Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default UK PM, Boris Johnson, tests positive for Covid-19

The title says it all, at this stage.

11.15am, GMT .. the news broke that Boris has the virus. He just has minor symptoms -- a high temperature and a persistent cough. He posted a video on Twitter to announce his situation.

Naturally, he'll be self-isolating immediately. He's well enough to continue on as PM, for the moment, anyway. Should his condition worsen, his 'designated survivor', the Minister who'll take over, is Dominic Raab (a comparative Right-winger and, when it was pertinent, a pro-Brexiter).
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

https://www.newsweek.com/uk-prime-mi...avirus-1494646

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, he revealed on Friday morning.

Johnson said he had "developed mild symptoms" of the virus and intended to continue leading the U.K. government through video conferences in a recorded statement announcing that he had tested positive for COVID-19.

The Prime Minister also said he would be "self-isolating" at his 10 Downing Street residence as he experienced a "persistent cough" and a high temperature.

"Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus," the prime minister tweeted. "I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government's response via video-conference as we fight this virus."
    Link to Boris's video, where he announces his illness ....

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/sta...96858095411200
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-27-2020 at 06:55 AM.

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    The title says it all, at this stage.

11.15am, GMT .. the news broke that Boris has the virus. He just has minor symptoms -- a high temperature and a persistent cough. He posted a video on Twitter to announce his situation.

Naturally, he'll be self-isolating immediately. He's well enough to continue on as PM, for the moment, anyway. Should his condition worsen, his 'designated survivor', the Minister who'll take over, is Dominic Raab (a comparative Right-winger and, when it was pertinent, a pro-Brexiter).
    I would much rather have heard that KAHN got the virus instead of Johnson. Course I'm not wishing it on anyone, but if anyone deserved to catch it by their inept actions that undoubtedly have put millions of people at undue increased risk, it's Kahn.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-27-2020 at 07:01 AM.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Not entirely on topic, but relative... I hope that here in America our president and his inner circle are doing EVERYTHING, HUMANLY, POSSIBLE, to isolate him from coming in contact with the virus. I don't know how old Boris is, but President Trump is getting on in years. I'd hate to lose this president right now. I don't think there's another man like him that's such a workaholic, and seems to relish the stress and challenges of being president.

I do hope Johnson fully recovers though. I think he's definitely a step in the right direction for Britain.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-27-2020 at 07:08 AM.

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I would much rather have preferred to hear KAHN got the virus instead of Johnson. Course I'm not wishing it on anyone, but if anyone deserved to catch it by their inept actions that undoubtedly have worsened the situation, it's Kahn.

Excellent post ... I completely echo it.

My thinking is that if Khan lacks the ability to care about human life, maybe he'll at least care about his own ? Khan's catching this virus might just be a wake-up call for him to put the Koran aside for a few minutes, and actually DO his JOB.

10. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Not entirely on topic, but relative... I hope that here in America our president and his inner circle are doing EVERYTHING, HUMANLY, POSSIBLE, to isolate him from coming in contact with the virus. I don't know how old Boris is, but President Trump is getting on in years. I'd hate to lose this president right now. I don't think there's another man like him that's such a workaholic, and seems to relish the stress and challenges of being president.

I do hope Johnson fully recovers though. I think he's definitely a step in the right direction for Britain.
    Thanks for your thinking on Boris. I agree, though with one small reservation.

I said in another post that to get elected as London Mayor, you need the support of the Muslim contingent there ? Well, as far as I can recall, that assessment came from Boris. And, as a 'Mayoral-hopeful' several years ago, he did put out the statement that Islam 'is a religion of peace'.

He also claimed that he had an ancestor who was Muslim.

Obviously, these were electioneering efforts from Boris, 'suck-up' ones, to get elected .. and, it worked at the time, his being Khan's immediate predecessor for the job of Mayor. Even so, I've not forgotten what he said. Boris will do what it takes to favour his own interests.

That aside .. we DO have the best man in No 10 Downing St at present (Corbyn was orders of magnitude worse, of course !). I wish him well (Boris, that is).

Now, as for Trump ... I agree, it's vitally important he remains isolated as much as humanly possible from any possible sources of the virus. Your country most certainly does need him, at the helm ! That said ... I've also another small reservation ...

Bearing in mind that my main media outlets are British, and they have their own biases ... ours are giving the clear impression that Trump isn't taking the pandemic seriously enough. They originally asserted that he thought Covid-19 was 'a hoax', & I think that many of our people believe he took that position. But now, we're hearing that Trump wants America 'opened up again, within weeks ... hopefully by Easter'.

Our media are touting that as true, and as thoroughly irresponsible and even as evidence of a callous disrespect for human life to favour the economy, instead.

So, what's the truth ? Is Trump just not realising how dangerous the virus is ?

Or is this just a lot of fake news ? Because it does sound like something our Left might dream up.

12. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Default Another senior Minister has Covid-19

The second announcement today, just broadcast on BBC News, is that Matt Hancock, our Health Minister, has also tested positive for Covid-19. [Not the best person in our Government to get it !!]

He, too, is continuing to work on (under self-isolation, of course).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I said in another post that to get elected as London Mayor, you need the support of the Muslim contingent there ? Well, as far as I can recall, that assessment came from Boris. And, as a 'Mayoral-hopeful' several years ago, he did put out the statement that Islam 'is a religion of peace'.

Obviously, these were electioneering efforts from Boris, 'suck-up' ones, to get elected .. and, it worked at the time, his being Khan's immediate predecessor for the job of Mayor. Even so, I've not forgotten what he said. Boris will do what it takes to favour his own interests.

That aside .. we DO have the best man in No 10 Downing St at present (Corbyn was orders of magnitude worse, of course !). I wish him well (Boris, that is).

Now, as for Trump ... I agree, it's vitally important he remains isolated as much as humanly possible from any possible sources of the virus. Your country most certainly does need him, at the helm ! That said ... I've also another small reservation ...

Bearing in mind that my main media outlets are British, and they have their own biases ... ours are giving the clear impression that Trump isn't taking the pandemic seriously enough. They originally asserted that he thought Covid-19 was 'a hoax', & I think that many of our people believe he took that position. But now, we're hearing that Trump wants America 'opened up again, within weeks ... hopefully by Easter'.

Our media are touting that as true, and as thoroughly irresponsible and even as evidence of a callous disrespect for human life to favour the economy, instead.

Or is this just a lot of fake news ? Because it does sound like something our Left might dream up.
    Fake news... on steroids.

President Trump isn't going to just go ROUGE and willy nilly throw caution to the wind and tell everyone everything is fine and go back to business as usual. Just the implication that he'd do something like that is pure, unadulterated, unhinged, TDS garbage... and in laymen's terms, it's BULL SHIT.

Yes he's mentioned that he'd "like" to see, "maybe," portions of America where restrictions could be lifted because the number of infected people is virtually irrelevant. I think that's wise, because the "one shoe fits all" approach for the entire nation isn't really logical. Of course the self distancing and disinfecting and all the usual precautions should... more than likely will... prevail even though low risk areas are put back to work, but I think it makes sense. The sooner we get America back to work, the less damage we'll suffer to our economy.

But it's definitely a "WE'LL SEE" approach right now. NOTHING will change without first making a full assessment of the situation, and the oh so usual trashing of our president by the world's leftists and their irrational hatred for the man is just more overboard garbage... FAKE NEWS.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-27-2020 at 08:22 AM.

15. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I hope the PM gets well quickly.

As for our president. IMO he started off trying to play down the seriousness, even after the cruise ships and nursing homes started. While he came off callous in many people's opinion-focusing on numbers rather than with compassion. He called the media's reporting 'a hoax,' something he's done many times before. It was then said by the left he was calling the virus a 'hoax.' Not so, even the MSM has repeatedly said so, but no matter, it's from the left.

Then he got very serious, his leadership worked and the media couldn't stand that his approval ratings kept going up. For a very non-Republican, republican, Trump couldn't leave success continue. He basically came out at the beginning of the week and said 'this can't go on. Americans don't want to stay home, they want to get to work. It's going to result in suicides, the cure can't be worse than the illness.'

He then went on to say he'd like to see a return to normal by Easter. He did say it would depend on the data, which the doctors were working on. Then some of his biggest supporters came out with statements of support to get back to normal-for the children and everyone's mental health.

Now it sounds like they are going to look at things state by state, county by county on how tight to keep restrictions. Time will tell.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

17. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Fake news... on steroids.

President Trump isn't going to just go ROUGE and willy nilly throw caution to the wind and tell everyone everything is fine and go back to business as usual. Just the implication that he'd do something like that is pure, unadulterated, unhinged, TDS garbage... and in laymen's terms, it's BULL SHIT.

Yes he's mentioned that he'd "like" to see, "maybe," portions of America where restrictions could be lifted because the number of infected people is virtually irrelevant. I think that's wise, because the "one shoe fits all" approach for the entire nation isn't really logical. Of course the self distancing and disinfecting and all the usual precautions should... more than likely will... prevail even though low risk areas are put back to work, but I think it makes sense. The sooner we get America back to work, the less damage we'll suffer to our economy.

But it's definitely a "WE'LL SEE" approach right now. NOTHING will change without first making a full assessment of the situation, and the oh so usual trashing of our president by the world's leftists and their irrational hatred for the man is just more overboard garbage... FAKE NEWS.
    Thanks for that.

I just tried trawling around for articles addressing what the President had said .... and I didn't even have to open the links. The list on my page showed articles on it from obviously Left wing outlets ... ABC News, NBC, Huffington Post (they opened a UK office some time ago, by the way). Etc.

Enough said. When the Left leads on a story, (especially when the BBC and the Guardian get involved) you know that a propaganda advantage is being fought to win.

So, OK .. I'm heartened. Thanks !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I hope the PM gets well quickly.

As for our president. IMO he started off trying to play down the seriousness, even after the cruise ships and nursing homes started. While he came off callous in many people's opinion-focusing on numbers rather than with compassion. He called the media's reporting 'a hoax,' something he's done many times before. It was then said by the left he was calling the virus a 'hoax.' Not so, even the MSM has repeatedly said so, but no matter, it's from the left.

Then he got very serious, his leadership worked and the media couldn't stand that his approval ratings kept going up. For a very non-Republican, republican, Trump couldn't leave success continue. He basically came out at the beginning of the week and said 'this can't go on. Americans don't want to stay home, they want to get to work. It's going to result in suicides, the cure can't be worse than the illness.'

He then went on to say he'd like to see a return to normal by Easter. He did say it would depend on the data, which the doctors were working on. Then some of his biggest supporters came out with statements of support to get back to normal-for the children and everyone's mental health.

Now it sounds like they are going to look at things state by state, county by county on how tight to keep restrictions. Time will tell.
    Thanks for your wishes on Boris's health ... appreciated.

I also note from your post that Trump is adopting his 'wait and see how this develops' approach. 'News' stories I've seen try to skew this to suggest that Trump would take a lot of convincing to NOT press on with his 'conditions are normalising, get back to work' approach.

Time will indeed tell .... BUT .... if the US follows the pattern of infection Italy saw (that looks like it's happening over here) ... you'll be lucky if you see a downturn you can usefully work with before late May. I don't believe any sign of a turnaround is at all likely in the next 3-4 weeks minimum, possibly a lot longer than that.

20. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Thanks for that.

I just tried trawling around for articles addressing what the President had said .... and I didn't even have to open the links. The list on my page showed articles on it from obviously Left wing outlets ... ABC News, NBC, Huffington Post (they opened a UK office some time ago, by the way). Etc.

Enough said. When the Left leads on a story, (especially when the BBC and the Guardian get involved) you know that a propaganda advantage is being fought to win.

So, OK .. I'm heartened. Thanks !
    Try this... https://searchconservative.com/

They do their best to filter out the DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING garbage, and link to stories that are more truthful.

22. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Found this on the BBC's website. Anyone doubting the BBC's biases, and how I've characterised them, can know from this that I've reported on the BBC with accuracy.

THIS is the diet of propaganda spoonfed to UK citizens on an almost daily basis.

See these excerpts:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52012049

Nations, like individuals, reveal themselves at times of crisis. In emergencies of this immense magnitude, it soon becomes evident whether a sitting president is equal to the moment. So what have we learnt about the United States as it confronts this national and global catastrophe? Will lawmakers on Capitol Hill, who have been in a form of legislative lockdown for years now, a paralysis borne of partisanship, rise to the challenge? And what of the man who now sits behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office, who has cloaked himself in the mantle of "wartime president"?

Of the three questions, the last one is the least interesting, largely because Donald Trump's response has been so predictable. He has not changed. He has not grown. He has not admitted errors. He has shown little humility.

Instead, all the hallmarks of his presidency have been on agitated display. The ridiculous boasts - he has awarded himself a 10 out of 10 for his handling of the crisis. The politicisation of what should be the apolitical - he toured the Centers for Disease Control wearing a campaign cap emblazoned with the slogan "Keep America Great".

The mind-bending truth-twisting - he now claims to have fully appreciated the scale of the pandemic early on, despite dismissing and downplaying the threat for weeks. The attacks on the "fakenews" media, including a particularly vicious assault on a White House reporter who asked what was his message to frightened Americans: "I tell them you are a terrible reporter." His pettiness and peevishness - mocking Senator Mitt Romney, the only Republican who voted at the end of the impeachment trial for his removal from office, for going into isolation.

His continued attacks on government institutions in the forefront of confronting the crisis - "the Deep State Department" is how he described the State Department from his presidential podium the morning after it issued its most extreme travel advisory urging Americans to refrain from all international travel. His obsession with ratings, or in this instance, confirmed case numbers - he stopped a cruise ship docking on the West Coast, noting: "I like the numbers where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault." His compulsion for hype - declaring the combination of hydroxycholoroquine and azithromycin "one of the biggest game-changers in the history of medicine," even as medical officials warn against offering false hope.

His lack of empathy. Rather than soothing words for relatives of those who have died, or words of encouragement and appreciation for those in the medical trenches, Trump's daily White House briefings commonly start with a shower of self-congratulation. After Trump has spoken, Mike Pence, his loyal deputy, usually delivers a paean of praise to the president in that Pyongyang-on-the-Potomac style he has perfected over the past three years. Trump's narcissistic hunger for adoration seems impossible to sate. Instead of a wartime president, he has sounded at times like a sun king.

Then there is the xenophobia that has always been the sine qua non of his political business model - repeatedly he describes the disease as the "Chinese virus". Just as he scapegoated China and Mexican immigrants for decimating America's industrial heartland ahead of the 2016 presidential election, he is blaming Beijing for the coronavirus outbreak in an attempt to win re-election.
    Here, the BBC widens its attack, to attack an aspect of American life ... sitting in judgment on your country:

Once again, those who live in developed nations have been left to ponder why the world's richest country does not have a system of universal healthcare. Ten years after the passage of Obamacare, more than 26 million Americans do not have health insurance.

Rather than a coming together, the crisis has demonstrated how for decades Americans have conducted a political version of social distancing: the herd-like clustering of conservatives and liberals into like-minded communities caused by the allergic reaction to compatriots holding opposing political views. Once again, we have seen the familiar two Americas divide, the usual knee-jerk tribalism. Republicans have been twice as likely as Democrats to view coronavirus coverage as exaggerated. Three-quarters of Republicans say they trust the information coming from the president, whereas the figure among Democrats is just 8%.

As the Reverend Josh King told the Washington Post despairingly: "In your more politically conservative regions, closing is not interpreted as caring for you. It's interpreted as liberalism." Even on 13 March, when the CDC projected that up to 214 millions could be infected, Sean Davis, the co-founder of the right-wing website, The Federalist, tweeted: "Corporate political media hate you, they hate the country, and they will stop at nothing to reclaim power to rule over you. If that means destroying the economy via a panic they helped incite, all while running interference for the communist country that started it, so be it."

The latest Gallup polling shows the split: 94% of Republicans approve of his handling of the crisis, compared with 27% of Democrats. But overall, six out of ten Americans approve, pushing his approval rating up again to 49%, matching the highest score of his presidency. As with previous crises, such as 9/11, Americans tend to rally around the presidency, although Donald Trump remains a deeply polarising figure.
    'Those who live in developed nations' ... see that ? An evident attempt to paint America as not qualifying as one, because you don't run a clone of our - highly imperfect !! - NHS.

You see how the BBC spoonfeeds its propaganda to us, feeds us a constant diet of clear bias, dressed up so as to appear 'analytical, therefore, dispassionate and reliable'. Where in truth, they're just as deeply infected with their judgmental anti-Trump hatreds as the worst of your own Left !
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-27-2020 at 09:40 AM.

24. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Found this on the BBC's website. Anyone doubting the BBC's biases, and how I've characterised them, can know from this that I've reported on the BBC with accuracy.

THIS is the diet of propaganda spoonfed to UK citizens on an almost daily basis.

See these excerpts:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52012049

Here, the BBC widens its attack, to attack an aspect of American life ... sitting in judgment on your country:

'Those who live in developed nations' ... see that ? An evident attempt to paint America as not qualifying as one, because you don't run a clone of our - highly imperfect !! - NHS.

You see how the BBC spoonfeeds its propaganda to us, feeds us a constant diet of clear bias, dressed up so as to appear 'analytical, therefore, dispassionate and reliable'. Where in truth, they're just as deeply infected with their judgmental anti-Trump hatreds as the worst of your own Left !
    Good Lord...

And here I thought the UK was a decent ally of America. Surely that would appear to be in question.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-27-2020 at 09:59 AM.

26. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Good Lord...
    Quite. But this is typical of the BBC ... a news outfit that, whenever asked or challenged, fiercely defends its 'neutrality'.

The BBC is the UK's State broadcaster. UK citizens are COMPELLED, BY LAW, to fund all this. Not paying a licence fee to the BBC is actually a criminal offence here (though, to be fair, Boris is considering decriminalisation of non-payment).

In the days of GWB's Presidency, news reporters reported (I assume ?) at least relatively accurately on stories involving him. But they did so in a sneering way. It became no secret (because the BBC had an interest in seeing to it that we all thought this) that he was regarded as as being an idiot, possessing an 'ignorant' worldview. A satirical new quiz, called 'Have I Got News For You', played clips designed to push that characterisation for all it was worth.

We had a total lack of attack-pieces against Obama, though. 'Strangely'.

You know, HPD ... I'd absolutely love it if Americans turned away from the BBC. They should, in my view, given the obvious truth of its anti-American bias. Your people are offered BBC programming as a subscription service, is that correct ? I'd love that market to run dry.

As for us being a 'decent ally' of America (just seen that addition !) ... well ... we WOULD be, if all the propaganda ended. But as I've been at pains to say, at length, and in quite a few posts ... the Left has a stranglehold over opinions and attitudes here. Don't turn away from the UK as 'unworthy' allies ... not when we're being royally conned by our own Left. We are fundamentally decent people.

Our big mistake has been - generations ago - to open the door to militant Leftism. They worked hard, and over a VERY considerable period, to terraform attitudes away from our more natural inclination to be a Conservative people.

It says something for that spirit that we've voted Conservatives into power for the past ten years (even if a few of them were in coalition with the LibDems). But underpinning all that has been a drip-drip-dripfeeding of Lefties biases and lies, to make us adopt thinking consistent with the Left's agenda.

Approval of strong gun laws. A 'couldn't care less' attitude to adoption. Near-total 'love' for our NHS, and judgmentality against anyone disagreeing. Anti-Islamism is 'automatically racist, actionable in law'.

The Left is responsible for all that, by instilling attitudes that insist we think this way.

Don't kid yourself that the US wouldn't follow a similar path, IF the Left was given comparable opportunity to work on peoples' thinking. Which is why I say, and why I will always say, that you MUST keep your Left as permanently starved of power as possible.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-27-2020 at 10:13 AM.