Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well... WI isn't looking all that great right now. Doesn't appear to be any slowing down, and there's 2 cases now today in Richland Co north of me where there was 0 yesterday...

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Just yesterday and today, the top 10 states. The increases are frightening.

Today

Yesterday:

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Where the hell is the slow down? ...

5. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Where the hell is the slow down? ...
    I keep telling myself, 'Perspective, keep perspective...' There's 300M people in the US. While this virus is not 'just the flu,' with more testing it's looking like it IS more than the flu for death stats, it's coming down with additional information.

Most people have mild symptoms-less serious than to call a doctor or no symptoms. Of those feeling poorly enough to seek help, most are told to stay home and self-care, which lasts longer than the more familiar flu. In other words, it sucks but most are taking Tylenol, sleeping, and keeping hydrated.

So, perspective. Most of us won't even know if we have it or not. If we do, good. We'll have antibodies to help until there's a vaccine. OTOH, it seems that the more exposure one has to the virus, the worse the outcome. The levels of doctors, nurses, paramedics, etc., getting this are high.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I keep telling myself, 'Perspective, keep perspective...' There's 300M people in the US. While this virus is not 'just the flu,' with more testing it's looking like it IS more than the flu for death stats, it's coming down with additional information.

Most people have mild symptoms-less serious than to call a doctor or no symptoms. Of those feeling poorly enough to seek help, most are told to stay home and self-care, which lasts longer than the more familiar flu. In other words, it sucks but most are taking Tylenol, sleeping, and keeping hydrated.

So, perspective. Most of us won't even know if we have it or not. If we do, good. We'll have antibodies to help until there's a vaccine. OTOH, it seems that the more exposure one has to the virus, the worse the outcome. The levels of doctors, nurses, paramedics, etc., getting this are high.
    I'm hoping that the constant increase in the number of infected is solely due to simply testing and finding them, but they haven't been out spreading it since the shelter in place... HOPING.

9. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Here's some more data that may make others feel better, it does me. Note: it doesn't even mention that US and Germany both have extremely good docs/hospitals and very tested meds in general than other countries. That we are going out on a limb without the long FDA protocols show how seriously the government is fighting this:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/what-th...-case-numbers/

What the Media Isn't Telling You About the United States' Coronavirus Case Numbers
    BY MATT MARGOLIS MARCH 27, 2020CHAT COMMENTS

When President Trump said this week that the United States had done more testing than South Korea, USA Today was quick to fact-check his claim by pointing out, "The United States population is more than six times the size of South Korea’s. On a per-capita basis, South Korea is testing far more of its citizens than the U.S." In this case, the media attempted to use a per capita comparison against Trump. CNN and MSNBC each made similar fact-checks.

On Thursday, the New York Times made a big fuss over the fact that more than 81,321 Americans have been infected with the coronavirus, which is "more cases than China, Italy or any other country has seen."

According to their report, the United States, following "a series of missteps," is now "the epicenter of the pandemic."

But, is it really?

China's confirmed cases topped out at around 80,000, but, as PJM's Victoria Taft noted, China reportedly stopped conducting tests in order to show the world they've contained the spread of the virus. So, comparing any country to China at this point is useless.

In a visual presentation titled "Where the U.S. Stands Now on Coronavirus Testing" the New York Times even used whole numbers for confirmed cases in one slide, and then in the next slide used per capita numbers for testing, in order to paint the United States in the worst light.

SLIDE 1: This week, the number of coronavirus tests in the United States surpassed those in South Korea and Italy — two countries that had been testing more aggressively.

SLIDE 2: But the United States, which has the most known coronavirus cases in the world, continues to lag in tests per capita, according to an analysis of estimates from the COVID Tracking Project. Both South Korea and Italy have much smaller populations than the U.S.

So, why weren't the case numbers adjusted to show them on a per capita basis, the same way testing was?

Well, let's take a look and see why.

Here are the top six countries by confirmed cases (based on the case numbers from the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University as of 2:30 pm ET March 27) in descending order:

USA (94,238)
    Italy (86,498)
    Spain (64,059)
    Germany (49,344)
    Iran (32,332)
    France (29,593)

Now, here are the top six countries by confirmed cases per million people (based on population numbers from the CIA World Fact Book) in descending order:

Italy (1386.13)
    Spain (1280.78)
    Germany (615.57)
    France (436.17)
    Iran (380.72)
    USA (283.30)

Well, isn't that interesting? The United States' confirmed cases per capita are the lowest of the top six countries affected by the virus. Now, there are some who would argue that the United States testing lags behind that of other countries. If we want to assume that there is a discrepancy in testing between countries and that selection bias in testing undercounts the infection rate, then the number of coronavirus deaths is a more accurate way of measuring the impact of the pandemic in each country. So, let's look at total confirmed deaths in descending order.

Italy (9,134)
    Spain (4,934)
    Iran (2,378)
    France (1,698)
    USA (1,438)
    Germany (304)

Germany looks pretty good compared to everyone else, doesn't it? But, let's look at confirmed deaths per million people in descending order, to see how that changes things:

Italy (146.37)
    Spain (98.65)
    Iran (28.00)
    France (25.03)
    USA (4.32)
    Germany (3.79)

Interesting indeed! Germany and the United States have significantly better coronavirus death rates per capita than Italy, Spain, Iran and France. A lot better. This is why the media avoids per capita measurements for confirmed cases, but conveniently remembered when it wanted to fact-check Trump's testing numbers.

The media wants you to believe that the coronavirus in the United States is spiraling out of control the way it did in Italy. Fact check: it isn't.

Note: You can view the data used for this post here. This post has been updated with new information.

11. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

A few days behind, and now caught up - BUT - today's stats are not there yet. I'm not putting differences today as they will seem skewered as I missed a day in there.

--

3-30-2020

Total Confirmed

143,532 US

New York City, New York, US
    Confirmed: 33,768
    Deaths: 776

Westchester, New York, US
    Confirmed: 8,519
    Deaths: 10

Los Angeles, California, US
    Confirmed: 2,147
    Deaths: 37

------------

United Kingdom
    Confirmed: 19,522
    Deaths: 1,228

Italy
    Confirmed: 97,689
    Deaths: 10,779

Spain
    Confirmed: 85,195
    Deaths: 7,340

Germany
    Confirmed: 63,929
    Deaths: 560
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

13. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

No new stats from today yet, but it looks like WI could be flattening it's curve also. I hope so. I'm hoping it's just down to identifying the last of those infected, and they haven't been out spreading it. In any case, we have a way to go yet, it certainly isn't over...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-30-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Delaware somewhat- current stats. My county is New Castle.

509805F6-75B8-4CCB-AAED-E112FC6412D5.jpeg

It has been reported that 3 New Yorkers travelled all the way to Delaware to be treated in our best local hospital. I have a brother and lots of relatives in New York City, and Jim is of course in Westchester, so I have mixed emotions. I understand why someone would want to do this, but is it the right thing to do? (We are a tiny state and have limited resources for our own sick, and we are said to still be approximately 3 weeks from our peak of the virus).

The Governor has issued an order that anyone who comes here must self-quarantine for 14 days. That seems like a joke to me. Unenforceable; plus those coming to a hospital are far from self-quarantining. No word on how many come here from adjoining state Pennsylvania.

What do you all think?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    It has been reported that 3 New Yorkers travelled all the way to Delaware to be treated in our best local hospital. I have a brother and lots of relatives in New York City, and Jim is of course in Westchester, so I have mixed emotions. I understand why someone would want to do this, but is it the right thing to do? (We are a tiny state and have limited resources for our own sick, and we are said to still be approximately 3 weeks from our peak of the virus).

The Governor has issued an order that anyone who comes here must self-quarantine for 14 days. That seems like a joke to me. Unenforceable; plus those coming to a hospital are far from self-quarantining. No word on how many come here from adjoining state Pennsylvania.

What do you all think?
    I am stating this from someone in New York amidst all of this - I don't think folks should be going to other states. Everyone should be staying put for now. Any traveling, any vacations and any interaction with others is a potential passing. I guess I can have it right now but only pass it. So I respect that and will ride it out. I pray I don't need a hospital as I know they will be overwhelmed. But going to other hospitals out of state shouldn't be happening. Not unless directed to do so - and maybe even an ambulance or some other hospital accommodated travel, like life flight. But I highly doubt they do any of this. They are making all kinds of makeshift hospitals and what not, and folks need to be going to such places. I see how bad the hospitals look and I hope I don't need one. But if I have it, I have it, and I need help, a local is just as good and it's not like I'm gonna catch it - I would have have it already before ever going to one.

So no, I don't agree with those folks. We don't know everything and who the hell knows who has what and is passing what. I wouldn't even care if they locked down out of state travel. Just let the otherwise healthy at least drive within the state and still be able to function a little as far as getting medications and groceries. I have protection and I take all precautions. So yeah, I say lock 'em down and don't let them out - as folks are lying and I see it with my own eyes! Anyone can easily go over the border and just ignore any quarantine as they "feel well" - but they may still pass it.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

17. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

So infected cases do seem to be on the downward trend here in Wisco... that is GOOD NEWS... now if it just CONTINUES that way... still only ONE in my county, but I would like to know WHERE. They don't have to give out physical addresses or names, just the TOWN. I think people have a RIGHT TO KNOW that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here are today's numbers and some changes. I know they will change in a few hours as it seems like they update many different times of day.

Italy still not slowing down. UK hit hard in the past 24.

--

3-31-2020

Total Confirmed
    823,479 an increase of 82,499

175,067 US an increase of 31,535

New York City, New York, US
    Confirmed: 38,087 an increase of 4,319
    Deaths: 914

Westchester, New York, US
    Confirmed: 9,326 an increase of 807
    Deaths: 10

Los Angeles, California, US
    Confirmed: 2,505 an increase of 358
    Deaths: 44

-------------

United Kingdom
    Confirmed: 25,150 an increase of an increase of 5,628
    Deaths: 1,789 an increase of 561

Italy
    Confirmed: 105,792 an increase of 8,103
    Deaths: 12,428 an increase of 1,649

Spain
    Confirmed: 94,417 an increase of 9,222
    Deaths: 8,269 an increase of 929

Germany
    Confirmed: 68,180 an increase of 4,251
    Deaths: 682

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

US deaths 3/31 over 4k. Up nearly 1k from 3/30.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Not worried at all. Trump has it under control. Look at his comments. All good!

Jan. 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.” — Trump in a CNBC interview.
    Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for us … that I can assure you.” — Trump in a speech in Michigan.
    Feb. 10: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.” — Trump at the White House. (See our item “Will the New Coronavirus ‘Go Away’ in April?“)
    Feb. 14: “There’s a theory that, in April, when it gets warm — historically, that has been able to kill the virus. So we don’t know yet; we’re not sure yet. But that’s around the corner.” — Trump in speaking to National Border Patrol Council members.
    Feb. 23: “We have it very much under control in this country.” — Trump in speaking to reporters.
    Feb. 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!” — Trump in a tweet.
    Feb. 26: “So we’re at the low level. As they get better, we take them off the list, so that we’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.” — Trump at a White House briefing.
    Feb. 26: “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.” — Trump at a press conference.
    Feb. 26: “I think every aspect of our society should be prepared. I don’t think it’s going to come to that, especially with the fact that we’re going down, not up. We’re going very substantially down, not up.” — Trump at a press conference, when asked if “U.S. schools should be preparing for a coronavirus spreading.”
    Feb. 27: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” — Trump at a White House meeting with African American leaders.
    Feb. 29: “And I’ve gotten to know these professionals. They’re incredible. And everything is under control. I mean, they’re very, very cool. They’ve done it, and they’ve done it well. Everything is really under control.” — Trump in a speech at the CPAC conference outside Washington, D.C.
    March 4: “[W]e have a very small number of people in this country [infected]. We have a big country. The biggest impact we had was when we took the 40-plus people [from a cruise ship]. … We brought them back. We immediately quarantined them. But you add that to the numbers. But if you don’t add that to the numbers, we’re talking about very small numbers in the United States.” — Trump at a White House meeting with airline CEOs.
    March 4: “Well, I think the 3.4% is really a false number.” — Trump in an interview on Fox News, referring to the percentage of diagnosed COVID-19 patients worldwide who had died, as reported by the World Health Organization. (See our item “Trump and the Coronavirus Death Rate.”)
    March 7: “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, we’ve done a great job with it.” — Trump, when asked by reporters if he was concerned about the arrival of the coronavirus in the Washington, D.C., area.
    March 9: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!” — Trump in a tweet.
    March 10: “And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.” — Trump after meeting with Republican senators.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I hope no one takes the trolling bait and moves right along. Take note of the ONE member who continues the trolling through this epidemic while others seem to be more concerned for one another.

23. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post