorities. The data does not contain medical history, which is often crucial in helping medical professionals understand exactly why certain people are more likely to die than others.

The CDC has said repeatedly that people with underlying medical conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes and immune system disorders, are more likely to die of COVID-19.

Sony Salzman is a science and medical journalist based in Brooklyn.

What we know and donÂ’t about the Americans who died from coronavirus originally appeared on abcnews.go.com
    This got my attention. Look at the numbers. No way does these numbers warrant the extreme far over the top action being engaged in.
    This is a real virus, a threat, but it has become so damn politicized as to be the political actions are now becoming the real threat, imho.

Anybody with a good head for math can figure this out.
    The epicenter for the outbreak was China-- and months ago-- ask yourself why arent their 500,000 or to a few million dead there-- if it is the hideous pandemic they are crying it is...
    And look at the ones that have died-- primarily age 70 and older and/or with pre-existing critical health ailments! ( ?)

They keep bringing up the Spanish flu of 1918 and 50 million dead worldwide back then-- -- but the Spanish flu had no age limit did it(?)
    -- it killed those infected at --ANY AGE. If you got it you either died or you didnt-- age/ youth could not protect you.

I went to Walmart grocery department yesterday-- there was no milk, no bread, almost zero meat, large freezers of frozen meat-- all were empty!

I needed one loaf of bread, one jug of milk , one pack of boneless, skinless chicken breast, red potatoes-- none were to be had!
    People were there running around like an incoming nuke was on its way.

Folks need to get a damn grip!
    The media driven frenzy is insane and is certainly ---here in the USA----- being screamed and promoted by the damn dem party, imho.

Those primarily responsible for fanning the flames are politicians and media. Each doing so regardless of harm it may cause, to further their personal/financial/political aims..

Here is the score in my opinion, treat this like it may be a bad flu.
    Go out less, was hand frequently, avoid large crowds. Stay home more and increased cleaning in the home about 5 fold.

Now because of the intentionally fanned panic-- one must take other unnecessary steps.

O and by the way-- that walmart had 11 packs of toilet paper, the small 8 rolls per pack ones.
    I bought one pack, as we only had 5 rolls at home.....
    And I cussed out a damn fool (a man) that frantically ran his shopping cart into my back on the frozen food aisle.
    I should have knocked him out , since he hit me and then said to me-- "excuse you"!!
    I am cussing him to his damn face and his wife spoke up telling him-- darling you ran into him!
    Then suddenly when harshly scolded by her he started trying to apologize..
    I replied, just get along before I am forced to do more than just talk-- he took off ...
    Wife then apologized-- I then thanked her , saying- " thank you kindly maam-- have a good day...

Yes my little shopping foray yesterday was quite an experience....
    Never a dull moment sometimes it seems to me.
    A 20/30/40 YEAR OLD ME WOULD HAVE KNOCKED HELL OUT OF HIM AS SOON AS HE SAID-- EXCUSE YOU!!

I woke this morn truly pissed at myself for not doing it anyways...
    Old age has slowed me down.. - --Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 03-16-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Drummond, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    This got my attention. Look at the numbers. No way does these numbers warrant the extreme far over the top action being engaged in.
    This is a real virus, a threat, but it has become so damn politicized as to be the political actions are now becoming the real threat, imho.

The epicenter for the outbreak was China-- and months ago-- ask yourself why arent their 500,000 or to a few million dead there-- if it is the hideous pandemic they are crying it is...
    And look at the ones that have died-- primarily age 70 and older and/or with pre-existing critical health ailments! ( ?)

They keep bringing up the Spanish flu of 1918 and 50 million dead worldwide back then-- -- but the Spanish flu had no age limit did it(?)
    -- it killed those infected at --ANY AGE. If you got it you either died or you didnt-- age/ youth could not protect you.

I went to Walmart grocery department yesterday-- there was no milk, no bread, almost zero meat, large freezers of frozen meat-- all were empty!

I needed one loaf of bread, one jug of milk , one pack of boneless, skinless chicken breast, red potatoes-- none were to be had!

The media driven frenzy is insane and is certainly ---here in the USA----- being screamed and promoted by the damn dem party, imho.

Those primarily responsible for fanning the flames are politicians and media. Each doing so regardless of harm it may cause, to further their personal/financial/political aims..

Go out less, was hand frequently, avoid large crowds. Stay home more and increased cleaning in the home about 5 fold.

Now because of the intentionally fanned panic-- one must take other unnecessary steps.

O and by the way-- that walmart had 11 packs of toilet paper, the small 8 rolls per pack ones.
    And I cussed out a damn fool (a man) that frantically ran his shopping cart into my back on the frozen food aisle.
    I should have knocked him out , since he hit me and then said to me-- "excuse you"!!
    I am cussing him to his damn face and his wife spoke up telling him-- darling you ran into him!
    I replied, just get along before I am forced to do more than just talk-- he took off ...
    Wife then apologized-- I then thanked her , saying- " thank you kindly maam-- have a good day...

A 20/30/40 YEAR OLD ME WOULD HAVE KNOCKED HELL OUT OF HIM AS SOON AS HE SAID-- EXCUSE YOU!!

Apart from the threat that Covid-19 DOES pose, what concerns me is that people can carry it, seeming to be well, but no less contagious than if they were suffering chronic symptoms.

Spanish flu was its own version of flu .. it was a different organism, like flu is different to measles, or ebola ! But, all can kill. Covid-19 is different again, and it's basically a rule of thumb that the older you are, the greater the mortal danger there is from it. UK deaths have had one thing in common: invariably aged over 60, and with underlying health problems that magnify Covid-19's ability to kill.

Wales has just had its first death from it (a man in his sixties). That must raise the UK death rate to a minimum 36 ... this is before today's total death rate is revealed.

Our people say we're one month (or less) away from being as hard-hit by this as Italy is.

Bottom line: Trump HAD to impose a ban on travel from Europe to the US ... and, even though he didn't want to include the UK in it, he really had no choice but to decide to. Our infection rates are growing too quickly, and American lives have needed to be protected.

Either American lives are as protected as possible from this, or, they aren't. Trump was slow to act, BUT, now he's understood what's necessary. He's taking the necessary steps, as of course he should.

To fail to would be a dereliction of his duty, after all.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

See, this is where I get pissed. This is something they NEED to get the facts out to the people and 100% the truth. But we are seeing things all over the map. Either not bad at all, all the way up to 1.7 million deaths!

--

BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: The Coronavirus Fatality Rate Reported by the Media Is COMPLETELY INACCURATE. The Actual Rate Is LESS THAN THE FLU – MEDIA LYING AGAIN!

The current estimate for the fatality rates on the coronavirus just don’t add up. The estimates based on current data are completely inaccurate. Current data shows that this virus is much less deadly that even the common flu from the 2019-2020 season.

Details below:

Summary of points below:

1 - Estimates have been made about the fatality rate of the coronavirus
    2 - Sometimes estimates are reasonable and sometimes they are off, way off
    3 - The current global coronavirus fatality rate is estimated at 3.4%
    4 - The same rate for the flu is 10% (but the media tells you it’s .1%)
    5 - Actual results for the coronavirus are lower than the flu
    6 - Current estimates between the flu and the coronavirus are not comparing ‘apples to apples’
    7 - Those most at risk from the coronavirus are the elderly (average age of death in 80) and the sick

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...a-lying-again/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Are the MSM running around reinforcing these facts?

--

STUNNING: Average Age of Italians Who Have Died From Coronavirus is 81!

It appears Coronavirus is a Deadly Senior’s disease

The Italian government released numbers on the coronavirus last week.
    There were 1,809 new cases of the deadly disease reported in Italy on Sunday.

The Italian government also recently released the percentage of deaths by age group.

90+ years old: 6% of deaths
    80 – 89 years old: 42% of deaths
    70 – 79 years old: 35% of deaths
    60 – 69 years old: 16% of deaths

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...navirus-is-81/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I err on the side of caution, as the numbers have made clear.

Remember they are triaging on Italy, treating the younger and healthier

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post

As I stated in another thread, I'm having a harder time dealing with idiots and/or idiotic behavior than I am worrying about the flu. Common sense works and if that's not enough and I die then I'm dead. At least I won't have to watch adults acting like panicked children all day.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I am self isolating since March 12th. I'm 68 and fit in that 16% bracket. I feel that even if I get the virus I'll recover because I'm in fairly good health. I just don't want to go through the symptoms. But then again, maybe exposure will help build up my immunities. Better to be exposed now while younger than next year or year after when I'm older.

My roommate went to church on Sunday. He thinks the pandemic response is over blown but has offered to stay in his trailer for a couple of weeks if that's what I want. I told him he's already exposed me so why bother.

So yesterday, to stave off cabin fever, we took a six hour round trip to "smell the roses" and have a picnic at Parker Canyon Lake down by the border of Mexico. No contact with anyone. No surfaces touched. Just in Yukon and drive. Life didn't look any different out there. People everywhere and plenty of people camping by lake.

However, Costco gas station was madhouse so we bypassed filling up on way home. I don't like being so low on gas in my vehicle (less than 200 mile range). Just a little bit of residual anxiety. Thankfully, roommate had several gallons stored for emergencies.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post