Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Tough day yesterday

So, we were in NH the past 5 days, partly in Portsmouth and mostly in a cabin in the White Mountains. A wonderful time with family and good friends and fireplaces and board games and cocktails. So far so good.
    [Insert foreboding music here].

We go shopping early Friday morning in Portsmouth. The shelves are pretty well stocked, except for a few extremely popular items. But the checkout line is literally wrapped around the entire store. So now I’m really fretting about what will happen back in Delaware.

Cabin is wonderful. Almost rear-ended by a Jeep, but we are ok.

Watch the Dem debate, get more bummed.

Vacation over, head home. On the Hutch River Pkwy in Scarsdale, NY, we get rear-ended HARD by an 82 yr old woman. She said she “looked down for a moment”. Our car is quite dented, and the hatchback won’t open. But thank God was drivable. Her pretty Mercedes sedan is wrecked. Pieces strewn on the highway, leaking fluid, crushed front end, etc. Tow truck for her.
    @jimnyc I thought of calling you, but since our car was drivable, and we had a ton of groceries with us, we all just wanted to go home and decompress. Accidents are very stressfull. Also- social distancing.

So, off we go, and...
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Our GPS tells us that I 95 is closed ahead. Not backed up. CLOSED.
    Mind you we are almost in the Bronx, and headed for the GW bridge. And don’t really know any alternate routes at this point. Having grown up there, a big fear of mine for many years is to get lost in the Bronx and end up in a really bad neighborhood. But we figure it out and after a detour, we make it onto the bridge and head home without further incident.

I thanked God that we fared as well as we did. Could have all been much worse.

-Abbey

4. Thanks Gunny, NightTrain, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    So, we were in NH the past 5 days, partly in Portsmouth and mostly in a cabin in the White Mountains. A wonderful time with family and good friends and fireplaces and board games and cocktails. So far so good.

We go shopping early Friday morning in Portsmouth. The shelves are pretty well stocked, except for a few extremely popular items. But the checkout line is literally wrapped around the entire store. So now I’m really fretting about what will happen back in Delaware.

Vacation over, head home. On the Hutch River Pkwy in Scarsdale, NY, we get rear-ended HARD by an 82 yr old woman. She said she “looked down for a moment”. Our car is quite dented, and the hatchback won’t open. But thank God was drivable. Her pretty Mercedes sedan is wrecked. Pieces strewn on the highway, leaking fluid, crushed front end, etc. Tow truck for her.
    @jimnyc I thought of calling you, but since our car was drivable, and we had a ton of groceries with us, we all just wanted to go home and decompress. Accidents are very stressfull. Also- social distancing.

So, off we go, and...
    Don't ever hesitate. I am about a 10-15 minute drive from me to the Hutch in Scarsdale. I would have been more than happy to help you guys out! I'm glad you were able to drive away though!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So, off we go, and...
    I was talking with my old friend, the retired Allstate agent. She now works from home for an agent.

She said yesterday she took so many claims! Clear day, decent temps. One was a lady who turned a corner, proceeded up a curb and into a light pole. Hitting nothing else. Total zone out, BUT was thinking of what she might be able to pick up at the store. She said nearly all of the accidents were one vehicle with dumb driver moves-distracted.

If those of us that are reading and writing so much on this, just think of those that keep looking at their 401k or retirement portfolios. I was pleasantly surprised when one of my sons mentioned their dad was super upset having lost over $500k! LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Glad you're okay, Abs!

I wonder if there's a lot of elderly people out on the roads right now engaging in the panic buying... could get pretty dicey having 80 & 90 year olds totally stressed out trying to navigate in traffic.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

10. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Glad you're okay, Abs!

I wonder if there's a lot of elderly people out on the roads right now engaging in the panic buying... could get pretty dicey having 80 & 90 year olds totally stressed out trying to navigate in traffic.
    I don't know if you caught one of my posts that mentioned that quite a few grocery stores on the East Coast have instituted 'senior only hours,' in the mornings? (I know you've had a few things to do besides read,) First hour or two after opening, when the stores are as disinfected as they can, seniors only. Less crowded, no young people that might spread. It's not perfect, but it's a brilliant attempt. I do hope other stores follow.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

12. Likes Bilgerat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't know if you caught one of my posts that mentioned that quite a few grocery stores on the East Coast have instituted 'senior only hours,' in the mornings? (I know you've had a few things to do besides read,) First hour or two after opening, when the stores are as disinfected as they can, seniors only. Less crowded, no young people that might spread. It's not perfect, but it's a brilliant attempt. I do hope other stores follow.

Yeah, stores in AK just instituted the first 2 hours every day for seniors.

A solid move and supported by every normal & decent human. I saw a few miserable excuses for human beings start whining about it, and they were immediately shamed into deleting the post and leaving the internet.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

14. Thanks Abbey Marie, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Meanwhile, saw video of college kids on spring break partying on crowded beaches.

-Abbey

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It's actually part of why I like FB. Most important I read about my kids and friends. Second, there are way more good people posting positives than the downers. In many cases there are good groups to join.

18. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why is that?

I don't have tv (by choice) and I generally rely on tidbits from various sources to keep an idea of what goes on. I haven't heard anything notable happened.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenKitten99 View Post
    Why is that?

I don't have tv (by choice) and I generally rely on tidbits from various sources to keep an idea of what goes on. I haven't heard anything notable happened.

For me, it's hitting a personal note

I watched my Da's second wife die slowly from Alzheimer's. At the end, she even forgot she smoked, but for her it was at least peaceful.

A few years later the foul disease struck again taking Da only not as peaceful this time. He became belligerent and combative at times . We (the Lady and I) took him in gladly, but near the end only I went near him (yes, it was that bad).

Now I'm watching a man who seem (at least to me) to be exhibiting the very same actions of Da.

I feel sorry for him as I (again, a personal opinion) feel that he's being both used and abused by the DNC. There's no doubt in my mind that the left will "install" their choice as his running mate and if elected they will use the 25th Amendment to remove and replace at their earliest convenience.

And the sick part is his wife is allowing this.

But then, that's just my beliefs and opinions.
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

21. Thanks Kathianne, NightTrain thanked this post