Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Hey Jon!

Any good programs (besides photoshop) that you can recommend for a newbie with photos, to be able to fix, cleanup or enhance photos? I tried the one you recommended in the other thread, Neatimage, but couldn't do anything with it because I suck! I need an easier one apparently!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Any good programs (besides photoshop) that you can recommend for a newbie with photos, to be able to fix, cleanup or enhance photos? I tried the one you recommended in the other thread, Neatimage, but couldn't do anything with it because I suck! I need an easier one apparently!
    NeatImage is great for removing noise (grain) from an image, but it doesn't really do much else.

Hmm. How about this. Post a link to a high resolution photo that you'd like to improve, and perhaps how you'd like to improve it.

Then, I'll give you a step-by-step on how I would approach 'fixing' it?

Do you have a copy of Photoshop CS2?
    It's easier to buy gear than talent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    NeatImage is great for removing noise (grain) from an image, but it doesn't really do much else.

Hmm. How about this. Post a link to a high resolution photo that you'd like to improve, and perhaps how you'd like to improve it.

Then, I'll give you a step-by-step on how I would approach 'fixing' it?

Do you have a copy of Photoshop CS2?
    I don't have CS2, but I can have it, and installed in a few hours.

Here's just one photo I took a few days ago. Just an example of course, but it's a start. I never get the great coloring or clarity that you guys get. And hell, I even had my camera on a tripod to make sure my coffee infested shaky hands didn't ruin the picture! (click on it for full resolution)

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't have CS2, but I can have it, and installed in a few hours.

Here's just one photo I took a few days ago. Just an example of course, but it's a start. I never get the great coloring or clarity that you guys get. And hell, I even had my camera on a tripod to make sure my coffee infested shaky hands didn't ruin the picture! (click on it for full resolution)

I'll try to get back to you with something by the end of the day. 1600X1200 is pro'lly big enough to play around with, but it would be best to have the original size. Garbage in, garbage out dontcha know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yeah. I'll need the original version to do much with this. The JPEG artifacts are messing with the quality.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yeah. I'll need the original version to do much with this. The JPEG artifacts are messing with the quality.
    That is the original! Is this your polite way of telling me my camera sucks?

I have the resolution set to 1600x1200 but it can go up to 2592x1944. The higher resolution I use the larger the pictures come out, and then everyone yells at me!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That is the original! Is this your polite way of telling me my camera sucks?

I have the resolution set to 1600x1200 but it can go up to 2592x1944. The higher resolution I use the larger the pictures come out, and then everyone yells at me!
    Hrm. Maybe your first lesson should be "Image Resizing in Photoshop".

Baby steps.

I'll play around with that one a bit more later today and see if I can give you some pointers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know how useful this is but I use The Gimp to help with my photos. But there are a couple of reasons for that:

1. I use Linux as my os
    2. I am a frigging cheapskate and will not pay for Photoshop (The Gimp is free, as in free beer)

I'm not a Linux fanboy (really, I'm not) but there are a lot of free (as in beer) programmes for touching up photos. I've got one that makes me look intelligent, wealthy and successful with women (okay, that's liquor, I lied )
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Hrm. Maybe your first lesson should be "Image Resizing in Photoshop".

Baby steps.

I'll play around with that one a bit more later today and see if I can give you some pointers.
    Don't have PS, but I'll try the CS2 you recommended sometime today. I do have a program I downloaded last year specifically for image resizing. It's just that whenever I resize them I lose too much quality. Would PS allow me to resize without losing quality?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    I use The Gimp to help with my photos.
    Do you think he can swing by my place and fix my camera/photos?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Don't have PS, but I'll try the CS2 you recommended sometime today. I do have a program I downloaded last year specifically for image resizing. It's just that whenever I resize them I lose too much quality. Would PS allow me to resize without losing quality?
    CS2 is a version of PS.

Yes, PS will allow you to resize without perceptibly losing quality. In fact, downsized correctly, your images will look better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

CS2 is a version of PS.

Yes, PS will allow you to resize without perceptibly losing quality. In fact, downsized correctly, your images will look better.
    Interesting, will be scouring my "user friendly" sites in a few moments for CS2! That's what I get for relying on them damn freeware programs. I knew I should have been a pirate from the get go! LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.gimp.org/ its free

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    My bad then! Thanks, Jafar! I thought it was only for those running linux.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Ok, Jon, I went out and "bought" CS2. This is my first attempt at resizing the pic, also ran the "sharpen filter".