Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Well, I Just Got Home From The Emergency Room...

So, sat down at the computer in the shop Wednesday after stocking up on groceries, and all of a sudden got some chest pain. Freaked me out for sure, caused some high anxiety, blood pressure shot way up, didn't know what to do. But I tried to relax and calm down and the pain did subside for the most part. FF to today, felt real good when I got up from bed but a little pain was starting again, and my chest felt tight and like there was pressure on it, and same thing all day yesterday, so after 3 days of it, I'm just completely freaked out that I'm having heart problems, so off to the emergency room I go, and I honestly expected them to find something, but, nothing. EKG was normal, chest X-rays nothing, and the blood tests showed my heart was fine. Well, that's GREAT to know, and CALMING, because I was convinced I was having angina pain or something... something heart related going on. But they said it's most likely "chest wall muscle pain and discomfort," which makes sense since I have so many pinched nerves it's pathetic, and that could do it, and why I feel so good after a hot shower. But damn, I was having some bad anxiety attacks which was just making it worse. At least now I know I'm not going to DIE. For crying out loud, I exercise, I eat pretty good, I'm not fat... so why would I be having heart problems? Well, SMOKING for one, BINGE smoking. I won't smoke for 2 or 3 days, even 4, maybe 5, but as soon as I pop a beer, have to get a pack of cigs, and I'll smoke the entire pack in one sitting while drinking beer, and just lately, couple times I had bought two packs of cigs so I wouldn't run out. But, I had only had a few cigs out of a pack when this hit me, but I threw that pack and an unopened pack in the TRASH, AND the ASHTRAY. Even if my lungs and heart are good, I' quitting anyway, done. Never really liked it anyway, and absolutely HATE the smell on my clothes and whatnot.

Back home though, they let me go, obviously, but the doctor did mention I maybe study up on meditation techniques, and that maybe I should have a stress test, which I think I'd just stomp through with flying colors. Funny thing is, I jogged a little over a mile on my treadmill earlier in the day before this all started.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-20-2020 at 07:10 PM.

2. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    So, sat down at the computer in the shop Wednesday after stocking up on groceries, and all of a sudden got some chest pain. Freaked me out for sure, caused some high anxiety, blood pressure shot way up, didn't know what to do. But I tried to relax and calm down and the pain did subside for the most part. FF to today, felt real good when I got up from bed but a little pain was starting again, and my chest felt tight and like there was pressure on it, and same thing all day yesterday, so after 3 days of it, I'm just completely freaked out that I'm having heart problems, so off to the emergency room I go, and I honestly expected them to find something, but, nothing. EKG was normal, chest X-rays nothing, and the blood tests showed my heart was fine. Well, that's GREAT to know, and CALMING, because I was convinced I was having angina pain or something... something heart related going on. But they said it's most likely "chest wall muscle pain and discomfort," which makes sense since I have so many pinched nerves it's pathetic, and that could do it, and why I feel so good after a hot shower. But damn, I was having some bad anxiety attacks which was just making it worse. At least now I know I'm not going to DIE. For crying out loud, I exercise, I eat pretty good, I'm not fat... so why would I be having heart problems? Well, SMOKING for one, BINGE smoking. I won't smoke for 2 or 3 days, even 4, maybe 5, but as soon as I pop a beer, have to get a pack of cigs, and I'll smoke the entire pack in one sitting while drinking beer, and just lately, couple times I had bought two packs of cigs so I wouldn't run out. But, I had only had a few cigs out of a pack when this hit me, but I threw that pack and an unopened pack in the TRASH, AND the ASHTRAY. Even if my lungs and heart are good, I' quitting anyway, done. Never really liked it anyway, and absolutely HATE the smell on my clothes and whatnot.

Back home though, they let me go, obviously, but the doctor did mention I maybe study up on meditation techniques, and that maybe I should have a stress test, which I think I'd just stomp through with flying colors. Funny thing is, I jogged a little over a mile on my treadmill earlier in the day before this all started.
    I agree with the doc, you need a way to diffuse yourself. You get way too angry, too often. Mostly over things you literally have no control over. That's a recipe for over the top blood pressure.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes pete311 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I agree with the doc, you need a way to diffuse yourself. You get way too angry, too often. Mostly over things you literally have no control over. That's a recipe for over the top blood pressure.
    Oddly enough, my BP is usually around 130/74, which is excellent, and I think I might sound a lot more angry than I actually am. I'm guilty of using extreme language often.

What's more at work here, more than likely, is the mass of pinched nerves I have. 4 of my cervical vertebrae are one piece, 2 fused from 10 hours of major neurosurgery 30 years ago, and they weren't done, but didn't want to have me under any longer, and I suffer from some nerve atrophy and some neuropathy. I had an MRI long ago on my back and I was told I had arthritis of the spine, and I've gotten a pain in my back between my shoulder blades quite a few times, and it feels like it goes right through me back to front at times.

But this time was more intense and unlike any other, this freaked me out, in any case, I'm very inclined to believe now that it's due to nerve problems in my spine.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-20-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Oddly enough, my BP is usually around 130/74, which is excellent, and I think I might sound a lot more angry than I actually am. I'm guilty of using extreme language often.

What's more at work here, more than likely, is the mass of pinched nerves I have. 4 of my cervical vertebrae are one piece, 2 fused from 10 hours of major neurosurgery 30 years ago, and they weren't done, but didn't want to have me under any longer, and I suffer from some nerve atrophy and some neuropathy. I had an MRI long ago on my back and I was told I had arthritis of the spine, and I've gotten a pain in my back between my shoulder blades quite a few times, and it feels like it goes right through me back to front at times.

But this time was more intense and unlike any other, in any case, I'm very inclined to believe now that it's due to nerve problems in my spine.
    Glad you are feeling better, still agree you should find a way to detense yourself.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I'm not a doctor but I do know the symptoms to my own issues and it sound a whole bunch like a panic attack. Right down to the bogus, but very real to you heart issues.

Being told what it was is all it took to for me. I can talk myself out of one. Except when I can't Then, I STILL know what it is and just have to deal.

My only question has always been, "What happens if it IS a real heart attack and I'm just brushing it off"? I don't have the answer to that
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

9. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Glad you are feeling better, still agree you should find a way to detense yourself.
    The ER doc recommended I look into meditation and breathing techinics... no kidding... but I think that was more in response to me telling her I had some very high anxiety, even panic attacks during this episode. I had panic attacks about 35 years ago. Took Clonazepam for 9 years. It worked because they ended, but when something like this happens, and I let it eat on me for 3 days, I can still get some anxiety attacks. Not as bad as they used to be, but enough to just compound the problem so it's feeding on itself.

11. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

The ER doc recommended I look into meditation and breathing techinics... no kidding... but I think that was more in response to me telling her I had some very high anxiety, even panic attacks during this episode. I had panic attacks about 35 years ago. Took Clonazepam for 9 years. It worked because they ended, but when something like this happens, and I let it eat on me for 3 days, I can still get some anxiety attacks. Not as bad as they used to be, but enough to just compound the problem so it's feeding on itself.
    Not sure about the meditation junk. If that's forcing yourself to concentrate on something else, it helps. The breathing techniques can help as well. First thing I do is square away my breathing.

For me, it's a control issue. I can't speak for anyone else.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Likes Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I was wondering where you were. Be very glad it wasn’t a heart attack. It leaves permanent damage, at best.

i think deep breathing is best for anxiety.

Glad you’re Ok!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

15. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'm not a doctor but I do know the symptoms to my own issues and it sound a whole bunch like a panic attack. Right down to the bogus, but very real to you heart issues.

Being told what it was is all it took to for me. I can talk myself out of one. Except when I can't Then, I STILL know what it is and just have to deal.

My only question has always been, "What happens if it IS a real heart attack and I'm just brushing it off"? I don't have the answer to that
    That's pretty much exactly where I'm left after this episode, because I had immediate chest pain, tightness and pressure. The exact symptoms of a heart attack, or at minimum, an Angina attack, and that's going to give anyone a good scare, I don't care who you are. So I did calm myself down and the pain eased some. I was stubborn and put up with it, to a degree, for the better part of three days, but I started to think that I could just be making it worse by not seeing a doctor, well, then the mind starts kicking in, you get even more worried, and that starts to kick off some panic attacks, and you're alone, and throw in worrying about who the hell is going to come over to feed your animal if you're in the hospital for 2 weeks, and there ya go, a perfect storm that's now feeding on itself, and you're completely freaked out, and I was.

So I went in and no heart issues, lungs are fine... suspected problem: CHEST WALL MUSCLE SPASMS, causing the tightness and pressure feeling, and the pain, more than likely due to pinching a nerve. But, that precisely mimicked a heart attack. So I'm with you @Gunny. If I ever do have a REAL heart attack now, I might not even know it. I'll think it's this crap happening again and blow it off. I mean, I tried to reason with myself... how does a guy that hits the treadmill once and awhile, hits his gym regularly, eats pretty good, isn't fat, family has no history of heart disease, doesn't have high blood pressure and is pretty happy with his life... how does a guy like that have a heart attack? Well, when you're having all the symptoms, it's hard to just ignore it and calm down. It's like someone piling their car into your's, and then you trying to pretend it isn't real...

OH, and I'm not sure I need "meditation" either. I remember some of our breathing control techniques from when I was into Martial Arts, and the mind over body control as well. I'd much rather revisit that than meditate. Hell I'd like to take Martial Arts again period, and there is a dojo near me, but I'm not going to take classes with a bunch of kiddies. No adult or seniors class, forget it.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-21-2020 at 08:50 AM.

17. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Be happy, I'm glad it's not a heart issue, or that damn virus going around! Feel better bro!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

19. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

That's pretty much exactly where I'm left after this episode, because I had immediate chest pain, tightness and pressure. The exact symptoms of a heart attack, or at minimum, an Angina attack, and that's going to give anyone a good scare, I don't care who you are. So I did calm myself down and the pain eased some. I was stubborn and put up with it, to a degree, for the better part of three days, but I started to think that I could just be making it worse by not seeing a doctor, well, then the mind starts kicking in, you get even more worried, and that starts to kick off some panic attacks, and you're alone, and throw in worrying about who the hell is going to come over to feed your animal if you're in the hospital for 2 weeks, and there ya go, a perfect storm that's now feeding on itself, and you're completely freaked out, and I was.

So I went in and no heart issues, lungs are fine... suspected problem: CHEST WALL MUSCLE SPASMS, causing the tightness and pressure feeling, and the pain, more than likely due to pinching a nerve. But, that precisely mimicked a heart attack. So I'm with you @Gunny. If I ever do have a REAL heart attack now, I might not even know it. I'll think it's this crap happening again and blow it off. I mean, I tried to reason with myself... how does a guy that hits the treadmill once and awhile, hits his gym regularly, eats pretty good, isn't fat, family has no history of heart disease, doesn't have high blood pressure and is pretty happy with his life... how does a guy like that have a heart attack? Well, when you're having all the symptoms, it's hard to just ignore it and calm down. It's like someone piling their car into your's, and then you trying to pretend it isn't real...

OH, and I'm not sure I need "meditation" either. I remember some of our breathing control techniques from when I was into Martial Arts, and the mind over body control as well. I'd much rather revisit that than meditate. Hell I'd like to take Martial Arts again period, and there is a dojo near me, but I'm not going to take classes with a bunch of kiddies. No adult or seniors class, forget it.
    My throat was so constricted I could barely swallow. I was sure I was done for. Run down to sick bay (I was in the middle of the ocean on board ship to make matters a LOT better) want my throat scoped, tested for cancer and whatnot. The doctor looks at me and says he can do all that but it's pretty painful when the only thing wrong with me he can see is ME. I was beyond stressed (lot of stuff going on to include sleep deprivation) and had done all that crap to myself.

Possessing only that knowledge I kicked that BS out of my head in 3 days. It was for me a real eye-opener into how much the mind can do to the body.

We are currently in a horrible situation none of have any control over and it's got some of us stressed the F- out. I haven't had time to deal with stress over any damned virus because everybody doing and saying stupid shit keeps my meter pegged. Who's got time to get sick?

21. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    My throat was so constricted I could barely swallow. I was sure I was done for. Run down to sick bay (I was in the middle of the ocean on board ship to make matters a LOT better) want my throat scoped, tested for cancer and whatnot. The doctor looks at me and says he can do all that but it's pretty painful when the only thing wrong with me he can see is ME. I was beyond stressed (lot of stuff going on to include sleep deprivation) and had done all that crap to myself.

Possessing only that knowledge I kicked that BS out of my head in 3 days. It was for me a real eye-opener into how much the mind can do to the body.

We are currently in a horrible situation none of have any control over and it's got some of us stressed the F- out. I haven't had time to deal with stress over any damned virus because everybody doing and saying stupid shit keeps my meter pegged. Who's got time to get sick?
    Yeah I was thinking of the virus too but didn't have a fever or cough or shortness of breath, and couldn't imagine where I could have picked it up since there hasn't even been a case in the tri county area right around me, and I'm pretty much in the middle. But it all goes through the head when you're tired and freaked out, and that is just making things worse because of how big of an impact the mind can have over the body.

Unbelievable how much better I feel today being able to RELAX, knowing nothing is wrong with my heart. I'm actually hittin' the gym, even though I can still feel a little tightness and pressure feeling, but I know now 100% it's a pinched nerve deal. Well, muscle helps hold the skeleton straight and in place so, might as well keep exercising. I always feel my best when I hit it anyway. Shouldn't even ever take a week off from lifting. Ought to exercise every other day minimum.

23. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Yeah I was thinking of the virus too but didn't have a fever or cough or shortness of breath, and couldn't imagine where I could have picked it up since there hasn't even been a case in the tri county area right around me, and I'm pretty much in the middle. But it all goes through the head when you're tired and freaked out, and that is just making things worse because of how big of an impact the mind can have over the body.

Unbelievable how much better I feel today being able to RELAX, knowing nothing is wrong with my heart. I'm actually hittin' the gym, even though I can still feel a little tightness and pressure feeling, but I know now 100% it's a pinched nerve deal. Well, muscle helps hold the skeleton straight and in place so, might as well keep exercising. I always feel my best when I hit it anyway. Shouldn't even ever take a week off from lifting. Ought to exercise every other day minimum.
    Clarification: I didn't think it was the virus. Wasn't this one back then. It's the stress. The stress one puts on one's self AND the stress others put upon one. The latter is worse than the former.

25. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Gunny is right. Stress alone can make you sick. It messes with your hormones and cortisol and all kinds of things. Panic/anxiety attacks can mimic a heart attack, including heart palpitations as well.

I get chest wall pain periodically too. Although I am now moving into the age bracket where heart attack could also be an option so that's a thing I have to think about more consciously.

27. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post