Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Small Example of Dropping Social Distancing too Early

Related to this earlier thread: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthre...ity#post954140

On bringing back their students:

https://hotair.com/headlines/archive...s-coronavirus/

Liberty University Brings Back Its Students — And Coronavirus, Too

“We’ve lost the ability to corral this thing,” Dr. Thomas W. Eppes Jr. said he told Mr. Falwell. But he did not urge him to close the school. “I just am not going to be so presumptuous as to say, ‘This is what you should do and this is what you shouldn’t do,’” Dr. Eppes said in an interview.
    So Mr. Falwell — a staunch ally of President Trump and an influential voice in the evangelical world — reopened the university last week, igniting a firestorm, epidemiologically and otherwise. As of Friday, Dr. Eppes said, nearly a dozen Liberty students were sick with symptoms that suggest Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. Three were referred to local hospital centers for testing. Another eight were told to self-isolate.
    “Liberty will be notifying the community as deemed appropriate and required by law,” Mr. Falwell said in an interview on Sunday when confronted with the numbers. He added that any student returning now to campus would be required to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Full link to article the above is from: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/u...y-falwell.html

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

And there you have it.

We will all die from either stubbornness, greed, or stupidity.

Secondary cause: COVID-19
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, OAK liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    And there you have it.

We will all die from either stubbornness, greed, or stupidity.

Secondary cause: COVID-19
    A lot will die from someone else's stubborness, greed and stupidity.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, OAK liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Since we've heard from the DNC's house propaganda organ, the New York Times, just wondering if anyone was interested in Liberty's side of the story. If so, here it is:

https://www.liberty.edu/news/index.c...495&MID=379359

8. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    Since we've heard from the DNC's house propaganda organ, the New York Times, just wondering if anyone was interested in Liberty's side of the story. If so, here it is:

https://www.liberty.edu/news/index.c...495&MID=379359
    We should have known the democrap propaganda wing was going to POUNCE in any way possible on Liberty University, since it's touted by RUSH LIMBAUGH and is a CONSERVATIVE, ANTI LEFTIST enclave.

Fake news strikes again. Trash the conservatives. Good Lord the left and their freakin' garbage media toilet is getting old.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-30-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Seriously, it's just as wrong for the right to applaud poor civic behavior from their side, as it is from the left. Yes, the difference is that some on the right will criticize, always have.

If this stunt hadn't been pulled by Falwell, the Times wouldn't have written the article. It's not just the fake news that have criticized, but medical professionals too. There are reasons that the students should be off campus, not together, just like they shouldn't be on the beaches, in parks playing basketball, etc.

But you all keep making excuses for the right, regardless of the outcome. Oh yeah, keep bitching about how you give a damn about good civic behaviors, like the founders expected.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The new york slimes is, well, slimy.
    Having said that, I don't understand liberty university bringing students back for normal classes at this point.. Whether they have tested positive or not. Whether students have been in new york or not, etc

12. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Having said that, I don't understand liberty university bringing students back for normal classes at this point.. Whether they have tested positive or not. Whether students have been in new york or not, etc
    I've criticized the Times and WaPo and the rest for more than a decade. When it comes to fake news, meaning biases and putting the others in the worst light possible, gateway, breitbart, and others do that too. Doesn't mean that the core of what any of them writing is not true, they all present in the worst light possible for those there bias is against.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Me neither. They claimed there were courses that couldn't be offered online, but now that's what they are doing. So the bottom line, they just got kids into dorms for the most part, but are offering only online.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

OK... I take back everything I said... I'm wrong for criticizing the democrat propaganda wing. They're pillars of virtue and truth...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    OK... I take back everything I said... I'm wrong for criticizing the democrat propaganda wing. They're pillars of virtue and truth...
    Nah, just do what you do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Seriously, it's just as wrong for the right to applaud poor civic behavior from their side, as it is from the left. Yes, the difference is that some on the right will criticize, always have.

If this stunt hadn't been pulled by Falwell, the Times wouldn't have written the article. It's not just the fake news that have criticized, but medical professionals too. There are reasons that the students should be off campus, not together, just like they shouldn't be on the beaches, in parks playing basketball, etc.

But you all keep making excuses for the right, regardless of the outcome. Oh yeah, keep bitching about how you give a damn about good civic behaviors, like the founders expected.
    Seriously, I agree with you on the poor civic behavior topic. But I seriously wonder if you bothered to watch the CNN interview with Dr. Falwell or read the University's response to your original post. If you did, I'm not sure you could honestly call his decision a stunt. They did not go back to business as usual. They left the dorms open to the international students and others stranded in Lynchburg. With all the travel bans in place, what else could they do? Force all students out onto the streets with no place to go?

Gov. Northam (no friend of Dr. Falwell or Liberty U.), sent his State Health Inspectors in and they came away complimenting Liberty on the accommodations made for the students and said Liberty should serve as a model for other operations throughout the State.

Given the NYT's track record on Russia, Russia, Russia, the Mueller Investigation, the Impeachment Trial and the latest crisis, COVID-19, I prefer to look a little deeper into a story before blindly accepting the Times' reportage. I guess that's how sensationalized reporting on the latest unforgivable stunt by an Evangelical university leads to opinions like this on the editorial page: https://townhall.com/columnists/mich...erica-n2565882

All I did was present Falwell/Liberty's side of the argument without comment. I don't believe I made excuses for anyone's behavior or got bitchy about not being credited with upholding the honor of our founding fathers. I just felt that what Liberty did was the christian thing to do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    Seriously, I agree with you on the poor civic behavior topic. But I seriously wonder if you bothered to watch the CNN interview with Dr. Falwell or read the University's response to your original post. If you did, I'm not sure you could honestly call his decision a stunt. They did not go back to business as usual. They left the dorms open to the international students and others stranded in Lynchburg. With all the travel bans in place, what else could they do? Force all students out onto the streets with no place to go?

Gov. Northam (no friend of Dr. Falwell or Liberty U.), sent his State Health Inspectors in and they came away complimenting Liberty on the accommodations made for the students and said Liberty should serve as a model for other operations throughout the State.

Given the NYT's track record on Russia, Russia, Russia, the Mueller Investigation, the Impeachment Trial and the latest crisis, COVID-19, I prefer to look a little deeper into a story before blindly accepting the Times' reportage. I guess that's how sensationalized reporting on the latest unforgivable stunt by an Evangelical university leads to opinions like this on the editorial page: https://townhall.com/columnists/mich...erica-n2565882

All I did was present Falwell/Liberty's side of the argument without comment. I don't believe I made excuses for anyone's behavior or got bitchy about not being credited with upholding the honor of our founding fathers. I just felt that what Liberty did was the christian thing to do.
    I do not watch CNN, I saw snippets on FOX and read about it. My take-a-way from the get go, not the Times article is that Falwell is a sycophant of Trump's, something I'm not sure the president would like as much as many would assume.

I think Falwell heard Trump's remarks about 'can't stay shut down,' and wanted to 'back him.' Hell of a way to do it. Then others come along and say, yeah! Real patriotism.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I do not watch CNN, I saw snippets on FOX and read about it. My take-a-way from the get go, not the Times article is that Falwell is a sycophant of Trump's, something I'm not sure the president would like as much as many would assume.

I think Falwell heard Trump's remarks about 'can't stay shut down,' and wanted to 'back him.' Hell of a way to do it. Then others come along and say, yeah! Real patriotism.
    ICYMI from my post on another thread:

If you can look past your personal distaste for the man and listen to the story outside the filter of American Pravda (NYT), I'm not sure how the actual story jives with your interpretation. Also, this was no softball interview. Trust me, I'm sure CNN hates Dr. Falwell even more than you do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Tell me one good reason this was a good idea, I really don't give a damn about his intentions. If Liberty is allowed to do it, why not all? They are somehow superior?

You don't say that following the guidelines are imperative, except for this person or place. Food is necessary, education today is not, especially when most of the work can be accomplished online. What can't be, can be done later.