Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Blog, I Was Once The Man Locked In The Box, ( Tribute Given To Alice In Chains, "Layne Stayley" )
    Blog Posted:1/24/2021 6:56:00 AM
    Blog,

I Was Once The Man Locked In The Box,

( Tribute Given To Alice In Chains, "Layne Stayley" )

I Was Once The Man Locked In The Box

( Tribute Given To Alice In Chains, "Layne Stayley" )

I was, once a man locked in a box

Begging for a savior smart as a fox

Even better, should my hero be a she

For it was Love that imprisoned me

I need a hero to gift my heart to

A warm loving angel to start life anew

A rare soul to bring out the best in me

For only by true love can I be free.

Pray I, now within these cold metal walls

For sweet forgiveness with my sincere calls

I a prisoner without any chains

Condemned to live heart-broke with my pains

In this mind-made steel cavern all alone

With this empty chill shattering my bones

Need I, a rare beauty to rescue me

I was, once a man locked in a box

Begging for a savior smart as a fox

Even better, should my hero be a she

For it was Love that imprisoned me.

Beg I, an angel to come rescue me

R.J. Lindley, August 2nd 1993,

Presented. 1-24-2021

Rhyme,

( When so lost, the mind becomes chained in a dark abyss )

Tribute given to the band - Alice In Chains, the song

Titled-- " Man In The Box", singer Layne Stayley

Note:

Once the darkness held me in iron chains

So fiercely that I felt not the Spring rains

I was blinded and sealed in my own tomb

Prisoner in a soul breaking black room

My cries came back as waves on poison seas

Useless were my first angry cursing pleas

Only when heart and soul found the true light

Could I start to begin my freedom fight

Beg I, an angel to come rescue me

For only with true love can I be free.

Note:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Box

Man in the Box

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

"Man in the Box"

Man in the Box by Alice in Chains US commercial cassette.jpg

US commercial cassette single

Single by Alice in Chains

from the album Facelift

Released January 1991[1]

Recorded December 1989 – April 1990

Studio

London Bridge, Seattle

Capitol Recording, Hollywood

Genre

Grunge[2][3]alternative metal[4]hard rock[5][6]alternative rock[7]

Length 4:46

Label Columbia

Composer(s) Jerry Cantrell

Lyricist(s) Layne Staley

Producer(s) Dave Jerden

Alice in Chains singles chronology

"We Die Young"

(1990) "Man in the Box"

(1991) "Bleed the Freak"

(1991)

Audio sample

MENU0:00

filehelp

Music video

"Man in the Box" on YouTube

"Man in the Box" is a song by the American rock band Alice in Chains. It was released as a single in January 1991 after being featured on the group's debut studio album Facelift (1990). It peaked at No. 18 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart and was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance in 1992. The song was included on the compilation albums Nothing Safe: Best of the Box (1999), Music Bank (1999), Greatest Hits (2001), and The Essential Alice in Chains (2006). "Man in the Box" was the second most-played song of the decade on mainstream rock radio between 2010 and 2019.

Contents

1 Origin and recording

2 Composition

3 Lyrics

4 Release and reception

5 Music video

6 Live performances

7 Personnel

8 Chart positions

8.1 Weekly charts

8.2 Decade-end charts

9 Cover versions

10 In popular culture

11 References

12 External links

Origin and recording

In the liner notes of 1999's Music Bank box set collection, guitarist Jerry Cantrell said of the song; "That whole beat and grind of that is when we started to find ourselves; it helped Alice become what it was."[8]

The song makes use of a talk box to create the guitar effect. The idea of using a talk box came from producer Dave Jerden, who was driving to the studio one day when Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" started playing on the radio.[9]

The original Facelift track listing credited only vocalist Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell with writing the song.[10] All post-Facelift compilations credited the entire band. It is unclear as to why the songwriter credits were changed.

Composition

"Man in the Box" is widely recognized for its distinctive "wordless opening melody, where Layne Staley's peculiar, tensed-throat vocals are matched in unison with an effects-laden guitar" followed by "portentous lines like: 'Feed my eyes, can you sew them shut?', 'Jesus Christ, deny your maker' and 'He who tries, will be wasted' with Cantrell's drier, less-urgent voice," along with harmonies provided by both Staley and Cantrell in the lines 'Won't you come and save me'.[11]

Lyrics

In a 1992 interview with Rolling Stone, Layne Staley explained the origins of the song's lyrics:

I started writing about censorship. Around the same time, we went out for dinner with some Columbia Records people who were vegetarians. They told me how veal was made from calves raised in these small boxes, and that image stuck in my head. So I went home and wrote about government censorship and eating meat as seen through the eyes of a doomed calf.[12]

Jerry Cantrell said of the song:

But what it's basically about is, is how government and media control the public's perception of events in the world or whatever, and they build you into a box by feeding it to you in your home, ya know. And it's just about breaking out of that box and looking outside of that box that has been built for you.[13]

In a recorded interview with MuchMusic in 1991, Staley stated that the lyrics are loosely based on media censorship, and "I was really really stoned when I wrote it, so it meant something different then", he said laughing.[14]

Release and reception

"Man in the Box" was released as a single in 1991. "Man in the Box" is widely considered to be one of the band's signature songs, reaching number 18 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart at the time of its release. According to Nielsen Music's year-end report for 2019, "Man in the Box" was the second most-played song of the decade on mainstream rock radio with 142,000 spins.[15]

The song was number 19 on VH1's "40 Greatest Metal Songs", and its solo was rated the 77th greatest guitar solo by Guitar World in 2008.[16] It was number 50 on VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 90s" in 2007.[17] The song was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance in 1992.[5]

Steve Huey of AllMusic called the song "an often overlooked but important building block in grunge's ascent to dominance" and "a meeting of metal theatrics and introspective hopelessness."[11]

Music video

The MTV music video for the track was released in 1991 and was directed by Paul Rachman, who later directed the first version of the "Sea of Sorrow" music video for the band and the 2006 feature documentary American Hardcore. The music video was nominated for Best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Video at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards.[18] The video is available on the home video releases Live Facelift and Music Bank: The Videos. The video shows the band performing in what is supposedly a barn, where throughout the video, a mysterious man wearing a black hooded cloak is shown roaming around the barn. Then, after the unknown hooded figure is shown, he is shown again looking around inside a stable where many animals live where he suddenly discovers and shines his flashlight on a man (Layne Staley) that he finds sitting in the corner of the barnhouse. At the end of the video, the hooded man finally pulls his hood down off of his head, only to reveal that his eyelids were sewn together with stitches the whole time. This part of the video depicts on the line of the song, "Feed my eyes, now you've sewn them shut". The man with his eyes sewn shut was played by a friend of director Paul Rachman, Rezin,[19] who worked in a bar parking lot in Los Angeles called Small's.[20]

The music video was shot on 16mm film and transferred to tape using a FDL 60 telecine. At the time this was the only device that could sync sound to picture at film rates as low as 6FPS. This is how the surreal motion was obtained. The sepia look was done by Claudius Neal using a daVinci color corrector.[citation needed]

Layne Staley tattooed on his back the Jesus character depicted in the video with his eyes sewn shut.[21][22]

Live performances

At Alice in Chains' last concert with Staley on July 3, 1996, they closed with "Man in the Box". Live performances of "Man in the Box" can be found on the "Heaven Beside You" and "Get Born Again" singles and the live album Live. A performance of the song is also included on the home video release Live Facelift and is a staple of the band's live show due to the song's popularity.

Personnel

Layne Staley – lead vocals

Jerry Cantrell – guitar, talkbox, backing vocals

Mike Starr – bass

Sean Kinney – drums

Chart positions

Weekly charts

Facelift version

Chart (1991) Peak

position

US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)[23] 18

Live version

Chart (2000) Peak

position

US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)[23] 39

Decade-end charts

Chart (2010–2019) Position

US Mainstream Rock (Nielsen Music)[15] 2

Cover versions

Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine covered "Man in the Box" in a lounge style on their 2005 album Aperitif for Destruction. Platinum-selling recording artist David Cook covered the song during his 2009 Declaration Tour. Angie Aparo recorded a cover version for his album Weapons of Mass Construction. Apologetix parodied the song as "Man on the Cross" on their 2013 album Hot Potato Soup. Metal artist Chris Senter released a parody titled "Cat in the Box" in March 2015, featuring a music video by animator Joey Siler.[24] Les Claypool's bluegrass project Duo de Twang covered the song on their debut album Four Foot Shack.
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 01-24-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

New Blog, Poetry, does its beautiful depths enter your heart?
    Blog Posted:5/29/2021 3:53:00 PM
    New Blog,

Poetry, does its beautiful depths enter your heart?

https://interestingliterature.com/20...out-the-heart/

LITERATURE

10 of the Best Poems about the Heart

Are these the greatest heart poems? Selected by Dr Oliver Tearle

Poets have often written about the heart. Whether they’re discussing desire, or being broken-hearted by loss or unrequited love, or the boundless joy they feel in their hearts when encountering the wonders of the natural world. Here are ten of the best poems featuring hearts.

SELECTION-- Only the first three of the ten listed -RJL….

(1.)

Sir Philip Sidney, ‘My true love hath my heart, and I have his’.

My true love hath my heart, and I have his,

By just exchange one for the other given:

I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss;

There never was a bargain better driven.

His heart in me keeps me and him in one;

My heart in him his thoughts and senses guides:

He loves my heart, for once it was his own;

I cherish his because in me it bides …

The poem is taken from Sidney’s long prose work the Arcadia, a pastoral narrative which Sidney composed in around 1580. The speaker of the poem in Book III of the Arcadia is a shepherdess, pledging her love for her betrothed, a shepherd who rests in her lap; this poem sees her describing the ‘bargain’ struck between the two lovers.

(2.)

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 46.

Mine eye and heart are at a mortal war,

How to divide the conquest of thy sight;

Mine eye my heart thy picture’s sight would bar,

My heart mine eye the freedom of that right.

My heart doth plead that thou in him dost lie,

A closet never pierced with crystal eyes,

But the defendant doth that plea deny,

And says in him thy fair appearance lies …

In this sonnet, Shakespeare argues that his eyes and heart are engaged in a fight to the death, over who should have the right to own the image of Shakespeare’s beloved, the Fair Youth. The poet’s heart argues that it knows the truth of the young man, and no eye, no matter how clear, has ever penetrated that truth. Shakespeare concludes that his eyes own his beloved’s outward visible appearance, while his heart has rights over what’s inside.

(3.)

John Donne, ‘Batter my heart, three-person’d God’.

Batter my heart, three-person’d God, for you

As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;

That I may rise and stand, o’erthrow me, and bend

Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.

I, like an usurp’d town to another due,

Labour to admit you, but oh, to no end;

Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,

But is captiv’d, and proves weak or untrue …

This is a remarkable sonnet because, although it was written after Donne’s confirmation as a priest in the Church of England, it is teeming with the same erotic language we find in his earlier ‘love sonnets’. This is the aspect of Donne which prefigures (and possibly influenced) a poet of 250 years later, the Victorian religious poet Gerard Manley Hopkins, who often addresses God in the same breathless, excited way that we see in this sonnet. (Hopkins also favoured the sonnet form, as demonstrated by his most famous poem, ‘The Windhover’, as well as by many of his other best-loved poems.) Donne’s sonnet also ends with a very daring declaration of desire that God ‘ravish’ him – much as he had longed for the women in his life to ravish him in his altogether more libertine youth.

My three sonnets composed for this blog.

My interpretation of life, love, this world

poetry writing- and the experiences of life

that have set me to be a dedicated lifelong

poet that goes my own way, regardless of

any that think I should conform more to their

ideas on poetry and how to express myself.

RJL
    (1.)

Alas! So Shoot Me, I Grieve What Was Lost

Alas! So shoot me, I grieve what was lost

Not just youth, but those things Time took away

Within aching heart comes an icy frost

Covering epic pains of such decay!

One may ask, how dare I so complain?

Does Nature cry about hard falling rain?

Yet does not this world its ills promote well?

Oft with sorrows borne from depths of Hell?

Dare I choose to such dark verses to write?

Have I not truly joined in the fight?

Alas! So shoot me, I grieve what was lost

Not just youth, but those things Time took away

Within aching heart comes an icy frost

Covering epic pains of such decay!

Robert J. Lindley,

Sonnet, repeat stanza ( with triple couplets )

(2.)

Those Lush And Tender, Soft Welcoming Lips

Those flowing curls, glowing luscious mane

Sexy smile, flowering as desert rain

Bountiful beauty, sent to ease heart's pain

Lovely blessing sent for this soul to gain.

Ravishing essence with sweet touch to match

My hesitation, thinking what is the catch

That such a beauty would now my way pass

A goddess, sweet speaking to this poor lass.

Those lush and tender, soft welcoming lips

With true beauty, grace, and curvaceous hips

Yes beauty, as could launch a thousand ships

And greatest king's treasure surely eclipse.

Those tender kisses that were sent both ways.

May we forever - remember that day!

Robert J. Lindley,

Sonnet,

( And Life, Its Journey Ever Sped Onward )

(3.)

Does Basking Moon Ask Strolling Stars For More

Of beauty, earth, wind and soft glowing sky

Dares this artist to weep tears asking why

Heart and soul must pay such a heavy price

And shed blood for it to ever suffice?

Does basking moon ask strolling stars for more

Space and time to heavenly night explore

And cast upon earth a much deeper hue

To inspire such in poets such as you?

Does dawn its resplendent new rays withhold

That gift, that gleaming beauty to be sold

Or Mother Nature fail to gift new birth

Or poets fail to cast beauty's true worth?

Do these quizzing queries set well in verse

Or fail as being dated and quite terse?

Robert J. Lindley,

Sonnet,

( And what of life, love and this thing we call earth ? )

https://discover.hubpages.com/litera...eart-of-a-Poet

JAN 4, 2015

Poems and Poetry - The Heart of a Poet

REBEKAHELLE

Poetry Has Form and Structure

Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. Iambic pentameter first appeared in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in late 14th century.

Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. Iambic pentameter first appeared in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in late 14th century.

Poets have been writing poetry since time began. Poems begin in the head and heart, not with the pen. A poet is not necessarily someone who writes poems, but is someone who sees the world poetically, and is able to express it by way of language.

Most people can compose a poem, but the simple act of writing doesn't make a poet. A poet looks at the world and sees poetry, in everything, and is able to express it with specific language. A visual artist may see the world through images and is able to express it with paint. A musician may hear the world and express it with sounds.

A poet therefore, must be able to use language to convey emotion, depth, reality, fantasy, hope, despair, love, death, illusion.

Without poetry, humanity has nowhere to hang its soul. A good poem can give us hope or laughter, tears, joy. A great poem can remind us of the magnitude of life itself. Life is so multidimensional, if we dare to enter into the life of a poem.

How Is a Poet Inspired?

The poet has the task of crafting language in order to give inspiration, in whatever form, to the reader. The world is the poets canvas. There are some poems waiting to be born, begging to be written. A poet will know when this happens.

A poet can be inspired at any moment, in the most unlikely environments, by the most seemingly, non-poetic topics or situations.

It could be the look in the eye of a passerby, or the sound of an unrelenting wind, the horrific image of a war torn road, the causal glance into the blue of the sky, the complexity of disease or famine, the beauty of love or its painful departure. Poetry is the ability to express what readers need to feel.

Part One: Life ~ V1~

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,

I shall not live in vain;

If I can ease one life the aching,

Or cool one pain,

Or help one fainting robin Unto his nest again,

I shall not live in vain."

Emily Dickinson ~

The heart of a poet belongs to the world. A poet writes for the masses realizing the reader is an individual. Once the poem is written and published for others to read and discover, now the poem belongs to the reader.

It is this relationship between the reader and the poem that is the very heart of a poet. A reader will bring what he brings to the poem and make it meaningful. The poet’s work is accomplished. A poem is like any work of art in this respect, it has individual meaning in understanding and perception.

_________

What Is the Heart of a Poet?

I have written poems in which readers assumed I was writing about a personal experience. This is certainly not the case. A poet must be able to write in such a manner that it conveys a real experience that may be universal in feeling. And of course, poets will use real life experiences as inspiration, and yet be able to separate themselves from the poem and appeal to the whole of humanity.

Composing a poem requires skill, knowledge of language, styles of poetry and figures of speech, feeling, and a selflessness, wanting to express. A poet must read poetry.

A Noiseless, Patient Spider~

" NOISELESS, patient spider,

I mark'd, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;

Mark'd how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,

It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;

Ever unreeling them--ever tirelessly speeding them.

And you, O my Soul, where you stand,

Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,

Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, --seeking the spheres, to connect them

Till the bridge you will need, be form'd--till the ductile anchor hold;

Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul."

Walt Whitman~

Poetry is the lifeblood of civilization, giving it meaning and reason, hopelessness, joy, depravity, serenity, humor, recklessness and abandon, humility, compassion, love, death, life, a sense of purpose. The heart of a poet weaves a thread of humanity throughout the world. Enjoy it, read it often, compose it with love and respect.

Edit:
    5-30-2021

My last four blogs-including the new blog just presented yesterday,
    Previous three blogs have all went --HOT.
    As did the previous 7 blogs not shown on the current listing.
    My hope is that this new goes to the hot stage, as that indicates
    it too has been read by a great many readers..... -Tyr

Most Recent Blogs
    # Blog Title Date Posted Poet

1… New Blog, Poetry, does its beautiful depths enter your heart?
    5/29/2021 Robert Lindley

2…. Hot Blog Second Creation- A Poet's Blog - On Life, Love, Living, Death, Earth And Eternity 5/19/2021 Robert Lindley

3…. Hot Blog First Creation- A Poet's Blog - On Life, Love, Living, Death, Earth And Eternity 5/15/2021 Robert Lindley

4…. Hot Blog New Blog: The Influence Of Greek Mythology Upon Poetry And Modern World
    4/25/2021 Robert Lindley

edit --
    And now only a couple hours after my posting the previous edit-- my new blog has went --HOT....--Tyr

Hot Blog New Blog, Poetry, does its beautiful depths enter your heart?
    5/29/2021 Robert Lindley
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 05-30-2021 at 11:46 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.